University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

Nicholas

The campus itself is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The entire campus has no public roads running through it and is also walking space. The campus is full of "green space" which helps create a more "relaxed" feeling on campus. Every class is taught by the professor, not by T.A.'s. The professors are super easy to get ahold of, and respond in a reasonable amount of time. While the on-campus food is slightly disappointing, the dorms were a fun place to be last year despite COVID.

Madison

It is a well run school, but needs new head administrators. Absolutely love this campus

Mirra

I love the university because it is a very focused area. The campus has no commercial roads running through it, and all of the buildings are within 15 a minute walking distance from each other. The campus is very green and the grounds are kept very well maintained. Currently, they are working on renovating all of the original buildings one at a time to bring them up to speed with current structural expectations for comfort and efficiency. There is a new recreational building they are building in order to have more space for intramural sports and other fitness activities. Another aspect I love about the campus is how active it is, there are always people running or biking or playing a sport together in the open green spaces. I am very happy with my decision to attend here, and I have no regrets choosing La Crosse over the flagship school for the state.

Grace

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is a great community and campus to start my new adult life. I have met great friends, students, professors, and people in general. The buildings are great for classes, studying, or finding someone new to talk to. There are new opportunities all of the time to get involved around campus. I have gotten involved with some clubs and group fitness classes at the rec.

Katrina

UW La Crosse is an amazing school. The atmosphere is extremely friendly and welcoming. Not only are the academics and opportunities outstanding, but the campus is beautiful. The bluffs make the La Crosse area an amazing place to live and attend school. I highly recommend visiting our campus if you're ever in the area.

I personally really like the campus of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. I wish the food in the dining hall was better but overall the campus is very nice. Building are updated and teachers are easy to reach. Campus atmosphere is great, there are always people outside doing something and everyone is very inclusive.

Thomas

Great school with great people. Extremely fun students with parties almost every day. There's always something to do and you'll get a great education with small class sizes and some of the best professors in the area.

Sydney

I really like it here, everyone is super nice, and there is always something going on. You can tell that the professors care about you and how you do in their class, therefore, they are always willing to work with students in order to make themselves available. There are also lots of opportunities for tutoring and peer reviews for almost every subject. Plus, the downtown is within walking distance, and there's always something going on there too!

Madelyn

Only having gone there for a year, I would say that the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse holds up to the stories told about it. There is always something to do downtown throughout the day, whether or not it's bar hopping or just walking down near the river and sight seeing, you'll always find something. As for the academics, there's a reason it takes everything you've got to get in. The introductory classes and specifically weed out classes to see whether or not you're really going to fight for what you want and get to where you want to be in the future. There are a lot of opportunities to get your foot in the door in your desired career, you just have to find them though or brown nose up to some people in order to get them. All in all, La Crosse is a beautiful campus with a competitive atmosphere.

University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is an outstanding school. I just finished my sophomore year. I took the last semester off, so getting back into it was a struggle but my advisor and the staff were extremely helpful in the process. There are just so many opportunities to excel there.

UW- La Crosse is an amazing school. The campus and surrounding area is absolutely beautiful. If you enjoy the outdoors, the bluffs and marsh are right next to campus and easily accessible. Class sizes range from 15-50 with a few general lectures that are 100 or more. I really enjoy the smaller class sizes. The professors are extremely knowledgeable and excited about their job which makes it a lot easier to learn. I love the natural atmosphere and smaller size of UWL's campus. It makes us feel like our own community while still getting the city atmosphere if you head downtown.

UW LaCrosse is the perfect stepping stone school for people who are looking for a place to start. A lot of people seem to transfer to bigger schools after a year or two at LAX, but some people stick around. By far the best thing about the school is the class sizes (most no larger than 30 or so, with the exception of intro classes) and teacher availability. The worst thing about UWL is probably the drinking culture, and that it's nonstop. For some people though, that doesn't bother them at all.

Nichole

When I first was looking at colleges to attend I didn't really know what I was looking for. I didn't have an "ah-haa" moment, but this campus made me feel at home. I enjoyed the outdoorsy and athletic atmosphere. I also appreciate the challenges my classes have given me. My time in the dorms was in Eagle Hall, one of the newer ones, so I feel very privileged in saying I had an amazing experience making friend's that first year. Overall, I would encourage future students to take a peek, especially if they are science-minded.

