University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

Hey Ce, let me tell ya some things about college. You think you have it figured out and its going to be just as easy as high school was. WRONG! You have so much more to contend against and you will literally grow up within the first semester. No one is going to make you get up to go to school. No one is going to make you do your homework. you can virtually do what ever the heck you want. The freedom you have,is so tantilizing,that you hardly know what to do with it. No curfews! No calling Mom every 30minutes! No boundaries! Believe me, you will miss the latter one. that's when you grow up...when you set your own and stick to them. Ceciley, you are just going to have to trust me when I say,it's not easy,it's hard. Even on the good days,it's hard to keep going because you're so tired,hungry,worn down,and behind in classes. Find a routine and STICK TO IT! No matter what! you can do this chicka, I know you can!

If I could go back and tell my high school self about college and the college experience, I would be sure to tell him that he is definitely going to change, and that he needs to keep an open mind. I know that I personally, as well as all of my friends, have done a great deal of growing up since we have been to college. It has been more fun than I could ever have imagined, and I hope to make the most of the rest of my time here. I tried to come into college with an open mind, and I believe I did a relatively good job at that, but I wish that I had had more of an open mind and been open to experiencing more of the college life in my first two years. Now that I am a Junior, I definietly do not have any regrets, but there are a couple of things that I would do differently when I first got to school. I think the best advice anyone can give regarding college is to have an open mind, study hard and have fun.

Greg, you are about to study Music Education at The University of Tulsa and the most important thing I can tell you is this: do not worry about money. Those friends that are going to make millions--the girl that you want to provide for--these people may not remain with you forever. Through an arduous process you will discover that money alone is not the reward of a good education. The reward of a good education is to ensure your monetary stability while doing what you love! That is the most fulfilling thing you have ever or will ever experience. For all the days you will spend worrying about your major freshman year, there will be 10,000 more days that you are happy simply because you get to go to work. There are places in the world where people do not get the joy of learning music. You live a blessed life. Focus on giving all of yourself to this education and sharing it with others--you will succeed.

If I could give any advice to my younger self, it would be to enjoy life. I had the best semesters when I did nott stress about grades or my social standing. When you live every day to the fullest with the goal of better understanding youself, life becomes amazing. College is a social transformation with a few important classes thrown in, not four years of learning hell. I went on a limb and talked to Omanis, Brazilians, and Indians; these people from halfway across the world are now some of my dearest friends. In the classroom, I stopped stressing out about who the smartest student was and about my grades; now, I have a beautiful GPA and feel smarter than ever. When you stop comparing yourself to others and relax, life unfolds in a very beautiful way. Also, your number ten school may give you the best college experience. So, do not worry if Harvard rejects you. They are the real loser!

I would tell myself to take everything one day at a time because the more into the future I think, the more stressed I will get. I will never know how the future is going to play out, so there is no reason in trying to predict it and overwhelm myself. I would tell myself that I am going to be the busiest I have ever been, but that I am fully capable of doing everything on my plate. I would also tell myself that college is supposed to be one of the funnest times in life, and that maybe I should spend a little more time trying to find a group or extracurricular activiy to become apart of. I would tell myself to have the best summer ever, because I may be taking college courses all the rest of my summers in school. More than anything, my advice to myself would be to work hard as I can, achieve the most I can achieve, but to also remember to enjoy myself and live life as happily as I can.

If I were to go back in time and give myself advice about making the high school to college transition I was tell myself to study harder in high school. I went to a public school and made straight A's all through school without really trying that hard. Once I got into college I was one of the very few students who did not know how to study. If I would have applied myself more in high school, whether it be harder classes or even enrolling in some college level courses as a senior I know that I would have been able to do better my first two years of school. Without knowing how to study or how to complete homework to the best of my ability I lost out on some precious time in college because I had to teach myself these basic skills. These skills I have gained in my first two years of college are some of the best tools I could give myself during the high school to college transition.

The most important factor to consider when choosing a college is size. Small classes have a much different learning environment than larger classes. Professor availability outside of class as well as the quality of the personal relationship taht students can have with a professor are almost directly correlated with the size of the class. Secondly, and almost as important, one should consider extra-curricular activities. If sports are important, students should investigate the level and quality of the sports teams as well as the campus recreation facilities. If religion is important, students should visit the religious organizations on-campus, as many of these organiations are not included in a standard campus tour. The extra-curricular aspects of campus are as much a part of the college experience as the academics, and should be investigated when considering a potential school.

Of course, the first thing you should make sure a college has is the major or field that you are interested in studying. I also think that different sizes of schools have very different atmospheres, and you have to figure out where you will thrive. After that, anything goes. I have friends who have made complex, weighted equations to help them decide, and others who relied purely on the "feeling" of campus. Personally, I ended up eliminating some schools just because of their school colors or because their name made me think of toothpaste. How much you enjoy college will be based on what comes after your decision. Don't be surprised if your first semester or two is difficult, especially if you're going away from friends and family. Get involved, keep up with your school work, introduce yourself to new people and trust that you'll come to love your new and different life!

If I was able to go back in time and give my high school senior self any advise about college life and the transition to college the advice I would give myself would be to actually take classes that will not be "blow off" classes the last year. I got so lazy considering I only took one normal class as a high school and it has reflected in my first year of college. Going into senior year you get "senioritis" yes, just get over it and actually learn and make good study habits. Another piece of advice I would give to myself is to make the most of your time with your family and friends. College life is difficult and it is like being thrown into the big world by yourself, but if you just take care of yourself, and remember where you came from, and keep in touch it will make the transition easier. One last thing is to have a great senior year and make lots of memories.

Graduating from a class of 150, my school was somewhat small. It had a few AP courses, which I took, but I was not significantly challenged as a high school student. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself that college will not only be an amazing time, but it will also be a challenge. Coming to the University of Tulsa, I knew the curriculum was hard, but I didn't necessarily anticipate what went into being a college student. After almost two semesters, I've learned a lot: studying is a must, prioritizing helps, and relieving stress is necessary. I would tell myself that college isn't easy and there will be times you want to give up, but to believe in yourself and keep going. I would say that college is goign to be the best time of my life, so make the most of it while you prepare for the future you've dreamt about your whole life.