University of Utah Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Utah

Jimmy

The University of Utah is a good university for new freshmen and transfer students to enroll in. When I was a freshman, I met wonderful professors, make new friends, and go to the library where I study for exams. Also, they had an excellent STEM program for engineer majors to help go further problem solving and extend their knowledge.

For the Masters in Information Systems program: Many of the teachers are also currently working in the field. This might sound great since they have real world experience, but many of them lack quality teaching experience. For this reason the quality of the class greatly varies from teacher to teacher.

Kate

I have loved going to the University of Utah. It has surpassed my expectations. The people that I go to school with are amazing and super motivated. Teachers are easy to get a hold of and are super helpful. I have been having a hard time knowing what major I want to major in. The academic advisors at the University of Utah are incredibly helpful and easy to get a hold of. I have talked to advisors at the college of business, college of engineering, and college of science. They have all been super helpful and have been able to point in the directions to get to know the different majors to help me decide what my end major will be. The campus is kept extremely clean as well which adds to the great learning environment. I am so glad that I chose the U, GO UTES!!!

Laura

The school is amazing! I love living on campus and the academics are fantabulous. The general education classes can be on the larger side, but that is one of the things that a student needs to be flexible on in such a large university. The higher level classes get smaller, and are a great opportunity to learn very valuable information and connect with your professors and teaching assistants. The University of Utah is one of the leading biomedical engineering schools for a reason, and for any students considering the U for biomedical, I strongly and highly recommend it.

Meg

It is a nice school, but a commuter school. They don't expect many people to live on campus so the food can get pricey. The school itself is beautiful and the teachers are extremely experienced in their respective fields. Everyone seems to be quite independent in their studies.

Elma

The University of Utah is a great school! The campus is beautiful, especially in the fall when all the leaves are changing colors. The library and the art buildings are my favorite places because of all the new technology and gadgets readily available to use to my advantage (example: the huge light table in the art building). I love campus life and how everyone is so involved with everything. New clubs beckon you to join and I, myself, have joined 2 clubs already this past year! It's a great school, although the dorms are pretty unkempt in general.

Joanne

The campus itself is stunning. Rolling hills envelop the ample buildings, and the lack of coherent architectural themes is both interesting and somewhat annoying. Set at 4500 ft against the majesty of the Wasatch Mountains, it is a hikers/skiers/boarders/climber's paradise. Professor accessibility appears to differ from department to department, but there are plenty of resources available to supplement what cannot be accessed in the classroom. The professors you do get to know, though, are amazing, and they will go above and beyond for you. There are apps for everything from where to find free food to booking study rooms in various buildings to bus and shuttle schedules. Football is the new sports king on campus while basketball is slowly coming back. Ironically, the most steadily sold out sporting event on campus is the school's women's gymnastic team: the Utah Red Rocks. The U is generally a commuter school, so campus life is really generated at the dorms and in the Greek houses. Personally, I love the place.

Chasity

When deciding where to go to college, I was nervous! I wanted my college experience to define my persona, and give me an identity I was proud to claim. The University of Utah has done that in such a short amount of time, and they have instilled a sense of dignity in me that I hope to integrate into every aspect of my life from now on.

Marti

The University of Utah offers competitive programs, a great campus environment, many additional opportunities, and is located right in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains. This is a great school where there is a lot of school pride. People are happy to be going to this school and happy to have attended this school.

Rob

The University of Utah is a great institution for higher learning. President Pershing is cultivating an open-minded, respectful and safe environment for learning. From sports and board games, to the arts and Greek life, there are plenty of opportunities to engage in extracurricular activities, for those who wish to participate in those activities. The library and Student Life Center and are top of the line facilities for cultivating strong minds and healthy bodies. The grounds crew ensures the sidewalks remain clear of snow and ice during the winter months and also keep the flower beds weeded and looking beautiful during the rest of the year. This institution does a wonderful job teaching the "hard truths", maths, sciences "facts" based courses. However, as far as the "soft truths" go, politics, ethics, the more "opinion" based courses, there is a lack in diversity amongst the faculty for these courses. My professors seem to all be very liberal minded, which is not a bad thing, but I, as a more conservative minded individual, seem to be doing worse in courses than my more liberal peers. After 3 years at this university I've noticed that my papers have gone from stating my own opinion about a topic to writing what my professors wants to hear, so that I can get a better grade in the class. I feel like that type of mentality is toxic and counterproductive when we are supposed to adults with the ability to think on our own. It would be one thing to receive a low grade based off of grammar, spelling or citation errors, but it is another thing entirely to receive a low grade on a research paper because "your strong opinions may offend one of your peers."

