University of Vermont Top Questions

Carrie

I would tell myself to learn study tips better so I would be more prepared for classes. As a college freshman I felt that I missed out on freshman activities because it took me longer to finish my school work and study.... Better study habits really do help in college, especially when you are spending tons of money and need to get as much as you can out of your education.

Luis

Everyone in the world always wish to go back and tell there younger something in the future that you want them to avoid or do. For me it would be not what to do, but how to feel about the who process and what not. Usually people and scare, confuse, excitied, or etc, for me it was the first one I was and still am scared about the whole college thing. But that's the thing with me when some situation would come forward I would always let my imangination run wild and I would assume the worst possible scenairo. But most of the turns out not awful as I imangine before. So far all the situations I faced already did not kill me or ruined my life. Therefore should I ever get the chance to go back in time and talk to my younger self. I would tell him the winning numbers for the next lottery drawing. Just kidding nah, I will tell him don't freak out and relax because sure there will a bit more work then usual but it will pass so long as you hold out till the end and keep going straight ahead.

First of all, please be a good listener. Make sure that you are quiet and listen thoughtfully to those you are conversing with; don’t interrupt or just wait for your turn to talk. Though they may not voice it, people appreciate those who actually listen to them, and your conversations will be more meaningful. Second, appreciate how fortunate you are to have the opportunity to take the next step in your education, and give back in any way you can. Third, you don’t have to be the center of attention, and you don’t want to be a one-upper. Even if you have great experiences to share, let others take the spotlight once in a while, and it’s not necessary to always tell all. Keep some experiences to yourself or for those closest to you, you don’t want to look like you are always showing off! Finally, find balance! Work hard on academics and be genuine with your professors. But play as well! Be active, play outside, and socialize. Balancing work and fun make both of them more enjoyable.

I would tell myself that even though change is hard, it is completetly worth it. As hard as it is to believe at the time, the friends that you make in college are people that you can relate to on a new level and help you through the transitioin from home to college. I would also tell myself to take a year off to work before jumping into college without a work experience. It can be eye opening and can help you narrow down what it is you want to study instead of starting with one major and changing it whenever things got too hard or when it didn't feel right. I would tell myself to pursue my passion and to leave some of my logical thinking behind. I would also tell myself that it takes time to figure life out and if you graduate from college, try a field and you decided you don't like it, it's okay to change fields. Just don't forget, change can be hard but it's often worth it.

christina

Travel!

Although this is going to sound corny, I will come right out and say it without any shame. You have got to be yourself. Don't just pick a college because you think it will shape you into who you want to be one day. Pick a college based on how you feel sitting on a campus bench with a cup of coffee and time to kill. Try to envision yourself walking down the library steps and meeting your friends or reading a textbook that you actually enjoy. If you could surround yourself with everything that makes you a happy person, you could certainly thrive in that environment. Your school of choice should embrace your whole being, catch you in a net of understanding, and urge your intellectual growth. Talk to current students in the fields of study you are considering to see if their experiences might suit you well. However, don't get caught up in one field of study that your parents are pushing you to take. Take risks and step outside of your comfort zone every once in awhile. Stop having expectations altogether! You will get to know yourself in ways you never thought you could.

Kelley

I would tell myself three things: 1) Find friends in college early on who are supportive, positive, kind, friendly, respectful and eager to do well in school because those are the friends you will be able to lean on in tough times who will share your burdens and pick you up when you are at your lowest all the while helping you toward one of the most important goals of your life: a fulfilling and hard earned college education. Be quick to let go of those who are malicious and do not have your best interests at heart. 2) No matter how big your class is or how intimidating your professor is, try your hardest to reach out to him or her. Your professors and other faculty members are vital to your success as a college student and are great tools you can use to do well. 3) Get involved with two or three campus activities that you enjoy and can really dedicate some time toward bettering as a whole. Volunteer your time to a good cause and an organization that is reputable and you will earn lifelong friends and professional contacts whom you can call on later in life.

