Seattle, WA
University of Washington-Seattle Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Washington-Seattle Campus

Those whose joy bursts from their bodies like firecrackers are those who choose to be happy. You are just a young kid – the world that surrounds you now is not the world that is waiting for you. Don’t let shy passivity stunt the growth of your creativity. You are not old – don’t try to act older for the sake of blending in, your youth is worth so much more than to be wasted. Clutch your joy in your hands and don’t let it go. Give your all to the college you are accepted to: opportunities will ebb and flow as your time there grows, seize the ones that bring passion to your life. You are entering a time of “brand new” – go on adventures, stay out, explore, make choices based on the person you strive to be in order to better the one you will be at college. Most importantly, don’t hold back on forming new relationships – your friends will be your comfort when you feel homesick or lost among a sea of work. Nurture the time you spend with others.

My school is located very close to a major city. There are tons of amazing things close to the area and to the campus; however, I get a sense of being over-crowded at times. I, personally, am a bit of an introvert who loves wide-open spaces. My preferences for solitude can sometimes clashe a little with the busy area.

Those who attend the University of Washington should be driven and organized. This university is highly revered around the area and the country. Students are expected to work hard and to put forth their best efforts.

Melissa

This is one of my writing samples that is published on Unigo.com, a multimedia college platform. I am answering the question, what is your overall opinion of this school (University of Washington)? The best thing about the University of Washington is the smaller community within the larger campus. People become connected through different events and similar passions which often lead to sustaining friendships. Red Square, the center of campus, booms throughout the day with tents promoting clubs and other fun activities. Not to mention, the campus could not be more gorgeous with its Harry Potteresque buildings dripping with vines, blossoming cherry trees, and the fountain decorated with swimming ducks. Oh, but the education. That's pretty important right? Well, UW definitely knows how to teach and does it well. My teachers display an enthusiasm about teaching I never received in high school. My freshman year, my hands clasped my school map tightly as I sat down at my lecture boasting hundreds of students. And there stood my teacher, smiling. For the next few weeks, she begged us to come to office hours to speak with her, because she sought to know her students on a more personal level. This kindness did not fail my following quarters at UW and still can currently be seen. One of my professors memorized over 200 of our names in order to make us feel more comfortable and some required us to come to office hours, because they truly wanted to know about our backgrounds and personalities first hand. Of course there are some lectures that are boring, but there are always others that leave you on the edge of your seat waiting to hear more. It really depends on who is teaching. But either way, my educational experience has been undeniably the best I could have asked for or ever dreamed I could obtain. Although all the great qualities that drew me into UW's atmosphere fulfilled my expectations, I will admit I did feel isolated when I first came here. I found it hard to make new friends in my classes where everyone seemed they had a full quota and were not looking to meet anyone knew. Therefore the one thing I would change about UW is the way they handle assimilating freshmen into what at first seems like a giant campus and school population. Now that I have been here for two years, I have found my groove. My shyness slowly melted away and I have been able to meet new people in my classes, dorm, and on campus job I had as a freshmen. Husky pride in Seattle, oh...it's real wild. During football season last year, my ears perked up before I looked out my dorm room window. I smiled as I saw the entire school marching band wrapped in Christmas lights, hands clutching their instruments in the cool November air. It was the night before a football game. And everyone knew. The day of a game is also an exciting event here. Faces caked in purple and yellow paint jumping on two feet in the Dawg Pack, the student section at the games, is simply a necessity. The rain beats down on the relentless fans as their purple and gold beads dance up and down around their necks. This incredible enthusiasm doesn’t just end at the edge of campus either. Husky pride radiates all over Seattle despite the nonexistent sunshine. Every time I tell someone I go to UW people seem to pop out from everywhere to shout "ME TOO!" When I applied for my debit card at Bank of America, at least four different people working at the West Seattle bank all told me they were alumni. For this reason, I have always felt as if I was connected to something bigger. An entire community within my hometown all felt and went through the same experience as me. Trying to sleep in loud dorm rooms. Walking with rain soaked umbrellas through the red brick path on the quad. Giggling with my new friends. Discussing social issues that affect our community. They were who I have become, a college student at a highly acclaimed university. And boy, are they jealous they can't go back! Because my experience at UW is in fact priceless (despite the thousands in housing & tuition, but hey you can't be a college student without SOME debt right?). Another common reaction I get after speaking the name of my school is, "how did you get in there?" Curious eyes often beat down on me as if I just told them I had been chillin' inside Bill Gate's mansion this weekend. But I try to suppress my proud smile and simply tell them the tricks that every prospective student should know; I worked hard in high school. I earned my spot at UW by volunteering, getting good grades, and writing strong college essays. As a first generation college student, I knew and still understand the value of my education. Being accepted into UW, especially as an in-state resident, is not easy and is something to be envied. But you do not want to feel the people who get in to your desired school were accepted solely on the fact that it was easy, do you? I always wanted to go to a school that people took seriously, because to me, education is serious. Not to say that you can't have any fun, but it's important to crack down on the studying and homework more often than not. Because it is time to be someone and do something with your life, and after all, UW is an award winning school scattered with opportunities. So what are you doing? Apply and take one.

