University of Virginia-Main Campus Top Questions

Homer

Being a non-traditional student of 63 years of age...almost 3 times older that most of the students at the university...I am kind of removed from a lot of the student activities and groups.

endorsements

There are tons of great clubs and activities at UVA! Greek life is absolutely booming and present, about 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the UVA population is involved in Greek Life. Other popular groups are groups such as Vietnamese Student Association, Chinese Student Association, Korean Student Association, and other ethnical groups that raise awareness. There are also a number of religious groups for Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, etc. For those that are interested in sports, there are also club teams for almost every sport and also tons of opportunities to play in Intramural Leagues! Weekends are filled with parties, sporting events, workshops, and more! There's always something to do at UVA since there is free public transportation and nearby malls, stores and soforth!

Dante

.

Dante

The most popular groups on campus are Greek institutions, University Program Council, and Acapella Groups. I'm involved with the business fraternity, First-year council, and International relations organization. Students are open in their halls. Athletic events are free and very popular, guest speakers are frequent and engaging, and Theater is popular and respected. The dating scene is very active whether through CIO's or nightlife. I met my closest friends in my suite. 2:00 AM on a Tuesday I'm either at Qdoba eating a Taco with my friends, asleep, or studying. Traditions and events include lighting of the lawn, fox field, mid-summers, beach week, and block party. While many students party, many do not. Fraternities/Sororities are very vocal but only make up 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body. Last weekend I went to a restaurant for a date, rummaged the corner, and met many business fraternity brothers. Off campus, I like to hike and fish.

Because of UVA's academic reputation, the school attracts a wide variety of students. Many are involved with Greek life, the arts, social awareness groups, and a plethora of other interest groups. Every week there is something new to do, like guest speakers on developing nations, dance troupe performances, sporting events, paint wars, and any imaginable activity. Although people do drink here, and there is always a party to go to, there is always something to do besides drink. Most restaurants on the Corner are open for late night hangouts with your friends, and you can always go hang out on the lawn with a frisbee! Some of my best memories from my first year involve goofing off with my friends around Grounds, and I didn't drink at all my first year. I never felt pressured to drink or do anything I didn't want to, and I think that is true for most people. Most people drink, but no one cares if you choose not to, so there is no pressure!

UVa has so many opportunities to get involved! Greek life and service are probably the two most popular student activities, although with over 100 different CIOS, UVa students are involved in everything!

Nikita

The most popular organizations on grounds include ISA and MSA, which are religious organizations. They do many cultural events that bring together UVA. Also, the University Student Council is very active in getting students involved. Athletic events, especially football games are very popular at UVA. Games bring together faculty, students and even parents and other family members. Some traditions that happen every year include the Lighting of the Lawn and also the 4th year 5th where 4th year students try to drink a fifth of alcohol on the last home football game. In my opinion, a good amount of people party on weekdays such as Thursdays. At this school, the social life is a big concern. Due to this reason, fraternities and sororities are very popular. Personally, I can go to a friend's dorm and watch a movie with her or just watch tv in my own room.

Athletics (especially Football and Basketball) are extremely popular, but a lot of arts related groups and programs are also very popular. Personally, I am a member of First Year Players, a theatre organization that allows first years to become part of the competitive drama scene through performace portions of the musicals the group puts on every semester, but also allows a wider group of people to set up the technical aspects and production. The organization is truly a huge family - we have multiple gatherings throughout the semester, we have our own email list-serv which we use to stay continuously connected, and it allows a great chance to get to know people you may have never met otherwise. Dorms are also a great chance to get to know new people - especially in hall styles where you have a roommate and a greater group of people to interact with. Greek life is definitely represented, but it's not essential to participate in unless you truly want to. You can definitely have a social life without becoming Greek, but the system is also a great way to have a fabulous friendships and create great social interactions. Partying definitely occurs nearly every weekend, just like every traditional college experience, but if that isn't your thing, there are many more activities to participate in - theatre shows, University events (including movie nights, guest speakers, concerts, and workshops), exploring Charlottesville, and other activities such as bowling, shopping, and museums.

