University of Vermont Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Vermont

I really like UVM in terms of social life and learning. I've easily been able to make great friends through my learning community and through extracurricular activities that the students run. The professors are also great and we have great labs available for students. I wish the administration was better though and I've been disappointed at how they've treated students and staff.

Jenny

so i am a freshman so i do not really know what it was like before covid-19 but right now its ok I'm not really involved in anything but from what I have seen everything is pretty relaxed. the teachers I have meet so far are really nice and understanding.

Emma

The University of Vermont was an excellent choice for my undergraduate experience. I was looking for a school with challenging academics that was located in an area with access to both urban amenities and rural activities. During my time at UVM, I was a studying Environmental Studies in the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources. This is one of multiples ways that a student can study the topic. Environmental Studies is a degree offered by multiple schools within UVM and students can choose their path of study depending on the topics they are interested in. I chose to study within the Rubenstein School because the curriculum was rigorous and focused heavily on building a foundational knowledge in the sciences. I lived both on and off campus while living in Burlington, Vermont. Burlington is such a small city that it was easy to access the downtown area from either living situation. I loved riding my bike, walking, or taking the bus around town. Public Transportation was easy to use and free with use of my student ID. When downtown, there are great restaurants and shops to visit in your free time. I spent a lot of time doing homework at Muddy Waters and thrift shopping at Battery Street Jeans. Overall, I really loved my time at the University of Vermont for the academics, downtown activity, and general intellectual culture of the area. My only critique is that the tuition is very expensive. I was fortunate to receive a good portion of scholarship money, but still graduated with about $45,000 in debt. That being said, UVM is considered a public ivy and has a very good reputation. I would just encourage any student applying to schools to really consider your career opportunities and goals post-graduation.

Aurora

I am greatly enjoying being a student at UVM. However, I am a graduate student taking a few courses at a time. Perhaps if I had done my undergrad at UVM, I would have a different opinion. I love living in Burlington. It is a walkable and bikeable city overlooking Lake Champlain. There is a great arts scene and nature is close by.

Erica

I love UVM, but I think that they tend to gloss over the unsavory elements during promotions and tours. The bathrooms in dorms are really janky and often flood. The dorms in some buildings are huge and gorgeous, some are smaller and falling apart. The upside of these are that the maintenance crews are very responsive and will have the issues fixed or at least addressed within 24hrs. If it is an emergency, they respond within minutes.

Ky

Great school. Countless different personality groups thrive here. Burlington is a great town that always has something to do after class and on the weekends. Dorm life is pretty good but living off campus is much better. Dining halls could be better but you get used to it.

D

The campus is beautiful. However, the weather can be a turn off. There's a brief period of summer in the beginning of the year followed by a long, freezing winter. Mud season is in full bloom by the time finals roll along. There are so many opportunities available.

Macarena

UVM is my dream school. And when I got there, I was reassured that this is the place where I want to spend my next four years at. There is always something going on. I wish I had time to do all of it. The students there are very into skiing and being outdoors, so if you love that stuff, then you'll fit right in. But even me, who wasn't part of that outdoorsy crowd was still able to find a place to fit in, because there are so many clubs available. You will easily find people who are passionate about the same things you are. With regards to housing, I personally love where I lived in my freshman year because it was new dorm. I recommend living in the Wellness Environment, then you will have a chance to be placed in the new dorms. Uheights is also good, but those are for the Honors College kids. The other dorms are okay and a little more spacious, but they could definitely use some improvement. The food is amazing. I'm a vegetarian and I'm able to find healthy options in every dining hall. The best is Redstone when it comes to food. For aesthetic and clean purposes, central is the best and the newest. UVM LOVES HOCKEY. We always go to the games, they are very fun and traditional. That is our biggest sport. For academics, as a global studies major, I have a very flexible schedule for the next four years, I get to learn things that I actually want to learn, but for STEM majors, they do have to take a lot of requirements and they basically have their schedule set up for them for the next four years. They struggle a lot with the heavy workload, but if you really want a career in STEM then I say go for it. My professors are funny, relatable, passionate about their work, and available. UVM is a wonderful school to attend. Go catamounts !

