University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

This school is big eniugh that, whether you know exactly what you want to do or are only sure about the general direction you want to head in, the sheer size of the community will expose you to so many new opportunities and cultures and mentalities that, the school itself can direct you. The number of experiences available here ot interact with your subect and not just study it is fantastic. This is a place for academically-driven, environmental, curious, energetic, culturally-interested students, as well as those who just want to nail their studies with a reputable research institution.

There is no specific type of personwho should attend this school. The diversity that persists on campus is edivent in the different clubs, organizations, and programs offered throughout the campus community. The University of Washington is a very prestigious school. but the accolades mean nothing without the students who provide the university with the opportunity to flourish as an institution. Different beliefs, backgrounds, and motivations fill this school. Anyone is welcome because different and opposing views are greatly appreciated to understand what is really going on in the world.

Any one who wishes to engage in meaninful learning. The campus is filled with bright professors who actively engage the students thinking and stretch our learning beyond the text book. Not only that, but the students contribute to each others learning because active participation in classes is encouraged. Although the University of Washington is a large campus, you'll definately create great relationships with both students and professors alike. The UW is also located in 'the big city' so there is always something entertaining and fun to do, after studying of course!

To attend the University of Washington you definitely have to be very dedicated to and focused on your studies, you must have a passion for learning and getting involved with your academics, and you have to be outgoing in meeting new people and making new friends. The great thing about attending a university in such a large city is there are so many different opportunities and so many different people. The diversity on campus is almost overwhelming, but it's definitely something that adds to the experience of meeting new people from various backgrounds.

There are two general students at UW: motivated and complacent. The person who succeeds and enjoys the fruits of the what the school has to offer has to be motivated. The school is overwhelming populated with eager students, that one must be willing to go above and beyond what was required just to make above average grades. One can also be complacent and go into the school, get their degree, and in what seems like a few month they have a resume with just a degree title. The school has so many opportunities, that only a motivated student can enjoy.

The UW is a school for people who are eager to learn and don't mind sitting in large classes when the need arises. The opportunities it offers in education, career paths, and even personal hobbies are boundless and exciting, if you're only ambitious enough to take advantage of them. The student body is large enough that there is nobody to hold your hand (as is the practice in high school). The better you are at adapting to new scenarios, remaining open to new ideas, and applying yourself to your studies, the more successful you will be!

People who want to attend this school should be very self-motivated, confident, and willing to work incredibly hard because (1) the classes are either huge (so if you don't go, nobody will notice) or they are small (and the teachers don't care if you go), (2) There are a lot of students here, so without confidence you tend to feel a little bit lost in the crowd, and (3) everyone else is here works incredibly hard, so there is usually very little curve in the classes.

Academically motivated, wants to do research in their field (particularly if planning to attend grad school), ready to deal with an overwhelmingly large campus in a very urban environment. The lower level classes tend to be huge, whereas the higher (300/400) level courses are smaller (30-40 people vs. 500-700 people) and summer courses are usually small and taught by grad students. Be prepared to work very, very hard but it will be extremely rewarding in the end.

UW is very open and diverse, and almost every type of person could find a home here. In general, due to Seattle's overall attitude, impatience and aggression usually do get you very far here. It is a very communal school, where students tend to help each other rather than behave in a cutthroat manner. Professors and TAs make themselves very accessible with open office hours, and encourage all students to visit and become more involved in the educational process.

The kind of people who attend this school seem to be very independent and outgoing both academically and socially. Many of the dormatories especially are quiet most of the time and require those living there to really take the extra step if they want to find friends. However, the people living in these dorms seem to like it because they can focus on their studies more easily without having to pack up and head over to the library all the time.