University of Utah

« See more reviews of University of Utah

Four pieces of advice are my philanthropic contribution to the students of the world. (Note: I can only give this much because I follow my initial advice.) Primarily, never allow the cost of an education to deter you from pursuing your field; a quality education is the most profound investment a person shall ever make. It will affect your future profession, associates, personal refinement, and your ability to touch the lives of others. One?s entire world hinges on their education. Select the best university without counting dollars and enroll there. Secondly, once enrolled, work. Gaining an education is difficult, and exiges concentration and dedication. You will only ?get back? what you ?put in? to the experience?no more, no less. Thirdly, make time for you and your recreation (friends and family, exercise and sleep). Rest is a psychological necessity. Take rest bits now and then; enjoy the experience. HOWEVER, always remember to work when you must?never procrastinate. In short, be balanced. Finally, I finish with my papey?s habitual advice, ?Don?t associate with loose women, and don?t accept any wooden nickels!? Master these four, and you will have the most rewarding college experience one can have.

Choosing a college that is right for you is a very personal affair. The student/ parents should consider the student's academic interests, social needs, and family interests. Additionally, each category should be weighted to fit their respective importance to the student. The financial needs of the student must also be added to the equation. Some important questions to be asked when considering a college should include: "Does this college excell in my areas of interest?", "Does this campus provide opportunities for advancement to graduate or medical schools?", "How will I pay for tuition and living expenses?", "How much debt am I willing to go into?", "Is the campus a safe environment and a good learning environment?", "How about transportation?", "Will I live on campus, or off campus, and in either case where?", and most importantly, "What are the students' opinions of campus?". The process of carefully choosing a school is similar to the process used when making a big purchase. All the pros and cons must be weighed before making the best choice. Making lists of these pros and cons can be a good way to pragmatically sort through the list. And some final advice: enjoy the process!

What do I want to be when I grow up? Who should I marry? Where do I want to live? These are all questions that have high importance in a person?s life. Among them is the very important question: Where should I go to college? Beginning to fill out college applications can be an exciting experience. Choosing a college is where the difficulty begins. There are many things to consider, including location, tuition prices, and overall opportunities offered. As I researched which college I wanted to attend, academics also played a major role. It was important for me to attend a school with the most esteemed professors in order to get the most out of my education. Considering I would be paying expensive tuition prices, I refused to settle for anything less than the best. Therefore, when choosing a college, it is important to think about what opportunities you want to obtain out of your education. Whether that includes involvement in clubs, sports, volunteer groups, academic associations, and others, it is essential to consider all the benefits of a university before making a decision. In conclusion, simply getting involved can make your college experience a memory to never forget.

Dear Kastin, I know right now you might not believe it's really me (just an older more awesome version) writing this to you so first i will prove myself. You have a large bound book of quotes you constantly write in that only you and Mama know about. However no one has seen the new poetry you wrote in it because you are a little afraid to show someone. You are used to juggling many sports and extra circular activities but be ready for a change in college. You were blessed to continue Track so make the most of each practice but know as much hard work you put into being a better athlete the most important part of going to college is the student part. (You do great so don't worry just keep working hard) Also you think you might want to be that physical therapist or optometrist but along the way you will figure out that switching majors turns out to be the best thing for you! I'll let you experience that one on your own ;) Live everyday like it's your last and do homework on Trax trust me. Kastin Jane Frostl :)

So much of your early education has been focused on rote memorization. As a senior, it is time to start learning to think for yourself. Rather than spend your remaining months in high school blindly memorizing factoids, generate the skill to ask powerful questions. Questions that defy normal learning. Questions that do more than scratch the surface; ask questions that breach the basics, that dig deep, that shovel through the rote to find profound understanding. Learn the truth for yourself. Learn the meanings behind the meaning. Because the day you step into your university program will be the day you have to start thinking critically. The purpose of university education is to transform you into the Albert Einstein or MLK of the future. What makes these individuals great is they went beyond normal and discovered profound. They changed the world because they refused to accept life at face-value. Learn independence of mind now, and you will see its benefit play out not just in your university education, but the rest of your life. You will go beyond normal and discover profound. You will come to know what makes you, you. You will change the world for the better.