Brian

In a world where education is a luxury for many, I feel so privileged to be able to attend the University of Vermont. The school is situated on a beautiful campus with lots of "green" that flourishes during the months of summer and early fall. During winter, you see almost everyone hit the mountains for a good ski day! If you're not a skier, there are plenty of shops that sell amazing coffee and hot cocoa to keep you warm. No matter the season; however, there are myriad extracurriculars and events for students to participate in. From SGA (Student Government Association), to Beekeeping, to the numerous Athletic teams (both intramural and club), UVM is premier in hosting a niche for everyone. While the campus exudes vibrancy in student opportunities, it is also emanates inclusivity and activism. Students at UVM are welcoming of everyone; no matter their background or identity. This resonates with me, especially since I am a first-generation Latino student. I really love that my school fosters a culture that embraces and celebrates individuality. Additionally, I appreciate that students at UVM aren't afraid to make their voices heard; both on local and national levels. We are more than willing to unite in solidarity to leave a lasting mark on the world. From lobbying at our own state house in Montpelier, to traveling to D.C for the Women's March -- UVM students care about using their voices to initiate positive change. I'm happy to say that I've fallen in love with my school and I couldn't imagine fulfilling my undergraduate career anywhere else.

The student population here is awesome and seem really supportive. There are often protests happening on campus or in downtown Burlington. Students having their own voice is a big topic among students. They're not afraid to tell you what they think, especially when it comes to the school's administration which likes to spend money on image (Wellness Environment, new science building, new athletic complex) rather than on funding art programs or paying the actually valuable faculty members higher wages. Very liberal school for the most part. The dining halls are garbage and on-campus housing is alright depending on where you are. Residential Life is starting to require students to live in "programmed housing" which is a way to force community between students. I personally think its ridiculous because everyone for the most part forms their own community when they arrive. Variety and quality of classes is great although taking classes that are in different colleges can be a pain but I think that's the same everywhere. I love being here and despite its problems, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Sophie

I believe that as far as schools go, it has done a good job at being open to students' opinions and allowing our thoughts and ideas shape the way our school works and runs. For example, they may not like it, but they allow us to protest something we few as not right. They are pretty active in the political scene and support students of color, LGBT+ students, and students with disabilities.

Natalie

The population at UVM is super friendly. People are very into outdoor activities, especially hiking and skiing. There is also always something to do whether it is on campus, or off. There is such a broad range of clubs & intramural sports offered, that there is definitely something for everyone. Overall, I wouldn't want to go to any other university.

Katie

If you're looking into a solid STEM school, UVM is a good place to look at. There are tons of renovations and new buildings for STEM being put up right now, and I'm sure they definitely talk it up on the tour. UVM is a beautiful campus, and most if not all of the professors I've encountered are very approachable, passionate, and understanding. The unlimited dining is bland and sometimes disgusting, but the premium dining is great. If you're going into your freshman year go ahead for the extra points (300 point plan), because believe me you will get very tired of bland food fast. I also recommend programmed housing, especially the ones in Living/Learning. Traditional housing tends to lack in programming and community.

SaraJane

UVM's a socially active, outdoors loving, kind hearted school. There's a lot to do in town and the campus is accepting and generally positive. If you're into yoga, skiing, local foods, and the environment, this place is paradise.

Jordyn

Overall, the University of Vermont is a really great school. The only recommendation that I have is for renovations to take place upon all of the on-campus housing. This renovation would be to modernize the on-campus housing buildings, and to expand the room sizes. These are two factors that would make living on-campus at the University of Vermont that much more enticing.

Sierra

Beautiful Campus, smaller size which I prefer, and there are many resources available. I am very pleased with this school and the opportunities it offers. The people are very friendly and the teachers care about their students success. I am most pleased with the academic resources available.

A

The courses are pretty solid, and professors are generally helpful and willing to meet with students outside of class -- if you're interested in a research assistant or summer internship position, or in designing an independent study, you'll find that professors are super accommodating and there are plenty of outside the box opportunities. In general, the students aren't very serious, but hey...it's a state school. Lots of smoking and drinking even on weekdays, so if you aren't the type to listen to Sublime with a joint in hand at 1 am on a Tuesday, you may feel out of place (unless you're part of a club like ALANA or LGBT). My dorm had to start charging a special fee for vomit the cleaning staff dealt with. That said, the in-state/1st gen/lower-middle class/I'm-spending-my-own-money-to-be-here students care a bit more about academics. As can be expected, the students (and most professors) are left leaning, and even moderate conservatives will feel unwelcome. Although I happen to be quite liberal, I still found the political closed-mindedness (along with uninformed protesting) to be off-putting. The dorms are fine, food is fine, frats are limited, dress is casual, and the students are pretty laid back and friendly. If you want to work hard and learn a lot, you can. If you want to make a fluff major and hike and organize protests, you can. Or if you just want to spend four years getting high with friends, you can do that, too. UVM is big enough that you can probably find a niche. P.S. The demographics are overwhelmingly white. That's probably obvious, but just saying.

