Seattle, WA
University of Washington-Seattle Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Washington-Seattle Campus

Chantal

While a majority of students do return home on weekends, this is not necessarily a negative factor. I enjoy being able to take a 40 minute bus ride home and visiting with my family and friends from back home whenever I choose to return. The student population is not predominantly Asian. But the school is very diverse, which is something I value greatly.

A few of my friends at other colleges in Washington said that people believe that UW students return home every weekend, and the student population is predominantly Asian.

Maria

Washington is a big public school. However, it doesn't really feel like it's such a large school, you can find a nice smaller niche here (if that's what you want), or if you want a big school atmosphere, there are definitely a wide range of activities to suit your interests. Campus is probably one of the best things about UW. It's one of the prettiest college campuses I've seen, and I've visited many many colleges around the U.S. The leaves are gorgeous red, orange, yellow and all shades in between in autumn, and in the spring our quad is gorgeous with the cherry blossoms blooming in the trees lining the pathways. There is also lots of school pride, and I think that is important because it shows that the students are excited and are proud to be a part of the UW community.

I think the student body here is quite diverse, and people are usually very open to different people. Students of any race, color, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, among other groups should feel right at home here, and won't feel alienated. Most students here are at least fairly liberal.

The often ridiculous grading scale. At many universities an "A" grade is somewhere between a 90-93% and up percentage grade. Not here. If you want a 4.0 in a class, you often have to get 100% in the class. Ouch.

That students are pretentious, stuck up, and the rich kids (well according to our rival Washington State).

There is a big greek system here, so if you're interested in that, you'll be right at home. If you're on the other end of the spectrum and want to avoid everything to do with frats/sororities, yep that's easy to do too. Want to go skydiving? You'll find a group of people to go with you. Or swing dancing? Yep, there's a club on campus too. Any activity that you want to do, someone has probably rounded up a few people that want to do that too. Want to have a slip and slide club? Well we don't have that but it's easy enough to start a registered student organization (RSO). Athletic events are popular, football games in the fall cause a flurry of purple and white painted faces headed towards a crowded Husky Stadium. If football isn't your thing, not to worry you can avoid it entirely if you want by finding tons of other things to do on your Saturdays around the Seattle area, such as jumping off an unfinished part of an overpass into Lake Washington, or check out the night life downtown. People party (a lot) in the frats, and there are lots of parties to be found on the weekends. Although, you will find studious students living in the dorms too, although some floors are notorious for being "party" floors.

No, not on the whole. Most of the people I know are down-to-earth, and really smart but you wouldn't guess it in just passing them on the street.

Academics are rather hit and miss here. There are some really good professors here, but you sometimes get some pretty awful professors, and the language barrier is sometimes overwhelming. In one class there may be several professors teaching a number of sections, and it's a gamble as to whether or not you get a good professor (although many students converse about which professors to take and which to avoid). Nevertheless, I have found most of my professors to be approachable and willing to help students. Students here do have intellectual conversations outside of class, but also just hang out and chat with friends about daily happenings.

Jane

Kind of. About the coffee, although it does drive many student's energy supplies, tea is becoming popular pretty quickly . Students feel strongly about environmental issues and the campus is one of the greenest in the country. Yes, it rains a lot, but in actuality, Seattle isn't even the raniest city in the country, not by a long shot. Sure, winters can be a bit crappy, but the moment it get's gorgeous, it gets GORGEOUS, and almost nothing can beat a gorgeous Washington campus.

Everyone drinks coffee, people are super liberal and evironmentaly friendly, and it rains ALL THE TIME.

Rob

The best thing about Washington is its size. Having that many students allows for more opportunities for students to network with each other, and find others who share their passions. Washington's faculty and administration are helpful and very professional. Something unusual about Washington is its social culture. In the dorms, few people leave their rooms, having relegated their time to room-dwelling and other antisocial behaviors. The social people are either the political far-left, who normally have bloodshot eyes whenever they're seen, or the party animals, who often have trouble standing. There isn't really much of a middle ground.

As a Republican, and one who doesn't believe in global warming, I've received a lot of negativity towards myself solely because of those opinions. The student body's general attitude is "force conservatives to be tolerant of us, but don't tolerate conservatives". This extreme political focus on liberalism is one of the reasons I actually want to transfer schools. Students are very clique-y, and ethnic students normally hang with others of the same ethnicity, as with LGBT students, etc.

This school needs a political mindset check, and people here need to get over their Asperger's and come out of their rooms sometime.

They are completely, 100 percent accurate.

Most students at Washington take pride in their academics. It's a very large focus at this school, especially considering the strength of Washington's Computer Science and Medicine programs. Students study all the time and like to show off their good attendance and academic record.

Washington students tend to room-dwell, so nobody outside the Greek system really does much. Room-dwelling nerds occasionally hook up, but most of the time, if you want to meet anybody, you go to the Greek system. Most weekends I go home because there isn't much going on here.

Very liberal, full of hippies, and the school itself is bland.

