University of Virginia-Main Campus Top Questions

My classmates exhibit leadership in every aspect of their lives, are extremely intelligent, and the most driven college students I've ever met.

Jewel

My classmates are diverse, yet all similarly driven and competitive.

I am very happy with my following.

Very active people in every aspect.

Objectively, they may appear rather clone-like, but a meticulous eye reveals bright and radiant people determined to attain the absolute best pushed by their own desire.

Students here are hardworking, helpful and friendly but also extremely fair.

The University of Virginia's Class of 2016 is intelligent, diverse, and looking at very bright futures ahead.

Kaitlynn

Really depends on the class, but mostly open minded and caring about their studies.

I don't think there is any one type of person who would feel out of place here. There are all kinds of groups for different racial, religious, and political backgrounds. I think most people make friends with "different" people pretty easily, and it doesn't seem like the student body is segregated. I'm friends with people from all walks of life, and I think it has made my educational experience even richer.

UVa is an extremely diverse school. There are no students here, no matter race, gender, orientation, socio-economic status, that would feel out of place here. The students and staff are so accepting of one another. In addition, they are eager to learn about other cultures and promote diversity.There are no real cliques here. Everyone interacts with everyone. No matter who you are or where you come from, you are accepted here!

Nikita

There is a very diverse student population at UVA. I am always hearing about the different activities that different groups are doing on grounds. I am very tolerant as I attend discussions and panels for different groups. I feel that LGBT students feel most out of place at school as they are still looked down upon. However, there is a strong group at UVA to shelter such students. In my opinion, different types of students do interact such as MSA (Muslim Student Association) and ISA (Indian Student Association) students. Even though most students are from different parts of Virginia, I encounter many that are also either international or out of state students. Since many students are active participants in their learning and are seeking strong future careers, many do talk about earning a lot of money one day.

If you want a guide on how to fit the stereotype, order the following books from Amazon: The Preppy Handbook, How to Win Friends and Influence People. We power-network in bowties. And we do just about everything in bowties. I joke, though ties are common apparel, even in finals. Students are a balance of northern and southern culture: they appreciate southern tradition but live by NYC efficient and competitive work ethic. Many -- not all -- come from wealthy backgrounds and many -- not all -- are predominantly moderate conservatives, though fiscal views are far more conservative than social views. Students are well-spoken, put-together, and have a life plan. If you're not interested in doing something great with the talents and time you have, you won't find much support. Students genuinely want to engage the world politically and economically to leave their impact.

anumeha

My classmates were fantastic; they were intelligent, creative, fun, and motivated.

Marcus

Marcus

Diversity, as I mentioned before, is quite the hot topic on grounds (the campus). There are many organizations that cater to the interest of minority groups. For example I have been heavily involved in the LGBT community here as I’ve worked with different student run organizations and initiated forums and presentations that discuss plights and issues of LGBT students at U.Va. and in the nation. I’m also a peer advisor for the Office of African-American Affairs as a mentor to help incoming first-year (freshman) African-American students succeed in college. There are different avenues and opportunities for students to learn about the diversity here at U.Va. In general, minority related or not, most students at U.Va. are involved in something that is not strictly class related. There are many dance groups, Acapella groups, debate forums, cultural organizations, and student-administration groups. I’ve observed, over the past few, different cliques here. For example there’s the Greek life community. Or there’s an African-American and Latino community. However, even within the Latino community there’s the international students from Latin American who come from different backgrounds than Latino-Americans. There’s a high population of Asian students here too. Not even considering, race, ethnicity, and sexuality, sometimes students form cliques through their majors. For example students in the McIntire School of Commerce have similar groups of friends. One implication behind this is that there is a community here for most students when they come to U.Va. The other implication is that with such stratification, often times these groups seem isolated from each other. That is gradually changing from the different public forums and debates that bring students from different backgrounds but it is something that I’ve observed while studying here. However, many students are not engulfed in the clique culture and prefer just to meet fellow peers in the libraries, social events, clubs and bars, and other locations. Students here are really into sports and athletics. Students here go to the gym regularly, run around the campus, or are on an intramural or school sports teams. Staying in shape and healthy is a value that I noticed many students here have. I know when I first came here I ran around the campus all the time or went to the gym. It’s nice because it’s something that’s highly encouraged and a great way to meet friends. Students here really like to engage in discourse, which I absolutely love about U.Va. This university seems quite politically charged, meaning many students talks about politics and an array of other topics. It encourages students to stay updated on current events, which I personally think is a good.