Kellie

If I could give any advise to my high school self, it would be to believe in myself. As a biology major, college is a challenge that requires endless effort and determination and pushes you to extend past the limit that you thought you knew to become the best that you can be. To succeed, I have had to grow and allow my perseverance and determination become the fire that fuels the endless hours of studying and work that I must do. Yet, even with this effort, sometimes the results we want are not so easily achieved. When this happens,it's like a striking blow to the stomach that leaves you winded and unbelieving. It's hard to get back up after a hit like a disppointing grade, or when the workload seems never-ending and threatens to overwhelm and drag you down. In times like this, I would tell my high school self to remember to believe in myself. Even the most difficult of times will pass and in college, your best is all you can do but you must believe that you can do it. I would say, "You can, and you will," because I have.

Ryota

I would tell myself to keep playing sports like tennis and soccer. Because if I practiced more in high school, I would be able to join the tennis team in this school because they are not that good. Also, I would tell that I should keep practicing soccer because I would be able to join the club team. I would also tell myself to bring a lot of warm clothes so that I would not die from the cold here. It goes down to below 0F and did not expect to be this cold when I first decided to come here. Finally, i would encourage myself to study more at school so that I will be ready for massive work in college with my major.

Jena

The best piece of advice that I would give myself if I could travel back in time would be that I do not have to reinvent myself. College is not about changing who you are completely; it is about working on the foundation that you have already built for yourself. The transition away from home will be considerably easier if you stay confident in whom you are and surround yourself with like-minded peers. To do this, rely on those who love you and who have been there for you during those smaller transitions. You should not be afraid to ask for guidance, your family and close friends will only ever want what is best for you, but they cannot help unless you start the conversation. Though you should not completely reinvent yourself, you can work on being more outgoing and creating more connections. Only work on the things that you know would benefit your future.

michael

First and foremost i would tell myself to enjoy high school while it lasts. High school came easy to me, while i played sports and barley studied i achieved a 4.0 GPA and finsihed in the top 8{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my class. This was a curse more then it was a blessing, because while i coasted by in high school i missed out on important study skills that i would need for college. This proved to be the most important thing that i missed out on in high school. When i got to college and i was faced with a incredibaly touch academic schedule and this put a lot of stress on me to do well. If i learn the necesary study skills in high school, it would have been an easier transition.

Weber

If I could go back in time, I would tell my 17 year-old self to relax and know that I still have a lot of learning and growing up to do. When I was a senior in high school, I thought I had life pretty much figured out. I had a 10-year plan. I saw myself as an adult and couldn’t wait for the world to start treating me as one. Here is the advice I have for the young woman: “You do not have life totally figured out and you certainly are not done growing yet. Things will change to your 10-year plan and that is perfect too” In my first few months of college I quickly learned that I didn’t know as much about the world as I thought I did. College was not an easy adjustment for me. It took until the end of my sophomore year to find a major that fit my passions. My final piece of advice to seventeen-year-old self would be to take a year off before going to college, find an apprenticeship internship program, and really learn a thing or two about the world.

Monalisa

If I can go back and be a senior in high school, I would've went straight to college. I would say work hard and put your mind to it, because anything is possible and as long as you can dream it, you can achieve it. I would say apply for many scholarships; go to a library and do research and find ways to get a hold of all the free money, they have lingering around to students who want to become something, anything. Don't wait for when you get older, it is always easier to jump into it and finish up before responsibilities come into the picture. Respnsibility meaning money to survive, children, living situations, etc. When you are young you can always accomplish more because you don't have to deal with real life everyday struggles. You are a young adult, your job is to finish high school, go to college and pursue your dreams. In conlusion I have always wanted to work in HealthCare field and become a Nurse. Although, money has always been an object and without the wealth most are unable to go for their dream. Which brings me to where I am today ...

Steve

Once my past self subdued his excitement about meeting his future self, and the fact that he would one day be able grow a wicked goatee, I would look him straight in the eye and say, "Pay attention! Not just to me, but to everything. You are doing a horrible job at living in the here and now, and everything that is happening to you now is being missed. Stop assuming that everybody else knows what is best for you and start making your own decisions!" When I state "everybody" he will undoubtedly know that I am referencing the church we attended then. I would continue, "You do not need to go into seminary just to prove to others that your belief system is valid! Tell you what, why not give this whole Neuroscience thing a try. I guarentee that you will not be disappointed. Those around you may be, but they are not you and, obviously, they don't know you. Its time to start exploring your own talents and interests regardless of what they might think. I know it is your goal in life to help people, so why not do that in a way that suits you."