Marcus

The organizations and student groups are one of my favorites parts of U.Va., because there are so many! There are organizations for politics, for cooking and for outdoor adventures. There are intramural sport teams, dance teams, and organizations that cater to more cultural interests. There are also religious groups. U.Va. creates mini-communities through these groups. To many peoples’ surprise the dormitories also create mini-communities. In the International Residence Hall, which is an on-campus housing for both international and American students, they have different game nights and weekly activities that the residents and general public can participate. Dancing and performance art are really big here at U.Va. Although U.Va. isn’t heavily known as a university of such, there are many opportunities to perform. Students here have a way of surprising you because they are involved in activities that one wouldn’t expect. For example I know many student who study in the Engineering School and are also involved in performance arts groups. That may seem a bit unusual to some, but it’s quite normal here. There are about twelve categories of student organizations here. I lose count of the dance groups because there are so many. It is hard to say which ones are the most popular because the dance groups cater to different types of communities. For example the Step Team here attracts a more urban and African-American audience, while the Salsa Club, attracts students from all over the campus because they do more fusion music and dance. The Latino Student Association puts on dance performances; along with the Indian Student Association and the Organization of African Students that both perform multiple times a year. The list goes.

Marcus

The organizations and student groups are one of my favorites parts of U.Va.; because there are so many! There are organizations for politics, for cooking and for outdoor adventures. There are intramural sport teams, dance teams, and organizations that cater to more cultural interests. There are also religious groups. U.Va. creates mini-communities through these groups. To many peoples’ surprise the dormitories also create mini-communities. In the International Residence Hall, which is an on-campus housing for both international and American students, they have different game nights and weekly activities that the residents and general public can participate. Dancing and performance art are really big here at U.Va. Although U.Va. isn’t heavily known as a university of such, there are many opportunities to perform. Students here have a way of surprising you because they are involved in activities that one wouldn’t expect. For example I know many student who study in the Engineering School and are also involved in performance arts groups. That may seem a bit unusual to some, but it’s quite normal here. There are about twelve categories of student organizations here. I lose count of the dance groups because there are so many. It is hard to say which ones are the most popular because the dance groups cater to different types of communities. For example the Step Team here attracts a more urban and African-American audience, while the Salsa Club, attracts students from all over the campus because they do more fusion music and dance. The Latino Student Association puts on dance performances; along with the Indian Student Association and the Organization of African Students that both perform multiple times a year. The list goes. Speaking of dormitories I’ve already alluded to the cultural impacts they have on grounds. Often times, dorms cater to certain kinds interests of students. For example I live in the Spanish Language House (La Casa Bolívar), which is a dormitory that requires that its residents speak in Spanish while in the common areas. We have weekly dinners that are open to all students from around the campus to come eat with us, while improving their Spanish. This kind of setting caters to students who really value foreign languages and want to improve their language skills. Many of the dorms celebrate particular characteristics and interests of students by providing a space in which they can utilize them. Since being here at U.Va. I’ve been involved various student organizations. One of them has been the Organization of African Students as a dancer at their annual Africa Day event, and for the Culturefest! which is a weekend for freshman and their parents to explore U.Va. An important question that many prospect students have asked me is: What do you students do on the weekends? This is a fun question to answer. The students here are very active and there are events happening on campus all the time. The weekends are never boring because outside of the abundance of student events, the City of Charlottesville also has activities for students to do. For students that are old enough to enter the bars, there are sets of bars with dance floors with DJ’s that play pop/modern music, they are located on The Corner, which is walking distance from the main campus. Speaking of music, very often we have celebrities come to Charlottesville and perform in John Paul Jones Arena (JPJ). There’s also the Downtown, which is one of Charlottesville’s oldest centers and it has an array of restaurants, cafes, movie theaters, ice stores, etc. These are just a few, of the many endeavors U.Va. students embark on for weekend adventures. What’s great about these is that they are, most of the time, free so it doesn’t hurt students’ pockets.

