University of Utah

« See more reviews of University of Utah

The academic standards at the University of Utah can be very high depending on which classes a person chooses to enroll in. Many of my classes have been so difficult that taking them in combination with each other put me under extreme amounts of pressure and stress. It's frustrating knowing that I will be graduating in five years instead of four. I'm glad the the University of Utah pushes its students, unfortunately about 1/4 of the people I know (attending the University) have the same problem I have, and many of the others have already dropped out.

That there are many prerequisite classes that are unnecessary. I feel like I have taken many classes that are not applicable to the field of study that I am going into which is Physical Therapy. I had to take many math classes like Trigonometry, Algebra, and Statistics but I will not be using math very often if at all when I become a Physical Therapist. Math is just one example of these unnecessary classes. If we could take classes only that will be meaningful to us and teach us only what we need to know then that would be great.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of environmental science program. The campus itself is making a strong effort to be environmentally sounds, but offers no environmental science degree. I was in apart of the biology program because that is what I want to study, but the program is so overwhelmed with pre-med students that us environmental folk get shut out, so I have switched my major to geology. I am not quite getting the ecological view point I was hoping for, but still enjoy it.

The city and state have very strange laws. Very little in the city is open past 10pm and almost every is closed on Sundays. Parking on campus is very problematic as is with most Universities, however because only 5,000 of the 29,000 live on campus the remaining 24,000 comute on a daily basis. The University informs it's student primarily via an email system it provides, but very few student, myself inclueded, check that email and we have all given alternate forms of contact information.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Utah is that it is a commuter school. Many people drive up from home in the mornings and then leave right after their classes leaving no opportunities to meet other students. I have tried to veer from this habit but it is still present in students around me. The other frustrating thing is that the campus is huge and the Utah winters are cold! However, that's Utah and we all learn to live with it. :)

It was impossible to get a hold of a real person in Housing; I lost housing scholarship money because no one was ever in the office to counter-sign the check, and I was charged a fee when I checked out of housing early because my RA was never around, and never responded to emails, to sign paperwork. I was thoroughly dissatisfied with my on-campus housing experience. (My sister, however, had a great time; then again, she had a room all to herself....)

The most frustrating thing about my school is perhaps how there is a limited selection to upper division courses. It causes upper division students to have to schedule their work around school because they only have the option to take a course at one or two times that conflict with another limited upper division course. It is difficult to get a good schedule that works well for you academically and careerwise.

The most frustrating thing about the UofU is the financial aid office, they always have a line and when you finally get the chance to talk to someone there it's similar to talking with a robot. They do not send notification if something is wrong and tuition is due way to soon into the semester so most semester I pay out of pocket and wait for weeks before seeing any financial aid.

The University of Utah is a commuter school and not many of the students live on campus. If you want to be involved in campus life, you really have to work for it. The experiences and social life are out there if you know where to look and you are willing to put forth the effort. I had a great experience but I would definitely say I had to make the decision to be involved.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Utah is the ongoing construction. They finish ne project and as soon as you think the construction is over, they block off another parking lot and start tearing apart another building for improvement. It's not all bad though, because the improvements are always worth the wait. The biggest inconvenience is re-routing.