My classmates are very school-oriented. They dedicate a lot of their time to studying but also manage to volunteer in community service activities and sports. They are very engaging and diverse in their views and ethnicities.

Students here are great. We study hard, but know how to have fun when the time is right. There's all different types of pockets at this school, so I can't but an adjective on our student body as a whole. Every demographic of people is included in our student body whether that's being religious, ethnic, preppy, athletic, artsy...everything. Also everyone at this school is out to help each other, and no one is out to spite another person. Yes there is a competitive edge here, and students want to succeed, but to gain this at the loss of another student is unheard of here.

There is a lot of acceptance at UVa. I personally was part of the Queer-Student Union last year, and loved my experience. There is a huge stress on separation of church and University, as Mr. Jefferson wanted a secular academic environment when he founded UVa. If there were four tables of students in the dining hall, I'd say there'd definitely be a table of male athletes. They usually eat together (though they have their own dining hall so I doubt they'd be mingling!). There'd also be a table of Asian students with computers, a table of mixed people all doing their own business, and a table of sorority girls planning an event or something. Most people at UVa do come from higher end backgrounds and have a bit of money, but there are a lot of middle-class people as well. Politically and religiously, the students are mixed. I have friends of many different religions and political backgrounds. As I study Arabic, a great deal of my friends are Muslim, but I also have Catholic, Hindu, and atheist friends as well. Some of my friends are staunchly conservative, some are staunchly liberal. Especially given the split nature of Virginia (liberal north, conservative south), there is a great deal of variability in terms of personal views, whether religious or political.

The students at UVa are great. There is just about any different group of kids one can think of at the University. UVa constantly reminds the students of the diversity of the UVa community, and works hard to respect all different types of people. Being a state university there are a lot of kids form Virginia, but there is also a significant portion of out-of-state students and international students. It is really hard for one to feel out of place at UVa because of hundreds of different organizations one can get involved in at UVa. Anyone could find a group of kids that they can relate to, and if they don't find a group or organization they can start one if they can gain enough support. The typical dress at UVa could be described as preppy. Collared shirts and sun dresses are the stereotypical UVa attire, however there is just about every other type of stereotypical attire as well (goth, jock, hipster, etc.).

I have met some amazing people here at UVA. I've interacted mainly with the people in my groups and major area. Students range from wearing North Faces to sweat pants, tennis shoes to boots and blouses to t-shirts so you get a little bit of everything. I have found my classes to be very diverse. The people that I have had in my class were really helpful and positive which as nice!

The student population is much more diverse than most, if not all, of the other universities in Virginia. With that being said, the majority are white, and after whites there is a very large and dominant Asian population at UVa. The athletes are somewhat their own group and stick out from the rest of the student body, but are also very fun to hang out with. Unfortunately, not many different groups of students interact with each other unless a special effort is made. Racial groups tend to stick with themselves, although there are many examples of racial/cultural mixing. There are some wealthy students at UVA (most of whom are from NOVA), but most of the student body would consider themselves middle class. Like most universities and colleges, students lean towards the policial left, but there is a strong conservative body at UVA, mainly comprised of the out of state/ROVA (rest of VA) students.

UVA students tend to be highly motivated and talented. If you are not competitive or stand up to a lot of pressure well, UVA may not be a good fit. Most students wear normal clothing such as jeans and a shirt to class. Although there is a heavy spattering of guys in collared shirts, khaki pants, and backwards hats and girls who look like they just got off the fashion runway. The vast majority of UVA students are from Northern Virginia and Virginia Beach, so much so that you will become tired of meeting people from these areas and crave other regional interactions, which given a little effort abound. Most UVa students are extremely well off financially and unless you are an engineer or commerce school student you don't discuss how much money you plan on making.

They are fun and energetic, but also very focused on studies and maintaining high levels of achievement.

Nikita

Jose

Overall, I really like the students here. Students dress for success (preppy designer clothes are common). It's really nice because it shows that the students really actually care. A student who would feel out of place would be someone who follows the punk/emo subculture. A lot of the students tend to come from Northern Virginia, and the wealth from that area definitely shows. In the political realm, there are many conservative and liberal students. It's definitely a good place to debate politics considering the variety of beliefs here. For the most part, the students tend to be friendly and outgoing. They also study a lot and work hard, but like to party and have fun on the weekends.

