University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

There is a great college feel to the campus with a lot of students. For some it may be too many students but for me it is just right. There is tons of school pride due to the success of the athletic department. It is a prestigious well respected school world wide so this only adds to the pride factor.

Sure, everyone wants to go to Yale or Harvard. But when you really think about it, the University of Washington's not too bad itself. It's one of the best schools nation-wide for anyone going into nursing or psychology. I hear our dental program's pretty prestigious as well.

Washington is a great place if you are active, enjoy the outdoors and can handle the grey skies and rain. There is a great cinema culture and the Seattle International Film Festival is always AMAZING! There is great Husky pride!

I love UW. The biggest student complaints are probably the class sizes or the dorm room size. Also the food pricing is ridiculous.

The UW is much too large and I've never loved all the rain. The campus is beautiful, as is the neighborhood.

The University of Washington is not too big or to small, I think it is just right for me. I come from a small town and was loking for a college that was close to the city, but still had a feeling of community and comfort. I lived in the dorms freshman year and was a member of the UW track & field team for two years. That was one of the best experiences in my life and I was in the best shape of my life. I met so many people so quickly, it was perfect. I love competition and being part of a team and was so glad I had that opportunity. I new what i wanted to study coming into college, Architecture. After my first year in the dorms i decided to rush and join a sorority, something i as totally against coming into college. It turned out to be one of the best decisions i could have made. having so many friends and people surrounding me that cared and were in the same position as me was very helpful. The greek system was like a community within a huge college, something i could go home to and feel welcomed and at home, unlike the dorms. I can not walk any where in the U-district without seeing someone i know, which is great....most of the time, haha. I have life-long friends now. People who I can always have something in common with. Now that I am an Alumni, I can go back and help out the chapter. I am also a double major in construction management and architecture...a five year program. I have worked in an architecture firm for a year and i am currently working for a construction management firm as an intern. I have loved both my internships, but they have proven to be challenges working throught the school year. I need to work to have money and help pay for school. I know these two majors will prove to be successful and i am excited! UW has a ton of school pride and that is one of the things i love most about football season and basketball season. no matter how terrible our team may be playing, the stands are packed and the crowd loud and rowdy! One concern i have is the current violence around the uw campus and if it is turning people away. I know the media has portraid the greek community as violent, but it is actually people coming into the area that are causing the problems. I am not into campus politics or administration enough.

Okay so this is what the college review books won't tell you. If you want to goto a big university with really good party scene don't come to UW. If you are interested in meeting tons of attractive girls or planning on constant hookups don't come here. UW is organized differently in a social sense than many other schools. Greek system has a monopoly over the best parties and the hottest girls and really its a completely different lifestyle if you live in the system. Also if you don't girls still have it not too bad. However the guys get shafted because if you don't know people you can't get into frat parties and you'll have to try your luck at some house parties which are usually sausage fests anyway, all the while paying 5 for a cover when girls drink free even if they are fugly. Size: Good for meeting people terrible for learning. There will be people trying to tell you "Ohhh its not that bad and you have ta's for the big classes". Denial. TA's for the intro classes are either a) foreign or b) the worst/dumbest in their class which is why they are ta'ing for 142. Same goes for professors for the most part. the worst ones are the intro teachers for classes like chem 142 phys. 121. You pay for what you get and no matter how much someone argues that it will ring true if you are honest about your education, bigger classes= less personal, more stressful, and poorly run. Campus: The buildings are pretty nice and the campus has a great view. but winter is pretty dismal for most people college town: The U district is a shit hole lets just say that. Theres bums shitty apartments and crack. Most people are all stoked on the ave but you'll get over it if you come here. Overall tho it is so much better than any other dumb college campus that is comprised of only the school. Reasons to go here: WA is the only state in the country not in recession and it's economic backbone is a valuable investment for a future job. Example: you graduate and have a much better chance of being hired in the state's solid economic climate than going to another school, only downside is major competition for grades, majors, etc.

