Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Jody

The School itself is awesome. You have the lakeshore dorms for people who want the quite and the lake and then you have the inner city dorms that give you an urban feel, yet they are in a 15 minute walk of each other, so you really get the best of both worlds. I only wish there was not as much construction as there is right now, but it will probably always be there. The school is big and their are lots of things to do, one is hardly ever bored at Wisconsin.

The sport spectator assumption is absolutely correct, the events (any of them) are fun to go to and usually there are many other badger fans to sing 'Varsity' with. With the liberal enviroment, I would say that Wisconsin allows protests and street preachers and gay pride pirades to happen, and that's a good thing. It opens up the air for dialogue and free speech to be excersized as it was intended. Not to say that all the students agree with what happens on campus, but regardless of whether or not you agree to it, you are exposed to it and that is what makes the campus thrive and stand out among the others in the state.

We study hard and party harder, are a really liberal campus and simply "accepts everything", and that we are rowdy fans when it comes to sports!

The profs at UW are awesome! All of my profs that I have had really seem to care about me as a student and want to help in any way they can, even though their lecture hall holds about 350 students. If you voice your concerns and tell your prof what you are having trouble with, then he/she tries to help. No questions and judging. It's awesome.

Joe

Hands down the best college town in the Big Ten, and possibly the nation. I've been to many different schools and nothing compares. The entire city revolves around UW and students have so many opportunities.

There are so many different types of students with varying interests. There is a pretty decent sized out of state population, mainly from either the Chicago or NY suburbs.

Best place to goto school in the nation.

No. Wisconsin, especially Madison is an amazing place with plenty to do. Madison is a wonderful city with so many opportunities and events. The people are extremely kind and welcoming.

The caliber of student varies depending on your area of study and many programs are highly competitive. There is not doubt that students work very hard and the library is always packed. If you are going into the sciences, look no further, because UW is top notch. There is more research going on at the school than one can even fathom. They are even in the process of building numerous new centers for research.

The social life is great. We have a pretty decent sized fraternity and sorority scene but if that isn't your thing then there are so many other places to party and go out. The bar scene is also amazing and State Street comes alive at night and on the weekends. Also, football game tailgates can get pretty crazy.

That Wisconsin is all farmland and there is nothing to do. Also the stereotypes of a beer drinking, cheese eating population.

Bree

The Campus and School spirit are amazing. If I could change the weather in the winters, that would be it. The school is just right. Coming from California, people thought my choice of choosing Wisconsin was random, but upon visiting they are proved wrong. I spend most of time either studying in Helen C. Library or at the Terrace, playing water polo for the UW team at the SERF, or on State Street or Langdon on the weekends. This is definetly a college town, i would say the best college/sports town in the country. Ive never had a problem with the administration, and not much controversy. School pride is huge...GO BADGERS ...My father went here and I grew up loving this campus, I come home and I seem to have had the best college experience out of most of my friends going to schools more locally in California.

Very liberal and accepting. I dont feel anyone will feel out of place as long as they give new people and environments a chance. People wear anything from sweats and a t-shirt to a spring dress. Just depends, i prefere the t-shirt route. Yes, people interact everywhere. The four tables of students in a dining hall would be, jocks, sorority girls, the other two tables would be mixes of all the above. Most Wisconsin students are from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Chicago. Middle class is common. Students are very politically aware and predominantly left. Students all hope to make a lot of money.

Its all cows, hicks, farmland, cheese, and milk.

Some of the most popular groups include Greek Life, Sports, and WASB. Im on the UW water Polo team and I've established many friends through there. I am also involved in a sorority where I have met all my best friends and spend most of my time with them on the weekends. I lived in Southeast Dorms, Witte and absolutely loved it (minus the fire alarms) Most people kept their rooms open and our floor was really close. Athletic events are everything here! I haven't attended many guest speaker events or theater. The dating scene, at least for freshman year is about 25% 75%...25% go into long term relationships while most hook up. I met my closest friends in the dorm and through my sorority. If im awake on tuesday at 2am, I am either studying or procrastinating because Im with friends on the floor talking. Traditions includee Halloween on State street and Mifflin (the last weekend to party in spring). People party Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I usually pick one or two nights to drink so i'm not completely exhausted to study and catch up on homework for the week. Greek life is about 10%, if your in them many of your connections and associations and parties are within that community, but you can easily be in other communities such as sports or dorm friends. You can have an awesome social life without being involved, and if you are involved its your choice on how involved you want to be. Typical weekends we go out to fraternity parties or house parties with friends, then end the night with Ians pizza. Saturday nights without alcohol you can go on state street to dinner and a concert. I didnt really do much off campus, but you can take the bus to malls or downtowns.