Although many students fit the rich and preppy stereotype, there are all different types of people here. Last year I lived in Brown College, an entire dorm of about 300 students promoting a "socially accepting academic community." Brown is a great place for those not interested in joining Greek organizations that just want to be unique. As a resident in Brown I met all different types of people. There is also an International Residence College that hosts students from all over the world. UVA may hold true to its stereotype, however, there is room for everyone here.

One of the many amazing thing about UVa is, everyone fits in there! I know that you're probably thinking that can't be true, but there is something there for literally everyone. There are so many different majors that limited options is never an issue. Also, there are so many different clubs, from the outdoors club to the fencing club, the salsa dancing club, the knitting club, and clubs led by a certain political and religious group, that everyone will be able to find something fun to do. The students at UVa are so nice and very helpful. There are students off all races, socio-economic backgrounds, religions, political views, and sexual orientations. The students come from all over the world, from Ireland, to New Zealand, and all across the United States. There are always groups of friends that sit together in the dining halls and that are seen together around Grounds, but they are people from all different lifestyles sitting in the dining hall laughing and having a great time. Also, the students wear pretty much anything to class. You can be walking to class one day and see a girl in a summer dress and boots, a guy in a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, someone else wearing pajamas, and another person wearing sweatpants and a hoodie. I think the only type of clothing you would look out of place wearing around Grounds is a tuxedo or a prom dress but, if you did that, most people wouldn't look at you twice because they would assume a special occasion is occurring later. UVa is great and I think there really is a place there for everyone.

Smart, outgoing, friendly individuals. Mostly. There are a few bad eggs at every school but for the most part UVA students are legit. I was a part of the Greek crowd and I felt pretty accepted everywhere. Some fraternity rivalries get pretty intense but thats about it

Ajamu

Well I recently took Multicultural education 5000, so I have had great and positive experiences with all races, religions, sexual orientations, minorities, and people of all walks of life. To be honest there is always groups on grounds to join that might fit your interest. I would say that people who love the urban feel of life or love the city and couldn’t be anywhere else might fell out of place, and maybe some minorities, especially if there are only use to being with their preferred groups, but as I say it’s better to go out of your comfort zone. Most students wear Khakis, Polo’s, button downs, Sperry’s, etc. Yet some dress however they feel to express themselves. All different types of students interact, and there really aren’t the stereotyping groupings at the lunch tables, it’s a mix of people. You have your athletes, but you also have athletes and frat boys, or may have people who love academia, but also know a lot of athletes or frat bros. Most of the students are from Virginia/D.C. All kinds of financial backgrounds to be honest, but majority are middle class or upper middle class, Students are very politically aware ,one of my friends and a couple of students at UVA are campaigning for the 2012 election. Most students are predominately Democratic. Also about half of students talk about how much they would like to make or are going to make working at this firm or this company.

Joel

The students at my school are like almost anywhere. There is a variety of students and some are great and some are awful. No type of student would really feel out of place because its such a big school that you can find people just like you if you choose to. In the business school most students wear jeans and t-shirts for men and I wouldn't know what women's clothes are called, but it tends to be preppy. Different types of students do interact because its part of the culture at the school. Most people here tend to come from wealthier areas, but there are plenty of people in worse financial situations here as well. Most of the students are from Virginia, of course. Most students tend to be liberal as well, but that's to be expected. Students do not tend to talk about how much they'll earn because in the business school we already know what everyone stands to make.

Juliana

It is a very diverse community. You will experience the diversity as much as you want to. i am part of the Latino community and also have many American friends so int his sense I get the best of these worlds. I also work closely with the LGTB and so have gotten to know this community very well. At UVA you will get all kinds of people who will try to conserve their traditions and so there will be many activities and events that showcase the traditions and ideals of groups.

Every student is willing to help each other, and are always friendly. The students are really a great group of people, easy to be around, and always having a good time.

Virginia students are mostly from Northern Virginia. They are kids with very good extracurricular activities coming in and have often been leaders in their own personal background. The international students are often very similar. International students come from all over the world, loads from Asia, but there is a good strong population from Latin America and Eastern Europe. To tell you the truth... Hoos like to dress well, we are proud of wearing sun dresses and looking at the latest fashion. Girls often use purses instead of backpack and guys are not afraid to wear ties for 3 days in a row... so prepare to be well dressed.