Again, i already explained most of it in the first question... but i believe the best thing about UW and Washington is the campus is in Seattle and close to Downtown Seattle, so there's a lot of places to hang out during your free time. Downtown Seattle is a great place to go eat and just relax and get to know all your friends and just kick back. The campus may be larger than other schools, but you don't really notice the change if you came from a smaller school. In high school, my school was about 2000 students, but the classroom contained about 30 students, so it was a small classroom. So i was pretty scared when i heard about the large lecture classes, however, no one told me there were also small classes here at UW. Most lecture classes come with small quiz sections where you take your quizzes and get extra help lead by TAs. These classes consist of about 25 students in each class. So it's not too bad, i promise you! When you people ask you where are you going to college and you reply UW, many people will immediately tell you CONGRATULATIONS! because UW is known to be one of the top schools in Washington - in which they are one of the top schools for business, medical, nursing, pharmacy, etc. you name it! Also, if you are one of the huge fans of school pride, UW is the school for you! We are all about purple and gold. Huskies is our mascot and we are one huge family. UW also welcomes new incomers by setting a week full of events known as Dawg Days, it helps you become familiar with the campus and get to know students your age that are also new when you arrive in the fall. The one complaint that i believe many students have is waking up around 5:45 in the morning to sign up for classes and still not being able to get into the classes you want! I've had that issue every single quarter, and sometimes i still don't get the classes i want, but that's only a small issue, which shouldn't be in the way of deciding to go to UW and become a Husky.

I attend classes at the Bothell extension campus of the University of Washington. I love the size of the extension because its smaller, but still offers all of the resources I need to succeed in school. The best thing about Washington is the quality of the professors and the quality of education. I feel like I learn a lot everyday when I go to class, but I don't feel too stressed out since the professors mediate the workload well. When I tell people I go to University of Washington, they are impressed and ask me about my experience there. In interviews with employers, when I tell them I attend UW full time, they are always impressed and say that UW students are well respected in the business world. I spend most of my time on campus in class, though I do study in the student cafe lounge and in the library. There are no contoversies on campus that I know of. There is a lot of school pride, but instead of pride in the school mascot and sports teams, it is pride in your colleagues and in the school administration. I feel lucky to be at the University of Washington and when I think of my peers, I am proud to be amongst them. The pride at UW is in intellect and in the people there. The only unusual thing about the Bothell extension of UW is that the class sizes are smaller. This is better for me individually because every class is more intimate (with a class size of about 40 people) and getting to know professors (and having them know you by name) is more common. I like this style of class much better than a 200+ person hall lecture at the Seattle main campus. I will never forget all of the fun times I've had in class at UW Bothell... all of the fun games we get to play as a class and all of the interesting subject topics we discuss. I haven't heard any student complaints on my campus.

One thing that is great about Washington is its location. The campus is beautiful and it's only a 15 minute bus ride from downtown Seattle. There is Gasworks park just down the Burke-Gilman trail which cuts through part of campus. Gasworks is said to be the most beautiful location in the Seattle area overlooking downtown across the water. One set of dorms overlook Lake Washington and the other overlook Lake Union. There isn't a place on campus that isn't absolutely gorgeous. The fountain on campus stands in front of a view of Mount Rainier and the list beauty is endless. University Way is filled with stores and restaurants, many cooperating with on campus meal cards. Just down the hill from campus is University Village full of high end stores such as Coach, Abercrombie, Pottery Barn, MAC, Something Silver, Apple, Gap, H&M, Victoria's Secret, QFC, and of course multiple branches of the Seattle classic: Starbucks. The bus system makes it really easy to maneuver around campus and the surrounding areas. One downside to Washington is the ridiculous prices of everything on campus. This is something you will hear everyone complain about. The smallest meal plan HFS offers is over $700 which most girls I talk to have a very very difficult time spending in a quarter, even with the overpriced meals we pay for. Naturally tuition does increase every year along with room and board. But improvements are constantly being made in all of the buildings and I feel that the money is being put to use. Seattle itself has a high price for housing compared to cities where other state schools are located. This almost makes it worth it to stay in the dorms if it weren't for the food prices.