Jori

La Crosse has a beautiful campus when the trees are turning, or the flowers are blooming, during the winter it gets a little sad. There are a lot of places you can be outside, plus the scenery around is wonderful. We have the marsh which has trails to run or walk or whatever, but also the beautiful bluffs which you can climb up or walk up or drive up. The overall feel of the campus is an average amount of contentedness. The professors here are GREAT, but the students are pretty cut off unless you're the average "basic bitch" of "fuck boy". This university has a lack of diversity problem, so if you are a person of color, we have safe places, but the overall campus is not one.

Justin

This school is great for someone who wants to be near people but enjoys their alone time when they need it. Classes are very close to the residence halls and the professors are often times in their office even if they don't have office hours. Walking downtown, going on a bluff hike, and playing basketball are the best ways to enjoy your free time.

Alexa

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is the perfect sized school. Class sizes are never larger than 80 which leaves for ample one on one time. Professors try and get to know you because they want you to succeed. The campus is all very close together and feels like a community. All of the buildings are either newly remodeled or in the process, so they are very nice. Overall, the campus and education system is fantastic. There are so many resources you can use in order to achieve the grades you want. The community of La Crosse is very accepting of their college students. There is a lot to do outside the campus. The bluffs provide great views from campus and great hiking and outdoor activities. The marsh is also close to campus which has trails to run and hike on. The city of La Crosse is beautiful and very safe and welcoming.

I couldn't be happier with UWL. La Crosse is fun--there is always something unexpected going on--and you can never run out of things to do. The student body is very active...the REC is usually busy, you see people running or biking everywhere, and students love to go hiking in the bluffs. The views in La Crosse are stunning and full of character, from the top of the bluffs to downtown and Riverside Park. For the most part, everyone on campus is friendly. There's a lack of diversity, but a lot of cultural awareness events on campus throughout the year that teaches students to be more understanding and accepting. Overall, it's a beautiful campus where you can have a lot of fun.

Kyleen

I really have loved my time at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The classes have been very good and my professors have been very approachable and have always gotten back to me in a timely manner. The class sizes are great which allows us to get to know our professors. I have been able to do a ton of things near campus and my overall experience has been really good. The only things that I would change involve housing and food. The dorms are getting kind of old and the bathrooms are disgusting, but most college bathrooms are. Sometimes the food is hit or miss. Having more fruit options would be good. Other than a few minor critiques, I have loved my time at La Crosse!

Abigail

Love it!

I Love it here at UWL. The campus is the perfect size and classrooms are great because the professors take the time to know you. The campus is close to downtown which has many shops and restaurants so there are always things to do. The students here are also very inclusive and welcoming.

Kavan

pretty neat school, not too shabby. the young adults here do a great job and all of the students are very pleasant to be around. I enjoy the activities there are. the new buildings are great to be inside. the air conditioning is a very nice addition to the main lecture halls

I really like the independence of being four hours away from home and at LaCrosse with the friends that I've made it's almost like a second home. The professors are approachable for the most part, there are plenty of classes to really spread out your interests, and the website is navigatable with a search bar to make it easier as well. I feel like I am being challenged as well as safe in my classes (and I take at or near max credit loads every semester). I appreciate the campus itself for the layout of the buildings and sidewalks; there's a lot of green-space and you can easily cut through buildings if it's raining (definitely bring rain boots). There are plenty of jobs and activities available on and around campus to get involved in. And it's ranked the top public University in Wisconsin!

Sahee

The University of Wisconsin of La Crosse (UW-L) is a beautiful campus that allows its students mingle with others with its various activities. There are many on-campus clubs, and many student organizations run a myriad of events from free movie nights to a winter formal dance. UW-L doesn’t have the greatest athletic teams, but we still watch them do their best (Go Eagles!). Off-campus there is the marsh, the river and the bluffs for your viewing and walking pleasures. Student IDs allow students to use the city buses, making transportation easy if someone wants to stop downtown or go to a certain store. In the classroom though UW-L excels. Class sizes are generally not that large and usually just a slightly larger size than high school classes. Professors actually bother to know your name and easily are contacted by email and through their office hours. Faculty from student organization administrators to academic advisers really care about their students, and offer and want the best experience for their students.

Bayly

I was hesitant on making the decision about where I wanted to continue the next four years of education. I am very indecisive so I wanted to feel absolutely confident in my choice before I actually committed to a school. The first time I stepped on campus I was in awe of how much I loved it here. The campus is all together, meaning I don't have to take a 20 minute walk like some of my friends that went to Madison just to get to one of my classes. It takes me a total of 8 minutes to walk from one side of the campus to the other, which makes professors, classes, and friends more accessible. Not only did I fall in love with the campus set up but also the many majors LAX has to offer. Even if you are undecided, the advisers and faculty here are very helpful when you are trying to determine who you want to be. I feel like I'm not just a number here, I'm a person. I would recommend the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse to anyone that is looking for that "homey" feel and believes that having a close relationship with your professors is important.