Marcus

The most popular groups/organizations are definitely those that are Greek life affiliated or involving some type of service. I am involved with the Adopt-A-Grandparent program through the volunteer organization Madison House. I serve as a program director as well as visit one of the grandmothers at a local nursing home once a week. Athletic events are generally popular but there is definitely less of a fever around them compared to other schools. Greek life is very dominant at UVA, around 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} are Greek, which controls most of the party scene. Since UVA is in the city of Charlottesville, there are plenty of events and things to do off campus in an extremely welcoming community.

Greek life is huge at UVa. Approximately 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the undergraduate population is in a fraternity or sorority. However, there are hundreds of other organizations to get involved in as well. UVa is a Divison I NCAA school and has many different varsity teams, but in addition to those varsity teams there are club teams that students can try out for. Furthermore, there are hundreds of organizations beyond sports. There are different educational organizations, political organizations, art organizations, and much more. The University is very open and accesible due to the honor code at UVa. All students at the University are bound by the Honor Code and if they are found to have broken it they can face expulsion. The University prides itself and student ownership and leadership in different organizations. They really want the students to be the ones in charge of their futures, which is great.

I'm a member of UVA's Club Tennis and we literally have over a hundred people try out for the team so Club Tennis is definitely popular. I'm a member of UNICEF, Autism Speaks and Pause for Paws and those are relatively large groups as well. A lot of organizations do fundraising events with the big one being one that is centered on Halloween and you have people from the Charlottesville community come to the Lawn and engage wit hthe students. Lots of groups have their own parties which you can see if you're walking on 14th street, Emmet Street or somewhere on JPJ. We have a shopping center called Barracks which is just a short while away from campus. There's a Harris Teeter, Ulta, Bed Bath and Beyond and some others. If you take one of the CAT buses which are free if you have a University ID, you can go to a shopping center that has Belk, Marshalls, Victoria's Secret and some others. The weekends are a perfect time to make a trip with your friends.

At UVa, Greek life is big. 30-40 percent of the student body participates. Other popular groups are club sports, philanthropic organizations, tour guides, and a capella.

One of the very popular things I've found at UVA is the music scene. I have many friends that play in the marching band, sing in an a capella group, or play in the orchestra. I, for example, am a member of the orchestra and it has allowed me to meet many new people I would of otherwise have never seen. On home football weekends, tailgating and going to the game is a very popular and fun thing to do. Fraternities play a fairly large part in the social scene at UVA. About 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of men and 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of women are a member of a fraternity/sorority. Every weekend, there are several fraternity parties going on and the party scene is definitely a large part of many students lives. Parties are limited to Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and are virtually non-existent during finals week. Not all students go out, however, and there are other options available besides partying. The downtown mall is a very popular place to head to go to, where there are probably a hundred different shops/restaurants.

Nikita

The most popular organizations on grounds include ISA and MSA, which are religious organizations. They do many cultural events that bring together UVA. Also, the University Student Council is very active in getting students involved. Athletic events, especially football games are very popular at UVA. Games bring together faculty, students and even parents and other family members. I am personally not sure about the dating scene as I do not go out much. If I were awake at 2am on a Tuesday it would either me watching a tv show in my dorm room or studying for a test the next day. Some traditions that happen every year include the Lighting of the Lawn and also the 4th year 5th where 4th year students try to drink a fifth of alcohol on the last home football game. In my opinion, a good amount of people party on weekdays such as Thursdays. At this school, the social life is a big concern. Due to this reason, fraternities and sororities are very popular. Personally, I can go to a friend's dorm and watch a movie with her or just watch tv in my own room.

