University of Tulsa Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Tulsa

Alex

Mediocrity is not something many pride themselves in but for the University of Tulsa (TU), that’s the main attraction. Mediocre location, mediocre campus facilities, and most importantly, a mediocre education. Even though this university does brag about being the most prestigious in Oklahoma, that honor falls only onto the petroleum engineering majors—go, “Oil Capital of the World”, go! Liberal arts majors are constantly imprisoned in dwindling choices of classes, with funding getting increasingly cut every year. Since TU feasts off the success of science majors (as it is a science-based school), the classes of my chemistry major are safe, for the time-being. However, with its massive debt, TU constantly overlooks basic aesthetics, like windows, in the science building—the history department must be jealous of my experience being trapped in a dungeon almost every day. Though the negatives are abundant, there’s always a relatively positive side to mediocrity. The professors go above and beyond to assist with coursework, whether in person or in Zoom conferences, post-pandemic. The students, albeit lacking in diversity, are humanized and, thankfully, completely unrecognizable (personality-wise) from their high-school selves from a couple years backs. Therefore, in my honest opinion, TU is not a garbage school but is also not an Ivy, both for obvious reasons. It is a school of mediocrity, mediocrity built by dungeon-like features and balanced by the community's compassion.

Natasha

The amount of diversity on this campus is phenomenal. There are so many options for whatever you're looking for and everyone is always ready to help. The staff is so nice and especially my academic advisor, Kristle Lacy was beyond amazing she made the process so much easier for me; she always responded so fast to any emails I had.

Katie

The University of Tulsa is a private institution that prides itself on a challenging academic curriculum as well as a unified community! TU highly encourages philanthropic endeavors as well as becoming leaders within organizations. I have truly loved my time at TU. I know that if I need support I can reach out to my professors or peers and they will be there.

Allison

I may only be half way through my first semester, but I love the school and campus and people. Its the perfect solution for the student who wants an active student body with out the state school hype

Kaycee

I absolutely love the University of Tulsa. There are huge variety of extracurricular activities to get involved with; if someone can be interested in it, we probably have a club for it. Everyone is friendly, as well, which is probably partly due to approximately 25% of the student body being from Oklahoma (we're a really friendly state). We've also got a really diverse campus, with ~25% being from various states in the US that aren't OK, and the other ~50% international students (I believe we have/have had students from over 60 different countries)

Nikita

As a nursing student at the University of Tulsa I enjoy the environment because it is in a quiet area in Tulsa, OK. Although there is not a lot to do in Tulsa as a younger adult I feel as if this is okay if your main goal is the stay focus and finish the program. For the college life experience the University of Tulsa does give you that. With football games, basketball games and plenty of FREE stuff. Cost to attend is expensive since it is a private school, although it doesnt feel like it since it is open. Parking could be better since every space you need a parking permit. Overall the school is a nice place and I am glad I am here finishing my undergraduate degree.

The University of Tulsa is a diverse, private institution that allows for both faculty and students to gain incredible knowledge and experiences that are well worth the high tuition price. Attending the University of Tulsa has been one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I enjoy meeting the different people that share unique stories and journeys.

Mary

The University works hard to be a prominent member of the Tulsa community by supplying its diverse student population with plenty of opportunities to volunteer and showcase their projects. Students are encouraged to participate and grow intellectually not only while they are taking classes but in their daily lives. The University of Tulsa pushes for excellence among its faculty, its city and most importantly its students.

Carson

I love The University of Tulsa! Every professor wants you to succeed, and because of the small campus they know everyone they teach. The opportunity to study abroad and research with your professors are a huge plus! The programs put on by residence halls and student organizations make sure there is always something to do!

Maddie

The University of Tulsa is the best university in the nation. The student-body, the faculty, and the staff have been overly generous and extremely easy to talk with and relate. I would strongly encourage anyone thinking about applying, to do so. For me, deciding to come to the University of Tulsa was one of the best decision I have made thus far in my life.

Justin

I love the University of Tulsa, in high school I always wanted to go to a larger college, but when I toured TU I realized that it was nice. When I finally began my college career there I found out that the education is amazing, the students are open minded along with diverse, and there are always activities to be participating in!

Sabrina

A really great small, private school. The people are wonderful, the academics are a challenge, and the campus always has a variety of great things to do.