Kristina

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is an overall great school. It is known for having good academics and many different clubs to join. The campus also plans many events on the weekends, so there is always something to do. Not only that, but the people are all very nice and friendly. I just finished my first year and I can honestly say that I can't wait to go back!

Addison

University of Wisconsin- La Crosse is a definite Wisconsin school in the sense of a huge drinking culture. This school is a party school and, in Wisconsin, can only be topped by Madison. If you can't go downtown to drink, you can walk into a random dorm room and probably find some alcohol. While the party culture is huge, students do know when to separate partying from academics. Every student works hard, and each student needs to because of the rigorous courses that the school has. The school has an amazing outdoor culture when it is warm out too.

Kaleena

I believe this University is a well kept facility with a variety of activities and academic options. It's probably best that you come here if you're focused in some sort of science, however. Our arts is a little underdeveloped. It's a very safe campus and I love the community surrounding it. However, diversity is a bit on the low side.

UW-L builds students up to reach their full potential through the staff, culture, and student life. The professors hold frequent office hours and will meet with students by appointment if necessary. We have many services available for students to reach out, including resources for diverse students and staff, veterans, and non-traditional students. Sports aren't very big at UW-L, but there are many options for intermurals, clubs, and varsity sports if you're interested. Otherwise there are a ton of other clubs and activities for different majors, the arts, and pretty much anything else you can think of! Overall it's a great school to be at! There is a party scene, but it's all off campus and can be easily avoided. There are many on campus activites all week to take part in instead and there is a mall, movie theater, and tons of restaurants nearby. UW-L is an awesomes university with an opten staff, room for everybody, and an involved student body.

I believe that this campus provides a great college experience for everyone that attends, but what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. There is no lack of activities, but you must be willing to put yourself out there to find where you truly fit in. I think the academic portion of this campus in phenomenal. The staff really does care how you are doing in your classes and more often than not, if you reach out to them they will help you. I think they could greatly improve their food services. I now understand why the dreaded "Freshman 15" happens to so many of us. The food never lacks salt, butter, or grease. Moving on from the negatives, I think this campus offers a very community based setting and they want their students to enjoy the time they spend here. All in all, I would not have wanted to spend my freshman year of college anywhere else.

Shay

UW-La Crosse is a very welcoming campus and everyone is so encouraging and supportive! I love that there is so much international diversity, sport participation, and many variations of activities! With all of these aspects, it is so easy to learn about other cultures while having fun.

Zachary

I think It is the perfect campus for someone that wants a very good education and a smaller class size. La Crosse is a D3 school to it is smaller than D1 powerhouses like Madison. La Crosse also has some beautiful bluffs off campus in which you can hike or drive up and get a breath taking view of the city. Overall La Crosse is a tight nit community with various clubs and a lot of educational resources. Lastly I can't forget the food. There are so many food options I couldn't eat them all in a day and thats something I really enjoy.

Merissa

I'm glad I picked the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse for my undergraduate. They have a variety of programs, clubs and help each student to figure out the best educational path for them. Not only is the university have a great atmosphere but the city of La Crosse has a variety of natural beauties such as Grandad Bluff, Myrick Park and Riverside Park next to the great Mississippi River.

Kathleen

I absolutely love it here :)

Kaitlyn

It's a great campus, very welcoming and inclusive, and has a lot of good resources if you need help academically, related to mental health, or otherwise. The scenery is great, and La Crosse has a ton of great shops and restaurants within walking distance. Overall, it's a great environment.

christopher

With the beautiful bluffs surrounding the campus, there truly is no wonder why many people choose this University to be their home. There are numerous things to do such as biking, hiking. fishing, walking, swimming, and many more. There is a well knitted community where there is a little bit of everything. There is the down town area with more night life activities but there are also peaceful and quiet areas near by. This University is very diverse and accepting in fact while walking around you are greeted by both familiar and non familiar faces. There are countless activities one can get involved in whether its clubs, sports, social events. This University really hit the " home away from home" feeling and is ultimately why I have decided to spend many years continuing my education while pursuing my dream in the near future.