If you go in to office hours, professors will know your name. My favorite class so far would either be Sociology, Philosophy, or Journalism. My least favorite were science courses. I study pretty much when i'm not in class, eating, or playing water polo. Yes, class participation is common but there are always those students that dont say anything. People are intellectual both in and out of class, and its cool to know that almost everyone is smart, even when they are the craziest drunks on the weekends. Students are very competitive. The most unique class i've taken was Nutritional Sciences. I am applying to the School of Journalism, where I will be studying P.R. and Advertising. Wisconsin's academic requirements, while tedious at times, will help you with basic knowledge and a wide range of areas to know a little bit of everything. Education is both towards getting a job and learning along the way. Work hard play hard...

Andy

Nothing beats Wisconsin sports - badger games are fun, energetic, social, and all in all a great time. The teams are great, and the crowds are even better. The grateful red is unmatched

The student body is active in everything, from politics to sports to academics to human rights to volunteering to fraternities/sororities to clubs. There are endless opportunities to be active in something that you are passionate about.

students do indeed "party hard", but also are extremely competitive in their school work and study extremely hard - we like to follow the "work hard, play hard" plan. the student body is extremely active in both local, national, and world-wide issues.

Class sizes vary from huge to tiny - some lectures have 600 kids, while others are in small groups of 20. In particular, many of the general-ed classes are large, as many students take them. But as you become more specialized in your major, the classes get much smaller and personal. Also, many of the large classes are supplemented with small discussion sections that allow for more individualized learning. It is nice to have a variety between big classes and smaller ones.

There is always something going on on campus. Free concerts, sporting events, movies playing at the Union, political debates, charity events, and many more. And almost everything is contained on campus. Within a 20 minute walk, you can go to an art museum, attend a rock concert, find a house party, run a charity 5k, see a hockey game, and sail on Lake Mendota. A person with any hobbies or interests can find something they enjoy, and other people to enjoy it with.

Gretchen

My favorite thing about UW-Madison is the large, beautiful campus. While some smaller schools may have 5 major academic buildings, the UW has close to 200. This may seem overwhelming at first, but I loved the variety of architecture and scenery it provided. Many prospective students are concerned about the time it might take to get from one class to another, but the actual areas where most undergraduate classes are located are not too spread out. I rarely had to walk more than 10 minutes to get from one class to the next, and more commonly 5 minutes was enough time. The campus is also unique because it is on Lake Mendota, surrounded by trees and nature, and also melts right into downtown Madison and the Capitol Square. Looking back on my experience at UW-Madison, the beautiful campus is truly my favorite memory.

Most students come from Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Chicago suburbs, but I have also met many people from New York, New Jersey, and California, and a few from Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina. From what I can tell, most students' families would fall under middle class, but this definitely varies. Most students are white, but there is a very active Multicultural Student Center for students who want to make connections with other students of similar nationality. 3% of the student body is international. There is a stereotype that UW students are very liberal, but I would say that more accurately UW students are very involved, no matter what their political beliefs are.

I was a little afraid to go to such a large university when I first made my decision. However, I loved the fact that I could walk around campus and run into people I knew, without the campus being so small that I knew everybody I saw. I would consider myself only moderately involved on campus, yet by the time I graduated I was amazed by the number of people I knew and friends I had made. It's incredible how many people I know now that know other friends of mine from completely different circles. I never meant to network - somehow it just happened. :)

They can be - Wisconsin is a very large school and there is definitely a large drinking scene, but there are also lots of other opportunities to get involved and meet people that don't involve drinking. I wouldn't let this stereotype deter you from choosing Wisconsin, it is only one aspect of the wide variety of social activities available and it can be as big or as little a part of your college experience as you want it to be.

Academics are challenging at UW, especially since so many students at UW were from the top 10% of their high school class. However, while I may not have gotten A's in every class, I have never come across a class that I felt was too tough to handle. Lectures can be large during the first year or two of college (many introductory classes are 100-500 students), but these classes are always taught by professors and then broken down into additional discussion sections of 20-25 students. Teaching assistants often lead the discussion sections, but they do not teach new material. In my experience I have had wonderful TA's, and discussion sections are a great chance to ask questions if you don't want to ask during lecture or go to the professor's office hours. As you choose a major and your classes become more specified, class size decreases significantly. My smallest class was 8 people (French), and my typical class size for the last 3 years of college was probably 25 (Kinesiology department).

My biggest advice for meeting people on campus is to live in the residence halls your freshman year, and make a point to introduce yourself to people and leave your dorm room door open when you're home. During the first week of school students love to pop into each other's rooms to say hi and get groups together to eat dinner or go to a Wisconsin Welcome Week event. This is the easiest time to meet people and make friends, and if you keep to yourself too much at the beginning of the year it can be harder to make friends later on. There are over 700 student organizations on campus, and it only takes 3 interested people to start a new one, so feel free to get as involved as you want to!