Geoffrey

The University of Tulsa is a outstanding school! Even thiugh I am not enrolled yet i have visited and seen what truly makes TU a perfect college. Besides the nice campus, TU is a college where you know and feel like a important part of the community, whether it be from the professors, on campus advisors, or the great friends you will meet. TU is my dream school that i would love to attend!

Nour

TU is overall, an outstanding university. Class sizes are just right, not huge and not tiny , and the professors are so helpful! I would definitely recommend this university although academics are a bit challenging they really help you become the best you can be.

Genesis

I think it is a great school with many opportunities. People are extremely friendly and always take the times to help you. Classes are really good and conversation is always intelligent. No one gets left out and we can definitely feel like at home.

Christina

University of Tulsa is a fairly small private school. It has a large number of international students and students studying a wide variety of things. It is like a small community, where you can meet a lot of people but at the same time it's still big enough to give you a good college campus feeling. It is such a fantastic school!

Andrew

The University of Tulsa is meant for a specific kind of student, or I should say person. Allan Bloom, controversial political science professor and higher education scholar, once said in his book, The Closing of the American Mind, that a university is meant to cultivate the soul. The University of Tulsa attempts to accomplish this in a new university paradigm where corporatism and administration dominates. TU has a wonderful campus, intelligent and successful professors that work and thrive in a community, rather than compete with one another. Instead of a sole focus on research, TU attempts to reconcile both scholarly work with the development of the next American generation, or, perhaps better said, with many international students, the next generation of mankind. Professors work actively with students to succeed in the classroom, and, to discover a sense of self. College, as William Deresiewicz, former English professor at Yale and author of Excellent Sheep, explicates is meant to also help form the student as they enter adult life. This is distinct from Bloom in that Bloom's thesis argues for this within the curriculum; Deresiewicz argues for this in both curriculum and campus culture. TU also attempts to provide this in its extracurricular activities and its encouragement for community service opportunities within the University of Tulsa. None of this is to say that TU is perfect, because it is not. If you are looking for a place to party, and have a blast before becoming an adult, there are many other colleges that can do that for you. Its sports culture is also incredibly lacking, and some of the buildings that are not science-related need renovations. TU is limited in that aspect. However, if you are searching for a self, and seeking to build the foundation for a meaningful life, the University of Tulsa is the best place to start.

Avery

This is my first year at the University of Tulsa and I could not be happier. As cliche as it sounds, it truly was the best fit for me. The balance between academic and social is incredibly easy and there is no pressure to do anything you do not want to. The environment is clean and safe and the professors are always willing to help the students. I would recommend this University to any person looking for a small private school.

I love the University of Tulsa and everything it represents. We are the Golden Hurricanes, meant to symbolize a force for good. When visiting campus, you will find that it is both beautiful and easy to navigate. The students will always greet you with a smile and the teachers always make time to visit with you. Since it is a particularly small campus, it is easy to meet everybody.

Gabby

The students at the University of Tulsa are well rounded and kind. When I first visited I was welcomed by everyone with a warm smile and now that I attend here, I am happy to help the future TU students be happily welcomed as well!

Anna

The University of Tulsa is a relatively small school, but it has everything that a large state university would offer. The dorms and apartments are near most of the classroom buildings and the Student Union. McFarlin library operates nearly constantly and offers studying and tech support. The students challenge other students to get involved in activities on campus and to do well in their classes. The atmosphere is friendly and accommodating. Someone is always willing to help with all things college.

Gabriel

It's actually a very lovely school! ♥

Dena

The University of Tulsa is a very safe place, there are always campus security outside driving around. It is a private school with smaller classes than your regular public colleges, which is a good thing because then you can focus more on class and have more one on one with the professors. They have a variety of restaurants, events, activities. It is a really great school overall, with plenty of friendly welcoming people.

kyle

I love the university. I started as a different major but fell in love with the film department on campus and all of my cohorts. i wouldn't choose another college if they offered me any sort of scholarship. I hope to graduate and keep in touch with all I meet here

Esther

I am proud to be a student in University of Tulsa. I love the school, campus and teachers.

Renee

If the University of Tulsa was a fruit, it would be an orange. Do not let its tough exterior scare you. The campus may be covered in buildings covered in masonry, and the average student may have had an ACT score of 30, but it is not a cold place. If you peel off the top layer, you will find that behind the classroom doors, it is a little different than expected. Similar to the zesty citrus flavor of an orange, there is excitement, life, and energy in the classrooms. Oranges are high in Vitamin C, and research tells us that Vitamin C improves IQ and prevents memory loss. Students at the University of Tulsa are excited to learn new about new topics. The word "orange" does not rhyme with any other words. Similarly, the University of Tulsa is very different from other schools. It is a small private school with the opportunities and feel of a larger state university. There is nothing quite like the University of Tulsa.

