Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Bree

The Campus and School spirit are amazing. If I could change the weather in the winters, that would be it. The school is just right. Coming from California, people thought my choice of choosing Wisconsin was random, but upon visiting they are proved wrong. I spend most of time either studying in Helen C. Library or at the Terrace, playing water polo for the UW team at the SERF, or on State Street or Langdon on the weekends. This is definetly a college town, i would say the best college/sports town in the country. Ive never had a problem with the administration, and not much controversy. School pride is huge...GO BADGERS ...My father went here and I grew up loving this campus, I come home and I seem to have had the best college experience out of most of my friends going to schools more locally in California.

Very liberal and accepting. I dont feel anyone will feel out of place as long as they give new people and environments a chance. People wear anything from sweats and a t-shirt to a spring dress. Just depends, i prefere the t-shirt route. Yes, people interact everywhere. The four tables of students in a dining hall would be, jocks, sorority girls, the other two tables would be mixes of all the above. Most Wisconsin students are from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Chicago. Middle class is common. Students are very politically aware and predominantly left. Students all hope to make a lot of money.

Its all cows, hicks, farmland, cheese, and milk.

Some of the most popular groups include Greek Life, Sports, and WASB. Im on the UW water Polo team and I've established many friends through there. I am also involved in a sorority where I have met all my best friends and spend most of my time with them on the weekends. I lived in Southeast Dorms, Witte and absolutely loved it (minus the fire alarms) Most people kept their rooms open and our floor was really close. Athletic events are everything here! I haven't attended many guest speaker events or theater. The dating scene, at least for freshman year is about 25% 75%...25% go into long term relationships while most hook up. I met my closest friends in the dorm and through my sorority. If im awake on tuesday at 2am, I am either studying or procrastinating because Im with friends on the floor talking. Traditions includee Halloween on State street and Mifflin (the last weekend to party in spring). People party Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I usually pick one or two nights to drink so i'm not completely exhausted to study and catch up on homework for the week. Greek life is about 10%, if your in them many of your connections and associations and parties are within that community, but you can easily be in other communities such as sports or dorm friends. You can have an awesome social life without being involved, and if you are involved its your choice on how involved you want to be. Typical weekends we go out to fraternity parties or house parties with friends, then end the night with Ians pizza. Saturday nights without alcohol you can go on state street to dinner and a concert. I didnt really do much off campus, but you can take the bus to malls or downtowns.

If you go in to office hours, professors will know your name. My favorite class so far would either be Sociology, Philosophy, or Journalism. My least favorite were science courses. I study pretty much when i'm not in class, eating, or playing water polo. Yes, class participation is common but there are always those students that dont say anything. People are intellectual both in and out of class, and its cool to know that almost everyone is smart, even when they are the craziest drunks on the weekends. Students are very competitive. The most unique class i've taken was Nutritional Sciences. I am applying to the School of Journalism, where I will be studying P.R. and Advertising. Wisconsin's academic requirements, while tedious at times, will help you with basic knowledge and a wide range of areas to know a little bit of everything. Education is both towards getting a job and learning along the way. Work hard play hard...

Andy

Nothing beats Wisconsin sports - badger games are fun, energetic, social, and all in all a great time. The teams are great, and the crowds are even better. The grateful red is unmatched

The student body is active in everything, from politics to sports to academics to human rights to volunteering to fraternities/sororities to clubs. There are endless opportunities to be active in something that you are passionate about.

students do indeed "party hard", but also are extremely competitive in their school work and study extremely hard - we like to follow the "work hard, play hard" plan. the student body is extremely active in both local, national, and world-wide issues.

Class sizes vary from huge to tiny - some lectures have 600 kids, while others are in small groups of 20. In particular, many of the general-ed classes are large, as many students take them. But as you become more specialized in your major, the classes get much smaller and personal. Also, many of the large classes are supplemented with small discussion sections that allow for more individualized learning. It is nice to have a variety between big classes and smaller ones.

