University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

Greek life is a part of TU, but it's not the only means of social life. There is a club for just about everything. I started my only club called the Student Cinema Organization, in which students go out and create short-films for entertainment and film festivals. Dorm life is fairly active, and the Residence Life team makes sure to host activities for students to get to know each other. Football is the most popular sporting event, although basketball is prominent as well. Partying is common place because TU is a wet campus, but it's not the only activity for a Saturday night. Clubs host events, and you could always go out on the town for dinner or a movie.

There is a special residence hall reserved for only freshmen, and it is a very community-oriented place. I made a ton of friends there and I believe that by the end of the year I knew almost every person in the building. In this building, doors are left open and students interact a lot. Lottie Jane, the all-girls hall, is like a convent. I would not recommend it. I met my closest friends at Orientation the first week of school. We are all still very close and lived in the freshman hall together. There is a group of about 30 of us that eat dinner together once a week in the cafeteria. The table is really long...

I met my first friends in my dorm last year, then kept meeting friends of friends until I found the people I am closest to. Tulsa has a great group of people who don't drink or party, which is where I have found myself. We get big into TV shows (LOST and the Office), play lots of Mafia and other random games, and play plenty of intramurals and stuff. It's not so much what you're doing, it's the people you're with. We try to mix it up and keep it exciting. A lot of times we get carried away hanging out past 1 or 2 on weeknights.

There is always something to do on and off campus. You would not have to leave camnpus ever if you didn' want to. They always say you can do everything in college but sleep. This couldn't be more true. The things to do and the activities available are endless. There is so many fun and interesting things to do on campus. students are also very integrated with the city and the city loves us.

Doors are always locked at TU. The inner city is still nearby. I am involved with the staff on campus for residential life. The most popular activities are those that include free food and music. Football and basketball games also draw crowds. Fraternities and sororities are not important at all to have a good social life. It can, in fact, seperate a student from the rest of the student body.

Students leave their doors open, we have tons of guest speakers and sports events. If your awake at 2 am on tuesday your in the tornado shelter waiting for the sirens to go off. The party scene is huge. You can do whatever you want that doesnt involve drinking. They even have Video game tournaments.

I don't know about the social life. I made friends early at TU and my social life revolved around them. I did not feel it necessary to join any formal social group.

they have a lot of activities...go online and find out. the social life is quiet and people are really nice (not all of them).

Social life on the TU campus is very vibrant. Whether you like seeing plays, playing sports, or partying it up, there is always something for you to do. Twin South Hall has an array of activities every semester for students to get involved in from movie nights to playing tag. Some activities that happen every year are the "Screw Your Roommate" dance in which you set them up with a date, the Toilet Bowl (a flag football competition), Spring Fest, and Homecoming. Both Homecoming and Spring Fest are a week full of fun events and games. Last year at Spring Fest, TU brought in Ben Folds. All the students got to go to the concert for free. Greek Life on the TU campus is great for those who want it. As a person who was non Greek for most of their freshman year, and then joined a sorority, I have seen both sides of Greek Life. As a non Greek, I had many friends who were Greek and many who were not. Greek Life is not a huge part of the TU campus, but it is a part of it. Each sorority and fraternity is a close knit band of sisters or brothers that would do anything for another of their house. It's a support system to help you through your college career. In my experience, I found that being in a sorority at the University of Tulsa is an amazing experience with opportunities for growth that I never imagined. Through the sorority I have become a leader, I've become more outgoing and self-confident. I owe a lot to my fellow sisters.

one thing that TU does very well is provide students with an opportunity to meet others via freshman orientation. without it, i probably only would've found friends within my major, since they're the ones i see the most of in all my classes. but if you allow yourself to take part in the silly orientation games, you might just meet some really cool people that you might not have otherwise. the dorms vary greatly, depending on which one you're in; it can even vary from floor to floor! it's really just the luck of the draw whether or not you're going to be living with the gregarious types or the reserved types. my freshman year i lived in a dorm where everyone knew everyone and had their doors open at all times, but my sophomore year i knew maybe one person on my whole floor because everyone was so private. a lot of people go greek, but it's not the only place to find parties on campus; in fact, most people prefer parties at the apartments, it seems. people do lots of things on the weekend besides drinking; it can be anything from having a movie night to playing a board game to bible study, it all depends on what you're interested in.