Molly

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is a great college. There are so many activities to do and things to see in the surrounding area. The campus is very safe and is small enough to get places fast. It is a very pretty area and makes me feel at home. The academics are really good they push you to be better. Professors are always around for you to get help with your studies. Overall I think the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is a great place to be.

poet

There is a lack of diversity on campus. But the campus is a great community. It's compact and easy to get around. There are a lot of great opportunities to get involved on campus or in the community. There is also always someone who is willing to help you succeed.

Britt

Trust me, you can do better than La Crosse. First of all, The La crosse campus is notorious for their awful dorm rooms. They're incredibly small, there is no carpet, the beds are very uncomfortable, there is no lighting on the ceiling (only over the two mirrors), and the bathrooms are just disgusting. There really isn't a "common room" on each floor, so it's very difficult to make friends. There is nothing fun to do near campus so you'll get pretty bored on the weekends. You might get lucky with some professors, but a lot are very condescending and unhelpful. You might be leaning towards this school because of the bluffs and "beautiful" campus, but there is nothing spectacular about the campus. The view from the bluffs is just old neighborhoods and dead grass, it's not worth going up there. The food isn't bad but there isn't a lot to choose from-you'll be eating cafeteria food most days. Luckily I'm transferring next year, but don't waste your time here like I did. For a better experience and education just GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Tyler

I really enjoy the campus and the life around campus. Going into college I was a worried incoming freshman that had no idea what to expect. This campus has made the process from transferring from high school life to college life must easier. I am very grateful that I chose this university over others that I was accepted into.

Halligan

UWLAX, as we fondly call it, is a great school and city to receive your education. If you are looking for a great education at a reasonable cost, then La Crosse is definitely for you. Alongside being affordable, La Crosse offers great facilities even though they are a little aged, but you will more than likely need to invest in other food sources besides the campus dining. Otherwise, this is a great campus with year-round recreational activities available to all.

UW-La Crosse is a great school for a number of reasons - the academic staff/administration, the opportunities, and the overall culture. For starters, I cannot say enough about the academic staff and administration on campus. They go out of their way to help students, they make themselves available as much as possible, and they are always looking to be on the cutting edge of culture, curriculum, and creativity. The Chancellor - Joe Gow - has been monumental in improving campus life, from getting more diverse food offerings available to students on more restrictive diets (religious, vegan, vegetarian, etc.), to working towards banning unhealthy habits like smoking on campus to promote student health, to getting new facilities approved so that aging buildings can be both updated and replaced. He's also pretty hip - playing in a band, running distance races, and joining the students at athletic events and in the community whenever possible. He's not the type of administrator to sit behind a desk, which makes UW-La Crosse both a unique school and a great place to be. But it's not only the administrators that go above and beyond - the professors do as well. There are no associate professors, only fully accredited and educated professors in their chosen field, and each puts students first. They offer a variety of traditional and completely unique courses that allow for exploration of interests, and furthering one’s own personal curiosity. They also make themselves available to help, and respond promptly to student concerns and issues. For example, I had experienced an issue with my credits getting mixed up due to a changeover in the software used to store student information, and was alerted while I was studying abroad that I would no longer be able to graduate early. Unable to go to the registrar's office to fix the issue, I emailed a professor - Susan Crutchfield - who went completely out of her way to assist me with it. She communicated directly with the registrar's office and acted as an intermediary for me on my behalf, making sure everything was resolved before I came home. I will never forget that! The teaching and learning that is also occurring on the campus is second to none – the professors are knowledgeable and teach using effective methods and tested curriculum, differentiate their learning, and offer office hour tutoring for those that struggle. It is challenging, but rewarding, and I credit UW-La Crosse with my love of learning and teaching! The opportunities offered at UW-La Crosse are vast and varied, and are part of what attracted me to this campus in the first place. They offer club sports ranging from the typical (Basketball, Volleyball, etc) to the more exotic (Equestrian, La Crosse, Rugby, etc.) and everything in between. This allows for sports enthusiasts of all ability levels to compete or to find friends with similar interests and participate in multiple ability levels. The REC department offers planned outings, a weight room, a rock climbing wall, Racquetball courts, fitness classes, and equipment rental from kayaks to skates. The classes are just as varied, with typical English 101 courses and foreign language, to more unique things like Archaeology of the Andes and Psychology of Aging and Death. As with the REC department, textbooks are rented, and returned, free of charge, a wonderful opportunity for those who struggle with cost and are looking for ways to save on their college experience. There are also even more opportunities on the campus itself, from coffee shops hosting live shows (bands, comedians, etc.) to restaurants offering all different options, and from charity events and dorm life events, to famous speakers and presenters open to the students to attend. They host street parties with live music, the dorms each have a traditional gathering (luaus, street dance, haunted house, etc.) every year, and there are fun runs and national sporting events held on campus. The community and surrounding landscape hold even more opportunity, with the hiking, beautiful nature trails, golf courses, Mississippi River, lakes, and a thriving city center on either side, there’s no end to what one can take part in, see, or even do. And finally, there is the culture. UW-La Crosse is a diverse, welcoming, open space that supports, encourages, and promotes all races, religions, identities, genders, abilities, and sexual preferences. There is a feeling of community and openness promoted by the staff, the residence life officers, and the campus leadership, who put forth the effort to promote everyone and everything. There is an International week that celebrates the exchange students and offers foods, cultural experiences, and other opportunities to learn and grow in your global awareness as well as gain friends from all over the world. These students even have their own office so that they can always have an advisor and a place to go that can assist with the unique situation they are in. UW-La Crosse has an LBGTQ office and promotes a culture of acceptance and safety for students of differing preferences and sexual identities, as well as support for issues including bullying or depression. Students are encouraged to be themselves, to explore their abilities and interests, and no one is turned away for any reason for any activity, and no one feels left out. It is a wonderful culture to experience and be a part of as a student. To put it simply – the University of Wisconsin La Crosse is ideal in a lot of ways – a beautiful campus, varied offerings, a knowledgeable teaching staff, an excellent administration, multiple opportunities, and the kind of culture you wish was more prevalent in the wider world. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a place to grow, explore, learn, and feel at home!