There is always something going on on campus. Free concerts, sporting events, movies playing at the Union, political debates, charity events, and many more. And almost everything is contained on campus. Within a 20 minute walk, you can go to an art museum, attend a rock concert, find a house party, run a charity 5k, see a hockey game, and sail on Lake Mendota. A person with any hobbies or interests can find something they enjoy, and other people to enjoy it with.

Gretchen

My favorite thing about UW-Madison is the large, beautiful campus. While some smaller schools may have 5 major academic buildings, the UW has close to 200. This may seem overwhelming at first, but I loved the variety of architecture and scenery it provided. Many prospective students are concerned about the time it might take to get from one class to another, but the actual areas where most undergraduate classes are located are not too spread out. I rarely had to walk more than 10 minutes to get from one class to the next, and more commonly 5 minutes was enough time. The campus is also unique because it is on Lake Mendota, surrounded by trees and nature, and also melts right into downtown Madison and the Capitol Square. Looking back on my experience at UW-Madison, the beautiful campus is truly my favorite memory.

Most students come from Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Chicago suburbs, but I have also met many people from New York, New Jersey, and California, and a few from Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina. From what I can tell, most students' families would fall under middle class, but this definitely varies. Most students are white, but there is a very active Multicultural Student Center for students who want to make connections with other students of similar nationality. 3% of the student body is international. There is a stereotype that UW students are very liberal, but I would say that more accurately UW students are very involved, no matter what their political beliefs are.

I was a little afraid to go to such a large university when I first made my decision. However, I loved the fact that I could walk around campus and run into people I knew, without the campus being so small that I knew everybody I saw. I would consider myself only moderately involved on campus, yet by the time I graduated I was amazed by the number of people I knew and friends I had made. It's incredible how many people I know now that know other friends of mine from completely different circles. I never meant to network - somehow it just happened. :)

They can be - Wisconsin is a very large school and there is definitely a large drinking scene, but there are also lots of other opportunities to get involved and meet people that don't involve drinking. I wouldn't let this stereotype deter you from choosing Wisconsin, it is only one aspect of the wide variety of social activities available and it can be as big or as little a part of your college experience as you want it to be.

Academics are challenging at UW, especially since so many students at UW were from the top 10% of their high school class. However, while I may not have gotten A's in every class, I have never come across a class that I felt was too tough to handle. Lectures can be large during the first year or two of college (many introductory classes are 100-500 students), but these classes are always taught by professors and then broken down into additional discussion sections of 20-25 students. Teaching assistants often lead the discussion sections, but they do not teach new material. In my experience I have had wonderful TA's, and discussion sections are a great chance to ask questions if you don't want to ask during lecture or go to the professor's office hours. As you choose a major and your classes become more specified, class size decreases significantly. My smallest class was 8 people (French), and my typical class size for the last 3 years of college was probably 25 (Kinesiology department).

My biggest advice for meeting people on campus is to live in the residence halls your freshman year, and make a point to introduce yourself to people and leave your dorm room door open when you're home. During the first week of school students love to pop into each other's rooms to say hi and get groups together to eat dinner or go to a Wisconsin Welcome Week event. This is the easiest time to meet people and make friends, and if you keep to yourself too much at the beginning of the year it can be harder to make friends later on. There are over 700 student organizations on campus, and it only takes 3 interested people to start a new one, so feel free to get as involved as you want to!

Nico

The drinking and partying, there's alot of those. and there's also alot of lecture halls (which i hate, ill rather just attend small classes). since its a big school, theres alot of kids. The lecture halls ill change, and more diverse kids, there isnt alot of diversity. Its actually a pretty large school. When I tell them i go to Wisconsin, they are all like, what's that! some didn't even know where wisconsin was located (you know im from the east coast). I spend most of the time in my dorm, sleeping or hanging around, i dont really go anywhere. Yeah, it is like a college town and bike town too. theres a lot of people with bikes. The administration's ok, i dont really know much about it. The biggest controversy was like 2 or 3 killings or something like that, with some phsyco kid. There is ALOT of school pride. The frequent complaints are like the wheather (it STINKS!)