The most popular groups here are probably the student run clubs and of course, Greek organizations. One organization I am involved in is called Madison House. It is a volunteer program offering about 20 different programs on grounds and in the Charlottesville are. My program is called Big sib Little sib. Students have the opportunity to get a "little sib" from an elementary or middle school in Charlottesville. We meet with our little sib once a week for three hours and it is a great way to help improve a child's life who may come from a lower income home. I have really enjoyed this program. A great thing about this school is the hundreds of different clubs and activities offered every year. At the beginning of each semester, there is an activities fair where all the organizations go and students can browse to see which groups interest them. The activities fair is always exciting, especially for new first year students who are nervous about meeting people and fitting in at school.

There are so many fun activities to do at UVa, it's mind-blowing! Clubs and teams are a big part of the student life at UVa. Football games are a great way to spend time with friends and, even if you don't like sports, it's always fun to take in the sights and, my personal favorite, watch the UVa marching band. Clubs are also very popular at UVa. Two of the most prominent groups are the Washington Society and the Jefferson Society. They are both literary and debating societies and are very popular on Grounds. I am going to school to be a journalist so, of course, I found a club that caters to that interest of mine. It's called wuvaonline. It's a student run website and we cover events that are happening around Grounds, as well as prominent national stories. There are a lot of speakers that come to UVa, and they speak on every subject you could think of. The Greek life is a big part of the social life at UVa, and the students do have a tendency to party quite a bit, but that's not nearly all that there is to UVa. I've only been to a few parties since I've been at UVa, but I've still had a blast without doing the party scene every weekend. A lot of times I will just get together with a bunch of friends and we'll hang out, one of us will fix dinner, or we'll order take-out, and we'll watch a movie. My best friend and I also love to go to Fashion Square, the mall, where we can spend hours. There is also a listserve you can join to get e-mails from and organization called "Hoos-Sober" and they'll send out an e-mail every week about non-alcoholic events going on, and there are about a half dozen events and activities going on every day. Adjusting to life at UVa can be hard, so make sure you leave your door open. People will come in from the hall for a few minutes just to say hi and see how you're doing, and it's a great way to meet and get to know the people that you live with.

Fraternities and Sororities were really big so I kinda ignored everything else. The club sports teams, the acapella groups, and the theater groups also got some attention

Ajamu

Most popular organizations or clubs are clubs at the McIntire School of Commerce, and each Year’s councils. Also UPC (University Programs Council) this is the council which puts events together like the past concerts of B.O.B, Lady Gaga, David Matthews, and many many others. The most popular sports teams are swimming, lacrosse, football, basketball, soccer, baseball, and track. A group I am involved with now is SIFE (Student In Free Enterprise) and recently I helped a project where we went to the local homeless shelter and helped the poor and less privilege with editing and creating their resumes for future jobs so that they can get back on their feet. Students in all the dorms leave their doors open to talk to others and just to have that college feel, but in some doors some of the doors aren’t open hall style. Athletic events are very popular, but also there really isn’t much pressure to attend either, but most go. Also guest speakers are always on ground, as for theater it’s not as popular but many do go to theater related events. The dating scene is alright, more people are trying to experience the best time of their life rather than dating. If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday you are studying, doing homework, watching TV shows, or relaxing. I met my closest friend by living in a residential dorm, and we usually had breakfast, lunch and dinner together and went out together. Well there is this event called lighting of the lawn which is probably the biggest and most beautiful event ever. The Rotunda gets decorated with Christmas lights and there is apple cider hot chocolate and many pastries and acapella groups signing, it’s pretty cool. People either party once or twice a week on average. Fraternity and sorority rushing periods are pretty big around here, but is about half of the student body not all. Last weekend I stayed in and study/watched movies with friends. To have fun without drinking you can always go to a party and dance and not drink. Drinking here is never pressured on people, which is surprising but tells you a little bit about our character. You can also relax in the biggest hot tub on the east coast, I do that sometimes. Off campus you can go eat at restaurants, go to bars if your over 21,or hang out with friends at their apartments off grounds.