Maddy

Coming to the University of Tulsa was definitely one of the top 10 best decisions in my life. While it definitely has the "small school feel," it is located in a fairly large city (metro. 1 mil), so there's always something to do! The academics in the engineering school are extremely challenging, but well worth it. To say you made it out of the ENS college (including, but not limited to, the Tandy School of Computer Science) with a 3.5+ is an incredible accomplishment. The business school is also leading among those in the USofA. AND, if you're looking for great internships, the business college counseling office is the way to go. So, I know you're dying to hear about the social life. It's no state school--in a good way I think--there's definitely a sense of community. While the frat/srat life is available and even encouraged, it's not as necessary to maintain your social status (as maybe OU, OSU, or UofA). The Greek community is definitely among the most involved on campus, maintaining leadership positions in almost every club on campus. It is funny, though, how any Greek will tell you that they have friends in every house on the row--and it's actually true. I can speak from personal experience, that whether you're for Greek life or not, it is possible to have (and hang out with on the daily) friends in every house--and even those who aren't in houses. So what's the party-life like? Well, it's there if you really want to find it, but if you're not into that, there are so many things going on around Tulsa that you don't have to be. There's the First Friday Art Crawl downtown (so fun), Pie Night at Antoinette's, and TU takes care of Gilcrease Museum, so students get in for free! So, really, The University of Tulsa is whatever you choose to make of it. If you want to get involved, you definitely can (it's much easier here than at a state school). If you want to party-out, you definitely can--although I wouldn't suggest it. If you want a 4.0, you'd better work hard and talk to your professors outside of class, but it is possible. If you want to stay in your room all of the time and make no friends, that's also an option, but here's the thing: the people at the University of Tulsa are exceptional. They all have their own stories (most that you would never guess). Get to know them; they're what make this whole college-thing worth it.

John

I like it a lot; the students are nice and welcoming, the classes are challenging without (usually) being an overwhelming amount of work, and the professors put in the time to actually learn students' names. My classes are small—my biggest is about 60, and that is a "program" class, so my biggest "real" class was 25—and I feel like that helps me get a better education. I would really recommend it here!

Gabriela

I had a terrible experience here due to the incompetence of the faculty staff. The instructors and professors were not very helpful. I sent many emails and visited frequently one of my lab instructors but he was never answered. Two of my professors would call out other students and their privates loudly in class. They teaching styles were so ambiguous, I had more help from tutors and Google. One even accused me of plagiarism without checking it through a plagiarism checker and receiving all my drafts and revisions. The financial aid office was extremely disrespectful to me since I had unexpected financial troubles. They only told me I could not attend next semester and shut me out. I had my parents call and speak with the manager in order to get something done. My academic advisor was the only positive experience. She helped me with any general questions I had and understood my troubles as a first-year student. I thought for it being a private school, they would treat their students better than others. That was not the case, since I had a better experience at a community college.

Iniobong

The university of Tulsa is a very beautiful and a great place to be in. The environment here is very beautiful and excellent. The student body here is superb. one of my favorite things about the university of Tulsa is the cultural diversity, as an international student here they make you feel at home. the professors are great. Overall, TU is great.

Sabrina

I love going to TU! The campus is gorgeous, the academics are top-notch and activities are varied. Regardless of what you're interested in, there is always something to do. Sports fans are welcome with sports being a big part of campus life. Greek life is also popular but not all consuming. Be warned though, courseload varies depending on the college you choose (ie ENS kids have large course loads).

Ryhan

I enrolled with high hopes since it was my dream school. However, I have found the small campus isn't as cozy as I thought it would be. I don't do well in high stress environments, and that is what you find here. This school just isn't the correct fit for me. It is a beautiful campus, and academically challenging. All-in-all I do think TU is a great school if all you want to focus on is academics, but its difficult to have that college experience. Although I will say, one thing that is an absolute downfall to the school is how lazy the staff is at Pat Case Dining Center can be. I don't know how many times I've grabbed a plate that was still dirty or went to get something that hadn't been restocked.