The student body is not diverse, AT ALL. (so yeah, there you go). But whatever, i guess theres alot of like greek stuff (but im not really into that) and clubs or whatever but the people are pretty cool i guess. The funny thing is, is that you can like tell pretty quickly (and prob effectively) whose like rich and whose not. The "coasties" (which are ppl. form the coast of the US) are stereotyped as rich, stuck-up and like living in all the private dorms. While everyone else i guess are resident of wisconsin or other midwest states. i guess you can see the truth in it but yeah, theres always gonna be exceptions. blacks, ppl. of color, and ppl. that like diversity and/or has always lived in a place of diversity would feel out of place b/c of the sheer number of non minority kids that attend the school. most students wear like the schools color, hats, slippers, boots (especially during the winter), sweatpants, shorts and stuff. its a pretty casual place. most of the ppl. of color hang around with each ohter, i guess b/c theres not alot of them to go around. most wisconsin students are from the state itself (b/c its a public school), most prevalent is like middle class, but you can see a great deal of high class that goes to the school (especially in private dorms and stuff). students are pretty politically aware and active. predominantely they are left (ALOT of liberals). Students dont really talk about how much thell earn one day (but i guess it depends on who u hang out with)

I guess, but there actually is a lot of variation of different cheeses here in the school

There is ALOT of lecture hall classroooms, and I need more one to one attention, I dont really like that whole lecture feel. My favorite class was soc 125 (Contemporary American Society) but only b/c i liked the professor alot (he is by far my favorite prof.). Students study FAR much than i do, its not so much of a big deal for me. Class participation is not so much common. I find that im like the only one participating sometimes. lol. Some kids talk about that but not much do (about intellectual stuff). It is pretty competitive (since everyone's like busy studying and what not). Im majoring in Economics and International Studies (w/ a concentration in political and economic policy). I dont spend time with prof. unless i REALLY need it. the requirements are stupid. what the hell is like a quzzillion science requirements when i HATE science. Yeah, im not really a fan for that.

greek life is SO overated! (in the school, i mean for real.) Students in dorms do leave their door open. the footaball games are such a big deal in the school. If i were awake at 2 am, i would prob. be watching something on tv and eating pizza. kids party every night here. you CANNOT do anything on saturday night that does not involve drinking. PERIOD. this is a drinking school. forget about it.

Brianna

The best thing about Wisconsin is Game Day, the whole city is filled with crazy fans wearing red and supporting the Badgers in every way. There are cookouts up and down the streets, people throwing parties, people in body paint, etc. Madison was even named the greatest college sports town in America by ESPN.

There are groups to support every affiliation, race, and gender on campus. No one should feel out of place at Wisconsin because there are so many people. The students are predominatly left but there are quite a few right wingers as well. Most of the kids are from Wisconsin and Minnesota but there are lots of kids from all over the US and many other countries.

If you want them to be. Wisconsin is diverse and big enough that you find whatever you are looking for out of the college experience.

Classes are really big and it's hard to get to know the professors. You have to either be ok with that or go to office hours. Personally, I like the anonymity of classes because its not a big deal if i miss a lecture here and there.

There are so many people and a million different student organizations there's no reason you should ever feel alone or left out at a school like Wisco. Even better- if there isn't a student org for your interest you can easily start one! Different dorms have different reputations as far as sociability is concerned. Generally Southeast dorms are known to be the more social dorms whereas Lakeshore is more quiet and studious. Madison is famous for its annual Halloween party but my favorite tradition is the Mifflin Street Block Party that is held the weekend before finals begin every year. Its basically half of the student body having a great time and enjoying the last days of spring (and sanity) before finals begin. There are plenty of things going on around campus on a Saturday night that you can go to if you aren't drinking. The Union almost always has some sort of show going on and there are lots of art performances going on year round. Plus there's tons of great restaurants on State Street.

A major stereotype is that Wisconsin is a major party school.