Yaicha

I have pondered this question many times since graduating high school nearly eight years ago. Initially, I thought I would go back in time and tell the younger version of myself which career path to choose. Oh, the time and energy I could save! However, I realize that I only came to this decision after many years of shadowing, doing research, and pondering all the possibilities. Searching for this correct career path also helped me to realize valuable things about myself: what my priorities in life are, my strengths and weaknesses, and what choices will help me to grow as a person. I am confident about my career choice because of the time and effort I have put into making it. I would not trade this experience for the world. If I could go back and speak to my younger self, I would have one piece of advice to give. This would be: "Everything happens for a reason, you will surprise yourself by how strong you can be, and everything will work out in the end". I never believed these words then, but I do now, and I think hearing them years ago would have brought me great comfort.

Luisa

Do not let others put you down; if you think you can do something do it! Whether it is trying out for the school musical or applying to a selective college do not let fear of rejection stop you from doing anything. Also, do not worry about what others are doing. You may think that in order to be "cool" you have to fit in with a certain crowd but the truth is you do not. The best times you have are with people that you actually like being around so do not change yourself to fit in with others. Trust me, as soon as you graduate high school you will not even care about the people you were not friends with. Smile more often; you always look so serious. Don't scare people away with a sour face. A smile is a great gateway to new friendships. College is going to be so much fun - a time to meet new people, learn new things about the world and most importantly about yourself. Use this time wisely and be open to new experiences. Do not let your insecurities from high school stop you from having fun.

Keithen

TAKE AS MUCH MATH AS POSSIBLE!!! Take more math and then a lot more! You know what take another math class! Take the ACT ten more times! You will be surprised on how high you could have scored. Don't spend ANY money!!! NONE! Don't buy that motorcycle or that new Xbox. Work 10 hours not 8! Life is going to slap you in the face and then giggile. It will be alright. Your girlfriend is going to stay with you stop stressing! Your not going to have to eat rocks for the next month stop stressing! Stop Stressing! STOP STRESSING! Life is all good. It is going to involve a lot of work and you are going to have to flip that procrastinator mojo around but you will don't worry. Just Keithen don't worry your going to work hard and do Great! (But really take more math classes, I am taking College Alg. and Trig. at once because of you!)

Take your time, Lauren. College is an amazing experience in which you cannot fail. Try everything. Be patient. Be comfortable with not knowing your major, not knowing your minor, not knowing exactly what you will do when you graduate. Allow yourself to enjoy the uncertainty of it and allow that uncertainty to motivate your creativity. Work on discovering what you enjoy doing, your strengths, your dislkies, what you can improve, what you want to learn, what you don't want to learn. Don't look back. The future holds the details. In the meantime, enjoy the the journey.

Aziza

I would advise my high school self to explore a diverse amount of topics and and take it slowly during the first year of school... the wants of your 18 year old self and 21 year old self are very different. Make friends, explore all your options, and you will find your niche.

Be open, talk to everyone and make friends. Focus hard on college and get good grades. Always use your recourses. Talk to different adults on campus to help you along.

Holding the assumptions high of reaching my long ago known teenage self for a little one on one, my mind begins to spin. There are many thoughts I wish to have thought more of in greater sense of dedication. With acquired wisdom at hand I would profusely press ideas of time management and self-awareness. Some aspects and processes along the lines of putting your head in books and not directing full focus on your friends, true friends last forever. Seriously save money and your passions, because your future is approaching faster than you expect. Apply yourself in every way to better yourself, apply to scholarships, grants, anything to help your way through college and off to your dreams. Pay off debts now to better your credit later, you will need it. Never hold your eyes wide shut, don’t waste what you don’t have because money dissolves so don’t ever smoke a cigarette. Always never forget to remember your seatbelt, watch the news and build a better relationship with your mother. Spend more time getting to know your brother and your family. Life is this magnificent ploy awaiting your success and opportunity waits for no one.