Danielle

The University of Tulsa: The “Ivy League” of Tulsa Founded in 1882, this beautifully landscaped campus certainly gives the flavor of New England with hints of Hogwarts, especially inside the entryway and reading rooms of McFarlin Library. The flavor carries over into the older, more stately building across campus including at least two residence halls and a few educational buildings. Pleasantly, homogeny is not a blanket theme of the scenery. Various decades of architecture are speckled throughout the panorama. Tulsa’s changing seasons gives a different palette every few months. Every semester is different and experiences change. Its students change symbiotically with the campus backdrop. With the educated guidance of the maintenance department, fauna is attracted with carefully selected and nurtured flora. The atmosphere is created in addition to the spaces being used for events for stress relief, especially before finals. Aside from the external view, the internal efforts of the university nurture and mold the growth and change of its students. Seemingly behind every wall is an office of student assistance of helpful variety. Every office is staffed by helpful people. The helpful staff consistently give direction to the student’s next step. Their assistance reliably lifting a weight off the shoulders. The assistance is ubiquitous from staff and professors. Around the corner of every department is another accommodating professor or faculty. It is easy to want to stay on campus. Even off-campus students enjoy the on-campus life. While education alone is a widening, broadening experience on a personal level, the University of Tulsa is highly rated for the education and experience of international students. In turn, such students elevate the expanding experience for all. Every class has the chance to tap into and listen to a global perspective, thanks to the international students.

keeshun

I think University of Tulsa is a very nice school and has a wonderful professor's . At my college visit i learned so much about Tulsa and it's culture . Tulsa offer wonderful classes and opportunity for us incoming student's to look forward to . This is my wonderful overall of University of Tulsa .

Liz

The University is small enough to have small class sizes and be able to walk across campus in less than ten minutes. It is close to home so I can still see my family all the time. I enjoy the ability to seek help whenever I need it from either the academic help building, professors, or other students.

Breonna

My overall opinion of my University is that it's a very outstanding institution. Being very well-known for academics, TU takes pride in that along with the athletic department as well. The university makes sure that all students are safe, educated, and are enjoying their time while attending the University of Tulsa.

Zena

I am very proud to say that I am a student at the University of Tulsa. I am diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder and ADHD. I learn differently than most. TU accommodated my needs quicker than any other institution has. They have provided me with note taking assistance, testing in a distraction reduced environment with time and a half. Furthermore, I need to be able to ask plenty of questions to my professors. My professors are ALWAYS willing to help and even make themselves available outside of their office hours. I cannot describe how superb the professors at TU are. They are extremely intelligent, some even have double doctorate degrees. They are graciously patient and always eager to help. They know that there are many different learning styles and constantly strive to teach there class in a way that works for everyone. The student to teacher ratio is fantastic. Classes are usually filled with about 12-25 students making it comfortable (and possible) for students to ask questions and interact with the class as a whole. There are about 3,500 undergraduate students. It is nice to see familiar faces, but not small enough that you know everyone. TU has a large array of clubs and organizations, for instance, Women in Business, and several community service groups, which provide many opportunities to get involved with the student body and the community. There exists an outstanding cultural diversity here at TU, with over 1,200 students that come from 70+ different countries. I love that all religions are respected. There are chapels of all sorts- Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, and Islam to name a few. I enjoy the private education that TU offers. Of course it does come with a hefty price, which is the only drawback that I can speak of. Not only is tuition expensive, but living on campus is ridiculously expensive- I myself live off campus to avoid paying this. All freshman and sophomore students are required to purchase a meal plan, with the starting cost of $2,000/ semester. Although the tuition at TU is expensive, it is easy to spot the many ways that TU invests back in its students. For example, TU constantly sponsors student groups and affairs. They truly know how to out due themselves with the events that they host. One of the homecoming events- "Casino Night 2016" served a buffet including shrimp, lamb, and steak. My school constantly gives out nice things to students like hats, t-shirts, water bottles and agenda planners. There is free lunch to be found on campus Monday through Friday. The equipment/facilities are in great condition, constantly innovating. I was tickled when I discovered that the library has an indoor cycling bike with a laptop holder. If I could describe my experience at TU with one word it would be "quality."

Christina

This school was the perfect choice for me in many ways, but most importantly for academics. I made so many friends and memories, and the university did a superb job getting students involved in different activities. The campus was always warm and welcoming, the classes were challenging but worth it, and I will be returning this fall to get my master's degree. Loved the university of Tulsa!