Andrew

UVM is a great close-knit community with plenty to do. Whether it be the environment, sports, the arts, politics, or something else, there are clubs to join and people to talk to. There is a thorough mix of academic types, introverts, and partiers. Ultimately, UVM is a place where you make your experience and there are few obligations. That said, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved and curate your own experience. People are generally friendly and living up the hill from Burlington is definitely a perk since there is plenty of food, shopping, and lake to explore. Expect many to be from small Vermont towns but also many from other states. UVM has prioritized diversity and so they are looking for foreign and out of state students.

Tyme

It is a great college with a great atmosphere. The students are all really nice and always willing to help or even just hold the door. The professors are all nice however some professors like those in the physics department have very uningaging lectures that basically read word for word the book. However classes within my engineering major are very inventive and full of great knowledge.

Jean

UVM is a good school. That being said, most of the buildings are crappy, the food can be a little icky at times and academics sometimes aren't as emphasized by the administration as they should be. Still UVM is an interesting place, you will find your niche in this large school as long as you are open minded and not afraid to bug some people to get help if you need it.

Jordyn

The University of Vermont has a very promising Education program which is why it makes it the best place for me. I believe that they can work on their on campus housing and the on campus food. It is definitely not appetizing at times. Other than those simple tasks, the University of Vermont is an amazing university that an individual would be very lucky to attend.

Yi

It is a good school if you are looking for parties ,sex and drugs. I don't like the learning environment,students seem do not care about their grade. Safe city because it basically have nothing. Not job opportunities and dis-connect with outside world. I am an international student and really disappointed that UVM students have zero knowledge of the outside world. I transferred to Northeastern university and feel much better. Better student's quality and better learning environment.

Olivia

Overall, this school and Burlington felt like home. I was very fortunate to be a student here. I even had the opportunity to start a club that is still thriving. Also, with the help of the Peace Corps recruiter on campus, I was able to fulfill my dream and join the Peace Corps.

Tanner

I love my school. I know a ton of people and even though it is a big school, we are one big community. I know people from every corner of UVM and I am thankful for the diversity and mixture of people at UVM. The professors are great and the students are even greater.

Grace

I love UVM! I wish that there was less construction going on, and more opportunities to explore majors before deciding on one. Gen ed requirements are specific to colleges within the university, so if you decide on a major in a different college, many of your credits do not transfer.

Leo

UVM is a very large school so it's easy to find your Niche. While racism diversity could be improved upon, people are for the most part open about where you come from and what your background is. Everyone is pretty accepting. While it does have the reputation of being a "party school" or "weed smoking" school, I have found this reputation to be unfounded. Yes people smoke wee and party yet it is a state school and it's no more prevalent than you would see at any other college. Opportunities are easy to find if you want, although if you don't want to drink there are tons of activities to do in terms of events or extracurricular s. There is a small greek life yet no one is looked down upon if they do not join as it makes up a very small percentage of campus life. Academics are extremely strong especially if you are in STEM. The majority of the campus is in some sort of science related field. There has been criticism for the resources which go into the arts and humanities though as the University strives to expand upon its research. Introductory classes are enormous, except to see 250 people max. However, don't let this intimate you from reaching out to your professor if needed, if you introduce yourself early and come to their office hours for help, you will stand out.

I went to University of Vermont this summer and took organic chem as a post-bac. I loved my professor and I loved the other students in the post-bac programs. There were plenty of places on campus to study and have some down time. Beautiful outdoor space. I am happy to call Burlington my home as it is a great place to live, work and learn.

I am so glad that I decided to come to the University of Vermont. I currently live in the brand new dorm that just opened this past year, and EVERY BATHROOM IS SINGLE. There are NO communal bathrooms in my dorm. There is even a laundry room on every floor. Our dining hall has a station where you can make your own food (It's really good) so that you actually know how to cook for yourself when you leave college. Although there are a lot of parties on campus, it is also quite easy to stay away from them, if they're not your thing. There are also a large range of clubs to choose from, and there is literally always something going on around campus (sometimes, there is late night cookie delivery or grilled cheese delivery to the dorms until like 2 in the morning. It's amazing). Although this school is definitely expensive, it was SO worth the extra money. I talk to people from home who go to other colleges, and they have absolutely nothing on the experience that I have here.