Joel

I'm not sure what the most popular student groups are because there are just so many of them. I have been a part of many different clubs including a ballroom dance club. Some students leave their doors open, while others do not, but there is a tendency to move off grounds after your first year. Athletic events tend to be very popular. Guest speakers come to the school and are popular within their category (i.e. Richard Dawkins attracted science students and athiests). There are always events going on with different groups trying to get you to attend their event, whether it be signing or improv comedy. I met my closest friends by either living with them or through clubs I've been a part of. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am generally hanging out in my apartment. People tend to party on many weekends, though most people do not party every weekend. Frats and sororities are important only to those who are a part of them and though there are a lot of them it is possible to avoid them completely. Last weekend I attended various house parties with my friends. On a Saturday night there are plenty of people to hang out with in non drinking environments. Off campus there are bars and movie theaters to go to.

Juliana

Joining Greek life is very common. Going to football games. Joining clubs that benefit your heritage in some way shape or form. For example, many Hispanic people join clubs that do charity work with Hispanic communities. People love to go out here on weekends but there are many kinds of activities that do not necessarily involve going to bars or parties. There are concerts, dinners, charity events etc.

One of the most honorable student involvement is becoming part of the Honor System. An organization that deals with students who have broken the honor system. You will get to decide and investigate the cases as if you where a lawyer. If you like more social clubs... there are plenty, some of the most famous are the salsa club, pancakes for parkingson, any of the accapella groups or even the opera clubs... from sewing to dancing.. you will find your niche.

Iris

There are very many clubs/activities at UVA. I think the number is somewhere around 300. The most popular groups are probably the political groups although I'm not sure. I'm involved with Psychological Society. It basically comes up with events for Psych majors and socials. Students in dorms usually leave their doors open but there are always people that don't. Athletic events are very popular, especially football games. Guest speakers come all the time. For example, in the Psych department there are probably around 2-3 guest speakers per week. The dating scene is a little tough because all the guys are bro-y but it's okay because there are still good guys out there. I met the love of my life here. My closest friends I met just because I lived next door to them. But if you get involved in clubs, you can make friends there too! If I am awake at 2AM on a Tuesday, I am studying or hanging out with my boyfriend. People party a lot here, starting as early as Wednesday or Thursday. Frats and Sororities are big here. There are actually many events here though that you can attend that are non-alcoholic or for people who don't like parties. I am one of these and I find theatre shows and other activities to do!

Every one of my friends is involved in multiple organizations - IM and club sports are very popular, the several a capella groups are highly regarded around grounds, the debate/literary societies have a healthy rivalry, and almost every student I know is involved in some sort of service activity, be it Habitat for Humanity or tutoring local schoolchildren or any number of other service organizations. Tradition is a huge part of student life here; notably, most students go to the football games and several other athletic events throughout the year. I'm involved in a theater group that provides a sort of family for the first years involved; I'm also in a sorority and play a club sport, both of which have allowed me to make friends with students with diverse interests. The weekends are pretty big party scene, from Thursday through Saturday, but there are also a lot of other things to do around grounds and Charlottesville for those who do not like to go out or drink. The Downtown Mall is quaint and fun, and there are some really great hikes in the area for the outdoorsy types. Greek life only comprises 1/3 of the students; it is a very involved minority, but those not involved can still have a great social life, as they are the majority, both in terms of going out and day-to-day activities.

Beta Bridge is a bridge on Rugby Road that students frequently enjoy painting over in the middle of the night to voice something, such as an opinion, support for a team, or an event.

Peyton, a third-year, discusses her job at the AFC and her favorite aspects of the facility.