Gracie

I am planning to attend The University of Tulsa in the Fall of 2019, and from what I have seen of it, the culture is really exceptional. I have a few friends who are enrolled currently and getting to spend time with them and their friend groups proved to me just how accepting and accommodating everyone is. In many highly academic universities, everyone feels really competitive all the time but at TU everyone is super supporting and ready to help you study and work towards goals. The class sizes are another huge bonus, with most only reaching around 15. Overall, making friends is very easy, and professors are super accesible all the time. As a senior in high school, I got the senior dean of the business college to write me a rec letter after two (unrelated) meetings and an email, it seems like everyone really values you and wants you there! Im super excited to enroll, and I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Chloe

My overall opinion of TU is great. I love the fact that most of my classes are small and that I'm able to talk to my professors when I need help on something or just to talk. Most of the people I have met are super nice and always willing to help out. The advising office is always ready to answer my questions or help me with a scheduling problem. The computer science department is extremely supportive to the women in their program and I can't imagine it differently. If I had to choose a college again, I wouldn't change a thing!

Max

The University of Tulsa has been a pleasure to attend for my first three semesters. Class sizes have been moderately large at best, with my largest class so far being about 40 students and the average size being closer to 30. The professors in my college (I'm double majoring in Mathematics and Engineering Physics) have been very helpful at every step. They will usually provide with various opportunities to meet with them outside of class if you need help.

yovany

The campus is very beautiful but since some of the rooms are old they are not so great. The new dorms are awesome. Living on campus is highly recommended but very expensive. Living off campus has its ups and down, on the downside one might not be as connected with the variety of events. It is also quite cal throughout the evenings and not much happening unless there are sport games, frat functions, or student association activities.

HUICHEN

What I like here most are people here. I enjoy all classes I have so far because my instructors are always nice to answer questions carefully, they replied emails swiftly, solving my problems all the time. I also feel lucky to work with my classmates because I think each discussion are helpful for my classes. What I do not like here is campus food is not really good.

Nataly

I love the University of Tulsa because the professors are interested in every student's success. They are available everyday to help each student understand their classes better. The students help each other by having study groups before each major exam. Above all, the University of Tulsa cares about each student to succeed in their careers and their future jobs.

Jacob

The University of Tulsa is a small school but it isn't too small. There are plenty of organizations and activities to partake in. The Greek life on campus is a great system and a good way to get involved in the school. Class sizes are small so professors are always available and excited to help.

Pricella

I enjoy attending the University of Tulsa. The majority of the professors teach well and are willing to help their students out if need be. The students are overall friendly and the class sizes are great, which played a big part in me deciding to attend this school. My only problem is with the financial part. It is very expensive and I feel as though students are not able to just worry about their education, but the problem of whether or not they will be able to afford the education they are receiving.

Madison

It is a great close knit school. There are many ways to get involved on campus, and actually feel like you are making an impact on the campus. Professors actually care about the individual student and will go above and beyond to make sure you are learning the concepts. You must be an avid student at this university. Curriculum is more in-depth than you will see on anywhere else.

Tyra

I went to University of Tulsa for a year and transferred immediately. Administration is extremely unhelpful and borderline rude. Watch out for Financial Aid, Bursar's Office, and Housing Department on campus. All three offices will attempt to place incorrect charges on accounts to try to solicit money. Also, when calling to get in contact with admin at these offices they regularly give the run around and say that there is "nothing they can do to help" or "they do not have access/ communication with that office on campus." Both responses are inexcusable from a supposed Top University and there should be training on how administrators deal with students. The cost of attendance is a complete rip off, and it reflects in student diversity and campus life. I will never advocate attendance until serious admin changes are made and the cost reflects what the university ACTUALLY offers. Do not take this review lightly, I don’t review often so hopefully this stops others from repeating mistakes.

I think that the University of Tulsa is a great school. If you are looking for a very in depth education this is where you should be. The campus is beautiful and well kept. Everyone you meet is kind. It doesn't matter whether you are talking to a professor, a librarian, or a financial aid attendant, all of the staff here are excited to help with anything you might need. Everyone is eager to help students with anything they might need to help further their education.

Madeline

The University is awesome, particularly because the campus is so diverse but is still such a close knit community. Academics are great, as the professors are always willing to help in any way they are able. This university is also great about providing accommodations to student who are in need. They are also great about keeping students informed about activities and thing going on around campus. We are always well informed on issues as well.