University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

Probably the most important thing in selecting a college is taking campus visits and sitting in on classes. It's very important to get the feel of the campus, professors and current students. Guided tours paint a nice picture, but it's the unguided tours that are most valuable. Evaluate the area surrounding the campus to ensure that all necessities are within walking distance. Though most parents focus on security issues, most campuses are very safe and have excellent security programs; they should instead look at the things that will add value to their child's quality of life. Talk to former and current students to determine if the school's claims match what students really think--after all, the students are the heart and soul, and the very reason of existence for the school.

I would tell myself to find an identity. In college, you have to take ownership of who you are. I would tell myself to figure out what I want to believe, and persue it full heartedly. I would say that my academic success depends on how much effort I decide to put in. Also, I would forwarn myself about how performance driven college is. I am an athlete on TU's track and field team, as well as a pre-med student. The pressures to perform come from all sides. This comes back to the identity issue. If I only knew who I am, and what my worth is, the tresses of transitioning into college would be much easier to handle. I started to realize this by the end of the second semester. Knowing that my self-worth isn't based on how my race goes, or how well I do on a test is very freeing.

If I could go back in time to my high school senior self, I would tell myself three things. First, don't think that college is only about education. Yes that is why it is there, but you can learn so much about yourself, the world, and even things that are right in your backyard that you didn't even know existed. Second, work to the best of your ability, but don't stress so much. You will have plenty of opportunites to achieve your 4.0 GPA goal, but have fun every once in a while. Third, make friends! Get out of your shell and talk to people because they will be the ones who get you through the tough times. If I had only known these three crucial pieces of advice when I was first transitioning into college, my life would have been ten times better my freshman fall semester.

You listen to me, and you listen to me good! Do not. I REPEAT. Do not let others influence you. You know you have homework to finish, a test to study for, a book to read, and/or a paper to write. Don’t let your friends talk you into going out and not studying for your test. Don’t let your boyfriend sweet-talk you out of doing homework. Don’t let your family distract you from writing your paper. I know that smart little brain of yours is yelling at you to tell them NO. There will be plenty of other times to have fun with your friends, boyfriend, and family. It may be hard to say no to them now, but it’ll be harder on you when you see your grades at the end of the semester. Listen to me on this. I’m older and wiser now, so just listen to me and you’ll thank me later.

I would tell myself that you are going to do bigger things than high school. You will make a difference in the world, as long as you keep on track and do the best you can. Never take the oppurtunities you come across for granted, you need to take advantage of them. Down the road you will be thankful you did. After you graduate life is just as fun as when you where in high school. Growing up is a journey that everyone must take and always keep your head up, you'll never get this time back. College is a big step in life. You have to make the best of it. There is no rush in trying to find out what you want to do for the rest of your life. Some people never find out. Ypu just focus on what you want right now. Stick to what your interested in and you will suceed.

Attending college has taught me how to be independent, self-motivated, and an responsible young women. I learned that you cannot wait for good things to just happen. If you want change you have to go out there and work for it. My mind set is no longer focused on me and how I can make my life better. It is on how I can use my experiences and knowledge I gain throughout my college career to provide assistance to whomever might need a hand. I am not the only person in this world there are so many people on this earth who don’t have the opportunity to receive an higher education. By continuing my education I add value to my life knowing that when I finish I can contribute to a greater purpose on this earth. The goal is not to have money but life without struggle.

Because my major is Exercise in Sports Science/Pre-Med I was never made aware that I had to have a Pre-Med advisor. My current advisor never let me know of this information so I was put behind in some of my classes. There were classes that I had to take at a certain time my freshman year that I wasn't enrolled in until my junior year. Because of this, I have been somewhat struggling to take all the necessary courses that are needed for medical school and still graduate on time. I have also been working 40hrs a week to help support my mother and sisters while taking a huge load of courses. I would tell my self to accurately plan out my schoolwork process with my advisor based on my career plan so I would not be struggling at the end academically and financially.

Dear Ashley, High School Senior, This is your future self writing to tell you, do not hold back! I know, you don't really fit in anywhere in high school but in college, everyone finds a place to fit in and friends that are amazing. College is all about getting to know other people and collecting experiences from which to grow. It is always worse to regret the opportunities you let slide by than those you took a chance on and failed. Do not worry about how successful you will be; when you get here, you will see that you had no reason to worry. You make excellent grades and you will continue that in college, so take some time and have fun. Also, remember to apply for scholarship’s early, that’s why you’re getting this letter. Sincerely, You

I often dream about going back in time and even though I am only 23 I would like to change so many things in my life. If I could have a conversation with the 18 years old Georgiana I would ask her to re-consider her future plans for college. This way she could avoid wasting 3 years of her life going to Law School since she is a very practical person and she loves helping people instead of being a lawyer. The 3 years spend in Law School helped me gain experience and I don't regret it, I am happy that I chose the right career for me now and I will work hard to make my dreams of being a nurse come true. College is not only about a better job, is about personal growth, besides improving your knowledge you become a more responsible and a better person.

Never, ever, EVER let yourself fall into the rut of procrastinating til the night before to do an assignment. Develop the habit of studying for every class, whether you think you need to or not. Don't be afraid to call home. Don't let yourself be dragged into the drama. Stay single! That "other" is just going to distract you from what you came here for. But most of all - please, please, pleeeease! don't forget that the theater is your home, your heart, and your passion, so work your butt off to prove you belong; don't prove the "dumb theater kid" stereotype true - you know you can do it. Please. One last thing: In the midst of it all, don't forget who you're doing this for. You. "Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art."