University of Washington-Seattle Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Washington-Seattle Campus

Kyla

UW is a very diverse and forward-looking school that values inclusion, progression, and action in the face of some of the world's greatest issues–from healthcare to climate change. The large institution is represented by not only its beautiful environmental backdrop, but also by the enormous amount of extracurricular opportunities, resources, and courses offered. The culture is both one of anonymity and individualism as much as it is of community and togetherness. However, while the possibility UW holds is empowering, it is also overwhelming, sometimes bordering on excessive. The culture can be toxic and competitive in terms of majors–as a seemingly outdated, intense major application process is still used to maintain strict capacities–and this method of regulating students' futures runs very contrary to the usually open and limitless nature of UW itself. Even so, UW is not just an institution but an experience for students to discover things that might have once seemed impossible.

Sandy

The University of Washington is a great school to attend! We have a diverse student body and staff, especially in the UW School of Social Work. The professors are always engaged and willing to meet with students outside of class to make sure students are receiving the best education possible.

Heather

The campus is truly amazing! The beauty in the architecture and the natural surroundings is astounding. Students come from places around the world to study here. There are some top notch professors and some that are just okay. With the U district and Seattle right here, there is always something to do when you have a little free time . Overall UW, is the BEST!

Tyler

I love the University of Washington. Its a very hands on school with plenty of opportunities. Sometimes it can feel more like a graduate school and sometimes a lot for undergrads to go through but once you make it past the hump its totally rewarding! It has a great student life, sport involvement and enthusiasm (GO DAWGS!) , facilities, location, and so much more. It's a fantastic school :)

Regina

Through my four years at the University of Washington, I had noticed that the campus is artistically appealing. The old buildings, the ever so colorful trees, and the clean facilities truly make me believe that the campus is cared for. I do believe there needs to be much work on the campus as it is growing so fast, and the lines for the restroom, food, and other services make it hard to enjoy being on campus for reasons other than class. I think the off-campus housing is separate from the University, but the off-campus housing is questionable. Perhaps a better deal than the on-campus housing in terms of price but it is Seattle after all.

Kaylani

I love UW. It has become my second home. I love all of the opportunities the campus has given me, from academics to social life to setting up my career. Although with such a big campus, it is easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of things UW has to offer. But finding that one great program, club, or organization just for you makes it so much more satisfying.

Kelsie

I love love love the University of Washington! The campus is beautiful, the classes are challenging enough to make you push yourself, and most of the students are very involved in the school. It is my first year here and I am super excited to spend the next years here as well!

Katlyn

Overall, The University of Washington is one of the top schools in the country regarding, social life, academics, research, and on campus facilities. There are many opportunities for students, through internships, clubs, and on-campus jobs. However, improvements could still be made to class size and tuition cost. Luckily the University of Washington offers plenty of scholarships to minority students.

Veronica

The campus is beautiful, particularly in spring. I loved walking in the Quad when the cherry blossoms were in bloom. Around Greek row is quite loud, especially during football season, as many Frat guys follow the band in the streets at night singing along.

Madeline

Love, love, love this University! I have had no problems with any of my professors and all of my TAs have been fabulous. The food in the dining halls could be better but dorm life has been awesome so far. I have met so many people my first year here and usually feel pretty safe on campus considering the Seattle area around me isn't always the nicest place.

Kory

My overall opinion of University of Washington-Seattle Campus is that it is very competitive and great school. There are multiple types of communities one can get involved with that match their interests or ideals, as well as finding life long friends and mentors. The Sport scene is huge here Football and Basketball are all the rage and you can for sure expect a good time. Classes can be overwhelming but the more you advance in a major, the more personal classes become and you will learn a lot regardless of class size. Faculty and facilities are always available and open for students take advantage. UW is a fantastic school where a newcomer can learn a lot about themselves and world around them as well as tailor their college experience to their own liking.

Alex

While it may be a big campus, there are many opportunities for everyone to make a smaller community and find people who they can relate to. The opportunities that are offered at UW Seattle are boundless, and for the most part, people really care about you and wanting to see you succeed. On top of rigorous and challenging academics, the social capability at UW is vast, and can help you build a strong network wherever you go. For me, UW has been a place where I've seen my friends celebrate their success as they get closer to to achieving their dreams. It has become a place for students to achieve their passions and continue to dream on, and I couldn't be happier to have watched all of my friends, as well as myself grow throughout my years being here. I often find myself wanting to go to or just be around the University district, as I have fallen so deeply in love with the school. It is such a privilege to go to such a prestigious school, and I couldn't think of anywhere else to call my second home.

University of Washington is hugely variable depending on what part of campus you live on, what your major is, who you associate with, et cetera, simply because it is such a huge campus with so many opportunities available. West Campus has very nice (but expensive) dorms that are less social; North Campus has less nice, less expensive dorms that are much more social; the Greek System is typically pretty nice (in terms of living conditions) for sororities, but less desirable for frats.

