University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Before i entered UW, i heard that classes were really huge, and that you'll never be able to meet your professors. However, once i got here, i realized that it's like any other school except larger. The classes really are huge, like i think my largest one is about 400 students, but you don't really notice the huge difference between a small or large class. It really doesn't make a difference. Just sit in the front if you feel like sitting in the back makes it difficult to learn. Before i entered college, i also thought that in high school i always went up to my teachers to get help, how am i suppose to succeed in college if i can't even meet my professors? In reality, these professors at UW really care if their students learn. They provide office hours and if that's not enough, there's centers that helps in each specific subject, such as the chemistry study center, math study center and CLUE which is like a tutoring center where they help students later on in the evening. As for the people at UW, they are very well rounded students. It's really different than high school - no high school dramas. i believe that it's really easy to make friends here at UW, there are a variety of students from different backgrounds. They don't judge you by your looks, they accept you the way you are. I never feel left out in my new circle of friends and all my new friends that i've met became friends with my other new friends that i met throughout the quarters. So we all get along really well.

The state of Washington is a diverse state, as I know from having lived on both sides of the mountain. People from the Seattle area, because of its history with Microsoft and Boeing and other rich industries, have a reputation for being elitist coffee-drinkers and being extremely liberal politically. It's always raining, so the clothes people wear are designed more for the weather than for fashion. It also breeds environmental activists, hybrid-car drivers and hiking enthusiasts. Because of UW's size, the campus community is very diverse, but as a whole students tend to have more money and better high-school transcripts than other public schools in the state.

1) That UW is a huge party school and that if you go here you are bound to party a lot. This isn't true. The school is big enough that you can find whatever you want. If you want to party, you can party every night for a month. If you don't want to party, there is very little pressure for you to party. 2) Because UW is a big school, it is assumed that everyone has tons of school pride. I am not into wearing tons of purple; I don't really understand fanatical school pride. There are tons of people that wear almost all purple, but most people don't care. Almost everyone has a Washington sweatshirt, but beyond that, i doesn't really matter.

The highest profile group of students are the greek-going business admin types. Because they move in mass, they carry much weight at the university. Lower profile, but contributing much more to the academics are the science research, pre-med, computer science types. Unless you're in their program, though, you don't see them much. A smaller percentage of us--and I don't know what the hell we're doing here--are more hippie, organic, traveler, free thinker types.

Eastern Washington is more like the South, kind of ignorant and white trash and very dry and flat and colorless. However, once you get west, it is beautiful and green and Seattle is one of the most educated cities in the country. Washington students are interesting. Many undergrads have a "could care less attitude" but there are many who are very driven and are at school because they have something they want to learn. UW is better for graduate school.

Being the largest University in the Pacific Northwest, UW gets a reputation for being too large and many prospective students tell me we are just "too big" for them. Many people worry that they will get lost on the campus, and never find their social niche. With 40,000+ students, the University of Washington is a huge campus, and is situated in a fairly urban area of Seattle, so the community surrounding UW has its share of big cities pains.

Seattle is known as a 'rainy' city, even though, based on precipitation alone, we don't even make it to the top 10 rainiest cities in the US. However, it is true that, throughout the year, we have much more cloudy and rainy days than we do sunny days. Seattleites never take weather for granted. We enjoy sunny days, but we do know that 'a sunny day will always be followed by a week's worth of rain' or clouds.

The wonderful thing about Washington is its weather. It contains all kinds of weather in the earth that everybody can enjoy, such as raining, snowing, sunny,...The weather in washington is variable, but the hard work of students is stable. On the street in any weekday, visitors are able to see washington students who are walking or waiting for the bus to get to school.

When I first came here I thought that everyone was extremely smart. I also heard that every class I took would be like 300 people. It was rumored that the professors could care less if you pass or failed, and they were never available to talk to. They even told us that the majority of students don't finish their degree in four years.

Washington and Seattle: that we hike a lot, wear polar fleece, drinks lots of coffee, listen to Indie music, and are pretty laidback. University of Washington students: that we're pretty smart, like to party, are relatively out doors-y, and all own ipods and have specific coffee brands we order.