Fiona

Keep your head down and finish high school as fast as you can. Ignore all those bitches who put you down and your so called friends who made you feel worse about yourself. I promise the day will come that you will smile because you feel like smiling. You will be happy and you will enjoy your surroundings. This place will be in Vermont. TREK is an opportunity that you can not pass up this is where you will find yourself and discover what it feels like to love. Be yourself. You don't need friends because those people, they are not your friends. They will not be your friends a month from now when you really need them. You will discover then that your friends are the ones who came and stood beside you. Vermont is your home, UVM is where you belong. Keep your chin up kid, things will turn around and you will be happy. I promise you that. Ignore the voices telling you that you are not good enough, that nothing will be good and that something is wrong with you. Nothing is wrong with you, it's them that are wrong.

When I think back to the first day I arrived on the University of Vermont campus, I see a timid girl, fresh out of high school, who was nervous about making friends and starting classes. When I look in a mirror today, I see a completely change, responsible, focused, determined, confident, and prepared woman. In only 1.5 years my time at the University of Vermont has shaped me and taught me to be responsible for myself, academically, financially, and socially. Dedicated professors and advisors, demanding but rewarding courses, and well planned curriculums have helped to improve my time managment skills, take my education into my own hands, and find my focus and career path for my future. Balancing a social life, class schedule and work schedule has taught me the importance of prioritizing. Required courses such as a speech class and diversity requirements have prepared me for my entrance into the professional world. Lastly, the UVM/Burlington atmosphere has engulfed me in such a sense of acceptance and belonging that my confidence has grown and I have come to embrace my own personal identity as a hard working, open minded, responsible and passionate environmentalist.

Saskia

I have gotten a lot out of my experience as a UVM student. I gained valuable knowledge and skills. We were not only taught facts but also new ways of thinking and researching. It is much more useful to learn how to think and reason rather than only how to memorize facts. These skills are useful in both my personal and professional life. I honed my writing skills at UVM since a lot of my classes required many papers and not just tests and exams. I have found that writing is a skill that many do not learn properly and it is still required and appreciated in the work force. I am also grateful for the international experiences that UVM allowed me. Within my major, environmental studies, international studies were encouraged so I spent a year studying in New Zealand. I also went to Costa Rica and Belize through classes taken at UVM. These experiences will last a lifetime. It is invaluable for students to take advantage of study abroad opportunities so they can be exposed to other cultures, ideas, lifestyles, beliefs, and worldviews. I appreciate that UVM gave me those opportunities.

Arielle

I am currently in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M, and I have learned that you have to dedicate yourself to what you want to do in life. I have learned that before you become a leader you must first follow. Working together as a team before you are an individual will help in all career fields. I am learning life long lessons that will aid in my success and future accomplishments. I plan to go to graduate school to become a veterinarian. I am going to take leadership, dedication, discipline, and military style living that I have learned from the Corps and an amazing education at a well accredited school to become a doctor of veterinary medicine.

isaiah

I have not complety finished my college experience but if i had to sum up whats happened so far...i would so far its so so great i hope tp look forward to the following years of my kick ass experience!

I have only attended the University for one semester and I do not regret my desicion to attend at all! I had the opertunity to participate in a program call the intergrated social sciences program. This program gave me the oppertunity to focus on my field of study as a freshman. Additionally, I was taught by professors that only teach seniors and maybe one or two classes open to juniors. Not only was I taught by them but I was invited over to their houses for dinner! Next semester, I am even writting a thesis (as a freshman) with the head of the global studies department. With this program I lived with the other 20 students in a suite style dorm. This allowed us to support each other with these extremely challenging but valuable classes and we all had similar personallities. It was a blessing to have classes with only 20 students at a large school like the University of Vermont. I learned so much from these professors and I was pushed every day to knew extremes. I would not trade this once in a lifetime experience for the world!