Mikaela

You have to be a certain kind of student at the University of Washington. It is very fast-paced, very crowded, and most students are so intensely grade-focused and there is so much competition at the school that they don't necessarily want to be your friend. You're competition. It can be hard if you are not academically driven and if you don't handle pressure well. Classes, especially for STEM majors are rarely under 200 people, move very quickly, and sometimes it takes 15 minutes to get across campus to your next one when you only get 10 minutes. However, the UW has so many extra-curriculars, events, and clubs to help make the campus seem smaller, and to get your mind off your busy schedule if you happen to find the time to take a break from school. The school spirit at UW is among the highest I have ever seen, and it truly is a treat to be able to be a part of the UW family if you can hack it.

natalie

It is a very good school with thousands of opportunities. However, you must be proactive and not get lost in the crowd. Be confident and you will do well :). I really enjoy it here, and have learned a ton about myself and important subjects such as psych, Spanish language and history. Seattle is a great place to live too. It's expensive to live here if you're not in school so school is a great time to do it!

Daria

I think the academics are great and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved with whatever you may be interested in. My biggest concern lies with the safety of the area surrounding the campus. I have seen so much crime and it doesn't seem like there efforts to reduce that.

Nick

The University of Washington is quite a large school that has an exceptional atmosphere filled with numerous of academic and extra-curricular opportunities. Another great aspect of the University is that it has the #1 hospital in the state right on campus. And did I mention the ongoing research! The UW is the #1 funded research university in the nation. This allows for you to get involved rather easily, and who knows, you could be a part of the next great discovery!

Olivia

Udub is a gorgeous campus with plenty to do, you just have to make a concentrated effort to meet people. The academics are rigorous, but manageable- Udub is great about offering different resources for studying. There are plenty of research, internship, and job opportunities through the university as well.

Agata

Growing up in Washington, I have learned to become familiar with the University of Washington Campus. Thus far, it has exceeded my expectations, and I am thankful for all of the opportunities that the campus provides. The new North campus housing is a wonderful community with a 10-minute walk to University Village, our local shopping center. The campus itself is consistently being renovated to further provide a wonderful experience for the students. Campus police are readily available at all times, so each student can get to where they need to be knowing that they are safe. I am truly excited to continue to study at the University of Washington for the 2020-2021 academic year, and I am so grateful to call this campus my home!

Thalya

Having lived in Washington all my life, I was one of those students who always praised UW as a great school but secretly hoped to go somewhere else for college. Due to financial considerations, I ended up at the UW and am so glad I did! Generally, the professors I've had have been very good at teaching; however, if I felt that a particular professor wasn't explaining something very well, I always felt comfortable attending their office hours. Additionally, TAs are generally helpful, and if not, there are a lot of study groups such as CLUE, the writing center at Odegaard, and the Math Study Center. All in all, there are a lot of academic programs that are meant to help students get caught up in class. Academically, UW is really top notch. Not only are there 100s of majors to choose from, but there are also many research opportunities in almost any field. Though some may prefer a small school, the large student body of UW really makes one feel like opportunities are limitless. If you're looking for a smaller community, however, I encourage you to apply to the Honors program which offers really interesting interdisciplinary classes that help make your education feel like a liberal arts education. The campus is absolutely beautiful and Seattle is a great city to live in. I will say, though, that the U District is not too safe at night, so be careful; however, the campus itself is safer. Overall, my experience has been great. If you are an in-state student, the tuition is going down! Don't ignore UW simply because it's close to home. It really is a world-class university with many opportunities to offer (many clubs, study abroad, research, etc.). The Seattle culture is really chill and generally students are really open to helping each other rather than being overly competitive.

Mark

I enjoy how its close to the city of Seattle, Seattle U, and how it is a scenic and beautiful campus to be on. Lots of stuff to do there and plenty of people to meet. The teams are very competitive, and the atmosphere is inviting. I can't wait to transfer to this school when I am done with my two years here at EdCC. UW is a school that is of a high prestige, I can expect students and teachers to hold each other to that expectation.

Hillary

The most beautiful place to be. The atmosphere is very professional. Everyone is there to gain knowledge and do what they love. The absolute best part is the Harry Potter Reading Room (Graduate Library). That place would inspire me to be like Hermione Granger.

Jason

The University of Washington is overall a very good school to attend, though some majors are particularly competitive, especially the sophomore engineering classes. Though tough, most of the professors are very willing to help students learn and want students to do well.

