University of Utah

« See more reviews of University of Utah

There is one thing I wish I had known before enrolling in the University of Utah. I would have taken the time to understand the community and the opportunities within the community. I feel the college experience is greatly influenced by the community and social structure designed by the school. The University Of Utah is often referred to as a commuter's school, which means students are not often invested in school events beyond their academic focus. This can make it difficult to connect with a peer groups on campus, outside of classes. There are pros and cons to this.

I wish I had known how tight-knit the people from the same majors are. I spent the first year and a half feeling overwhelmed by large, auditorium-sized general classes. Once I got into the core classes for my major, I made friends with several like-minded peers. If I knew how much support they provided, I would have sought out extracurricular activities my department sponsored. Not only is there incredible support from your peers, the professors make themselves available and offer genuine advice. It truly was an amazing experience to be part of that community.

A large portion of university students live off-campus, as the university is located in a large metropolitan area and has beds for less than 10% of its undergraduate population in residence halls and single student apartments. An additional 1,115 family apartments are available to students, staff, and faculty. One of the university's primary four goals for long-term campus growth is to increase student engagement through the addition of on-campus housing, intramural fields, athletic centers, and a new student activity center.

I learned that the key to unlocking my education at the U was not being afraid to ask for help. At first, I was intimidated to attend Utah. Looking back, I wish I would have known despite the its size and academic rigor, it is a very approachable school. You don't have to be afraid of the challenges you will face once admitted. You can face them with confidence because you'll have adivsors to help you discover your major, professors to empower your learning, and fellow students to support you. All you have to do is ask!

I'm a bit of a non-traditional student. I am non-matriculated and am enrolled in the Screendance Certificate Program, which is a 1 year program. I wish I had really, truly known how hard it was going to be to get financial help to pay for school. As a non-matriculated 1 year student, I am not eligible for almost very loan/scholarship out there. I have spent the past few months doing research and applying for numerous things and have not received anything. I wish I had began preparing YEARS in advance.

I wish I had known about all of the resources and organizations the school has for students. There is a lot that the school has to offer besides just classes, and to get your money's worth and a good education in general, it is almost critical to utilize the resources that the school has to offer. I wish I would have known how important it is to jump in with both feet from the start.

I wish I would have known the amount of self study required to achieve the desired amount of skills for my field. I taught myself far more then I was taught in class. My professors didn't always have the time or knowledge to teach me the programs I feet were important to my future in the field. I also wish I would have known about the discrimination I would face because of my faith.

I was caught off guard by the amount of work that I had to put in to get an A. It's not a bad thing I just procrastinated at my high school and but it has helped me become a much better student and person. I wish I would have known about all of the tutoring and advising that was available. It would have been easier to transition if that would have been the case.

Personally, I wish I had better known how to manage my schedule?juggling class attendance, part-time work, study, socializing, sleep, and exercise is a task that requires finesse. It was too easy to yield to the tendency to focus too much on one, and too little on another (say, for example, to focus on socializing in stead of study . . .).

I wish I had known more about the programs and resources that were offered for students. It would have helped me get to know the campus better before I attended. I aslo wished I had visited the campus more so I was familiar with the campus. Another thing I would have also wished I knew more about the library and how to use its resources.