University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

The social live is good. The school holds many campus activities, as well as the many organizations on campus. During the week, it's not hard to find free food. There is always free lunch on Tuesday-Thursday. Athletics are fairly popular, & the school gives many incentives to go, like free shirts. Concerning parties, it's somewhat hard to find parties on Mondays, get togethers are more common than full blown parties. But there is some competition among non-greek students on how successful their party is. I have more than one friend who goes to parties, but don't drink. There isn't alot of peer pressure to do so. But no many go off campus, unless they are from the Tulsa area, or have friends from the Tulsa area. You have to know the city to know what is going on. Most everyone on campus is friendly, it's very easy to meet people. There is a bonfire every year which is fun. It is somewhat difficult to keep track of what exactly is going on, since there are so many events. There are plenty of guest speakers for each college.

If you want to do something on campus every single night there is probally something going on. From music to parties, there is always something to attend. When I lived in the dorm it was like I had 50 sisters that I could go and see anytime I wanted to. The dorm life is fun and you have a sponsor on each floor that is in charge of different events so everyone can get involved. There are so many organizations on campus and each organization coordinates different speakers to come and visit, you also can many times receive extra credit for attending them! The greek system is present and pretty large for a smaller school but it is not the typical rich blonds that you see in movies. It is a very diverse group of girls who are interested in the sisterhood. Partying and drinking are really up to you, there are always events where you can do this, but there are many people who do not and you should never feel pessured to do so.

Student Association is TU's version of the typical high school student council. In the dorms just depends some people leave their doors open. A lot of people will hang out in the lobbies and study or do whatever out there. I meet my closest friends during the first week of school, Freshman Orientation. Also I met some of my friends through my campus ministry Student Mobilization. I would say a fair amount of people go out and support the Golden Hurricane athletics. The dating scene here is the same as it would be anywhere else... Greek Life is prominant on campus, but there are still plenty that aren't greek. On a Saturday night you can go to a ball game, go hang out at an apartment, get together and play games. Off campus there are a lot of different things to do throughout Tulsa.

Various organizations and academic departments sponsor guest speakers, film showings, and other activities for student enjoyment. All student theater productions are also free for students on opening night. The university does allow students to consume alcohol on campus in keeping with state and national regulations, and the various fraternities take turns throwing great theme parties for the student body. Students at TU work hard during the week (even the library keeps the reference staff available until late in the evening), but we know how to have fun on the weekend. Athletic events and student association events are very popular with students. Greek life definitely isn't mandatory (Greek/Non-Greek relations are excellent), but it is a great way to get involved on campus.

In TU dorms, people generally leave their doors open when they aren't busy, to show they are there for any one. Parties go on every night, and on weekends they go wild, especially after a football game. If you don't want to drink, which almost everyone does, you can still go to a party and choose not to drink. The best parties are in apartments rather than fraternities, because they are generally smaller and people are a lot more open to discussion rather than dancing. Plus fraternities are known for being really gross and dirty on party nights. Off campus has a lot of options too: Starbucks, local coffee houses, MacNellie's Irish Pub, and of course a midnight run to McDonalds is key.

There is always a homecoming bonfire that I look forward to. There is also springfest which is always a lot of fun. I don't think fraternities/sororities are very important. Yeah you can make a lot of friends, but so can other people who are not in one. It also takes up time and money. I see parties going on every single weekend. Even ones going on throughout the week. When I go off campus I normally just go out to eat with friends or watch a movie and go shopping or go bowling.

There is always something going on at TU. If its not the fraternities or Sororities having some party then its SA holding and event. There are always intermurals teams to play on all throughout the year. It is a lot of fun to go and watch your friends play too

Greek Life! Campus Ministries (StuMo) Athletics are a blast! Tons of stuff to do on campus all of the time. The city of Tulsa also has a ton of stuff to do, great food, good times.