University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

Often times the professors design exams to have low averages, so even "doing well" on an exam still results in a fairly low score. Also, study materials for exams are often extremely limited, so most study material is limited to lectures, homework, and the textbook, which in most cases provide little preparation for the actual exams, which often demand extraneous knowledge. Also, courses are designed to be extremely difficult in order to keep the majors they're required for competitive, so it is frustrating to see years of hard work come to naught because of the high work load.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Washington is the recent increase in tuition, housing, and dining fees coupled with the cutting of programs and courses. The UW recently cut its mens' swimming program, and is offering fewer course options than in past quarters. As a student, I have also been asked to fill out a few surveys that ask questions along the lines of whether I would prefer to see a dramatic increase in tuition cost or a decrease in the education opportunities I am provided. I feel that a University should not have to make that choice.

The lack of student willingness to make friends. I have struggled with making friends, coming from a caribbean - muslim background, its hard to find people accepting of me. Most students I run into are white or asian. I feel out of place in class, just because I am different and people aren't that sociable in class... and I have tried attending on campus events to make friends - and people tend to stick with their clicks and it's difficult to get people to be receptive. People are just too busy with class work to make new friends I guess.

The University of Washington is a large campus; with a population of 40,000 students, which makes it difficult, to determine what you want to major in. Often, it is difficult for advisors to look at your individual circumstances in order to help you determine what classes to take and what major you should pursue. However the University provides many opportunities for you to make a smaller community on such a large campus. Determining what you want to accomplish helps you discover who you need to talk to in order to complete your goals.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Washington is the current state of financial aid. Since the state has been cutting funding drastically, the school has been forced to increase tuition to unprecedented levels while offering less and less financial aid. Because of this, students like me are put in a dilemma as more often than not, the small income earned from part time jobs and loans are simply not enough. If there was one thing I would change about the University of Washington, is I would make it more affordable.

The most frustrating thing was that this school is extremely reluctant to close during bad weather. It doesn't snow much in Seattle, but even with the roads covered in a solid inch of ice after an ice storm, UW refused to close and most students could not show up for class safely. I think the UW loses money from research grants for every day that it is completely closed, and that may contribute to its reluctance to do so. Still, I was pretty furious at what I saw as a choice students were forced to make about their safety.

The most frustrating thing about my school is working on group projects with other students since it is all online. It makes it a lot harder to communicated with other students across the globe. We have made it work through the use of conference calls, discussion boards, emails, and wikis. Currently I am working on a project where four students have to write one paper. To accomplish this task I setup a wiki so we could work on the same document and see the changes others are making. This has worked really well so far.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Washington is that since it is such a major research school, most of the professors who teach the 100 and 200 level classes of math and science don?t really care about the students. They are focusing on their research, so getting a good professor to teach in these classes is nearly impossible. Most of the time, you have to rely on your TA for help or find some sort of outside tutor, which can be difficult. I wish the professors cared more about the students' success.

The most frusterating thing about my school is that it is very quiet during the weekends despite being a very large campus. The amount of activities that are available during the weekend are relatively low, which I believe leads to more students drinking alcohol. My friends and I are also frustrated with the fact that students must have a dining plan if they live on campus. I believe this allows the school to have lower quality food available because they will make the money regardless of student satisfaction.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there are limited to no scholarships for out of state students. I feel that the out of state students are paying a lot of money to go to such a great institution however there are not very many options for scholarships or financial aid compared to Washington residents. The residents' tuition is significantly less than those of out of state students. I just wish that there were more options and opportunities for the students who are paying for school out of state.