Veronica

I think it’s a very nice campus and it has a good atmosphere, however I don’t think it’s the perfect fit for me. I’ve heard numerous complaints from other students regarding food and housing. Academics, however are a part of this university that I appreciate and enjoy. They have very good programs and plenty of provided help outside the classroom. It’s overall a reasonable experience.

Kahlia

I love the school, great academics and campus life. The students are extremely dedicated to what they believe in, and they are not afraid to have fun. Not only are the academics outstanding, but we have a large variety of classes and majors. We are also surrounded by the beautiful wilderness which we are encouraged to enjoy.

Hanz

The University of Vermont is overwhelmingly accepting of all students, regardless of physical or mental differences. The better food options can be quite limited and overpriced, and the dining halls are extremely inconsistent with quality. Housing can be good or bad, depending on your luck and the people around you, and off-campus housing can be hard to come by and very expensive as Burlington is a college town. Despite this, professors at the University of Vermont truly care and want you to succeed, and its easy to get involved with clubs or activities on campus, as the Greek life community is relatively small and does not monopolize things to do. The winters can be cold and unforgiving, but campus is absolutely beautiful, and the location between Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains is perfect for anyone wanting to get outside and be more connected to the natural world. I love most everything the University of Vermont and the community based around it have to offer, and I truly cannot imagine attending college anywhere else.

Anthony

This school is great, there is a lot to do with a wide diversity in students. There isn't much conflict between groups of people but there much a diversity between those who have money and don't. If you want to attend this university one must come with an open mind.

Sonia

DO NOT GO HERE. Burlington is great and a wonderful place and the students are awesome but the faculty is slow as can be. It is beyond difficult to fix issues such as rooming problems, financial support, and other serious matters that need attention fast. This slow support impacts many students negatively. Financially, they will suck your money. I got charged $110 for a missing bedrail my second semester into a room I moved into.... what am I going to do with a bedrail!? I was furious and still have not gotten my money back despite transferring. I know of twenty plus people who transferred which is not an exaggeration. I don't believe this should be the typical for a "public ivy".

Khada

Great and hopeful

Katie

I love my school, I wish everybody could go here. The atmosphere is welcoming, energetic and accepting. The academics are challenging, but rewarding. I have met some of my best friends in the entire world here. My professors have helped not only through academic issues, but through personal as well. My advisers are attentive and the staff is always up to help you. I am extremely involved on campus because every organization is open for joining and all of the members are excited to have you on board.

Gregory

As an alumnus of UVM, I certainly regret not becoming more involved in the myriad of student life and extracurricular organizations. From the Student Government Association to the Outing Club and LGBT+ and other diversity-promoting and inclusive groups, UVM has something for everybody. The school is certainly strong in academics but I think that the draw of the university's location is enough to convince any prospective student to enroll. Burlington is an immensely tolerant community for all and it is nestled between Lake Champlain and the stunning Green Mountains. Though it is among the smallest of the state universities, I would say that it is the richest in terms of available experiences for students.

Alex

The University of Vermont has its own small city feel. Downtown, there is an abundance of shops and activities to do with the greater Champlain Lake area and then rural towns in the opposite direction. Montreal, Canada is just across the boarder to the north and the capital Montpelier is only 30 minutes away. to the south UVM's location is perfect for someone who wants to be close to home and have their own community feel at the same time. They have great resources withing and outside the campus area. They place academics and socialization as their priority while maintaining a professional attitude and a safe environment.

Isaiah

My overall opinion of University of Vermont is academically the school is a benefit for each and every student's future. It may not be the idol campus experience,but my future is destined to be positive once a Bachelor's degree is obtained here at this university.