A stereotype at the University of Washington is that the school overflows with book-worm Asians who lack social skills. But clearly, this is not true at all. UW has an eclectic mix of students ranging from all different genders, races, and backgrounds. Through my experience at the school, I have met people from all over the world from Kenya to Russia right back to my home town of Seattle. Of course, there are Asians at UW just like there are other ethnicities, which creates an environment filled with diversity. It was not until I came to UW that I learned "Wow, there are so many different kinds of people!" Peeking from behind the doors of my private school education, I came to the realization that I was clearly in a new world. But I loved it. I learned that inside of my big school lies a smaller community that is not phased by these stereotypes about people's skin color or cultural background but who they are as a person. For a person considering applying to UW I would say don't be worried about stereotypes, because this one like many others is based off of silly assumptions that do not apply to the school or the character of people that go here.

Describe the dorms.

Oh the dorms...how they make me reminisce (even though I still live in one now...). First of all, if you are a freshmen do NOT live in McMahon Hall like I did. Wow, big mistake. McMahon is built differently than your average dorm hall, because it has "clusters". Inside of one big room there are separate rooms that each have two beds, desks, etc. You live in the same space as 8-10 girls, who all share a living room and bathroom. Not bad right? As a sophomore currently living here, I would say no. But as a Freshman I realized the only people living in McMahon are upper class students and their friends. Mostly sophomores and juniors pick clusters with their friends and then if they have an odd amount of people a freshman gets thrown in. I felt extremely awkward in my cluster, where I didn't talk to anyone and had nothing in common with my roommate. Reflecting back, I wish I would have switched to the all freshman hall Lander on the other side of campus. Lander only houses freshman, meaning its a little loud and wild, but hey everyone there is eager to make friends. In Lander you live on a floor where everyone props their door open and meets new people. But in McMahon, they have fire doors so the front doors to your cluster must be closed at all times. This means you can make zero friends living on your floor unless you want to go around knocking on doors to meet new people. Clearly, I was not cool with that. RA's in McMahon have been pretty nice. They schedule a lot of planned events to get to know people and what not. That's one thing in college to look forward to: ICE BREAKERS. Yikes. These events can be pretty weird since everyone is awkwardly shuffling around trying to meet people. But hey free food, I'm in. I decided to live in McMahon this year in a single room in a cluster with a few of my friends. So far, it has been a good experience. I love being able to walk 10 steps and climb into my friends bed to watch TV or do some homework. It feels so much less isolating then last year where everyone avoided eye contact in the bathroom. Let's not forget, both Terry and McMahon are equipped with their own cafeteria's and convenient stores (unlike all the other dorm halls). You buy a food plan when you sign up for your dorm hall. And boy, do you feel rich when you have one! You just pick out all the food you want and hand them your pretty purple Husky card and like magic you seemingly get the goods for free. Except it's not free since you already paid for the food plan but you know what I mean. So in conclusion, freshman stay with other freshman who actually want to talk to you and get to know you in Terry or the brand new Poplar building that wasn't around when I was a freshman, gr! But as a sophomore chose a location with some of your new friends to give your new building a more cozy, exciting environment.

What are your classes like?

