University of Washington-Bothell Campus Top Questions

Navarre

As mentioned in my overall opinion response, the school has very small class sizes with prerequisite general education classes having as few as 20 students. Every professor I have had knows me personally and takes the times to talk with me when we run into each other outside of class. My favorite class that I have taken so far was titled critical media literacy. It had a cultural studies base and focused on the hegemonic and ideological constructions inside the American mass media and popular cultural. The major project had students analyze the news coverage from various media outlets of a specific event and discuss the differences between their representations and ideologies. Ultimately, the class provided an in depth understanding of critical thinking with a specific focus on media analysis. My least favorite class was research writing. The material was interesting but the teacher was fairly opinionated and was a very heavy grader, most likely due to the fact that it was a freshman class and she had previously taught graduate level classes. Since the classes are small and intimate, class participation is considerably common and tends to bring about lively discussion and debate. I consistently witness as well as participate in discussion of class material outside of class with family and friends. I regularly leave class excited to tell others what I have learned since the material is presented in a format that allows it to be easily applied to societal use and critical thinking. The most unique class I have taken was entitled human rights through poetry arts and music. It was largely student driven and allowed for ample amounts of student expression and opinions. Each student was given the task of researching two poems and an artist (musical, performance, fine arts, etc..) who focus their work on human rights and social justice. Each student would then present their research to the class and moderate a discussion about what they feel the artists/poets work means to them and what it means in regard to society. My major is Media and Communication Studies and it is housed in the Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences department. Since the curriculum is very broad and interdisciplinary, my academic requirements are quite flexible in terms of classes I am able to take. I can take everything from broadcast productions, to the history of American propaganda, to Northwest Indian myths and story telling in order to fulfill my requirements. Even with these eclectic and broad course names the curriculum is geared towards helping students achieve a degree that will help them get a broad range of jobs. My major is meant to give me a foundation for a career in journalism, media production, communication, and even teaching. The holistic goal of the school's curriculum is to provide a learning base that allows students to feel prepared for a wide range of fields and disciplines rather than an individual fixed discourse.