I have received a greater knowledge of the incredible history and challenge of people of color. The diversity classes that I have taken have helped me to have a broader perspective about the people in my community, their difficulties, opportunities to achieve and their abilities to move forward. I recognize that the opportunities that I have enjoyed are not the same for everyone. The levels of discrimination, education, and personal development are not available for all to embrace. The encouragement to become a stonger member of my community by learning about people that don't look or act like me has been interesting and satisfying. I am a better person because of my contact with incredible people from around the world. I try to learn from each person their personal story, their hopes and dreams, and the challenges that they have had to overcome to become a student of higher education. I have found that each person is unique, and that I can learn from everyone. The classroom information, blended with the incredible students that I have formed new friendships with help me to become a better student and attentive member of the global community.

As a student, learn as much as possible in high school because it will make college material easier to understand if one has solid background knowledge. Try to get some college credit during high school so that graduating from college wont seem as overwhelming and the chances that you will graduate on time will increase. Know what kind of job/career you want after college. Choose classes that are interesting to you because you will tend to succeed more if you're interested in the subject matter. Choose a college that has a good program for what you're interested in. Research on the college/university that you're interested in and find out what kind of programs and degrees they offer as well as visiting the campus to get a feel for the school. Parents should encourage their children to further their education. They should also encourage their children to be independent and to work hard for their dreams. They should be supportive and available to give good advice. Overall, the most important thing is to have a positive attitude because overall it will make everything better than it would be otherwise with a negative attitude.

My advice to parents or students about finding the right college would be to look for one that best suits the individual. Make sure that the college is within the right price range, and if not, check to see if the college offers scholarships and financial aid. Look for a college that offers extracurricular activites that would most benefit the student, such as volunteering or a sports team the student is interested in. If the student is interested in a large or small campus, then I would suggest looking for a college with an ideal campus size. I find that class sizes are the most important. I would recommend checking out what the class sizes are, and choosing a college depending on what class size best fits the student. Culture is another very important concept. If the student is ethnically diverse, then finding a college with clubs or organizations within the same culture can make the college experience more dynamic. Finding the right college can be hard, and there are many considerations to take into account. Taking the time to find the right college that best fits the student's standards will be worth it in the long run.

My college experience has given me confidence to succeed independently in physical, social, emotional, and spiritual realms. Since I began my college career in 2004 I have lived on my own, miles away from my family and friends. I was thrust outside my comfort zone. Physically I learned to get sufficient sleep, eat a balanced diet, and work out regularly to feel good and succeed both in the classroom and on the basketball court where I played on scholarship. In the social realm I mustered the courage to make new friends and meet new people. I made close friends and acquaintances that I maintain contact with today. Emotionally I had experiences that scared me, made me sad, and made me cry; emotionally I developed independence and strength to bounce back when I was knocked down. In the spiritual realm I discovered what I believed, decided how I would worship, and how dedicated I would be to my faith. I became more involved and participated more in my religious congretation at college than before. Learning independence in each of these realms has given me confidence in who I am and my abilities to succeed for the rest of my life.

The true leaders of the future are currently attending film school. If a movie can make someone cry, laugh, and reconsider our own values, would it not be safe to say that film is by far the most influential medium? Film could literally be 'that change' everyone wishes to see in the world. The Los Angeles Film School has taught me the beautiful art of motion-picture storytelling and the power it possesses over the globe’s intellect. I've learne film's essential networking, deep human emotion, precise technical aspects, magic storytelling and avid devotion to the hours it entitles. I am now prepared to change the world one ticket-booth at a time by employing little things such as low and high camera angles to affect the way someone may feel about a certain subject. A powerful weapon such as this, when put in the right hands, will strongly lead the world to a universal truth. A word introduces, a letter connects, a picture reflects… and they may all transcend. But a motion picture will forever introduce, connect, reflect and transcend the idea that there is one race, one emotion, and one relationship we can all relate to.