College was amazing and that experiecnce I had was one of a kind. What I learned in college was inavluable and nonreplaceable, how can you replace the knowledge, friendships, and community that surrounded the University of Vermont. Everyone who went to my university was kind and sharing, the experience I had prepared me for the real world. As an education major I was well prepared for the types of problems that I would encounter in the real world. I felt that I was well prepared and that I have done quite well in the real world. As I start my gradaute program I am excited that I have the oppurttunity to do so and I equate that oppurtunity and see that it's basis is from my undergraduate program and the University of Vermont.

I have developed a stong sense of who I am and who I want to be in my career path. I have met some amazing professors with awesome life stories that inspire me to work hard. The community is healthy, active, and accepting of all people. The area is beautiful with lots to do. Classes are interesting and I enjoy going, and everyone is accepting and there to help.

I have learned to understand the world better and that people come from all different kinds of backgrounds and that this is extremely important to remember when trying to understand our social reality around us. This can help with business, travel, studying, interctions, etc. Attending college has challenged me to demand more from myself academically, athletically, socially and fiscally.

My experience so far at UVM has been truly life changing. I am a Political Science and English double major, and while I have not taken enough English classes so far to know a lot about the department, I know the Political Science department is truly exceptional. I have been challenged and encouraged in every single one of my classes. I feel inspired and alive and eager to learn because of my professor's enthusiasm and the rigorous material. I have also joined a sorority recently and that has improved my experience times ten. My perception of Greek Life has been completely altered and I have, in turn, been learing to reserve my judgments until I get to perceive something with my own eyes. I have been forced out of my comfort zone. I have learned to stand on my own and get things done on my own terms.

Educationally, I have learned many things about my field. In certain classes, I had the opportunity to work with real companies doing work that they actually used that dealt with my major. I have met the most amazing people. They have taught me about different areas of the country and different ways of thinking. I have also learned how to push myself more academically and otherwise. I did not have to try very hard in high school and learned in college that I could achieve much more if I pushed myself. I began to study harder and be less lethargic about my schoolwork. I also worked through college and picked up as many shifts as possible during the summer, learning how dedicated and versatile I could be as an employee. Mostly, through my experiences and the people I have met, I learned about myself and who I am.

Before I decided to go to my community college, I was planning on going to a 4-year school. When my graduation came around I found out that my community college was offering free tuition for those who have a 3.0 grade point average and also volunteer. I was ecstatic. I got my first year free and am having a blast helping the local animal control. I am also getting this year for free also. I am also glad I decided to stay home and go to my community school, because it gives me a chance to mingle with those unlike me. I love learning about everyone and their passions. If I had gone to that 4-year school to begin with, I may not be having as much fun as I am.

Gillian

Upon completion of my college education, I hope to have honed the skills necessary to contribute positively to the world in which I live. Ths far, a college education has offered me the opportunity to pursue my interests, in addition to discovering new ones. I had already decided to major in European History prior to attending the University, but did not anticipate a love of Classics, a revelation that contributed to my adopting of a second major. Through prioritization, and an ongoing search for positive outlets to focus my creative energy, I have been able to excel in my courses, despite a full schedule. I made the Dean’s List during my first semester at the University of Vermont, and was accepted as a member of the National Collegiate Scholars. I hope to graduate with honors in my fields of European history and classical civilization, while developing friendships and savoring varying experiences along the way. A college education will grant the fulfillment of these goals, and allow me to actively pursue a graduate education in archeology.

Candice

I love college. It's one of the best experiences of my life. I feel i'm going to get alot out of life by going to college and taking care of my family.

So far out of my first year I've gotten some of the best friends I've ever had. Also the university has fair professors that are always willing to help, eventhough you probably won't take advantage of this as much as you should. Everyone seems very passionate about their line of work, besides only one teacher I had for a lecture class. Also there is a great sense of community on campus and downtown, which is basically an extension of class anyways. I've learned a lot in the last year and I'm looking forward to my next year to continue my studies. In my first semester my Calculus professor revitalized my interest in math and now it is my major along with Japanese. Vermont might not have as many shops, restaurants, and anything, but while there you appreciate what you do have, and when you leave you'll miss it. You'll treasure the two McDonalds that are within walking distance and you'll also treasure the great restaurants on church street. Burlington is just a beautiful town, and the University of Vermont is a great place to learn.