Joseph

Racist students at UW. These huskies lash out at the slightest provocation. In real life dogs are very aggressive if untrained, so the mascot tells it all. You learn here quickly to be silent and learn from those who were more senior in time and experience. Also the math and computer science majors are way too competitive. Even physics is now 'competitive". The architecture department has numerous 6 credit classes, upper division math classes have 3 credit classes instead of 4-5 credits, and the astronomy department requires you to complete 3 weed-out physics classes unless you hapen to have taken AP Physics C Mechanics AND Physics C Electromagnetism.

Walker

The University of Washington is fun. Wasn't that hard to get into (but I am white so that helps a lot) speaking of which, it's not that diverse here. The sports here are fun a lot more people can participate at the next level than they think. Heck I walked on to do track and field here. Classes are sweet, not too hard, not too easy. You should room with a friend from high school if you can, just to make sure you don't have a weird person freaking you out. Pretty easy to get a on-campus job, nice way to start building up a fortune.

Aniyah

Academics are rigourous! A bit hard to make friends if you don't already know people on campus. I am a commuter and it is not as hard as people claim it is. However, it is hard for me to be involved on campus, especially since one of my classes end after 5pm and I work two evenings a week. There are many clubs and oppurtinites, but they chose times that favor on campus students.

Caryl

UW- Seattle is a pretty big campus in size and population so it may seem really intimidating especially for first year students. However, there are plenty of ways to make it feel smaller. There are a lot of clubs and programs to be involved in. The professors are always there to help you out. Classes are academically difficult so you do have to put in effort to pass. There are some easy classes out there that are fun to take. Overall, UW is a great campus with awesome people.

Alisha

Overall, my experience here at the University of Washington has been very positive. There are so many organizations and clubs to be a part of, and everyone is accepting. It is nice how much of a diverse student body we have here on campus. Other than the great people, there are also so many different places to visit off campus. There is shopping entertainment, etc that is very easily accessible, either by bus or subway.

Iris

Univesity of Washington is an excellent university filled with resources to help students succeed in their college journey. There are countless of extracurricular activities (i.e. clubs, organizations) students can join depending on their interests and they are all extremely inclusive. What I love most about UW is their dedication and passion in guiding students' success - there are resources available for almost everything. Whether you are struggling with an academic concern, a mental/physical issue or seeking guidance with sexual assault or gender identity, UW ensures their students are treated well and fairly. The community at UW is also beautiful, everyone goes out of their way to make sure everyone, no matter their background or differences, feels welcome and safe. University of Washington is an amazing university and I am glad I am part of such a welcoming, beautiful community.

Felecity

There is an edgy vibe anywhere you go around campus. Buildings are very old but give off a feeling of comfort. The campus is beautiful even though Red Square can get a bit slippery when wet. And it's honestly, almost ALWAYS wet. The newer housing is nice but the older housing is a bit questionable.

Cindy

I've had enriching experiences in the classes but the system isn't great. I don't feel like the administration staff really care about me and the overall university body seems to prioritize money over its students and teacher assistants. There are also ridiculous fees every single quarter.

Paige

I love the University of Washington! The academics are the campus is beautiful. Professors and Teaching Assistants are very helpful and really understand their area of study. In addition to great academics, UW has a great social environment and well established sport following. It is very easy for students to join clubs and recreational sports at UW.

The University of Washington feels like a small town inside of a big city. Everyone has places that they frequent and sections of campus that feel like home. Although it is one of the largest campuses in Washington State, someone you know is always close. This sense of community is key to academic success and is one important reason why UW provides such a strong education.

Julia

University of Washington may not be the friendliest campus, but hey, that's the city of Seattle as a whole, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more beautiful campus. Science, math, and engineering are particularly emphasized on this campus, and with multiple big employers like Google and Amazon in the city this can only be a good thing. As long as you don't mind starting out with 800 people in a classroom, you'll get some of the best teachers, including lectures from nobel laureates, and have plenty of opportunities to learn and grow at every corner.

Katherine

I really enjoy the University of Washington. The campus is close to the city of Seattle, and is easily accessible using the student U-Pass. However, it is far enough away to feel like its own city. I love walking the campus because its beautiful, especially in the springtime when the cherry blossoms are out!

Billy

The UW Seattle Campus is a large school with many resources. I recommend going there if you have a clear idea of what you want to do and clear career goals. If not, then don't go there because it is easy to get lost in a campus as big as UW Seattle. STEM courses are particularly large and competitive.

William

A beautiful campus rather spread out but courses for a given major are in close proximity to each other.

Jack

University of Washington is fantastic, especially for computer science. It is in a great location for the tech scene and attracts some of the best students and faculty in the country. It provides an incredible amount of opportunities to grow and learn, and the weather is fantastic.

Kay

The UW has a wide range of activities, resources, and opportunities in the area. They are very accommodating of personal hardships, individual student goals, and skillset improvement and building. The faculty cares a lot about their student's improvement and growth in terms of emotional and educational attainment.

