University of Utah Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Utah

erica

I really love this college, the price to attend is kind of ridiculous though. This school might be cheaper than others but with minimum wage being 7.25 it is difficult to make ends meet. The facilities and resources offered are great, I have found many people that have helped me survive college so far.

Cole

I think it’s a great university with a lot of diversity and student involvement, I love the campus and the surrounding town. I think that the teachers are very well trained and I love that I have some choice in who I have as a teacher. I wish that it wasn’t so cold though.

Online class options are great, along with the two different campus locations. Public transport drops off right at the University. Lots of incentives and discounts. Great food, great areas or nooks to study in that are quiet. Professors are available. Lots of class times available for lower level courses, not so much for upper level courses.

Mark

University of Utah is a beautiful big campus with great transportation to and from. It is somewhat secluded from the main city which is a down side but there are many eating places on campus. The campus itself is only about twenty minutes from Park City which had beautiful ski resorts and that a huge plus.

Patricia

The U is the best school in Utah by far. It has a great academic and social life. Campus is beautiful. The professors are great! Campus always feels clean and safe, and there's a Starbucks on campus. Not to mention we have the best hospital in Utah right on campus- University of Utah Health.

Tylynn

It is a very competitive school. The academics are amazing! The facilities are top notch and they have so many resources available to students. The only thing I would change is the parking! It is expensive and limited. Other than that I absolutely love my school. The professors are amazing and I love my classes.

Clare

The University of Utah is an amazing place to study. There is an amazing community here and a sense of unity. The PAC 12 sports create a lot of funding and it is so much fun to go to games. Because of the funding from the PAC 12, there are a lot of new buildings being built on campus. There are so many programs and opportunities for students for all types of people. Many people expect it to be very conservative and not diverse because of the Mormon population, but that is not true. There are all types of people here. You will find the right group of people for you.

Natalie

I was extremely nervous for college life, and I wasn't sure my decision to attend the University of Utah would be the right choice. But the moment I stepped onto the campus, I knew I had made the right choice. The campus is absolutely beautiful and there are so many resources for students, both socially and academically, that I feel completely at home and have thoroughly enjoyed my first moments of college. I only am anticipating good things to come from this wonderful university.

Ashlyn

Overall, The University of Utah has been way better than the other universities I have attended in every way. I chose University of Utah for the academics and have been very impressed. The student body is so much more friendly than the other universities I have attended.

Zoe

I appreciate what it has to offer. The environment is great. I know most of the people on campus, it's a small city. I love that I'm not limited to campus facilities. Living near the University lets me go where ever and do whatever. I love that my studies intertwine with my life, and that its a supportive place.

McKenna

I love this school. There are so many things to do here, like: hiking, bowling, rock climbing, and many other fun things. There are plenty of opportunities to involve yourself with and the campus is beautiful. I've never been surrounded by so many people who love their school and are proud to represent it.

Makaelin

Not a bad place, but if you are a freshman I HIGHLY suggest living on campus, for at least a semester. The school is pretty big and it can be hard to make connections or find your place. Liberal arts education isn't the best, but it isn't horrible either. For the price of tuition, its pretty good. Transportation around campus is awesome, trax/buses are free with a student ID card, and there is a campus shuttle that will basically get you anywhere on campus.

Sonny

I think the Univerisity of Utah is an amazing school. The school provides a wide range of opportunities for students to succeed in academic, social, physical, and mental aspects of their lives. During the first few weeks of schools, clubs and organizations are scouring the campus for students to be involved and feel that they have a place on campus. The school provides free drinks and food, as well as places of comfort and therapy dogs for anyone who feels the need during the stressful weeks of finals.

Abby

I love the University! They have lots of opportunities and different groups and clubs to join so that you find your niche and people who share interests with you. They do their best to accommodate, have nice facilities and great professors! I really like the diversity that is there and that there are groups where you can share and express your feelings and passions.

