University of Vermont Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Potheads and hipsters. We certainly have our fair share of them but it certainly doesn't encompass everyone.

Dan

Hippies/hipsters, stoners, open-minded and accepting, from New England, work-hard play-hard types

Dan

There is a definitely stereotype of UVM students being "hippies", varying from stoners to environmentalists. This is our reputation as a university that the administration has been trying to break away from. I believe that this stereotype is actually a draw, and why many kids decide to attend UVM.

The stereotype of students at UVM is that we are all "hippies" and love the environment. Although there are students on campus who are active participators in trying to become more eco-friendly, there are many people who are not as enthusiastic about this. It is easy to become involved in these activities, but it is also easy to fit in if this does not fit your personality.

The stereotype here at UVM is that all the students here are stoner-hippies, and while there is a population of people like that here at UVM, there is also a large population who are not 'stoners' nor 'hippies'. A perfect example of the UVM stereotype could be seen at a college sports bar in Massachusetts. The menu had a burger for each New England state University. All the burgers were named after the school's mascot. For example, UNH's burger was named the Wildcat. UVM's burger was named the Shroom Burger. My girlfriend and I thought it was comical, but were also reminded how UVM is viewed by the rest of New England. A stereotype that is completely false.

Stoners/Druggies. Hippies. Hipsters. Definitely the most common.

Sasha

Honestly, UVM has a wide variety of students. The students range from preppy kids, to stoners, to hipsters, and over achieving honor students. That's what makes the University of Vermont so unique, there are so many different types of people here. I wouldn't use the word "diverse" because when you take a step back you see a lot of white faces but I think the University is making a consorted effort to change that and diversify our campus. At times, I have felt as though many students here are cookie cutter, wearing the same things and into the same sorts of things...but it really depends on where you look. I have friends who are outing club heros and sorority princesses. It's great how random and varied my friend groups are!

I think people see UVM students as a mixture of rich kids, hippies, stoners, and any combination of those. I am none of the above. At first, I was a little uncomfortable with the diversity at UVM, since I come from a private school where the environment was quite different. Yes, I know - "How can you talk about your little prep school and not have the gut to say you're a snobby rich kid?" Well, my mom works there, so I get free tuition - so just try not to assume anything. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of stoners and rich kids here. But there are also a ton of other types of people. Remember - there are thousands and thousands of students at UVM - pretty much everybody is really nice and you'll find people who are just like you and who you can share your great college experience with Greek life is in no way overwhelming at UVM. It exists, but I don't feel pressured in any way to participate. That said, there is nothing wrong with pledging - it's kind of just a 'do whatever you feel like' sort of thing. On a similar note, there is very little judgment here. Since there are so many different types of people, a lot of people just accept people for who they truly are. There isn't that much pressure to be who you aren't. UVM offers a lot of opportunities. As a business student, I have a lot of support and guidance in figuring out just what I want to do in life. You'll be presented with many, many opportunities, you just have to act on them. For example, I joined the Marketing Club. At one of the meetings, a faculty member came and asked if she could get a few people to help organize an event. I figured that I would help - so I offered. Turns out that the event was for the President of Nickelodeon to come and make a presentation on how she got to the place she is now. Knowing that I've met the President of Nickelodeon is just amazing! If that isn't enough, know that the Bruins goalie Tim Thomas went to UVM, and the Stanley Cup came to Burlington last year. :)

bhjg

The stereotype student at UVM has always been Birkenstock-wearing, dreadlocked hippies dressed head to toe in hemp and munching on organic kale chips. While you do see a lot of that here, it's by no means the majority of students. There is everything from frat kids to geeks here, with a big hipster/music scene as well as snowboard/ski scene. Overall everyone has a laid back vibe and it's not unusual to see any of these types of people intermingling.

Gillian

Any time I mention to someone I go to UVM the first things they think of are that it's a party school and that everyone here is a stoner. In reality that is a much smaller community. UVM is full of many different types of people from different places and backgrounds, but the reason I love it here is everyone just meshes together. Everyone has the same sort of attitude, do what you like and don't hate on others for doing what they like. Also at UVM we have a small GREEK life community. Though at other schools the frat boys and sorority girls are more exclusive and tend to only think about partying, that isn't the case here. The GREEK life here is more focused on building strong bonds and doing philanthropy work.

Hope

The University of Vermont stereotype is the cross between the college bohemian and hipster, who is also a stoner and very liberal. There is truth to every stereotype and UVM students are no different, but because the college community is bigger than your average liberal arts school, you just need to come to campus to see that the stereotype represents only a portion of the students. UVM students are also very active, love the outdoors, and some are very academically competitive.

Even though things are way stricter nowadays, UVM still has a strong reputation as a weed smoking school (after all, it is the green mountain state...). While there are a fair share of "crunchy granola" hippie types, you'll find there is some variety in the population. The school definitely does have a more laid back feel to it--people tend to be outdoorsy. There are lots of skiers and boarders (some steezy, some who just like the ridE), some fraternity bros and sororities, but Greek life is not big. Athletics are also not that important in terms of big sporting events (except hockey and basketball) but club sports are big...clubs in general. Lot's of enivornmentally minded people as well, although on the whole the student body can be more apathetic than you would think about political issues (there are hubs of activity though)

Henri

A common stereotype of students at the University of Vermont is that they are all white New Englanders with a passion for skiing and snowboarding. There is no denying that the majority of students at this school are white and from New England (many from Vermont), and indeed much of the student body loves snow sports. However, this stereotype is not entirely accurate. UVM is also home to students from around the country and originating from different ethnical and racial backgrounds. In addition, the school is also host to a handful of international students. As for the skiing and snowboarding, it snows a lot here in Burlington and the surrounding mountains during the long, cold winters, so naturally UVM is a magnet for those that love the snow. But that doesn't mean you need to love snow sports to come to Vermont. The university is also a place of diversified learning and athletic opportunities. No matter your background or interests, UVM has something for everyone.

Henri

Henri

Henri

Henri

Henri

Henri

Henri

It seems the most prevalent stereotype of a typical UVM student is that most of them smoke weed and spend all of their free time snowboarding (or skiing). While it is true that some UVMers do enjoy smoking, this is definitely not something that every UVM student chooses to participate in. As for the winter sports, I will confirm that during the winter months its not uncommon for people to spend the days, afternoons, or mornings they have off at the mountain. Buses run to the mountains from UVM, and students are usually very eager to find a friend with a car who is willing to take on the job of basically running a shuttle to and from the different mountains throughout the ski/boarding season.

Frequently when I tell someone I go to UVM they'll say, '"awesome you must smoke a lot of weed!' So needless to say stoner is a common stereotype of a UVM student. Another big stereotype of the students is for being hippies. Students not wearing shoes to class, not shaving, not showering, just to name a few characteristics. Both of these stereotypes are true to an extent but as with every large school you can find every type of person here.

Henri

Eliza

Everyone assumes that UVM students are either stoners, hippies, outdoorsy, steezy, or just overall laid back. And those stereotypes are definitely found here, but there is so much more here than just those stereotypes and I would never use those words to describe out student body. Instead, I would use the words happy, relaxed, interested, brilliant, fun, risk takers, questioners, and awesome.