Te-Hsin

When first arriving University of Washington, I felt a bit lost due to its large campus and class size. As a result, I started looking into clubs and sororities and fortunately, there are an ample of opportunities here for students to get involved. Students in the campus are also mostly friendly (there are a lot of international students). Overall, University of Washington might be the place for students who want to make connections and participate in different activities!

jasmine

The University of Washington is an outstanding university. Coming to the University of Washington was very intimidating because I am from a small community in Yakima. But the University of Washington does a great job of making their students feel like they belong here.

Roshani

My overall opinion if the school is that it offers a lot of opportunities, but you have to pursue them yourself, since it's a huge school. You can definitely find your niche here, and really be successful. It's also very beautiful, and there are lots of greenery, buildings, etc.

Catherine

It's a great school with lots of opportunities. There's plenty of chances to get involved in student government, various clubs and events, and so on. It's fairly safe, and the people here are nice. The staff here are generally very accommodating, and the buildings and campus have a friendly atmosphere. I'd definitely recommend it for people who are looking for an academic challenge in a welcoming environment!

Mariah

When I first visited the campus I could feel the positive atmosphere it had. Walking around students seemed intelligent and focused on academics. The University of Washington is a school with spirit and pride. The academics are phenomenal and there is so much extra available help to receive.

Jasmine

The campus is beautiful, and I know plenty of people that go there to know that it is a great school. UW offers many opportunities for students to further their education. It is also a very competitive environment, so be aware. The size is a bit big, and I've heard that classes can be huge. Aside from all that, it is known to be a great school.

Angelica

I love the school atmosphere! Everyone is so friendly and willing to accept each other. The staff is also wonderful. So understanding, and most actually care about how students are doing! It’s a great feat for a university, and I applaud them for how clean and pretty the campus is.

monica

The University of Washington is a huge famous and its really hard when first starting school to get involved because there is so much going on. Honestly it's a little overwhelming at first but if you get involved with different things on campus and find ways to make the campus feel smaller its really great. The classes are challenging but some classes are very big, so if you like to have a one on one with your professors its probably not the best learning environment for you. UW is a great school, but you have to be accountable for yourself. You aren't going to enjoy it if you don't force yourself to get involved on and off campus.

Emely

My overall opinion of the University of Washington-Seattle campus is , it's an education unlike any other. Once you have been accepted to UW, it's already a big accomplishment. Being able to be called a husky, attend class, walk around campus with fellow huskies is a privilege. There are plenty of other students who wished to be in our spots but did not get accepted. The University of Washington has a diverse and friendly staff/students. It's a huge campus with lots of ways to get involved.

Christina

I was a former student of UW, transferring elsewhere with a change in major with no fault to the school, per say (a death in the family motivated a change). It's competitive (in the competitive majors) and it's good and hearty for those who thrive in such an environment. People are friendly, the staff are available given their hours (I've been informed that some colleges don't have instructors with office hours at all and I am appalled). Some classes are just a tad big where you become anonymous in a sea of students and are just about irrelevant to the professors unless you come to them for person-to-person interaction. My experience at the college was rather bland. There's plenty of opportunities, I will say, for it to be otherwise. There are so many extra-curriculars! I know that the physics department had a great community and were hosting get-togethers time to time and I always loved attending Batman's Kitchen when I could. In the two years I was here, though, I was merely friendless and the large population that was ever shifting between my classes made it hard for me, personally, to connect to anyone substantially. My only reservation with this school is when you fail to obtain a spot in a competitive major. They have 'pre-major's that allow you some access to certain classes, but they don't guarantee your spot in the actual major you intend on going. The advisors will try their best to prepare you for alternatives, but it's disheartening for the stubborn when you're delegated off into something else. My friend, who was in a similar situation, now advises others not to bother if they get into such programs. "Get into the department," She says, "If you don't, don't bother." Moreover, she's had a situation where the general advisor told her she wasn't their student (despite her no longer qualifying to go under an pre-engineering advisor's wing). I was told by another advisor that I was some or so years late if I wanted to switch into a different program as it took a certain amount of years to complete (I don't find time an issue - I will take as much time as education needs. Hearing this made it sound as though they wanted me to graduate ASAP and it finalized my decision that this school would not align with my interests going forward with a major-change). Moreover, there seems to be a problem with individuals who fail to get into their chosen major and end up stepping back into other competitive majors to compensate. This results in limited spots being taken up by students who don't really want to be there. I have met maybe the one professor who didn't seem to quite have everything together. For the most part, however, I have met many professors and instructors who are extraordinarily amazing at what they do with a passion towards the community and a passion towards teaching. It's a good school with its ups and downs. Wasn't the school for me. But, it's a good school.

Christiana

If you are looking for a school that is in an urban area but feels like you are in the woods, this is the school for you. The Seattle area has plenty of things to do during the week and weekends. Additionally, the campus itself is gorgeous and full of life.