Reese

From my own experience here, student at UVA are really involved and there is a strong sense of community. I'm currently involved in numerous of activities that I could talk about for hours just because I love them! There is ALWAYS something to do here, which in some instances is very frustrating because there are never enough hours in the day to do them. And if you can find anything to do at the University, there is always Downtown Charlottesville, with tons of places to eat, shop and even watch a movie. If you are ever in the town, I highly recommend going to "The Flat", an excellent crepe place. I know coming to college, I was worried about the party scene and how was prevalent it was. If you do not like drinking, there are other activities to do. The university programs council puts together comedy and talent shows and even will show already released movies at the theater. This weekend, they are showing Dark Knight here. No one here will pressure you to go out. I know when I've told my friends that I had to spend my Friday night writing my paper, they have understood and not pushed me to go out. There is something for everyone here.

Jake

Statistics say that the Greek system accounts for about 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population. In my opinion, and definitely for first years, it dominates the social scene. There are definitely people who want nothing to do with it for various reasons and they of course find their own niche because there are plenty in that category. The UVA social scene is what you want to make it. There is enough diversity. However, I would strongly recommend going Greek because it opens up a lot of opportunities for you.

There is a lot of greek life, which can separate potential friends but brings together many more than it pulls apart. It is also perfectly acceptable to not go greek, in which case you meet friends in class, in dorms, at the gym, at work, in the library, in clubs, on coucils, playing sports, ... . There are great performances by a cappella groups, comedy clubs, other music and theatre, guest speakers, and presentations that you can find on any day of the week and most are very popular so your friends will want to go too.

I met my best friends because of too much candy. One night, as I was trying to get rid of an over-bountiful care package from home, there were some people I didn't know in the study lounge watching a movie on somebody's laptop. It turned out to be one of my favorite movies, so I asked if they wanted any candy and if I could join them -- a really bold and out-of-character move for me, but to my surprise they invited me right in and we had a great time. Now we're all really good friends, and I'm actually living with one of the girls next year! Just shows that sometimes being friendly is all you need to do to find friends!

Reed

I suppose this is where I should write about the Greek System. Yes it's important here, but only a third of the college is Greek. It doesn't have to run your life. However the reason it's important here is not neccessarily because you're not cool if you're not in one, but because the parties are so open to everybody, so that's what people do on the weekends. I talked to a friend from a different school, and he talked about how you wouldn't get into a fraternitities party if you weren't in the fraternity, and I was a little shocked. Someimtes it's hard to get in, but for the most part anyone can get into a party.

Emmerson

Students ALWAYS leave their doors open( the social ones anyway), so it is very easy to meet new people. There is always something to do at UVA. You can find campus events, private events, or events that you and your friends plan. There's always downtown, the corner, and barracks to visit and enjoy. Also, UVA doesn't have a huge party scene. Of course you can find parties thursday, friday, and saturday nights on rugby road but it's nothing compared to the parties in D.C.

Bobby

I'll be honest, UVA is a drinking campus. With such a strong Greek scene, many undergrads' weekends revolve around frats. If you can resist the lure of free beer and nonstop CCR, there's still plenty to do. People throw non-frat parties every weekend which are generally more fun and abounding with more interesting people. My weekends consisted largely of attending said parties with my friends, staying out late (or was it early by then?), and grabbing sandwiches from Little John's on the Corner before heading back in. There are nearby musical venues- the greatest of which, Satellite Ballroom, is facing closure, which is truly tragic, but others do exist. Plenty of restaurants cater to the poor college student, be they meat-and-potatoes diners or vegans. Of course, if you're still bored, you can indulge in some UVA traditions: streaking, steam tunneling, refrigerator tunneling (ask your upperclassmen), and climbing on top of structures you should not.

