University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

TU has a great small campus atmosphere. It is also really friendly. From the start at orientation week, freshmen are welcomed into the Tulsa community. One downside of Tulsa is it doesn't really knock anybody over when you tell them that you go there... mainly because our football and basketball teams aren't tier 1 (although they are making strides). However, Tulsa has some great programs, especially in Engineering and Business. Tulsa is definitely not a college town... and there's definitely not as much to do here as there are in a lot of other places. Every incoming group of freshmen brings in more school pride than the previous group... Tulsa is definitely on the rise, with major construction projects which should be completed by the end of the '08-'09 school year, an increasingly strong student body, and improving sports programs. We hang out on the "U" a lot, which is a grassy area surrounded by buildings. It's a great place to relax. Students complain about the cafeteria a lot, because it is a

TU is a great school which offers an amazing education with small classes, as well as a great social life. The professors are amazing and most of them allow you to get involved in research or their department somehow. The school is just right in terms of size. I wouldn't want my classes any smaller or any bigger. When I tell people I go to TU, they are usually very happy and know that I will get the best education there and have a great time. TU's administration is great. They are very available to the students and really don't just want the paycheck--they want to help you succeed and be happy. ACAC is a big hangout, as well as the dorms and the Greek houses. However, I wasn't involved in anything Greek and I always had a safe, fun place to hang out. It's not really a "college town" but it's a great beautiful city. There is tons of school pride. One of the biggest examples of this is at Football games. I never ever thought I would like going to the games, but it's great just because of the people.

I grew up about twenty minutes outside of Tulsa, and I decided to come to TU because everyone I graduated with went to either the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University, or Tulsa Community College. Attending TU would make me different and force me to make new friends. I could not have asked for a better school. Though excruciatingly small at times (only 4,000 students currently enrolled!), TU has always had everything I needed. I love the fact that my biggest class has only had about fifty students. My professors know me by name and say hi to me when I see them outside of class. The people here are incredibly nice for the most part, and groups of friends intermingle. I have made some of the best friends I have ever had, and hope to have them for life. I will never forget sledding out on the intramural field on a construction sign at one in the morning! TU is an exemplary place for someone to have the "college experience" without being overwhelmed.

TU is a small, private university, and I think that's the biggest thing you need to know. The student body is pretty small and there are people here from all over the place. I lived with girls from Vietnam and had some friends from Ireland. Class sizes are very small compared to your typical state schools, which is nice because your professors always know you, but it also means most classes have attendance requirements. I don't think there's much of a "campus life", not even close to what I've seen at other schools. If you're looking for a school with an active social scene, I'd skip this one. People are very serious about their studies and that usually takes priority. I spend most of my time off campus. Tulsa is far from a college town, but it's not a bad place to live. There's plenty to do and it really is a city, not the small farm town out-of-staters like to imagine.

I like the campus a lot. All the buildings match and I think it looks very classy. I also loved the fact that almost everyone lives on campus. That way you are never far from the friends that you don't live with. The apartments are very nice and that is what keeps people on campus. The facilities are also some of the best in the nation. Playing a college sport I got to view a lot of campuses and very very few have facilities like ours. When I have said I went to TU I get nothing but great responses and most people say I have heard wonderful things about that school.

When I tell people I am going to TU, they generally have to think about where Tulsa is. The next comment I hear is that I should watch out for tornadoes. In reality there is much to do in Tulsa besides hide from tornadoes that gives TU students a lot of options. I believe the most frequent complaint is that there are cliques on campus that resemble high school, specifically among those involved in greek life. Another big complaint is that the athletes are seperated from the rest of the student body.

TU is full of character. You can go to a big state school and have a great college experience. But go to TU and you will have the great college experience, but that is also unique and unlike any state school. It has the pride and spirit of a large school but all the benefits of a small school. The people here are spirited, grounded, and a lot of fun. They truely care about you.

TU has a great number of students for someone who is looking for small but not minute. However, you do have to look closely for people who share the same interests as you. If you are uninvolved, it will be more difficult for you to find someone with whom you get along.

Best thing about TU is the teachers. i would get better food in the cafeteria. School size is just right. I spend most of my time in my dorm.

The best thing about TU is that since it's a small school, everyone is really close to you and everything is easily accessible to the students living on campus. The only thing I'd like to change is that the transport service within TU is kinda slow and I'd like to see a major change in this system. TU is just the right size that any student would want. People are impressed when I say to them that I go to TU because TU being a small sized school ranks 91st all over the nation and for a school like TU's size being in the top 100 schools list is really something to feel proud about. Since I'm a Petroleum Engineering student, I usually spend my time at Keplinger Hall (Engineering and Science building) and at times I catch up with friends at restaurants located on campus or just any place where we can get together easily. TU's administration is very strong, updated, accurate and very precise. The latest controversy of misery is what I should say was when TU lost a student who died due to an overdose of drugs and he was a freshman student, class of 2011. But, keeping all the controversies aside, students at TU have a lot of school pride. During football and basketball matches, the students just go wild to support TU its players. Students mostly wear TU t-shirts and other accessories that bear the school's pride. Since I am only a freshman student, I haven't come across any unusual things in and around TU. One experience that I'll always remember would be the geology field trip that I had in a near by location in Tulsa where hiking was a bit risky but a whole lot of fun. Students most frequently complain about the cafeteria's food and the transport service on campus.