Jayde

I have been given so many blessings because of this school. The education I have been able to gain within my first two semesters alone is so amazing to me, and the professors I have had and the friends I have made remind me how lucky I am to be a student here every day. The University has so many opportunities and resources for students, the environment and involvment make it worth the hard work and tuition money. I could not be happier that I chose to attend the University of Utah.

Ammon

When I think of the University of Utah, I think of a prestigious college that has the resources and educational values needed to propel its students towards their desired life ambitions. It is a very large school with big classes and a big campus system that can be a little overwhelming, however, opportunities equal in size and greater are also available at the University of Utah making it a great school to attend and be a part of.

Grace

The campus is beautiful, I really enjoy the classes and staff, and overall it is great. I wish parking was a little bit cheaper but it isn't a big issue. I would have a better time if I got more involved but that's a personal issue. There are a wide variety of clubs and organizations to join and a lot of internships and other learning opportunities.

Mengxuan

People are nice here but I find it difficult to make friends and fit in groups. I think that's mostly because of the huge LDS influence we have here in Utah. People tend to hang out only with those who share the same religion. I wish there was more fun stuff to do on campus.

Nathan

It's a good public university. They provide decent shuttle service around campus but parking can be a pain to find and the construction on campus never seems to end. I got here in 2016 and there is still construction going on all over campus. Not necessarily a bad thing just annoying. Good school, good people, good instructors.

Lucero

The University of Utah is a great university to be a part of. Not only is it close to my home, but the university provides free public transportation! Professors are great and so are the classes. Lots of activities to do on campus! The Marriott Library is a great, quiet place to study if needed!

Bitia

Great state school! I really enjoy the campus vibe and the energy from the students there. It is a great school for anyone and everyone that wants a good education and a magnificent college experience. The resources for help, activities the school plans and food courts are awesome and very accessible.

Kate

The U is the best school in Utah! The academics, student life, and athletics is all around great. It is a beautiful campus and a fun place to be. Everyone is friendly, opening the door for you and saying hi. It's easy to make friends because there are always great activities going on! One of the great activities I have experienced so far as a freshman is the star party on Wednesday nights. I had the chance to look at the moon through a massive telescope and it was breathtaking! Lot's of great people show up to events and make it a new and fun experience every time.

Malak

I think the University of Utah is an excellent school, the campus is wonderful and the students and the professors are very helpful, the clubs that it offers are very great, and the surrounding area is very convenient in case any students need anything, overall it is one of the best schools i have ever seen.

Tyson

The University of Utah in Salt Lake City is an unbelievable university with a top 10 medical school as well as the second ranked research funding program in nursing. The campus is large, well kept and overall a beautiful place surrouned by Utah's mountains. The professors are kind and always willing to go the extra mile to help students. Students are surrounded by a fun and supportive atmosphere with a variety of programs and activities to be involved in. Utah Ute fans are devoted to their sport teams and offer entertaining tailgating parties before home football games. I love the University of Utah and am proud to be a Ute!

Treasure

I absolutely love the U! I couldn't be more happy about my decision to attend. My freshman year a joined a sorority and was a part of student government. These choices and the people I met due to them have made all the difference in my life. If you are willing to get involved then the U is perfect.

Erin

It’s a cool school, but you can tell there are a few people who bleed red. They’re a bit sensitive to information from BYU, our most hated rival. Any time someone wears a BYU tee-shirt, I feel worried for their survival. But all in all services are good, not great, but good.

EMERY

Overall, the University of Utah provides a great education given the cost of tuition. The university doesn't however, make it easy for students to find school specific scholarships. Also, while I know campus safety is important, in the past two years multiple people have died to the the schools lack of security and trust in students. Also the university doesn't place intrapersonal safety, i.e mental health as a high priority.

Kate

It’s a great school, but tuition and fees are making it hard for me to enjoy it fully. I wish more scholarships were available to transfer students.

