University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

If I could go back in time and give my high school self advice, I would remind myself that studying is not the end-all, be-all of life. Absolutely, academics are so important and should never be put on the side if a big test or project is approaching. In fact, doing well in school is how I ended up being able to afford college. Studying does not need to be chosen over everything else every time. Give yourself space to hang out with friends and get more involved in community outreach and leadership activities, because relationships with people are much more important than a stellar GPA. It is okay to take a break from trying to exceed every expectation in the classroom and enjoy your life.

Pursue more scholarships because your family will be hit hard financially with your brother also going to college then getting a second kind of cancer and will lose over half our business. Line up more medical field shadowing opportunities for the first two years. Take advantage of tutoring for the transition during freshman year. Do not be afraid to talk to your professors the first year, they are very accessible and do not feel intimidated. Do not underestimate yourself because a quarter of your classmates are national merit scholars and that 80% of them came from private schools. Overall, do your best but do not beat yourself up if you do not make a 4.0 as long as you did your best.

You can get a degree anywhere. Going to college is less about the prestige of your campus, and more about the person you become while you are there. Does the learning environment suit you? Do the class sizes? Do they even have the major you're looking for? More importantly, does it seem like you could fit in with the campus citizenry? These are the kinds of questions you should really be asking yourself. Being able to get up in the morning (or afternoon), and not lament your classes of that day, or not having to regret coming to the school you chose- that is a good feeling. If you're able to find a college where that can happen, a fantastic experience is the only possible outcome.

Figure out what you're looking for, and find the school that fits that. There are so many choices between big or small, public or private, religious or not, how the academics are focused, etc., that hopefully a school will fit what you are looking for. Don't be afraid to ask questions or make as many visits as you need to. Also, think of costs for all four years before figuring out which universities will be affordable. For making the most of the college experience, don't be afraid to go out and meet people. At the same time, remember to be level-headed. Find friends who will be lifelong friends, not just the friends who are the most crazy on the weekends.

I would tell myself to always have the future in mind while making the most out of the present. Have a plan and work towards it. While plans may not always work out, its always good to know what you're working toward. Working hard opens doors and opportunities in the future. I would tell myself how important relationships with other people are. Networking and forming friendships are important aspects of life, and you never know who may be able to help you. Keep true to the Golden Rule and remember to help others when you have the opportunity. Amongst all of this, remember that life is short so make the most out of each day, and enjoy it as you go along.

If i could go back in time and give myself some important advice about college and the transition. I would allow myself plenty of time to get registered at college, and to speak with advisors before the semester starts. It is very important to get all and any questions about degree plans or course recommendation out of the way first. Then it's important to figure what time i do my best in class and register for those hours. I now know, i do better in class in the mornings, so just take morning classes. Last, i would mention to join some school club and try to work as hard as i could for an education. Not to lose sight of the target, and stay focuse.

TU has taught me to accept people and love them for who they are. I prayed a ton about where to attend college and God tugged on my heart and told me to go here; I wouldnt change it for the world. The Chi Omega girls here are so amazing and I can tell that God has placed me here for a reason. So far, my college experience has grown me closer to God, increased my confidence in addition to expanding my knowledge through the challenging course work. College is a time where a person changes the most so I want to make something of myself in these four critical years. TU has been fun with intramurals, friendly people, and a campus that is respected.

Even though your classes are easy and you don't really have to try to ace them, study. Start forming that habit now - it will save your life the first semster. Practice your instrument more - the competition is fierce at TU. Apply for more scholarships and start saving more money. You're going to pay for college yourself, and it's not fun having to pay off loan interest every few months. So put a little of every pay check in that savings account. It will pay for books and the fees that scholarships don't cover. Most of all, don't worry about having your entire life planned out. No one else in college knows what they're doing, either.

I was once a shy, insecure girl that never wanted to do anything other than stay to myself and go unnoticed. My biggest fear was going up and talking to people; I was so afraid of not being all they expected. Going to college helped me to see that people will accept you for who you are. Everyone has something to offer, whether it’s telling funny jokes or giving good advice. Attending college has been valuable to me because it has helped me discover that I do not have to worry about being what people expect, I can just be Sherry. My college experience has shown me that being the true me allows me to obtain the things I want in life.

Making the transition to college life is a task that all incoming freshmen need to make. Thankfully, universities recgonize the need for this transition so many universities offer orientation activities for incoming freshmen to help facilitate the transition. Even though the activities may seem "uncool," they are a great way to meet new people. The majority of freshmen attend these activities and are also shy. Don't be afraid to make the "first move" and start a conversation with someone new. You can't make friends if you don't talk. Having friends around at school helps take the relieve the pressure of just entering college.