Dale

Wisconsin seemed like a huge school to me - it is a pretty large campus, but classes are relatively small and the campus isn't *that* huge to walk around. There's a bus system, so you could brave that. I always walk to class - the buses are always packed with lazy kids who don't want to walk up Bascom. (Bascom Hill is a huge ass hill in the middle of campus.) Madison, WI is probably the most liberal city in Wisconsin, socially and politically. Madison also has way more to do than most cities in Wisconsin. You can drink, eat, and shop within walking distance to the campus. There's a lot of school pride. UW-Madison is the best school in the state. Complaints: Snow removal was a little sketchy this past year. Classes are never canceled because of weather conditions - although this may change with the selection of a new chancellor.

UW-Mad is a primarily white campus. There's a lot of "activities and programs" geared to other races, religions, sexual orientations and whatever else. I've attended two other schools before going to Madison, and it's nice to come to a school where not everyone wears sweatpants to class. (Ew.) A lot of people seem to take time making themselves look presentable in the morning. Most people at UW-Mad are from Wisconsin. There's a breed of student referred to as "coasties." This means someone who is from the coast, east or west. Wisconsin actually has lower admission standards for students who come from farther away, ie the coasts. Thus, coasties tend to be dumb and are constantly mocked. Don't let this scare you if you're from CA or NY or something: just don't be dumb and try not to tell people where you're from. =) Haha. Like I said, Madison is super liberal. I rarely ever see people preaching jesus or screaming about unborn fetuses on the streets, thank god.

It's about 50/50. There are a lot of parties and a lot of drunks, but there are also a lot of people who aren't completely sucked into that lifestyle. There are some hicks and farmers, but not as many as there are at other Wisconsin schools.

Party school with a lot of drunks. Hicks and farmers.

I'm actually an Apparel Design major - that's not an option select on the survey. My profs and TAs all know my name, but I'm in a pretty small program. For example, if you're going into Psychology, no one will know you exist because every class has like 7 zillion people. (Exaggeration much? You decide.) Most large lectures have discussion sections that have about 15 people, so your TAs *should* know your name. I didn't have to take a lot of the classes Frosh/Sophs have to take - Chem, Calc, nonsense like that, so I can't say too much on those topics. Some people live in the libraries and some people hardly ever study. I feel like students are pretty competitive, but in a passive-aggressive way. Like I said before, UW-Mad is the most academically competitive school to get into in Wisconsin, so a lot of people who go here are pretty high and mighty on themselves because they got a 3.7 GPA in High School. Honestly, I think there's a lot of people here who skimped by in High School because HS is easy. Then, they came to Madison and realized that classes could be hard and that you might have to study.

There's a million events every day, seriously. There's posters up everywhere - if you want to go to a play or an ethnic concert or make crafts on a Saturday night, you'll find something on campus. I met my closest friends by living in the dorms and being in a super small major. I really recommend living in the dorms at least for your first year - it's hard to make friends with people you don't live near. Also, beware that the city of Madison starts renting apartments super early - like, in November for the next school year. So, if you're planning on signing a lease, be sure that you know the people you'll be living with. They could turn out to be psychos and then you'll be screwed. =) One other thing: if you plan on coming to Madison with all your BFFs from High School and living with them, don't plan on making a lot of new friends. If you don't want to branch out, you probably shouldn't even go to college.

Karl

Wisconsin is a big school that makes the city of Madison what it is. There are lots of opportunities for people to do whatever they want and there will be some place on campus where everyone will be able to fit in. The city itself is fun and vibrant and there is always something to do if you look for it.

Wisconsin's student body is so diverse and so large that I think anyone could find a place where they would fit in if they tried. Most of the students are more liberal leaning, as is the city, but everyone gets along just fine.

Not really, there are plenty of parties but there is also a lot of work to get done. Some students drink but plenty do not. It all depends on your choices.

Since Wisconsin is such a big school the professors do not really get to know you during your first few years. All of the discussions are taught by TAs but they are very knowledgeable and I have not had any trouble; they are definitely less intimidating than the professors are. The classes are tough and the professors expect you to be prepared when you come to lectures. Students usually spend 25-40 hours a week studying outside of class.