Greek life is a big part of some students' lives, but I never felt pressured to join a sorority or be involved with a fraternity. I think there is definitely an emphasis on study-- many students like to talk about how much time they spend in Clemons, the 24 hour library. Athletic events are very popular-- especially football and basketball, and I will say that as someone who doesn't really enjoy going to sporting events, the atmosphere at a UVA football game is something anyone sporty or not can appreciate. UVA is a typical university, there are parties and drinking, but there is plenty to do without drinking and clubs and organizations that work to provide plenty of opportunities minus the drinks. Charlottesville is nice because there is a lot of cultural events and organizations that provide concerts and festivals and things. Plus, only 2 hours drive from DC!

A Capella groups are hot. They're really good here. Join a student group and you'll make friends. I joined the Men's Crew team and instantly had about 25 friends, freshmen through seniors. GO TO FOOTBALL GAMES. Everybody does -- don't be that kid who doesn't. Some people party every night. However, Friday nights or Saturday nights are very common. Some kids go for the triple crown and go Thursday, Friday, Saturday just for fun.

Popular groups on grounds are, of course, the fraternities and sororities, musical organizations and dance teams. I'm involved with Black Voices, which is a gospel choir. They are like another family to me! 35 years strong and counting! I personally never leave my door unlocked when I'm gone, but a lot of people do. Theater and athletic events are incredibly popular events to go to, as well as guest speakers. In fact, Obama came to Charlottesville my first year. I didn't get to go, but I heard he was extraordinary. Obama '08!! I was blessed enough to have met all four of my closest friends on my hall. That does NOT happen often! If I was awake on Tuesday at 2am, I'd probably be doing school work or clowning around with my friends. People party EVERY weekend. Even when there's not a party, someone finds one, haha. Frats and sororities are pretty important. They all give back to our community, so it's important to support them from time to time. A fun Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking can involve going to an awesome party sober, or just hanging out on the corner or somewhere else on grounds. Off campus I volunteer and go out to eat.

Greek life is definitely a big part of the UVA social scene. I belong to a sorority, and spend a large chunk of my days and nights with my sorority sisters: I eat my meals there, lived there my third year, and crash on the couch after a night out. I know that there are many students who are involved in activities other than fraternities/sororities and are happy with that decision, but I feel that joining Tridelt completely changed my experience at UVA for the better.

Tina

Football is pretty big, the students really get into it. Go to a game at least once..The stadium is amazing!! Students are very involved in all kinds of different events.. Whatever you like, I'm sure you could find it at UVA (it's pretty diverse in activities, whether it involves sports, theater, writing, debate, academics, tons of random extracurriculars, etc ). If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, you're probably studying. People stay up all night, all the time studying (some libraries are open 24/7). Those people are kinda sad...They need to get a life & enjoy their college experience. Streaking the lawn is a tradition at UVA. Do it before you graduate. (Don't get scared about the rumors of cops arresting you & charging you with a sex crime. As long as you're not belligerently drunk, they'll just talk to you for 20 min. about how you were wrong & give you a warning.) Don't risk drinking in your dorm (unless you absolutely know you won't get caught). You will get written up, and have to attend a really long, boring, obnoxious alcohol awareness class (among other things they make you do!). It's NOT worth it. Frats & sororities are kind of big. Great bar scene too. You would think that once you leave high school, you're done with it forever. That's not true. UVA is kind of clicky, people still talk shit about others, spread rumors, etc. You'd think people would be more mature in college, but they're really not. There's lots to do off campus.. There's a great music scene. The downtown mall is nice (lots of shops, kinda artsy, you get to interact with the townies). Hiking/camping isn't far (Shenandoah mountain for example). Tubing & apple picking are also popular. There are a ton of wineries around Charlottesville so there's always wine tasting too.

Reese

Great Greek and bar scene.

Nico

UVA has something for everyone--the student body is so diverse that you're bound to find student groups that meet your interests and needs. About 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body is in a Greek organization, but there are plenty of opportunities to find a group of friends outside of sororities and fraternities. For myself, I did not join a sorority, but I led Young Life--a nondenomenational Christian organization geared towards high school students. I loved getting to be a part of a community of students committed to each others' lives, but also part of a greater community of high schoolers and their families in Charlottesville. And Charlottesville itself is incredible--so many amazing restaurants, coffee shops, music venues, hiking trails, beautiful drives/scenery...it deserves its title as "best city to live in in America."