Nico

The drinking and partying, there's alot of those. and there's also alot of lecture halls (which i hate, ill rather just attend small classes). since its a big school, theres alot of kids. The lecture halls ill change, and more diverse kids, there isnt alot of diversity. Its actually a pretty large school. When I tell them i go to Wisconsin, they are all like, what's that! some didn't even know where wisconsin was located (you know im from the east coast). I spend most of the time in my dorm, sleeping or hanging around, i dont really go anywhere. Yeah, it is like a college town and bike town too. theres a lot of people with bikes. The administration's ok, i dont really know much about it. The biggest controversy was like 2 or 3 killings or something like that, with some phsyco kid. There is ALOT of school pride. The frequent complaints are like the wheather (it STINKS!)

The student body is not diverse, AT ALL. (so yeah, there you go). But whatever, i guess theres alot of like greek stuff (but im not really into that) and clubs or whatever but the people are pretty cool i guess. The funny thing is, is that you can like tell pretty quickly (and prob effectively) whose like rich and whose not. The "coasties" (which are ppl. form the coast of the US) are stereotyped as rich, stuck-up and like living in all the private dorms. While everyone else i guess are resident of wisconsin or other midwest states. i guess you can see the truth in it but yeah, theres always gonna be exceptions. blacks, ppl. of color, and ppl. that like diversity and/or has always lived in a place of diversity would feel out of place b/c of the sheer number of non minority kids that attend the school. most students wear like the schools color, hats, slippers, boots (especially during the winter), sweatpants, shorts and stuff. its a pretty casual place. most of the ppl. of color hang around with each ohter, i guess b/c theres not alot of them to go around. most wisconsin students are from the state itself (b/c its a public school), most prevalent is like middle class, but you can see a great deal of high class that goes to the school (especially in private dorms and stuff). students are pretty politically aware and active. predominantely they are left (ALOT of liberals). Students dont really talk about how much thell earn one day (but i guess it depends on who u hang out with)

I guess, but there actually is a lot of variation of different cheeses here in the school

There is ALOT of lecture hall classroooms, and I need more one to one attention, I dont really like that whole lecture feel. My favorite class was soc 125 (Contemporary American Society) but only b/c i liked the professor alot (he is by far my favorite prof.). Students study FAR much than i do, its not so much of a big deal for me. Class participation is not so much common. I find that im like the only one participating sometimes. lol. Some kids talk about that but not much do (about intellectual stuff). It is pretty competitive (since everyone's like busy studying and what not). Im majoring in Economics and International Studies (w/ a concentration in political and economic policy). I dont spend time with prof. unless i REALLY need it. the requirements are stupid. what the hell is like a quzzillion science requirements when i HATE science. Yeah, im not really a fan for that.

greek life is SO overated! (in the school, i mean for real.) Students in dorms do leave their door open. the footaball games are such a big deal in the school. If i were awake at 2 am, i would prob. be watching something on tv and eating pizza. kids party every night here. you CANNOT do anything on saturday night that does not involve drinking. PERIOD. this is a drinking school. forget about it.

Brianna

The best thing about Wisconsin is Game Day, the whole city is filled with crazy fans wearing red and supporting the Badgers in every way. There are cookouts up and down the streets, people throwing parties, people in body paint, etc. Madison was even named the greatest college sports town in America by ESPN.

There are groups to support every affiliation, race, and gender on campus. No one should feel out of place at Wisconsin because there are so many people. The students are predominatly left but there are quite a few right wingers as well. Most of the kids are from Wisconsin and Minnesota but there are lots of kids from all over the US and many other countries.

If you want them to be. Wisconsin is diverse and big enough that you find whatever you are looking for out of the college experience.

Classes are really big and it's hard to get to know the professors. You have to either be ok with that or go to office hours. Personally, I like the anonymity of classes because its not a big deal if i miss a lecture here and there.

There are so many people and a million different student organizations there's no reason you should ever feel alone or left out at a school like Wisco. Even better- if there isn't a student org for your interest you can easily start one! Different dorms have different reputations as far as sociability is concerned. Generally Southeast dorms are known to be the more social dorms whereas Lakeshore is more quiet and studious. Madison is famous for its annual Halloween party but my favorite tradition is the Mifflin Street Block Party that is held the weekend before finals begin every year. Its basically half of the student body having a great time and enjoying the last days of spring (and sanity) before finals begin. There are plenty of things going on around campus on a Saturday night that you can go to if you aren't drinking. The Union almost always has some sort of show going on and there are lots of art performances going on year round. Plus there's tons of great restaurants on State Street.