The weekends of the fall semester are completely centered around football season. The games are awesome and the tailgating before hand come in a close second in terms entertainment. For student involvement the outdoors clubs (Hoofers) are very popular and many students are active in one of the groups within this club. The winter gets a little tougher because the snow and the cold does keep people inside more but it just makes for more opportunities to meet people in the dorms and apartments.

People think that Wisconsin is a huge party school and that all of the students drink.

Alicia

So...4 tables of students...Hmmmm... One will be a group of skinny girls with big sunglasses, baggy sweatshirts, spandex tights, and every kind of expensive electronic gadget imaginable. These are your Coasties/sorority girls. They will inevitably have a cup from Starbucks or Einstein's, and they're very, very clique-ish, and they have Daddy's credit card in their back pocket. They're almost always hung over. Your next group will be girls in jeans with Wisconsin hoodies and tennis shoes. These are your athletes usually. They're not as bad as the Coasties, but since almost everyone here is from the same high school they do tend to already have friends here when they get here. They're usually really nice, and if you have one as a roommate, you'll be fine. The next group will actually be Asian, and they won't be at a table. They're all international transfer students, and they hang out in front of the buildings before/after class smoking Parliament Lights and talking in a language you don't understand. They're also not particularly friendly, and very school oriented. Last, though these may be at the Coastie table, are the Frat guys/jocks/whatever you want to call them. They're predominantly blond and tall and built, and a lot of them are on leave from the Army. They can and sometimes are total jerks, but in general they just drink too much and don't study enough and are pretty harmless. The rest of the population varies. WI is blessed with having a very diverse set of viewpoints, so that even though you may not be a Greek, you'll still find friends. However, it is a lot harder, because 80% of UW's students are from WI, meaning they already know each other from somewhere. If you move here from anywhere other than MN, MI, IL, or IA, you're basically on your own. Students are basically all liberals, and Madison in and of itself is a liberal town. Its not uncommon to see protests and other things going on all the time, and its not something to be ashamed of if you get involved.

In a lot of ways, yes. I live right off of Langdon St, which is basically Frat Row, and there are a lot of girls that are exactly like what the stereotypes say, which is why they're stereotypes. Every stereotype has a basis in fact. We are in a lot of ways on the same level as an Ivy League school, especially with our J-school and our research, so even though we're hung up on it, we do have a reason to be...

Academics at WI mostly depend on who you are. Its a rigorous program, and you have to stay on top of things or you won't make it. (Well, to an extent. You can miss a few classes and be fine. Miss more than that and you're completely screwed, even with your notes.) I'm a Legal Studies and Journalism and Mass Comm major, and both of my programs require that you stay on top of things, especially in the law. You don't have much contact with Professors outside of class, other than through email, but your TA's are always available for contact both through office hours or email, and are always helpful. I've only had two semesters here, but I transferred in from a year at another college, and I haven't had any problems with TA's yet. Class sizes range from 400 students (then split into discussions with 16-18 students), to about 16-20 for a language class. Students aren't necessarily academically competitive, but good grades are an intrinsic part of UW, because the programs require a lot of effort. You are trained on how things would and will work in the real world, though, and classes are usually updated every semester so that you will know what's going on outside the college when you graduate. For me personally the academics haven't been a problem. You do need to study and work hard, but at the same time you can definitely go out on the weekends more often than you stay in and still get things done.

There are a few different ones. Coasties, for example, are the rich East Coast Jewish sorority girls, and Sconnies are from WI (obviously). There's some kind of feud going on with that, but I'm not from around here so I don't know why. Other than that, we're known for being hung up on being as smart and talented as an Ivy League school, even though we're not one. We're also known for partying too much, but that's not a stereotype, thats just fact.