Fraternities are great There are a lot of events on grounds

social life at uva is amazing. everyone is always out and about being social, meeting people, and having a good time. uva students work hard, but they play hard. dorm room doors are always wide open, you tailgate football games, go out to frats on Rugby Road. any night of the week you can find a party. my now best friend lived next door to me first year. we went to basketball games, shopping, football games, lacrosse games, parties, concerts, movies, performances, anything entertaining we could get our hands on together. if there wasn't anything that we wanted to do, we just stayed in and watched bad TV with the girls from the hall. it was ALWAYS a good time. traditions as far as parties go: XANADU. xanadu is an annual party put on by the sigma nu frat that is a fundraiser for their breast cancer foundation. they host a party, but sand in the basement, make the stairs a waterfall. it's like a tropical paradise. the next day they hold a concert with local bands. btw, the local bands in cville are GREAT! other traditions, there's always streaking the Lawn, other great traditions, lighting of the lawn, where there's holiday music, hot cider, and they light christmas lights all up and down the Lawn. and then there's the little kids who dress up and trick or treat on the Lawn halloween every year. if you drink, there is a party you can go to pretty much every night of the week, especially spring semester. if you don't, there are lots of groups that hang out and do non drinking stuff, but truthfully, dont know too much about that. frats are really where the parties are for first-years. sometimes you might have a little trouble getting in, but you'll get the hang of it. about 1/3 of UVA students are in a frat/sorority, a lot of my friends are in them, a lot of my friends aren't in them. it's really not that important to be in one. whether or not you are in a frat, going to frats is really the center of the social scene.

The Peer Health Educators probably got most of time at U.Va. in terms of extracurriculars. I loved the organization-giving "outreaches," or hour-long presentations on nutrition, stress management, sex, or alcohol and drugs to first-year dorms or greek life, tabling on the lawn with condom roses, or passing out t-shirts for our 4th-year 5-k (to combat the 4th-year 5th of drinking a 5th of alcohol during the last home football game). I was re-elected outreach intern for my fourth year, the only one in the program's history to do so. I loved what I did with them, and I'd recommend the group to anyone who's interested in health and the college population.

My roommate and I always left our door open as did most of our friends. Athletic events are very popular but so are guest speakers and theater. Dating is common but not dominant. Fraternities and sororities are definitely prevalent but there is plenty to do outside of them. I met my closest friends through my dorm, classes, and sorority.

I was in FIFE - Feminism is for Everyone. Basically all you can do is drink. There aren't things to do but drink on a Saturday night. You can go out to eat, go to a movie, then come back to an empty dorm sober. I didn't drink first semester and it really limited my ability to meet people. It's too bad, but it's true. Frats and sororities are extremely important.

Greek life is a huge part of UVA social life. I'd say at least 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body is involved. In addition, sports teams and 'Hoo Crew are probably the next largest group of people. Dorms are a social place, no matter if it's Old Dorms or New Dorms. The experience is just what people make it out to be. Lambeth Field (upper classman on-grounds housing) is also a very social place. As far as the dating scene goes, I would say it is fairly non-existent. At least in the typical guy asks girl on date to movies/dinner type way. People do date, but it's initiated through the party scene. As far as the party scene goes, it's a fairly large part of social life. If you're not a partier, it's definitely not the end of the world because there are plenty of other things to do, it's just not my scene so I don't necessarily look for it. There are movie theaters, plays to see, bowling alleys, ice skate rink, shopping, etc to do on a Saturday night. Or just hanging out with friends. Meeting new people is pretty easy, as long as you're willing to be friendly to people.