University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

TU is a fantastic university. It's the perfect-size and we're like a big family. The worst part of it is that as the university tries to put itself on the map it feels like the administration is losing their focus on the students. Size-wise, we're just right. Your classes are fairly small which provides opportunities to ask questions and engage in discussions. The campus is easy to walk, you don't need to have another mode of transportation to get around campus (although a bike or a car is nice to have to get to the store). You can't walk around campus without running into people you know, but it's large enough to avoid that ex, at least most of the time. People in Tulsa think very highly of TU. Our students rarely get into trouble. People spend time, mostly on campus, especially when they live there. The residences are nice enough that they make a really good place to hang out. The school pride we have is amazing! It can rival that of the biggest schools in the nation. We love our athletics and go out to support our teams at every opportunity, even if it means painfully long bus-rides. The most frequent complaints are that the administration is forgetting about us. They forget that it is already expensive to go to TU and continue to charge us and raise the prices for everything.

The school is really small, and that's perfect. You see people walking around campus you know but sometimes you won't know anyone at a party. Tulsa is not a college town, but it's becoming college friendly. The administration is really corrupt, they don't spend money on education, but rather on building projects and athletics, leaving kids with huge fines for paying for departmental supplies, which should be provided by the school. Construction is everywhere on campus and it is nicknamed "TU Department of Holes" because there are deep holes just everywhere on campus. Some are wondering if they're searching for treasure under the U. The biggest problem at TU is the price of tuition. No one seems to know where it goes and in the art department you sometimes have to pay for hundreds of dollars worth of supplies, none payed for by the department, they usually come out of professor's paychecks. It seems to me that the administration is just getting a huge paycheck because professors don't get payed much and students don't get much. Its a real corrupt system, which has repeatedly stated it doesn't want to improve academics of departments if it means losing money.

I do wish that the TU students were more active and responsive to social events. I love TU and the overall campus and just everything about it is pretty great. The size is just perfect because it's not too large and the class sizes are normal. We get better interaction with other students and the professors as well. It really is a "home away from home". The administration could change their communication skills. I find myself going to one building with one question and they tell me to go to another building to get the answer. Although there isn't a lot of places to go on campus, it is nice to just sit out on the grassy area in the front of campus on a nice day and just read a book or relax. The most frequent complaints I think I hear about are the cafeteria food choices and the shuttles. They need more healthier foods to put in the cafeteria. And the shuttles should drive around all the time instead of having students wait on them not knowing when they will come when we have a class soon that we need to get to. Overall though, I feel that TU is one the greatest universities around!

TU is a small Division 1 school with a big feel. The community on campus is incredible. Some may say that TU is too small, but really it is just right, you always will know someone, but there will always be people you don't know too. Majority of my time is spent in my dorm, friends apartments, in the business hall, and our union. Tulsa is not really a 'college town' but I love the city. Our biggest controversy has been the new campus wide wireless internet, still working out some bugs, but its getting faster and better. People are proud to go to the University of Tulsa. We were conference champions in Mens and Womens Tennis, womens golf, mens soccer, womens volleyball, College Basketball Invitational Champions, and GMAC Bowl winners. So we have a lot of good things going for us. One thing that is unique to TU is the amount of diversity we have. There are many students from different countries and places across the US. The thing I will always remember is my first week on campus. Probably one of the most fun weeks, I met so many people and laughed more than ever.

The best thing about TU is the people. The students and faculty at TU are geniunely some of the nicest people you will ever get to know. When I came to TU as a freshman I literally knew not a single person, but as soon as I set foot on campus I met so many people! Older students were willing to show me around and introduce me to their friends. Other new students wanted to get to know me and hang out. I instantly felt like I was at home. Many people get excited about Football and Men's Basketball. During the seasons of those two sports, we have excellent turn outs at games. People wear blue, they paint themselves blue and gold, and chant and cheer for the entire game. These games are some of the best experiences I've had. But students don't support the other teams that much. If I could change one thing about TU, I would have the other sports get as much enthusiasm from our students as Football and Men's Basketball.

the best thing about TU is the size. it's big enough that i meet new people all the time, but small enough that i can also recognize someone just about everywhere i go on campus. i spend most of my free time hanging out in my apartment/dorm, which is true for most students. it seems to me that TU's school pride is growing year by year, which is encouraging. the biggest student complaint is PARKING. the school boasts about all the new housing on campus, but not only did they not provide enough space to accommodate the new resident's cars, they also hiked the rate for a parking permit waaay up. the administration will listen to you if you literally walk over to the administration building (i once walked into the president's office to make a complaint, and wasn't turned away), but they remain blissfully ignorant when any kind of email correspondence is attempted.

TU puts students first. During multiple large scale construction projects, the university opened replacement computer labs and had a modified shuttle system to help students maneuver the construction. Tulsa is a great city with lots of live music venues, athletic teams (baseball, basketball, and hockey), festivals, and museums (two of which have partnerships with the university. There is a mall, an upscale shopping district, two movie theaters, and several other attractions close to campus. School pride is evident at campus athletic events, where students join together in the "Wear Blue" campaign. Athletic tickets, Springfest concert tickets, numerous t-shirts, and goodies ranging from lawn chairs to free plants are all free for students. TU offers an extremely high quality of life for students.

It's a nice small school. There is a decent amount of partying done by greeks and athletes. Football is big, classes are small, teachers are nice. There isn't much to do outside of campus and not much of a public transportation system to get to the few places that are worth going to. You will definitely get the college experience without having to deal with outrageously huge classes. Our financial aid office is pretty generous too. If I wasn't a Petroleum Engineering major, i probably wouldn't be here just because everyone is so conservative and this isn't the environment i'm used to as somefrom from a big and lively city like LA.

I love how TU is a community; you are never just a number to any teacher or student. Everyone seems to care about everyone. Even the greek system on TU's campus is involved without being exclusive to any one type of person or sterotype. TU is also not a college town, there are a lot of other things to do in Tulsa and you can get away when you need to, which you will. TU also just started the "wear blue" campaign and the turn out at many sporting events has improved 100% since I started there in 2003. It was the best years of my life, so far, and I would not change one bit of it!

I definitely love the people here. Everyone is so nice and friendly. You know pretty much everyone on campus its great! I like the size of our school but many people may think its a little small. I love the small atmosphere though, its great because you really get to know everyone and I always see my friends I know on my way to classes. Most of my friends back home think I'm crazy for going so far away but they really do not have an opinion either way.