Torry

wisconsin is the most amazing place in the world. i haven't talked to anyone who can imagine going anywhere else for their college career. we legit do feel so privileged and it's hard to understand other people's college careers that aren't quite.. as exciting. the school is huge.. but like i said.. it's impossible to not see someone you know. after about the second year it just seems normal to walk down the street and see 6 people you know in a stretch of 3 blocks.. even though there are like 41,000 people at the school! the more you become involved with.. the smaller it becomes. i spend most of my time at the library..surprisingly. the remainder of my time is spend on the terrace, on bascom hill (in the spring and fall), and bouncing from bar to bar or eating place on state street. it's indescribable. plus.. the student body seems to have a pretty similar mindset on school/party balance.. so people wil WANT to go study w/you by the lake before you go out.. or they'll want to go tan on bascom hill just to be worthless. the town is 100% a college town. it's interesting though.. because the futher down state street and closer to the capital you get.. the older the crowd gets. that's where the upperclassmen and graduate students often get internships.. and where a lot of the jobs after graduation are centered. it's a college town.. but there's opportunity for "adult sprawl " WI admimistration is.. there? i think they're about as good as i'd want them to be.. but i'm a pretty independent person. you can always talk to an adviser and they'll tell you what you want to know. there are a ton of resources on campus.. almost so many that if you just look up what you want on the wisc website.. you might find a club/student org directly related to your question and bypass the administration completely. school pride is rediculous. alumni school pride is even more rediculous. i haven't even graduated yet and i'm already a member of the wisconsin alumni group just so i can easily be informed as soon as i do gradutate!!

Some suggested topics: What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? there's a good amount of diversity and acceptence. plus people can usually find a group to hang out with that shares the same preferences/lifestyles as them.. yet you still are friends with all types of people across the map. What do most students wear to class? sweats Do different types of students interact? YES. wide ranges. especially because we do a pretty good variety of group pairing for classes so you get to know the different courner's of madison's student body There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them. they are all completely mixed freshman year. after that.. not a lot of people eat at the dining halls. ha. --you find your niche. Where are most Wisconsin students from? "suburbs of chicago" ...east coast... california.. minnesota. and of course wisconsin. those together make up probably 95% of the madison population. What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? those from the east coast and from chicago area don't get reciprocity and obviously have to pay the fairly pricey out of state tuition.. so they're generally a little more wealthy. it's a real steal if you're from MN or WI!! jump on that! Are students politically aware / active? yessssss. you can get by without knowing much about politics (me) but there is a huge presence. Are they predominantly left, right or center? madison is known for being pretty liberal.. but i think it's somewhat of a misconception. i think our generation is more liberal than our parent's generation overall.. but there is still a huge presence of conservative outlooks in the student body. i'd say that assuming everyone had to pick a distinct side--left or right--about 35-45% would be conservative. Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? no.

GO FOR IT. TAKE THE PLUNGE. UW-Madison will be the best decision of your life if you let it be.

yes.. but somewhat skewed. we do party--there's on doubt about that. it's kind of a bummer that that's what teachers and parents first think of when you say you're going to madison. the school is TOP NOTCH and getting really really exclusive.. which i wish more people acknowledged than just those who have researched it. i believe we have 4.5 stars out of 5 for achedemics and 4 out of 5 for "social life" a.k.a..partying. another misconception is tha people are so happy with their social life in madison BECAUSE of the party scene. that's completely false. the entire city of madison will light up your life even when you're sober!!! it's so beautiful that it can't even be described--you have to experience it. you always see someone you know everywhere you go.. which i thought would be annoying but it's really comforting. also.. some of the partying aspects are skewed by parents to make the school sound more "badass" and rebellious. one adult said to me, "wow..madison huh? heard you guys are pretty crazy. i heard you actually have a BAR in your UNION!!" ...well yeah buddy.. that's true.. but it's not a crazy night time bar. it's a place where you go to get pitchers of beer and sit out on the terrace with friends in the afternoon or evening to RELAX after a hard day of exams/studying. it's where you sit out in an atmosphere of other carefree individuals in our terrace's signature colored chairs.. and just look at the water and laugh and kick back your heels. i wouldn't consider it an addition to our party scene.. but more an addition to our overall quality of life!