Julia

I really love my university. The class size is just right for me and there are continuous activities.

Kavan

La Crosse is a very nice campus, Plenty of activities to do on and around campus. The athletics are better than some of the surrounding colleges. The campus appearance is very beautiful and all the classrooms are close enough to each other to get around in the winter and stay mostly warm. Class sizes are a little bigger but the atmosphere is still very positive and active.

Noah

I think that La Crosse offers a variety of opportunities for just about everybody. There are the downsides of this campus just like every other campus; such as certain professors, food, and weather. However, in my humble opinion I believe that the good outweighs the bad. The people are almost always friendly, and if you ever need a helping hand, people are always looking to help. The scenery is incredible, and the classes are mostly interesting. if given the opportunity, I would choose La Crosse all over again.

Amber

I believe the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is an excellent undergraduate option for people coming out of high school. There are many activities for students to partake in, and the community is extremely welcoming. I cannot express how friendly everyone at this University is, and the education is exceptional.

Sarra

I love going to school at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The professors are wonderful as well as the class sizes. Not only is the school great, but so is the surrounding community. Having the bluffs, the marsh, and a lively downtown nightlife scene really gives you the whole package in the city of La Crosse.

The University of Wisconsin Lacrosse provides a warm and welcoming experience. Students are active, the campus recreation center is busy all hours of the day. I love the atmosphere, the school is great if you want to live in a college town but not a big city. I highly recommend this campus to everyone.

I am currently a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse. We are a little over a month into school and my experience so far has been great. I feel like everyone is so friendly and professors are sincerely invested in the success of their students. For example, in my lecture hall of about 94 people, my professor addresses students by name. I love the campus and can confidently say that I have the necessary resources in order for me to succeed in school, sports and life.

Cylus

I love La Crosse it is a fun and great school to attend. The bluffs are a fun place to bike and hike. There are also many club sports and activities so it's easy to stay active. The campus is small and easy to get around. The only thing I don't like about La Crosse is the cold weather! Brrrr! But this past year I was on an exchange through the NSE program which is a pretty fun thing to do if you want to get away from the cold for a little bit!

Sharon

The minute my campus tour ended at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse I knew this was the school I wanted to attend. I was so certain that I didn't even bother to apply for other colleges! Within my first two weeks of attending the school, I found a warm and active community. There are a variety of clubs, intramural, sports, and countless activities at the Recreational Center. Along with things to keep you entertained, the class sizes make it so easy to stay involved in class and getting to know a professor has never been an issue for me. As far as food goes, the Whitney Dining Hall isn't exactly 5-star but they provide a wide variety of options and there are MANY other places like Erbert's and Gerbert's, Einstein's Bagels, pizza places, a smoothie shop, and other places on campus that you'll never get bored of. I found a home in this school and a family in the community; The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is an amazing place to be.