Gardner

I've loved my experience at the U. A lot of my classes have been really stimulating, especially in the International Studies major and the Political Science minor. The Spanish major is also pretty good, but I had a hard time with how they scheduled their classes. The location is convenient to downtown and football season is really fun.

ivette

It's a great school with amazing opportunities and lots of choices. When I went to visit the campus I got a free folder and it was neat, the folder has amazing colors on the outside and it made me feel nice on the inside. It almost made me feel like the school cared for me.

Nathan

The U of U is a state of the art university equipped with everything students could possibly need including a Student Life Center, Friendly Staff, a Nuclear Reactor, The Huntsman Cancer Institute, and arguably the most important thing the U has, it's right next to The Pie Pizzeria. Best pizza you'll ever have. The U is a member of the PAC 12 and because of this have some pretty exciting sports events. If being in the PAC 12 isn't cool enough for those considering to attend the U, consider this, in 2014 the NCAA ranked our student section the fourth best in the nation. However being a member of the PAC 12 also gives the U access to money and resources for research.

It seems to be a great school for diversity and opportunity although it is quite big. They offer services that can meet the standards for everyone. Even if it's big, you connect and see the same few hundred people over and over and big a community with them.

Braylin

My university is amazing, there are many opportunities to get ahead in life. Right now, I am working in a Pathology Research lab, which is rare, but thanks to my great university I was able to work in a research lab, making a contribution as a freshman. Also working in my Pathology research lab, gives me an advantage for my Major. If you want a "leg up" in the medical field, the University of Utah will definitely help you get there.

Tyler

The University of Utah is a great school. All of the professors that I have personally encountered are professional and available to help. They truly care about each student and many of them will take the time to learn your name and get to know you. Campus is beautiful and large with plenty of services and food. Classes are always offered at different times and scheduling is pretty convenient. Students are challenged to be better every day.

Douglas

College years are what you make of it, and to see some people describe the U being a commuter school is just silly sometimes. For clarification, "commuter school" is what we describe as students only go to class and go back home. They don't partake in activities or anything involving the school. If this is the lifestyle you like, then that's fine. However, to generalize that this school as a whole (30,000+ students and rapidly growing) is filled with mindless study bots is just nonsense. Make your college experience what you want it to be, and my friends and I have done just that. The great outdoors and the DECENT downtown culture drives enthusiasm in a lot of the classmates I know. On-campus housing is perched up on a hill, literally right next some really good hiking trails. The food on campus? Lackluster, but there are plenty of good options off-campus if you're willing to get some good grub. Students in Greek life enjoy it, and I'd say students outside of that are just as content. There's plenty of clubs to get involved in that could cater to anyone's interests, and it's not hard finding the niche of people you belong in (through major, classes, dorms, etc.). A lot of the people I met came to Utah for the ski resorts and national parks, and they were not let down. Make a new friend, carpool with them to see these Utah wonders, and enjoy what Utah has to offer with someone else that shares that interest with you!

Faith

I think the UofU is a great school, and I think in a lot of ways it can be very similar yet very different from other schools. They have some really good food places on campus as well as some not so great places, and I love all of the diversity both in students and professors in the school.

Alex

I have attended a few different schools but the University of Utah was the right fit for me. I lived at home when I attended there for my bachelors so I didn't get to have much of a college experience. But I still had lots of opportunities to broaden my education. While I attended there, I did a study abroad in France for a summer semester and I loved it. The University of Utah provided me with a variety of classes to choose to take for my major and I met some pretty great people along the way.

Kaylin

I had a very poor experience at the University of Utah and wouldn't suggest it to any of my friends who are starting school or transferring. Most of the courses seem elementary and most professors don't seem to care. The negative experience I had with the therapy they offer made me feel even less valued as a student. The worst part about the school is the financial aid department. Every semester the school would hold my funds, release them after the tuition deadline (so that I would have to pay hefty late fees out of my own pocket), and then would never tell me why they held my funds in the first place.

Ryanne

It’s is a great place to meet many different people and do amazing things. You learn and have fun at the same time! The people there are amazing and they are very friendly to one another. They don’t leave anyone out, and they make sure visitors are comfortable in the tours.

