Seattle, WA
University of Washington-Seattle Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Washington-Seattle Campus

Mason

The University of Washington is a public research institution that values the growth and diversity of the students attending this commonly labeled "Public Ivy League."

After completing my Fall Quarter at the University of Washington, I flew home to my hometown, San Clemente. Visiting my high school and speaking with my high school friends, I gave them one important piece of advice. In high school I was always concerned with what people thought and how successful I would be. However, after being in college, I told my friends that none of that matters. The most important thing to do is to be yourself and do what you want to do. Ultimately you are in control and whatever you choose to do, you have the opportunity to be successful.

Waking up at 5:00am, students log on to the UW website and at exactly 6:00am the registration opens for students to secure a spot in their desired course, yet at 6:05am many students find themselves unable to get a spot.

Qingxu

This school has fabulous environment and professional teachers.

This school has fabulous environment and professional teachers.

Students do not want to talk to FOB. They are racist. Asian people tend to hang out together. Kind of conservitive

they are extremely racist

half academics and half social life

Kendra

UW is well-known for its emphasis on research and academic rigor. Due to this, it draws many students for its nursing, business, and engineering programs. UW also has a passionate liberal agenda, which includes a strong emphasis on environmental sustainability, social justice issues, diversity, and study abroad. I had a wonderful study abroad exprience in Rome with the Creative Writing department. It was one of the best decisions I made in my undergrad. At times, I did feel that the arts and humanities were underfunded at UW, but I understood its research-based focus from the beginning.

As a child on family hikes, I loved to follow rabbit trails off the main path. Usually, they dead-ended with blackberry bushes, but sometimes I made jaw-dropping discoveries, like a giant, abandoned tree house. By high school, I had forgotten how to follow rabbit trails. I was on an honors track, involved in Wind Ensemble, and church activities. I assumed once I began college, I would be a real adult who knew exactly where she was going. Actually, college is much more about accepting that you will always be a person in progress. It's about goals and exploration, ambition and flexibility. College broke down many assumptions about myself, the order of things, and what success should look like. I switched my career path from music to social work to English. Writing a poem abroad at the coliseum and helping children make paper machete balloons were my unexpected tree house moments. These moments have led me to where I am now in pursuing Elementary teaching. Now, I would say: high school self, don't be afraid of rabbit trails. You will never have everything figured out. Embrace the messiness of an unknown journey. Enjoy the person you become.

One of UW's greatest strengths can also be its greatest weakness: its massive size. There are many resources, which can make it overwhelming at times to discern which will best meet your need. It takes extra self-initiative. UW does a great job of trying to connect new students with a club/activity group to build friendships. I was blessed to start my freshman year in a house with seventeen other women off campus. They were a variety of years and majors, and had a wealth of advice (from choosing classes to the best coffee spots).

Pavel

The University of Washington has one of the highest rated medical schools in the world.

If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself to prepare for college in advance. I would have done much more research and tried applying to more scholarships. I would decide much earlier in advance what I wanted to study and what I wanted to become. I would do this so that I could do more research on what goals I have to accomplish and what requirements I have to meet. In general, I would tell myself to be more prepared.

The University of Washington offers a variety of different educational options. The climate produced by the school is extremely pleasing and makes the entire experience enjoyable. The school performs research and does many other things to benefit the environment. Overall, the University of Washington is a great school that makes learning enjoyable.

Lavinia

You need to sit down and think about your future and what it is going to take to get there. Because your parents have not attended college, you do not have the same guidance as other kids on how to prepare for college and what to do once you get there. You have big aspirations, and with those big aspirations come a lot of hard work and thorough planning. Doing your research is very important on what it takes to become a doctor and the standards that come along through your education. Knowing what is coming will help tremendously so you won't start college without a clue what you are doing. If you knew what to expect, then you will not waste time and money. Most importantly, you will know the importance of grades and studying and how dire they are to your success as a doctor and even just getting into medical school. Advice for anyone getting ready to go to college is to know what you want and take it very seriously because it is a whole new world completely different from high school.

A person who is not too sure what their passion is or what they want to do with their life is they kind of person that should not attend this school. Without the motivation and drive, attending this school might be a waste of time if it is not experienced to its full advantage.

Some people view college as time they are away from their parents and are free to do what they please with school being a second priority. This school is for those who are very serious about their studies and are passionate enough about their major that it is their top priority. This school has a wide array of opportunities for the students and one has to take advantage of as many as they can.

Jacob

To not procrastinate and put absolutely everything you have into your college applications because they truly determine where and how happy you are going to be the next four years.

An out of state student who isn't finacially well off, unless you want lots of student debt in your first four years of college that is.

