Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Elyse

The school is quite large with a lot of diversity!

The school is quite large with a lot of diversity!

Going and visiting the colleges and sitting in classes is a great way to get a feel for the classes. Make sure you are on top of what you want to do and be your own advocate!

The best thing is that there are so many people and everyone is friendly.

Kim

On the surface they are hard-working with laid-back personalities. Work hard, play hard. However, many of the students are afflicted with what I call "sophisticated-hippie syndrome" . They like to use big words to preach about open-mindedness and the right to make your own choices, but if your choices are different from theirs you aren't allowed to make them. For example, if you choose not to binge drink and have casual sex every weekend you are quickly labeled as a stiff who never wants to have fun. Never mind having different political views or faith.

Breath, don't rush into your decisions. Look at a few schools; find out what they have to offer, find out what they lack. Don't be afraid to look outside your comfort zone, don't be in to big a hurry to get away. If you don't know what you want to do, don't panic. If you do know what you want to do, keep an open mind. Find a balance between work and play, you need both. Take one class every semester that you look foreward to, regardless of whether or not it counts towards your major. Don't do anything you'd be ashamed to tell your children you did in your wild youth. Listen to what your parents have to say, even if you don't think you'll take their advice. Don't forget old friends, don't be afraid to make new ones. Live in the dorms your freshman year and leave your door open, it's the best way to meet a variety of people. Be nice to freshmen when you are a senior, you were one once. Help when you can, get help when you need it. Pray every day.

For me, it has been being pegged by the administration by my race. I was automatically enrolled in a program that expected you to fail and had mandetory meetings for freshmen and their advisors. My freshman year my advisor did not even bother looking at my transcript before telling me I should sign up for trigonometry (I had already completed AP Calc in high school). My sophmore year I recieved a new advisor, who put a hold on my records (preventing me from signing-up for classes) because I had failed to meet her for my FRESHMEN meetings! It sucks!

Meg

I would say my classmates work hard then play hard, and while some can be irresponsible about it, taking the "play hard" motto too far, for the most part it makes for a challenging academic life and a fun and relaxing social atmosphere.

My advice when choosing a college would be to consider more than simply the academics. How close is it to home? Are you going to want to go to a college where all of your classes are filled with hundreds of people? How do you feel about teaching assistants? Though, I have to say, I think the most important advice I can give would be to say it's okay to be completely freaked out - that's normal! It may seem like every other freshman has everything all figured out, but they don't. And really, we're in college - we're ALL confused and stressed and a little bit lost, but that's the beauty of college! You can explore and have fun while surrouned by people who are all trying to figure out what they want out of life just like you are. So freak out! Be confused! Explore different subjects and classes! Just don't forget to enjoy the ride, because it will be over before you know it.

What I find frustrating is the overwhelming feeling that your best may not be good enough. There is continuous pressure to maintain a good grade point average, but one "B" can make it drop alarmingly close to a 3.0. In addition, students feel the need to be involved in as many things as possible, volunteer, get a prestigious internship, and all the while stay afloat in schoool work. It's enough to stress out even the most multi-tasking gifted of students.

Alex

UW-Madison's size lets me have much more control over social situations. By having so many people around, I'm never stuck with one group of friends, but I can make campus as small as I want it. Another thing its size does is give students an incredible range of available courses. There is something like 4000 available undergrad courses, so I'm never really confined to my discipline.

Don't worry about it. Work as hard as you can (or need to) so you can get into the school of your choice, but there's no need to stress . All that really matters in the end is getting an education in a good learning environment -- the specifics of different schools can seem pretty desperate, but you only need to go by general categories. To be honest, there's not much difference between Michigan and Wisconsin: they're both huge public schools in the midwest. Just like there's really not much to seperate Harvard and Yale or Kenyon and Emory. So long as you can achieve a general fit (small, urban, whatever) and attend the appropriate program it really doesn't matter where you go. Education is a consumer brand, but to focus on the brand name is to miss the product itself.

Students who need to be in an environment that watches out for them -- Madison can be very 'sink or swim'. There's plenty of help available for whatever you need, but you have to ask for it. People who really want small lecture sizes should avoid, many underclassmen courses are huge with a minimum of 17 students per discussion group. Lastly anyone who can't deal with long, cold, snowy winters shouldn't even think about it.

Maggie

They are very heavy drinkers, but also very academically focused to the point where they will give up everything else in their lives to just focus on school to be able to do well.

Find what you want to do in life before making your choice on the college you want to attend. You wouldn't want to go to a college that doesn't offer what you want out of life.

Madison is a school where i know that i can come out of there with an amazing education and be able to get any job i would want. It's an amazing school.

I would advide students seeking a college experience not to limit themselves to the comfort of going somewhere near to home and or friends. I decided to go out of state for school because of what the school and city had to offer me and my own interests. In doing so I have been stretched in ways I had not foreseen and have become a better and stronger person in the process. My best advice would be to follow your dreams. What makes you excited about life? Follow that passsion and find the best road/school/city that will enable you to spread your wings and really learn and develop your particular skill or passion. The rest will unfold naturally, just be brave enough to take the first step! Lastly, don't let money issues get in the way of going where you want to go for school. Paying out of state tuition hasn't been easy, but I know the things I have learned along the way have been worth every penny. So follow your heart and do what you love, because if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life!

anyone could attend this school and find a place to fit in. it is so large, diverse and accepting of all types of people.

Someone who is interested in growing and stretching their ideals and outlook on the global community. someone who is driven and not afraid of diversity and loves culture. music artsy people for sure.

Asha

My school is fun, contains very school-spirited students, who are involved and have a passion to suceed in whatever field that they choose.

College visits are helpful but not always necessary if you do enough research. Size and type of school environment matters a lot when it comes to your success. Students need to know what they are looking for when it comes to the type of school they are looking for before they start the application process. Choosing a school is very much like making a new friend. There are places that you can see yourself doing better than others simply because you match up better with your personality. Some schools are more quiet and simple while others are bold and boisterous. It just depends on what fits you best.

The interesting cultural classes that I'm enrolled in, example African Storyteller. The social events hosted at school buildings that feature sororities or fraternaties of minority groups that involve dancing. They tend to be fun and bring minority students together. I came from a majority white community so it was a new and exhilirating experience to attend UW-Madison and have a multi-cultural campus to be involved in, even though they are still the minority at Wisconsin. I enjoy being a part of the different social groups and attending the events. It is very educating.

Anne

Take your time. When you visit a campus, don't focus on the school and what programs and departments it has. That is important, but its not what you are going to remember about your college experience. Stop and take a look around, and see if its a place where you could see yourself. Is it someplace you can picture studying? Somewhere you can live, make friends, learn about yourself? School is obviously the most important part of the decision, but don't forget about the other things. Don't be too decided on who you are either, because a lot can change in four years. Give yourself room to change, and pick a school that will allow you to do so. When you get to college, get involved. Not necessarily in school sports or clubs, but in other people and places around you. Study hard, but have the most fun possible. Don't miss out on your life.

Someone looking for a small school, someone who doesn't approve of alcohol use. Wisconsin works studies hard, and parties hard.

That not everyone who wants athletic tickets gets them, and its pretty expensive to go to games.

Sonya

While we may have winter madness, the four distinct seasons in Madison are amazing. I love its position between two lakes. Another great thing is how amazing the research opportunities are.

I wish I had known that the cost of books were so high so I could plan better financially.

Tour schools again after you get accpeted durring the school day -- you will instantly know which one is right for you!

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.