Ashleigh

I LOVE the University of Utah. People are focused on the right things, care about each other, the community, and the environment. There are great undergraduate research opportunities and ways to make a difference in the community. Everyone is super supportive and excited about their dreams and successes. This is exactly the place where I am supposed to be. The University of Utah is where you can make your dreams happen.

I love the University of Utah! Campus is beautiful but the people make the school experience well-rounded and overall exciting. The staff and students who fill the university are very welcoming and supportive. I feel like I am so lucky to have so many invaluable resources. GO UTES!

Preston

I like the University of Utah. This will be my first year but I am really excited for it. I hope to make lots of new friends and I hope the people are friendly. I hope there a lot of new people to meet that are cool. I also plan on participating in a lot of extracurriculars.

Ciera

The University of Utah is a great school that has room for a lot of different opinions and mindsets. It's growing all the time and I always appreciated how diverse the majors were and how they tried to keep things up to date and relevant in the every-changing world. I would say for the most part the school has pretty much anything you could want, however, as of late there have been some issues with safety. And it's more about the campus police not taking student threats more seriously. I know they are working on this and I'm hoping with the students being outspoken about this issue that it will be resolved.

Nathan

I think that the University of Utah is a great school to attend. There is a club or some kind of involvement for every type of person. This school is also very academically well put in it's standards. I have really enjoyed my time at the University of Utah and would recommend it to others.

Clare

I have really enjoyed my time at the University of Utah. There is something for everyone on campus and there is always something to do. I am really enjoy watching sports, and being a part of the PAC 12 Conference brings high level athletics to the school. The professors really care about your success, specifically in the Humanities college, as that is where I have experience with. Public transportation makes it really easy to get downtown and to shops if you are living on campus. Overall, my experience at the University of Utah has exceeded my expectations.

WIlliam

The U of U is a great school with a lot to offer. It is however a middle of the road school. They provide great well rounded education for their students. The class sizes were too big to have a one on one relationship with the professor. To make up for it they did have regular office hours but usually the appointments were short and to the point.

Carlie

The U is a fantastic school with plenty of opportunities for everyone! They also make a point of being very inclusive and up-to-date on current issues and events. They can be somewhat liberal at times but all with the best intent! They are good at making sure everyone is welcome no matter their opinions, political/social views, or background. Everyone has a place at the University of Utah

Noah

I really enjoy my experience so far at the University of Utah. For the most part, most people are very kind and helpful and that is students or faculty. The location of the campus is very close the mountains and that is something I really enjoy. I also really like all the resources that are available to me on the campus.

Wisper

The University of Utah is a fantastic school. The amount of Utah pride is insane. The support from students and faculty alike is not comparable to anywhere I have ever been. The academics, especially in the medical division, are some of the very best in the country. If you’re looking for a head start into life the U is a great stepping stone.

JACOB

I really enjoy attending the University of Utah. It is a great school and I have learned much from the classes and professors at the school. I hold the Univesity of Utah at a very high standard and am proud to say I attend there. I have developed relationships inside and outside the classroom and have really enjoyed the growth I have experienced throughout my years.

Trina

It's a great school where you can get a very high quality education at a decent cost. There's a lot of good programs and many great resources available for students at the school. It's difficult to get involved if you don't live on or close to the campus, but there are still a lot of opportunities for everyone at the school.

Jadon

I love the university of utah it has so many opportunities to go out and do what you wanna do. It feels like it is student run and very flexible . I've only gone there for a semester butI've loved it. The only down side Ive seen is for my mandatory advisory meeting it didn't seem like the consoler didn't care, but thankfully other students helped me out.

Milene

The University of Utah is a university that cares about the students and their safety. They provide many resources and encourage students to have open communication about current "hot topics." Also, The University of Utah promotes diversity and reinforce student engagement through many students groups and activities.

Christine

After attending the University of Utah for one academic year, I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the works around campus. The campus is nice and big, but not too big where you will get lost or be exhausted by the end of the day. There is lots of free and/or affordable transportation for students who live off-campus as well (TRAX, Shuttle etc...). I find that the professors care a lot about their students and are always ready to go out of their way to help lead them to success. There are lots of cool events going on for the students such as concerts, sports, art festivals, and presentations. It's a great way to introduce yourself to a variety of different backgrounds and professions!