I love attending the University of Utah

Brooke

The University of Utah is a great school. All of the professors are engaged and invested in the students' education, and they are readily available to offer help when it is needed. The campus is also great, with a variety of helpful facilities with beautiful scenery along the way. I couldn't have chosen a better University to attend!

Kate

I love the environment and all of the people there are so fun to talk to. The football games and our MUSS (student section) is a blast to hang out in! There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in various clubs and sports, and plenty more to create your own. Orientation was so helpful and you learn a lot there. (There is a reason it is mandatory.) I encourage everyone who is looking into it to attend! The tuition isn't ridiculous, and you honestly get more than your money's worth in some cases. A lot of the professors are very dedicated to help you succeed, especially in the LEAP and BlockU programs. There are tons of options for your major, internships, housing, on-campus jobs, and so on. The faculty is also very big on mental health, stress relief and management, as well as overall campus safety. It's definitely a great place to be! Go Utes!

Henry

The University of Utah is a great University to not only achieve academic success, but as well as a campus full of life and energy. We are proud Utah Utes (our University logo). The campus is full of different activities that you can participate in, for example if you are a gamer and play League of Legends, the University has its own club that meets up every Friday for activities and a chance to be part of life on campus. The U is very open to new ideas and people. We are a diverse campus which I love and I don't believe I've seen any discrimination what so ever since I've been on campus. Being a minority of both race and sexual orientation can be difficult, but being at the U made it possible for me and others to just be themselves and not to worry about being a victim of any discrimination. It's honestly a great community made of not only well qualified professors, but the student body itself is what makes it even more welcoming.

Christopher

I think its got a really good value per dollar. Tuition for in-state students is pretty decent, and financial aid wasn't a pain to get in my experience. The sheer breadth of support on campus is kinda hard to comprehend at first, but the institution is really structured to help you succeed no matter who you are or where you're from. While it's certainly no Ivy League, if you know you're staying in-state or end up in Utah for whatever reason, the U is definitely the place to go.

Isabelle

The University of Utah is a well rounded institution. There are opportunities to get involved in virtually anything you are interested in paired with excellent academics. Students, faculty and staff are caring and kind. You can always find whatever kind of support system you need right on campus.

Zackery

The campus is very nice and beautiful. It is a very large campus that involves a lot of walking from class to class, which isn't a bad thing in the summer. In the winter it can be awful to walk from class to class because the temperature can reach below freezing daily. Overall would recommend this school.

Jodi

The University of Utah is an organization dedicated to quality, community, and giving back. The experiences I have had at the University have propelled me to greater achievements both in my personal and professional life, not to mention my educational achievements. The campus life is a blast - there is always something happening and so many ways to get involved. I really feel that the teachers and advisers I have met care about me and my future and are there to help me achieve my goals.

m

Laupepa

The University is not that bad, but I can't say I have a pleasant experience either. I could boil it down to professors and exams. You'll often note that some of your professors offer no adequate way of learning material and properly preparing for an exam.

Cade

It's a fantastic school where just about everyone can find their thing and succeed. There's a variety of options for students from academics to clubs to sports. The University of Utah has a little bit of everything for everyone. It also has more research options than almost any other school.

Sophia

It is a commuter campus so it can be hard to make connections because most students are concerned more with going home or to work (which is fine). However, there are great campus resources to help combat this (Campus life mentors and clubs) so there are ways to build communities. This campus is BIG so walking the length of it can be strenuous but it is beautiful and right next to the mountains.

Caroline

I personally think very highly of my university, it has a vivid campus life, the facilities are top notch, the students are always highly involved in and out of class. Not to mention the biggest deciding factor: the tuition is cheap by comparison for a four year school.

Kara

I love the University of Utah, it is a school with a big heart. They really want you to succeed and push you to think in new ways. There are many different cultures and lifestyles supported at the U, there is a little bit of everything and it is fantastic. Also, the new facilities are very very nice and the older facilities are antique which is fun in my opinion, I like the diversity there.