A major stereotype is that Wisconsin is a major party school.

Dale

Wisconsin seemed like a huge school to me - it is a pretty large campus, but classes are relatively small and the campus isn't *that* huge to walk around. There's a bus system, so you could brave that. I always walk to class - the buses are always packed with lazy kids who don't want to walk up Bascom. (Bascom Hill is a huge ass hill in the middle of campus.) Madison, WI is probably the most liberal city in Wisconsin, socially and politically. Madison also has way more to do than most cities in Wisconsin. You can drink, eat, and shop within walking distance to the campus. There's a lot of school pride. UW-Madison is the best school in the state. Complaints: Snow removal was a little sketchy this past year. Classes are never canceled because of weather conditions - although this may change with the selection of a new chancellor.

UW-Mad is a primarily white campus. There's a lot of "activities and programs" geared to other races, religions, sexual orientations and whatever else. I've attended two other schools before going to Madison, and it's nice to come to a school where not everyone wears sweatpants to class. (Ew.) A lot of people seem to take time making themselves look presentable in the morning. Most people at UW-Mad are from Wisconsin. There's a breed of student referred to as "coasties." This means someone who is from the coast, east or west. Wisconsin actually has lower admission standards for students who come from farther away, ie the coasts. Thus, coasties tend to be dumb and are constantly mocked. Don't let this scare you if you're from CA or NY or something: just don't be dumb and try not to tell people where you're from. =) Haha. Like I said, Madison is super liberal. I rarely ever see people preaching jesus or screaming about unborn fetuses on the streets, thank god.

It's about 50/50. There are a lot of parties and a lot of drunks, but there are also a lot of people who aren't completely sucked into that lifestyle. There are some hicks and farmers, but not as many as there are at other Wisconsin schools.

Party school with a lot of drunks. Hicks and farmers.

I'm actually an Apparel Design major - that's not an option select on the survey. My profs and TAs all know my name, but I'm in a pretty small program. For example, if you're going into Psychology, no one will know you exist because every class has like 7 zillion people. (Exaggeration much? You decide.) Most large lectures have discussion sections that have about 15 people, so your TAs *should* know your name. I didn't have to take a lot of the classes Frosh/Sophs have to take - Chem, Calc, nonsense like that, so I can't say too much on those topics. Some people live in the libraries and some people hardly ever study. I feel like students are pretty competitive, but in a passive-aggressive way. Like I said before, UW-Mad is the most academically competitive school to get into in Wisconsin, so a lot of people who go here are pretty high and mighty on themselves because they got a 3.7 GPA in High School. Honestly, I think there's a lot of people here who skimped by in High School because HS is easy. Then, they came to Madison and realized that classes could be hard and that you might have to study.

There's a million events every day, seriously. There's posters up everywhere - if you want to go to a play or an ethnic concert or make crafts on a Saturday night, you'll find something on campus. I met my closest friends by living in the dorms and being in a super small major. I really recommend living in the dorms at least for your first year - it's hard to make friends with people you don't live near. Also, beware that the city of Madison starts renting apartments super early - like, in November for the next school year. So, if you're planning on signing a lease, be sure that you know the people you'll be living with. They could turn out to be psychos and then you'll be screwed. =) One other thing: if you plan on coming to Madison with all your BFFs from High School and living with them, don't plan on making a lot of new friends. If you don't want to branch out, you probably shouldn't even go to college.

Karl

Wisconsin is a big school that makes the city of Madison what it is. There are lots of opportunities for people to do whatever they want and there will be some place on campus where everyone will be able to fit in. The city itself is fun and vibrant and there is always something to do if you look for it.

Wisconsin's student body is so diverse and so large that I think anyone could find a place where they would fit in if they tried. Most of the students are more liberal leaning, as is the city, but everyone gets along just fine.

Not really, there are plenty of parties but there is also a lot of work to get done. Some students drink but plenty do not. It all depends on your choices.

Since Wisconsin is such a big school the professors do not really get to know you during your first few years. All of the discussions are taught by TAs but they are very knowledgeable and I have not had any trouble; they are definitely less intimidating than the professors are. The classes are tough and the professors expect you to be prepared when you come to lectures. Students usually spend 25-40 hours a week studying outside of class.

The weekends of the fall semester are completely centered around football season. The games are awesome and the tailgating before hand come in a close second in terms entertainment. For student involvement the outdoors clubs (Hoofers) are very popular and many students are active in one of the groups within this club. The winter gets a little tougher because the snow and the cold does keep people inside more but it just makes for more opportunities to meet people in the dorms and apartments.

People think that Wisconsin is a huge party school and that all of the students drink.

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.