There are a lot of different people at UVa, although at first glance we can seem like a very homogeneous school. There is a strong LGBT movement on grounds and it is widely supported. There are a lot of "Safe Space" stickers decorating doorways. There are also a lot of international students here, so there's a lot of diversity that way too. I would have to say that a lot of the kids here are probably in a fairly high tax bracket, or at least make it look that way, though UVa does have very generous financial aid programs (Access UVa) which make it possible for people from any socio-economic to attend the school. In class, most students are rather dressed up. Sweat pants are seldom seen and expensive clothes, shoes and sun glasses are prevalent. Of course, sometimes it's hard to tell. I dress nicely for class and probably look like most other people, but I don't have a pair of Ray Bans or a nice car (read any car). Either way, it doesn't matter. No one is really going to look down on you for how much (or how little) money you have. The biggest problem I see with diversity at UVa is how people here self segregate, especially racially. While I think that people here are willing to engage with people of different races, ethnicities, and backgrounds, sometimes it doesn't seem like there is much opportunity to do that. I don't know why that is. Perhaps because there are so many different clubs here (Black Student Union, Asian Student Union, LGBT activism group, Young Democrats, Young Republicans, etc.) that people just tend to meet and make friends with people more like themselves. Whatever the reason behind it, it's a major problem that needs to be addressed. Students here are politically active and not afraid to express their views (though I'm in poly sci... so perhaps it's more prevalent here than in other majors). There are people from both sides of the political spectrum, but I would say that the left-center is the most common viewpoint.

Iris

UVa students are generally very tolerant and diverse. There are various very good LGBT groups here on campus--the Queer Student Union and the Queer and Allied Activism group. There is also an LGBT resource center that is generally just for education. There are many clubs and different kinds of people so I feel like most students would feel at home here. Although the university is more geared towards people who do not really fit exactly into a specific group, but that are open minded and more general. Most students dress nicely for class but also wear sweat pants. Different types of students do interact I think because the school is so diverse. Most of the students are from Northern Virginia and are well off, but there are definitely also people from different socioeconomic statuses and different places. UVA is such a rich university that even if you are a student who is not well off you can feel just as well off as everyone else. Students here are very politically active and are more left and center leaning. Students are also not very concerned about future finances. It's very open and rewarding and accepting.

I believe that there is a big mix of students at UVA. There are a lot of students from Asia, but I talked to other friends from around the country and I guess there are many there too. In regards to LGBT, some professors and RAs here have signs on their windows saying they support LGBT and are there to talk to LGBTstudents. To class, people wear whatever they want. I've seen people wear sweats and I've seen those that wear sweats everyday. It all depends on their personality. I would say that people that differ in personalities all interact. UVA is a close community. Differences in people who hang out are not really prominent. There are lots of people who are from Northern VA, but also many others from out of state. Many people have a bit of money, but there are still those who do not have as much.

Your classmates will (typically) be some of the smartest people you have ever met and are very dedicated and determined, but they love to have fun and most of them have incredible school spirit.

Brielle

UVa has a plethora of all different personality types, ethnicities, and socioeconomic backgrounds, creating the ideal social space for just about every type of temperment.

Dolores

Warm, well-rounded individuals.

The people at UVa are the most interesting and intelligent individuals you will meet in your life. Since UVa draws its students from all over the world and the country, I have the ability to learn about the world just by talking to the people in my classes and clubs. My roommate first year was from Turkey, one of the girls in my apartment second year was from Guatemala and I have friends and acquaintances who hail from places like England and India. The people here are really, really committed to their friends, activities and causes.

Fortuna

My classmates are open-minded, driven, sensitive to social issues and especially tolerant towards diversity.

My classmates at UVA are smart, independent, friendly and very driven.

Tania

My classmates are usually among the most ambitious people I have ever come across in my life.

Jooyong

Smart, beautiful, diversed, interesting, diligent, international, hardworking and friendly people.

Ithi

During classtime, I am surrounded by students who are here solely for knowledge and excellence, not success in the form of grades, while also acknowleding that their competitive edge gives me motivation to achieve and accomplish even better.

Denieka

My classmates are friendly, intelligent, and very willing to help you with any difficulties you may have in the class.

Cara

My classmates are mostly from upper middle class families or they are minorities, and most are very well prepared for college although they do not seem to be the most creative types.

My classmates at The University of Virginia are driven, intelligent, diligent, organized, focused, goal-oriented, trustworthy, honorable, leaders, and make me proud to say that I am lucky enough to be one of their peers.