Mercer County Community College is my current institution where the focus is on "student success". During my two years I have met teachers, administrators and other individuals who have helped me grow into the person I am today. I have served on the Student Government as Parliamentarian and Vice President, on the student run news broadcast MCN Live as reporter, anchor, producer and director. Academically I have been stimulated by the Honors Program, which gives allowed me to delve deeper into topics, do research and work collaboratively to acheive a goal. Mercer has prepared me to take the next step in my education and has shown me what my purpose in life is.

Mikaela

Selecting a college to attend was one of the hardest choices I've ever had to make, and I think that the most valuable thing I have learned here at UVM is that I chose the wrong school. UVM is a great school, but not the one for me. Through coming to this conclusion, I learned what I really want out of my college experience. I learned where I fit in and what I am interested in. During my year here at UVM, I have sifted through a maze of "Green is Good" signs, dodged a few ultimate frisbees, and held my breath in a haze of cigarette smoke and weed. And I have emerged as a more confident, self-assured individual, ready to make my mark on the world. I know now that I have a thirst for knowledge, that I want to pursue an English degree, and that I want to live and work closer to my hometown of Cape Cod. But most of all, I know now that none of the things I want for my life exist in Vermont. This scholarship will help me to transfer to a school where I belong. Please help!

Independence and a sense of adulthood. It is great to be on your own and be responsible for your own actions. My classes have all been great and I am on a good track for where I want my life to go.

Don't freak out, its me, well.. you.. from the future! I have some serious advice for you, first off, you will meet a girl named xana in about a year, big mistake buddy, enjoy the single life. Secondly, don't ever forget how good it feels to walk across that stage, graduating high school with a 4.0 gpa and keep up the good work. In college you are going to meet hundreds of people going through the same transition as you. Don't worry about keeping up with the parties and drugs, you dont need to try everything once. Instead, spend your time and money on things that make you happy when you feel burnt out from studying, like seeing a movie or dinner with friends. Smoking weed may be fun, but its not going to feed and your family a few years down the road. Remember why you're going to college and everything will be okay. Above all else, dont take communication law with prof. ganchew, dont get that tattoo of long island over christmas break, and stay away from that xana girl, she's nothing but trouble!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself, "Although you will go into college with a declared major, take a variety of classes. Do not be afraid to take a science course that involves a lab or a crazy philosophy course. College is really a place for finding out what you want to and what you want to be a part of. Do not be afraid of the different people here and join clubs and groups and apply to different types of community housing. Make friends with everyone and if you do not stay friends with everyone, that is okay. Things will change at a faster rate than they ever have before in your life, but you just need to hop on the roller coaster and enjoy the ride because it will go by faster than you could have imagined. Most of all, make sure you have fun and make memories that will last for a lifetime because it is your life to live."

It is the atmosphere of a school that cultivates your personal experience. You are completely able to create a great situation for yourself regardless of the university. You can always find niches and silver linings that fit with the person you are looking to grow into. That said, the atmosphere of a university is the single largest impact on you. Inevitably, being submersed in an environment for years will influence you. Therefore, choose a school with an atmosphere that you believe will force you to expand in ways you would like to grow. For example, if you would like to become more involved in the environment, look for a school with a strong focus on being environmentally responsible. Or, if you would like to transition into being a serious student, find a university with a rigorous student body. Essentially, look honestly into yourself right now and think about what your goals for school are. In what ways do you want to grow and change? Ideally, how do you envision yourself upon graduation? From there, pick a school whose atmosphere fits best with your personal goals. Go to school and be whole-heartedly open to everything it has to offer.