Big. And Small. I have had lectures of up to 400 students and then classes as small as twenty. It really depends on what you are studying. In small writing classes, they are more personal and you have one-on-one's with your professor to discuss your essays. Also, my Spanish classes have been on the smaller side with around twenty five students. Of course, you are going to have those big lectures for more broad classes, but....there is a secret. Now I wish someone would have told me this before I came here to ease my nerves. There is quiz sections for each lectures. What?? You have a quiz once or twice a week in these quiz sections? (My exact reaction as a Freshmen). No, silly. They are around twenty students from your big lecture who come together as a small class once or twice a week to discuss main points of your lecture with the TA (Teacher's Assistant). These are great for making a new friend to sit with in your big lecture where everyone pretends they don't notice the hundreds of students surrounding them. Also, a TA is a less scary person to meet in office hours for questions if you are still too antsy about approaching your super smart professor (which you shouldn't be!!). Now on to the more savory question. What is it like to be inside of one of those big or small classes? Well, it is like school. You sit and listen to the teacher eloquently tell you about the subject and take notes in the big lectures. Although, I have had teachers who are engaging and like to discuss with the students through asking for questions or opinions. In the smaller classes, we take out our books, do practice problems, worksheets, etc. I will say, it is much more independent than high school. There will be no "So what confused you about the homework last night? Any questions?" But if you do have questions, office hours are always available as well as tutoring in different subject areas on campus. People also get together with classmates or friends to form study groups. So there are no excuses for slacking or not going to class! Unless it's raining outside and you reallllyyyy don't want to get out of bed. Oh wait, that's always. So yeah, get up and get movin'!

Lisa

I will look back on college as one of the best times of my life. However, there are a few pieces of advice I would give to a high school senior about to begin college: The first is purely practical - I highly recommend looking for a job on campus soon after you start. You will be able to get valuable academic and research experience that will skyrocket your chances of landing a successful job or graduate school application after college. Many of my extracurricular activities and recommendation letters came from a job I got during my freshman year. Second, stay organized and on top of your classes, both with your lecture material and with the schedule you need to keep in order to graduate on time. This will save you lots of stress and possibly a large chunk of tuition money if you don't need to stay an extra semester to take a missing class to complete your degree. Finally, meet as many people as possible, find friends to live with, study abroad, and take as many opportunities as you can. Make the most of your time in college, and be prepared to love your newfound independence!

The availability of diverse opportunities for people with a wide range of interests.

You have to be willing to step outside your comfort zone in order to make the most of the opportunities here.

Amia

1) There's a large Asian American population, but you don't often see racially integrated social groups. 2) Because there's so many people, it's hard to make friends unless you join a club or group. 3) UW is incredibly research-focused - there will be requirements for it in most programs you apply to.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to relax and center my undergraduate experience on what suited my career personally, not on "what I was supposed to be doing" or my GPA. I would tell myself to challenge myself with classes that I found interesting as well as subject matters that I wasn't as good at, in order to be well rounded and make sure that certain career options did not suit me. With the exceptions of fields such as pre-med or business, the undergraduate experience is a privilege that allows a student to explore and find what they are good at. Many do not take advantage of the tools at their disposal because they are set on a certain path or mindset, even if they haven't taken the time to test our their different options. Second, I'd tell myself that having issues adjusting to college is perfectly okay. I feel that I would have coped better with the mental health issues I struggled with (anxiety and anorexia nervosa) if I had allowed myself to be okay with how hard adjusting is.

1. If you're not very academically driven 2. If you like a close, tight-knit social setting 3. If you're very conservative 4. If you don't like walking

Kelsey

I would tell myself to do more research on colleges and majors before deciding what you want to do. The more research that you do, the easier it will be to make a decision that will effect your life. The earlier you research all options, the greater the chance of you making a definite decision in your career path. The sooner you start searching and applying for scholarships increases the opportunity of receiving financial support. Stay focused in school and make the best grades you can for this will also increase your chance of receiving a scholarship to the school of your choice. Do not settle for second best. Strive for excellence.

Xuan

Seattle and its tech industry. The Huskies football team.

Seattle and its tech industry. The Huskies football team.

Going from high school to college was an exciting yet nervewracking experience for me. Having gone through that period of transition before, I am about to go through it once more. I will be attending graduate school this fall and the same questions are running through my head. "Is it going to be harder?" "What will the people be like?" "How different will it be?" Advice that I give to my high school self is the same I'd give to my current self. It would be to take advantage of all the opportunities available. Take the fun classes like graphic arts or ceramics that are seemingly frivolous because those classes may actually help you in your career or become a serious hobby. I would also tell myself that I can do much more than I think I am capable of and to not be afraid to take on challenges. I never knew how hard I could work until I got to college. Don't sell yourself short because you are afraid you won't do well. I'll make sure to follow this advice to my past high school self as I embark on a new academic journey.