Aldrich

I am new to this school and have only visited. I cannot wait to start this fall.

Aleena

The University of Utah is the best that I have known so far. I like the fact that the University is encouraging students to try new things and trying to encourage other clubs or other organizations so it will be known for student resources and make campus a better place. Overall the University is great for meeting new people and they encourage you to do a bunch of other things since your paying some things within your tuition for the classes your studying in. Also, I would like to add that the University is huge and there are plenty of programs that others might be interested in.

Kunetida

The first year at University of Utah was overall a good experience. I lived in Sage Point and although it could get quite rowdy during the nights and weekends, the school cannot be blamed for students’ choices. Financially, the dorms were a bit pricey and I have considered housing off-campus. With the single room housing and meal plan, I was paying around $600-800 a month with the assistance of financial aid. The most I’ve been charged was around $1200. Due to the vandalism from students in my dorm building, I believe we have been charged for repair costs in one payment. You never know what kind of people will be living with you, and so it’s best to keep that in mind if living in the dorms. The Petersen Heritage Center food is decent. They definitely give you options and variety, allowing people to meet their nutritional needs, but sometimes the food could be a bit bland, undercooked, or have hairs in them. I am quite satisfied with accessibility of food and coffee on campus, however. If you choose to live in residence halls, a microwave is your friend. There are no stovetops to cook on and no open-coiled kitchen appliances are allowed. A rice cooker, however is capable of doing many things if you wish to save some money, considering the meal plans can add a couple of thousands to the price. Moving onto classes, I found my classes encouraged engagement and the professors were often available. All you needed to do was speak up. Classmates were often social and willing to study/discuss with one another about topics inside and outside of class. For me, I am not very outspoken and so it was meaningful to me when other students would include me or when teachers would give me time to form my answers aloud through group discussions first. This will vary depending on professors and classmates, but overall, I believe everyone tries to help one another succeed. It’s more of a supportive environment. As for extracurricular activities, there was a surplus amount of these. Various clubs tailored for both international students and U.S. students exist. There was always something going on whether it be sports games, events to spread awareness on global issues, workshops, concerts, and parties such as Crimson Nights. You can make many friends by attending these events, especially if you are part of the outgoing crowd. For me, I mainly focused on the Artsforce events and Emerging Leaders Council I joined. My first year I was able to work in a team to create a short film and start animating. This also provided me with leadership experience and preparation for job searching. There were workshops for interviews, resumes, how to work a job fair, social networking and so much more. I’m sure other majors have something similar. It was easy to find the community I belong to and social networking events were often held to make those connections with other students of similar degrees. I found this essential and one of the most significant parts of my first year at University of Utah.

The University of Utah is very accepting of everybody that attends. We have many students from out of the country that come to learn and are extremely successful. I think one of my favorite parts is that all faculty members have preferred pronouns (I/He/Him) in addition to their names on their name badges. It's very inclusive to the LGBTQ community and I think it's a place where many of them feel safe.

Jessil

I'm proud to be a student at the University of Utah. The university has an amazing campus and variety of opportunities available as a student.

kaylara

As a freshmen I have loved being at the U. There are countless opportunities to become involved on campus. There are multiple avenues to get gear to go out and explore Utah's vast wilderness. There are so many student organizations. Greek life does have a presence on campus, even if its small. I have honestly loved being a Ute.

Crystal

It is a huge campus and very overwhelming. I felt extremely excluded and unwanted until I finally met and clicked with the very small group of socially conscious (woke) people of color who actually care about my educational trajectory. This is what makes it great, but otherwise, it's very hard to navigate.

Leslie

The University of Utah is an institution where the primary goal is success. At the U, the faculty create a space where learning comes easy to the students. The campus is beautiful, and the facilities offer many spaces where students can study and do homework. Going to the University of Utah has been one of the best decisions of my life, and winning a scholarship could help my dream of furthering my education.

