University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

the best thing is that it's a beautiful campus. many resources and opportunties from study abroad to research. the downside? it's a research school. meaning more focus on funding and less on the individual success of students. it does seem distant and big. the "diversity" in regards to racial/ethnic diversity is not what the school claims it to be. although recruitment for "underrepresented minorities" does occur, it's often tokenized and shouldn't be this way. students of color are often tokenized just like any other marginlized community on campus be it the Q community or students with disabilities or women. the area surrounding the school is known as the u-district. it's small, cool, littered with cafes and wi-fi spots up and down the ave (university way aka the ave).

Big picture for a big school... UW is a city. Between staff, faculty, undergraduates, and graduates there are 60,000 of us. We have our own police department, hospital, zip code and it's a mile walk across campus. Don't be fooled by idealistic talk on admission pamphlets. As an undergrad you'll be anonymous, you'll be in classes with (literally) 400 other students, you'll get shoved through the hoops by advisors. Your voice gets drowned out in a crowd. In a nutshell, the UW is a giant research factory driven by prestige and $$. Some good points: - rigor and intensity are valued - excellent lecturers - you're in Seattle - strong medical and technical research - there's lots of $$ floating around (this is perhaps more of a con than a pro, though)

The UW is a great school to go to. The professors are terrific and the educational opportunities are endless. We rank number one in the medical field and fisheries among other departments at the UW. The teacvhing staff is to be commended. Most have education from Oxford or a related college so the students at the UW are getting the best possible education. Classes are tough but the learning can't be matched for many different areas of discipline. Morale at the UW is high. The ethical code at the UW is held to the highest regard and is followed through if something happens. Security is good and most times if a report is filed a followup happens. Not only that but the students get an update on whatever happens on campus. UW is a great school!!

UW is a big school, there's no way around that. With 40,000 undergrad alone, it's easy to feel like a tiny fish in a massive pond. The campus itself is big enough, though, that it makes the school seem far from overpopulated, in a paradoxical kind of way. The campus is truly beautiful, with an expansive quad and winding boulevards. In the springtime and early fall students cover the lawns, playing hackey sack, frisbee, studying, or just enjoying the sunshine (while they can, as it tends to rain a LOT in Seattle). Immediately parallel to main campus is the heart of what is called the "University District" and "The Ave," which centers around University Way. There are tons of boutiques, ethnic restaurants, and fun shops to get lost in.

A hugely diverse school. It has classes in almost any topic of interest you could ever want, and many of them do not require you to be in-major to take them. It has an incredible amount of libraries that range from totally silent to pretty casual that allow you to really study the way you want while still being close to the knowledge you need. There is coffee EVERYWHERE (good coffee, too)! There is just as much rain as you may think, but it is nowhere near as bad as you might guess. There are a TON of people! I've run 10K road-races with 40,000 people in them, but there's just something vast about all of them going different directions at the same time during passing periods!

There's a lot of mainstream thinking here. A lot of the students are young(and there are a lot of them) and the teaching staff a bit sparse. I undergraduate library is a joke with it being a social area instead of a library. A lot of the students seem to wear the same thing, act the same way, etc.; one knows they just came from high school. They all seem to follow the rules and do what they are told, but once in a while a bright light flickers from somewhere on campus. As an older, returning school the place seems a bit juvenile to me. I wish there were more graduate students here. Maybe I'm just jealous because I'm not a perfect student.

I would like to change the Red Square because there is too much cement and it is awful. Otherwise the whole campus is very nice and well curated. I spend most of my time in the Librabry and my office. I don't know if there is a lot of pride here....things around me make me think yes, but I have no idea about how much. I will always remember my toefl test because it was useless, I spent a lot of money and I don't think is a way to test if you know english or not. I study literature and during the Toefl test I had to read a lecture about the "breathing apparatus" of fishes. it is true. What can I know about fishes??

When I walk through the beautiful campus to class, my decision to go to UW is reaffirmed on a daily basis. I never feel like it's too big of a campus and I always see plenty of people I know on campus every day. There are so many different kinds of people that go here that you can be totally yourself and be accepted at UW. There are so many great places to study on campus-- from the quad to in one of the many libraries. The Dawg Daze that the UW holds for students (especially freshmen) during the first week of school is great. The UW has a ton of great programs and fun, free events to go to all the time.

I like Washington for its acedemics. I did not know how great the school was till i visited. UW is known for is medical majors and especially its own hospital. I have found people to be some what opening but the people here arn't the same as those back in Hawaii. I get along with most people here but the way they were brought up is very different. I would change the food plan because it is so expensive. Especially if someone has to pay out of state like me, i pay almost 35,000 a year to come to school. I get the lowest meal plan but i still don't use it up and then if we don't we just lose the money.

The best thing about Washington is that there are so many possibilities and opportunities. It has excellent faculty, and many of the programs are some of the best in the world. There are a lot of students, so it's easy to make friends, and there's always something going on and something to do. Seattle is a fantastic city, and the University environment is great. It is a large school, but everyone finds a place in it. It also has a great international environment, with a number of faculty, staff, and students from all over the world, and there are a huge array of study abroad programs and funding.