Education and research.

The University of Washingon is known for its beautiful campus (especially the cherry trees in the quad and the buildings that look like Hogwarts), as well as its highly regarded programs and large campus size. The UW is especially known for its well regarded and rigorous medical school. There is a ton of research that comes out of this university, so as a student, you will have easy access to great, relevant information and professors from all disciplines. It's a really great school!

I would say: "Elizabeth, congrats on finishing high school. I'm talking to you now in order to help you avoid the same mistakes I made as a college student. Here's the first thing: I can't stress enough the importance of joining clubs, internships, and organizations on campus. Not only will this help you make friends, but it will help you perform better in your classes and help you get into grad school (yes, you're going to grad school!). Secondly, take advantage of your professor's office hours. Again, there is no better way to do well in class than to get personalized advice from your teachers after hours - plus you can ask teachers for graduate school references if you get to know them. And finally, spend your time doing extra reading! You want to be a philosophy professor. You need to get yourself familiarized with as much academic philosophy as possible because finding jobs and grants in your field is pretty competitive. The sooner you can get ahead of the game the better. If you keep these things in mind, you will make this whole process much easier!"

I really did like UW, however the most frustrating thing in my experience is the huge size of the campus. Students will sometimes not have enough time to make it from one class to another, or will have to take the bus across campus. Also, I found the safety of the University District to be quite poor. My house got broken into and stolen from three times in three years, and I know several people who personally experienced or witnessed muggings in the area.

The University of Washington is located in a beautiful area, with a diverse population, offering a multitude of majors, clubs, sports, and activities for all students, while being a world renowned learning institution that creates opportunities for successful careers.

Be better organized, as time management will make you or break you. There are only 24 hours in a day and getting things accomplishment in a timely manner is the only way to survive. Procrastination will not be tolerated, and sleep is of little importance if good grades are the goal. It is imperative to speak up, get involved in classroom discussion, exhibit energy and passion in the topics at hand. This mindset creates inner happiness and personal drive to produce success. Being involved in leadership positions, volunteer activities, sports/teaming groups, and employment opportunities create a well rounded person. The many friendships and multitude of learning opportunities enhance personal development. This is the college way and stepping up has got to be the mantra to obtain all possible from one’s education.

Being such a large institution, the University of Washington allows students to explore many options in order to choose the appropriate major for every individual, while providing an extremely challenging curriculum. The vast amount of class choices allows all students to pursue their interests and learn about numerous subjects to become a well rounded college graduate. Hands-on, internships, mentoring, and group discussions lend to this style of obtaining applicable knowledge that is valuable in a future workplace. It creates a win-win situation for professors and students to help everyone become the best citizen possible.

Shamia

If I was given an opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would encourage myself to listen and take heed to my parents advice, by prioritizing my time to better organize my academic needs before hanging out with my friends in the community; I would listen harder in class as the teachers are teaching, take better detailed notes and be sure to ask questions when I don't completely understand how to work a math problem; I would encourage myself to get more involved in community service projects while being a member of several merit-based clubs/organizations, which would provide me a better pay off when applying for various college scholarships; I would encourage myself to keep my bedroom at home in a more organized manner by learning to appreciate many space-saving gadgets; I would encourage myself to get better acquainted with the "nerds" outside of my social circle and allow the "popular crowd" within my social circle to disassociate themselves with me... It's a blessing in disguse.

Kirstin

I would advise myself to take advantage of all of the extracurriculars and resources my university had to offer in order to get the most out of my education. While I was in college, all I did was take my required classes and nothing else. I even lived off-campus, so as soon as my classes were over for the day, I went back home. I wish I would've put more effort into trying out clubs or other organizations so that I would've made friends and experienced a lot more. I also wish I would have used the academic and career resources my university offered for free while I attended. I think I would have had a better idea of what I was going to do after I graduated with my degree if I had talked to counselors and my professors more about my goals and aspirations.

I wish I would've known what was most important to me for my educational experience before I attended.

Someone who is proactive, independent, and very outgoing. Students who are more reserved will feel a bit lost among the crowd. In order to get the best experience, you need to seek out what you want and try different things.

University of Washington-Seattle Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.