The amount of financial aid I recieved is extremely frustrating. I have 7 people dependent on my father in my household with a low income yet I'm still expected to pay a large tuition fee anually because I'm an out of state student.

Arie

Life as a high school senior differs greatly from the life of an undergraduate in college. One of the major differences is independence. As a high schooler, you learn to depend on teachers to tell you when certain assignments are due and you also occasionally depend on your parents to help you with homework, laundry, and food. However, once you're in college, you must learn to do these things yourself. The single most important thing to master independence is to learn how to manage your time. The best way to manage your time is to use a calander. Using a calander allows you to see when certain tasks are meant to be done. By learning this time management technique, you will easily be able to depend on yourself.

I wish I had known how competitive it is to get into your desired major. With thousands of students, it is not gaurenteed you will get your first choice major.

The University of Washington is a very large school (around 40,000 students). People who appreciate small class sizes and don't like large lecture would porbably prefer going to a smaller school. However, students accepted into the honors program will be in smaller classes.

David

My school is known for its incredible graduate science departments. These departments do an incredible job of incorporating various research projects into the coursework. One example is the graduate chemistry department which contains several two million dollar HNMR machines and the students are performing cutting edge research in to the structural chemistry. Within these departments the medical school is the most widely known and well respected aspect of University of Washington. The quality of students and professors has propelled it to be one of the top medical schools in the nation. It is my goal to attend this excellent program.

College. That word which causes even the strongest of high school students to tremble a little inside. However, after three years of college, the concept of higher education is not as daunting as it once was. I have shed much blood, sweat and tears to arrive at this point, but college has made me into a much stronger and well-rounded person. If I could travel back a couple years and tell myself something, it would be to stay one step ahead. When I maintained a jumpstart on the syllabus and my fellow students around me, I was very relaxed and able to contribute better to my classes. On the flipside, when I was just barely hanging onto my classwork, I was extremely stressed and started to fall behind. As a result, I would highly recommend to my senior self to schedule my time in a calendar to peacefully work on my assignments. However, the bottom line of college is just to enjoy the experience, your fellow classmates and most importantly the incredible opportunity to gain knowledge of this world!

University of Washington has many incredible departments and experienced faculty, but the class size in the undergraduate level makes it extremely challenging due to the average sizes of 400-500 students. This vast size causes a disconnect between professors and students. I have heard many complaints from fellow classmates about the lack of communication with the professor. Another side effect of the large class sizes influences the curve based grading system. Because the classes are so large, there is a large possibility that a student will not get the desired grade due to necessity to maintain grades above everyone else.

Rachelle

Young lady: I am going to tell you some things that you need to keep close and grasp with all your strength. I am going to tell you things that you will not like to hear, things that you will cry over, but will ultimately make your young life easier. You resisted these things as best as you could, but I am here to tell you now that these things will resurface again in ten years’ time. First, you cannot escape the essay. Writing will dominate your world from now until the end of time. It will define your college career in more ways than you can imagine. Second, do not fear your classmates. You should all work together to reach your final goal. They are not your enemy; they are not your competition. You may meet them again one day and you may rely on them once more. Finally, you cannot be shy anymore. Even if it is scary, even if it is painful, you must expose yourself. You must meet and greet and hang onto the lifeline of every last soul you cross, because that is how you will advance through your life. You cannot do it alone.

I had to graduate a quarter later than I wanted because I ended up being half a credit short as a result of how credits from a previous school transfered. This would not have been a problem if I had not met with my adviser, done all the math with her, and submitted my graduation application the quarter before I was notified of the mistake. Notification also came after the add period, so I could not do an emergency add to what would have been my final quarter.

I had already been to a two year college, a Junior College and a year in a California State University, so going to University of Washington was not a new experience, just a continuation.

Austin

My school is best known for its Husky pride and for all of the support that it has given to the Seattle community.

I would tell myself to enjoy the presence of my friends in high school while I still can. Although I still talk with them every now and then, it is not the same as it used to be. Sure, I made new friends when I went to college, but one of the best friends that I have now is someone who I was acquaintances with in high school and is in the same college as me now. I did not have many true friends in high school, only one or two, most of the people that I hung out with were barely more than acquaintances like the friend I described above. For some reason, I was not letting myself get close to these people that I saw every day, but now that I am in college, I see that friendships are extremely important when going for a higher level of education if you want to remain sane. If I would have allowed myself to enjoy my friends more, I would have had a much more relaxed final year of high school, and many of them would continue to be my friends today.

I brag about the quallity of knowledge that I am getting, and I brag about the freedom to find what subject suits me the best.

University of Washington-Seattle Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.