everyone calls madison a party school. says the students are drunks and rambunctious. this is... pretty true.. madison kids know how to have fun. BUT the stereotype usually leaves out how well-balanced we are (for the most part).. in that the library is always packed until 2 in the morning. during finals week.. people don't even go home! the achedemics are intense and the party scene is just kind of a well-deserved reward for all we work for

there are like 700 student orgs. you're dumb if you can't find one you like... or 6 you like for that matter. yes.. students leave their dorm doors open for the first half of the year. after that everyone knows each other pretty well and doesn't feel insecure about knocking to come in. i found that the second part of the year i wanted a little more quiet time being i had already met a lot of people and had a pretty good idea of who i wanted to spend time with. so yes.. open doors are prevelent... i personally had mine open when i felt like it and closed when i napped. athletic events- deservingly popular. football games are unbelievable. guest speakers are really popular too.. but they happen more frequently so there's not as "dense" of a crowd. theater is popular too. probably similar to guest speakers. the union has a lot of free movies offered... like superbad and that recent one w/johnny depp. can't remember it's name. the dating scene. well... there are a lot of cuties on campus. the girls seem to be more concerned with dating than the boys... who tend to have the "college mindset" of only living once. they get more mature though eventually.. i met my closest friends the first year in the dorms (SELLERY ROCKS!!! SOUTHEAST DORMS ALL THE WAY!) and then also through my sorority! i didn't know a single person at WI when i came.. and now have over 500 wisconsin friends on facebook :) it really becomes a small place.. and you meet SOOOOOOOO MANY PEOPLE. if you're awake at 2 am on a tuesday.. you're most likely studying. however.. you might be watching a movie w/friends/boyfriend/girlfriend or stumbling back from the bar. it all depends what your preference is. frats and sororities are as important as you want them to be! i'm in delta gamma and love it ..even though i'd never thought of myself as a sorority girl to begin with. it basically quadruples your network of friends.. how often to people party? thursday, fri, sat are a given... sometime wed... or sometimes just once a week. for the most part you usually are so burned out from using your brain all week that thursday is perfect timing for a little breath of fresh air. there's a lot of stuff you can do besides drinking. like i said.. the union has free movies. the union south has bowling. someone's always in their room playing video games. shopping... ians pizza..

very hard school.. but do-able if you work hard. you can get a lot out of it.. i think my freshman year doubled my knowledge of the world. i had a 4.0 in high school (as did a ton of the people who go here) and getting an A in a class here was almost out of the picture. it's hard.. and i study a lot. to answer the "suggested topics"...: 1) professors will know you by name if you go to their office hours. in my classes of 20 or 30 they obviously did... and in discussion sections the TAs knew our names.. but as for the 300 person lectures--they couldn't pick you out of a crowd. I kind of liked this aspect of it.. but i know a lot of kids who did go to professor's office hours to be on a first name basis with them.. it all depends on what you want to get from it. 2) favorite class was BY FAR women's studies 103. grrrrrrrreat class and i'm not even a feminazi. plus.. it counts as a science credit! PLUS I'D RECOMMEND IT TO BOYS TOO. this is your chance to understand women.. ...plus if you can answer the question "T or F.. women have been oppressed throughout history" correctly... you've got an A. 3) lord. wisconsin students DO have intellectual conversations outside of class. it's kind of sickening how many really smart people there are here. but then.. at the same time they are balanced with the conversations of "DUUUUDE.. did you see the COORS girls promotion outside the grocery store?! lets go get some beer and pizza" 4) studnets are very very competative. almost every school within UW-Madison (school of business... school of journalism... school of education.. etc) is really hard to get into.. so the best of the best are competing once we're in still! 5) most unique classes i've taken? human sexuality, anthropology of religion, career strategies and development, eat for credit (food sciences/tasting), geography of the city.. or geography "power of place"... scandinavian studies- life and civilization 6) i'd say it's split down the middle on whether education at wisconsin is geared toward meeting requirements and getting a job.. or just learning for its own sake. for example.. you might have to write a paper that's 30% of your grade... but you'll get to pick a topic that interests you and actually find the project somewhat beneficial. also a lot of people go to the academic speakers that aren't required for them. and stuff.

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.