I'm always proud to tell people I go to UW, because I think people are impressed by it. It's earned a reputation as being a prestigious school in our area. For the most part I enjoy going here; it has a gorgeous campus and there are always activities to do and new people to meet It also offers a wide variety of classes to take; from The two best classes I have taken were History of Jazz and Space and Space Travel. I found both of them absolutely fascinating and had so much fun taking them... it was a nice break from all the science/math classes I'm taking for my Biology major. I do sometimes dislike how large it is. At times I feel like I'm only a number, and I don't like how impersonal large lecture classes are. I'm a little worried about applying to grad school because I don't know my professors well enough to ask them for a letter of recommendation.

One stereotypes I've heard about UW is that we're a "smart school" and not very good at partying

I think there is some truth in this because UW is a very academically challenging school and you have to work hard in order to get accepted. As far as partying and drinking goes, if that is what you are looking for, you can definitely find it. It may not be as prevalent because UW is located in the city and a large number of students are commuters, or live close enough to go home on the weekends, so campus can seem somewhat dead on a saturday night.

I'm in the science department, and I find the classes are extremely competitive. The classes are curved so that the average is within a .1 range of a 2.7. This is really frustrating because I'm doing above average in all of my classes, but my GPA is only a 3.4 which doesn't sound as impressive as it really is. I didn't realize what a challenge a Biology major would be, and how much studying I would have to do.

I live in a sorority on campus and have found it to be really beneficial. I had initially believed the stereotype that sorority girls are just dumb, superficial party girls, but when my mom forced me to rush I was pleasantly surprised to find this wasn't true. I consider myself to be an academically oriented person, and living in a sorority has actually helped me get better grades. I always have girls that I live with in classes with me so we can study together, and upperclassmen to give me study tips on classes they've already taken. It's also just a nice clean living environment and more spacious than living in the dorms. Also, I like that I come back to school at the end of each summer to the same people, it's comfortable. I could be wrong, but I believe that our house bills (which include food) are cheaper than the cost of a dorm and a meal plan too.

Christina

I think that the UW can be too large if you don't participate in any groups. IMA teams, clubs, classes, and the greek system make a huge campus seem much smaller than it really is. These are great ways to get to know people, but because UW is such a big school, there are always new people and opportunities. Also, when I say that I go to UW people think of the Husky pride and most people see the U as a great academic school.

I don't think anyone would feel out of place at UW because it is such a big school and there are so many diverse groups and activities. Students here are pretty laid-back in how they act and are accepting of others opinions. A good sign of how laid back people are is that you don't see people getting dressed up for class or really trying to impress people too much. Its about school and thats it. If someone is dressed up a lot there is usually another reason, like a career fair or a meeting.

I love UW. My parents, aunts, and uncles all came here. At first this made me kind of shy away when I was choosing schools, but now I realize that this is the place I belong. It has the great college experience, great academics, Division I sports, and for me a great greek system.

There is a stereotype that all UW students fit the Pacific Northwest mold and carry their Nalgenes while wearing their Northfaces.

The stereotypes fit some groups and some people, but the UW is such a diverse school that the stereotypes can't apply to everyone.

The most popular activities on campus are either greek life or IMA teams. Sports and intramural activities are pretty important on campus. The greek system here is pretty big and fairly diverse if you take the time to look at all the different houses. There are a lot of frats and sororities, and they are all different from each other. However, the majority of students aren't in the greek system. For me the greek system is where I have met my closest friends and have reconnected with friends from when I was younger. Its great to have the support system of people like you instead of being randomly assigned a roommate in the dorms.

The class sizes range drastically on campus, but you know how big they are when you choose them. The higher the level within a department, the smaller the classes get. Smaller classes tend to be more discussion based, but some lecture professors try to encourage discussion as well. I have never felt that a class was taught in the wrong environment, some classes don't need as much discussion and there is nothing wrong with that. I think that students study a fair amount. People are pretty good at balancing their time between school, work, and social activities. Students are very competitive, especially since you have to apply to most majors and a lot of classes are graded on a curve.

Kelly

I couldn't have asked for more in a college. The campus is amazing and never gets old. The walks to class are a bit long, but walking keeps off those freshman 15 and the scenary is just breathtaking. From the detailed architecture to the view of Lake Washington the location could not be better. Students are always involved and there are endless amounts of activites for student recreation and entertainment.

I would like to think so. UW students are very competative in the class room in all areas of study so each individual has to work really hard to earn good grades.

For the most part the teaching staff is outstanding and genuinely care about the students. Classes are hard and competative, but keep students thinking and really make them earn their education

Washington students have a pretty good rep when it comes to acadamic standards. It seems to be considered where all the top students that remain in state head.

Andy

I love the size of UW. One thing I would change is the ability to get into classes. Since UW is so big, classes are some times difficult to get into, but besides that the size is good unless you want to be able to speak in classes. As a fresman lots of my classes are 500 students and they are not discussion based but lecture based. I really enjoy this because it allows me to learn it my own way and not be forced to speak. Also with classes this big we have quiz sectiosn which are discussion/review classes that are based off the class which only have 30 or so students. These sections are really helpful. Also the best part about the size of UW is taht there are so many people to meet. You dont know everyone or everything about one person, and there are so many chances to meet people. There is a ton of school pride especially during football season.

I do not think so. I guess in some ways they are true because a north face is good attire for the weather here, but I would not say that we are tree huggers.

They are tree huggers who walk around in north faces, berkanstocks and have nalgenes.

University of Washington-Seattle Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.