Shauna

Dear 2008 Shauna, Wow, you must be excited to be going to college! You're finally leaving home, you?ve bought all your supplies and you're ready to move in! Well, before you get too excited, allow me to let you in on a secret: you're going to leave for Christmas break at approximately 5pm on December 19th {don?t ask how; I just know) and you're going to unplug your fridge and close the door and leave. This is a MISTAKE. Your RA won?t warn you about it because they probably figure you're smart enough to leave your fridge door open, but you're not. Nope, you?ll leave it closed and while you're gone, mold will grow in it. Yeah, big colonies of wet, brown mold?lots of them?and when you get back you're going to have to scrub it out. You're not going to like it, I promise. So dear, na?ve freshman Shauna, if there is one piece of advice you take from me: keep your fridge door OPEN when you leave for Christmas, please, for both of us. Thank you and good luck! Sincerely. 2010 Shauna

While Grades and SAT's are important, extracurriculars and finding outlets are just as significant. I found a large school that actually read my application, and although it's not wher I thought I wanted to go originally- I consider myself so lucky to have wound up here. Apply to school near and far, with different sizes and communities. Then visit the ones who accept you- you'll know where you belong.

Alysha

If I could go back and talk to myself I think the best advice I could give is the same advice a friend gave to at the beginning of high school and that is "live in the present." High school goes by so fast and college goes by faster. I think we have a tendency to always be looking ahead so much that we forgot about whats going on right now. If you just focus on the present -- on your current classes, friends, living situation, clubs, etc. you will be so much happier and do so much better. If you're constantly worrying about whats to come your going to have a really hard time adjusting to college life, or to any changes that life throws are you. The future is always going to change and we really have no control over that. The present is a present and we should really treat it as such and just enjoy it while it lasts, the futures going to be our present soon enough anyway.

Brienne

There is only so much that you can learn through books and manuals about a school. Sure, you can go on campus tours or stay overnight too- but that won?t help much either. What?s important in the selection process is uncovering your passions. What is it that you enjoy in the barest sense of the word? If you are capable of making a list of interests, for instance if you enjoy good music and nature, then you are already better off than following all of the survey mumbo-jumbo. What I have found is that college is college. All across the globe college students are pretty much doing the exact same things. Sure the atmosphere may vary from a desert poolside in Arizona to icy slopes in Vermont, but, when it comes down to it, people are learning, eating, drinking, socializing, lounging, and being active wherever you go. It?s important to decide what you are passionate about and don?t worry about the rest. If you are true to yourself then the location and transition don?t matter, because you will naturally just surround yourself with good people and the environment that is most suitable to you.

Kerry

As a senior I looked forward to college for reasons any typical teenager would. I was excited to go out on my own and have some fun. Once I decided to go to UVM, I did what any senior did and developed senioritis. My friends became more important than school and I took no pride in my school work. If I could go back and talk to myself, I would tell myself that what is best to look forward to is not partying; the best part of college is actually the reason why you are sent there, to learn. At UVM I have learned to take pride in my work, my academic integrity has grown. In high school there seems to be more fooling around then getting work done. But I've learned that listening to lectures is very enlightening and interesting. My classes are much more challenging. My high school self would have considered more work a hassel and a chore. Therefore if I could go back in time; I would tell my high school self to keep working hard, to take pride in my work, and look forward to my college education with eagerness instead of indifference.

The advice I would give myself is to have a really good idea of what college I want to attend before I go and visit many of them. I spent way too much money applying to schools that were too expensive or far away. I would tell myself to look at the underlying reason I am going to a school (instate tuition makes UVM the cheapest, and it is close to home). I would tell myself and others that you think you want to go as far from home as possible, but in the end, people always want to go back home. Also, pick the school that fits these criteria, and is best for your major or field of study. Another piece of advice, pick the school that is moderately difficult to get in; I needed a challenge, and UVM was the perfect challenge for me. Another thing, SAT and ACT scores are not the most important aspect of your application. I did not get the best scores, but I was still accepted to 5 out of 7 schools I applied to. What's most important is your High School involvement.

Garth

I think the best advice I could give is to obtain the required class materials as early as possible. Send an email to the professor if clarification is needed. Find as many scholarships as possible; do every one possible.

Do your absolute best in high school and don't get so worked up abuot which college you go to, you will make the best of wherever you go and love it. Good luck! Have fun and enjoy.