Katherine

They work really hard to specialize everyone's experience to make it unique and interesting. There are limitless opportunities for you at the University of Utah. The University of Utah emphasizes free-thinking and innovation. Many companies emerge based on the student and faculty research done at the University. There are a ton of fun things to do while you're not studying or in class. The University of Utah is only about 30 minutes away from canyons where you can hike or bike in the fall/spring/summer, or ski/snowboard in the winter. The University is also located right next to the downtown area where there are great places to eat and shop.

Nola

For the time I have been at the University, I have loved every minute of it. I have attended other colleges but I have never been as successful anywhere else than I have here. My professors are always there to push me forward and have never discouraged me in the slightest. I highly encourage attending University of Utah

Mackenzie

It’s an amazing school with both great academics, as well as many opportunities for recreation. Professors are all willing to help and are often available, and there are always ways to get involved on campus. The atmosphere on campus is amazing, and I would recommend this school to anyone who asked.

Erika

It's a great school. The financial aid office can be difficult to work with. Reagarding class sizes, you'll have a better experience in smaller classroom sizes. The campus is beautiful and you are surrounded by beautiful scenery. Like any school, there are great teachers but there are also mediocre teachers.

Parker

University of Utah is a very good school. The academic quality of classes and programs is really good; I feel like I actually learn how to apply what is taught into personal endeavors. Despite the obvious liberal bias of lots of the faculty, it is still a great learning environment.

Sierra

The school is filled with respectful students and faculty that provide various opportunities for volunteer work. Though some dances and areas are fit for socializing, it's difficult meeting new people. All of the professors do seem to encourage engagement, but it tends to be forced. Most classes are insightful and enlightening.

Jared

Overall the facilities and general atmosphere of the University of Utah is top notch. I use the recreation center quite often and eat out at the many different food trucks and shops on campus. My favorite is Tony Caputo's. I have had some AMAZING teachers and my counselor Jennifer Sweatman is one of the best people I have ever met. I have been sightly disheartened at how much more the differential tuition was for the Business college on top of regular tuition. Aside from that, GO UTES!!

This is the third school I have attended and I've finally found the place for me. The campus is gorgeous (although somehow it's an uphill walk just about everywhere you go). I joined Greek life and can't stress enough how amazing it was as a way to integrate myself in a new school. All of the teachers I've had are fantastic. They take the time to get to know students and actually care about whether you understand the material.

Steven

I feel it is a very good school. They provide opportunity for each person to express and pursue the desires they have. Being right next to the mountains is a plus and is very beautiful. School fees are a little high, but with them there are a lot of included benefits.

I think it has a very beautiful campus. I have visited the Museum on the campus and it was very fun and educational. My mom visited the campus with her work for a conference and she fell in love with the engineering program. She tells me that it is outstanding. She encourages me to attend and I plan to in the year 2020. My friends that attend University of Utah love the school, as well.

Madison

The university of Utah is a great school. I am proud to be a Ute and always will be. I would recommend going to this school. They have great professors and a great student atmosphere. The education department is amazing. The staff and the energy that the school puts into the program is really great. It has been a great place to get my degree.

Robert

The University of Utah is an awesome school to attend. The main thing that stands out to me about it is its willingness to help each of its students reach their academic goals. There are tons of campus resources available whenever I need them, and every counselor or teacher I talk to always seems very interested in helping me succeed and obtain my degree.

Kyle

The university of Utah is a top-class institution. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time studying there and look forward to more learning experiences. Perhaps one of the greatest attributes of this institution are the teachers. All of my Instructors have used hands-on teaching to help us learn the material far better than we could with simple lecturing.

Emilee

The University of Utah is a wonderful school. Every professor I have had has been unique and knowledgable. They are always willing to help you learn and grow. There are ample opportunities to participate in internships, clubs, sports, and more. And, we love our football team!