Jake

This school just got named the #1 liberal school in the US- and it is somehow seen as some great defender of diversity. That is not reflective of the ideological and political spectrum here. There is a minimal to nonexistent conservative presence on campus, and many students I know are condescending if you do not agree with their views (i.e., you are conservative, or don't ascribe to leftist ideology). UVM is not diverse, either racially or ideologically. If you are looking for a place where your views will be challenged and debated, where you can have meaningful political and ideological discourse, UVM is not for you. They emphasize racial, sexual and religious diversity... but care little for ideological diversity (which is equally, if not more, important). People from all walks of life will be welcomed here... as long as their ideological beliefs align with the left wing. Personally, I have had professors who announce their liberal bias on the first day of class, and inform you that they will be teaching their class in line with their bias, not even making an attempt to be fair or objective... one of these classes was World Geography. Yes, even memorizing capitals and mountain ranges can be politicized at UVM. The party scene is adversely affected by the inflexible attitude of the school administration. When ~10,000 students between the ages of 18-21 live in an area of a few square miles, there WILL be drinking and partying- a reality that seems to be lost on the school. Currently, there is a large- scale war on Greek life at this school. They are demonized and defunded by the school, despite the fact that they contribute substantially to the philanthropic efforts of the student body, and make up less than 6% of the students. However, the administration seeks to paint their entire community as a monolithic bloc. The academics at this place are nonetheless good. I do not regret any classes I have taken thus far, and doubt I will regret obtaining my degree from this institution. That being said, the administration is divorced from reality when it comes to how much they can successfully legislate the morality of their students. I will not be donating as an alumnus, unless UVM desists from actively projecting a left wing bias upon the student body. Sometimes, I feel like I'm in a progressive social experiment, just by virtue of being a student here.

T

It has the cost and difficulty of a "public ivy", but lacks everything else. Horrible food, professors, dorm life and student support. Do not come to UVM unless you want to embrace the extreme liberal lifestyle, and prepared to be shamed and excluded if you do not.

Maria

In my opinion, this school is a place where the students can be whoever they want without having to worry about anything, especially about what others think. It has a lot of good things such as its environment that it provides to the faculty and students.

UVM is the perfect school for people from all walks of life. There is something for everyone here. Whether you love to ski, hike, bike, spend all day in the library, eat great food, and anything else, you will find it here. The people at UVM are so friendly and happy. UVM is a great school.

Dani

I absolutely love the University of Vermont! I can walk downtown in 15 minutes, and while walking I have a view of the lake, the mountains, and since I usually walk around dusk, the stunning sunset over the lake. Classes are interesting, and teachers are always willing to help you. The people are so nice and very quirky and outgoing. I immediately felt at home and I feel so lucky to go there!

Cassie

I love UVM! I love the mountains and the maple syrup, and I especially love Burlington. There is never a shortage of things to do, places to eat, or friendly faces. I love that it is such a liberal school, so get ready to be inspired to get involved. It is pretty expensive and being an engineering major has proven to be pretty challenging, but I believe it is all worth it!

Erin

Overall, I love the University of Vermont. I choose it because the first time I stepped on campus I felt at home and I haven't stopped feeling that way. Of course there are ups and downs to it. The food and dinning services could be better, they're not great with the snow removal all the time, and there's plenty of problems with housing and finding a job when you don't have work study. But then there's also professors who respond to your emails within an hour, I've found that my department if amazing and everyone in it is friendly (we threw a retirement party for my American Lit professor) and all the classes are engaging, even the ones you don't think will be, like Prehistoric Archaeology. I love my university, sometimes I hate it and can't wait to get off campus but its the area, the high quality education and the people there who keep me loving it.

Kai

The campus has a very nice setting with Church Street within walking distance. It also feels very safe to walk around at night with other safety features around campus. Burlington itself is a nice college town with very friendly people. The professors are helpful and available outside of classes.

Brooke

I really enjoy going to school at UVM. It was my top choice. The professors and students are very welcoming. Services and people at the school made my transition from high school to college much smoothers than I ever expected it to be. One of the best features of the school is the College of Education. It is a wonderful program to be involved in with caring professors and amazing educational opportunities.

Jesse

The University of Vermont most certainly has its ups and downs. While the school provides an active atmosphere and campus life for its students, the tuition, especially for out-of-state, is insanely high. The school provides excellent mental health services and are free to all students. The culture of the student body is incredibly welcoming at first glance. The student body is large enough to avoid anything you don't want, and immerse yourself in what you do want. There are many ways to have fun in the area, but applicants should be reminded that Burlington is the only large city for several miles, so you are very confined in your location. If you like skiing and the outdoors, you will enjoy the University of Vermont.

Gabrielle

I like UVM, it's not too big but not too small. There are plenty of opportunities for extracurriculars and clubs to get involved with. There are also many opportunities to get involved with research if you want to. The sports events are also fun to attend.

They like to promote that they have a large number of "politically active" students but when the students protest the nonsense that happens in the administration they take full offense. Overall that whole issue is stupid and the administration is full of overpaid hypocrites. No weed or tobacco allowed on campus, not to mention the Wellness Environment has totally ruined on campus life.