Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Daniel

Best thing about Wisconsin is the gorgeous campus. I would change the weather. Just the right size (often a little large but you can make it smaller). Their reaction is...Wisconsin? WHY? and by the end of the debate, they wish they had gone there. I spend most of my time on campus in college library. Wisconsin administration NEEDS TO BE CONSOLIDATED. Too many places to get forms filled out for one thing. Biggest controversy recently on campus - THE STUPID COASTIE/SCONNIE DEBATE. Im sick of it. TONS OF SCHOOL PRIDE. Always remember college football games

VERY LIBERAL CAMPUS - I LOVE IT --- no one is out of place.

MAny know my name. Favorite - Chinese, golf, international law, china world politics - Study 3-4 hrs a night - very common - very competitive. Outside of class i do not spend time with profs. Geared to learning

Varsity sports teams of course. Im involved in the Chinese Club - ATHLETIC EVENTS ARE VERY VERY POPULAR. IF i am awake, i am usually online. Traditions: Halloween, Mifflin... Off campus i go to a movie or get dinner

Wisconsin students are very educated students, but when the weekend hits, they definitely know how to have a good time. Come football, basketball and hockey gameday, wisconsin students really know how to bring spirit to the university as well as represent themselves better than any other university!

Devin

The campus and all the opportunities the school has to offer. It has everything you'd want out of a college experience, good academics, strong programs with a diverse number of majors, beautiful campus, big time athletics and an outstanding party scene.

The drinking and partying is actually pretty fair. I think if you compared the amount of time and alcohol consumed by Wisconsin students to other college students, UW student would drink prove to drink/party more. Wisconsin student are NOT stupid although there some students who are not all that bright which is reasonably expected at a university of this size. Most students/people from wisconsin are not hicks with few exceptions.

They drink/party a lot, they are stupid (depends on who you talk to)and they are hicks.

Casey

Overall Wisconsin is an awesome university with tons of school pride and great sporting events. The weather sucks during the winter and when all the snow melts in the spring there are gigantic puddles everywhere.

There seems to be a lot of coasties. And most people are pretty liberal. And I haven't met anyone who is actually against smoking weed. Smokers and non-smokers seem to respect each others choices and let them make up their own minds about what to do.

Heavy drinkers and a lot of parties, also known to have lots of stoners.

The two biggest events of the year are Halloween and Mifflin Street Block Party. Halloween is (in)famous for tens of thousands of people getting wasted, going to State St and causing trouble. The riots have really calmed down in the last 2 years and its more of an official city event now. :( Mifflin is a huge block party that several thousand people go to. Usually starts early in the morning and people just walk around about a 10-20 block area getting drunk. Cops are very cool about alcohol for this event - no busts unless youre causing trouble or selling alcohol illegally pretty much. And then theres the Badger football games...I dont know if I can really describe it. Its just one of those things you have to go to and find out for yourself. I can tell you that it is amazing though! Also should mention that the drug culture has a decent presence in Madison. Weed and Adderall are everywhere with other drugs like LSD and cocaine available to those that go looking for it. Someone probably isnt going to offer you anything randomly (well some guy on State St tried to sell me some acid once) on the streets but if you hang around the right scenes you shouldnt have much of a problem.

Some of the classes seem really easy...last semester I took Econ 101. Only went to 3 or 4 lectures at the beginning of the year, never did homework or went to discussions and just read through most of the readings the night before exams and still passed with a C. I miss about half of my classes now because I realize I can pass without going easily.

Lucy

The best thing about Wisconsin is the people. Everyone loves this school. You literally can't walk down the street without seeing Wisconsin gear. The school is big, but I personally like big schools. Although you can feel that you don't exist in lectures. I spend most of my time on campus at class, in the dorms, or at the eating place. It's totally a college town. The football games are the most fun thing you will do first semester. Go to every single one if you can (especially the night games!)

Not very diverse, although there are a lot of groups.

1. Definitely. Probably a dozen options every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. At the same time, people do stay in too and it's not a big deal if you don't go out at all. 2. There are over 600 clubs to join and a lot of intermurals. 3. It's gorgeous, except right now there is a lot of construction. A LOT! 4. Very hard. It is essential that you study any spare moment you have if you want good grades. 5. Yea, for the most part first semester is planned around football games. 6. Not true. Actually, the students here are not fat at all. Surprised me. 7. Very true! Leave 15 minutes earlier and take the bus if you can! Wear multiple layers and you won't look uncool if you actually wear a hat. Your ears will thank you. 8. True. 3.5 college GPA if you want a chance (which is much harder to get than High School...trust me!) 9. Used to be. They tried to turn it around a lot this year and it worked. Not as crazy as people make it sound, but still probably the most nuts weekend of first semester. 10. Not true at all. Honestly, the majority of the African Americans you see are in a sport.

1.That we party really hard. 2.That there is a lot to do. 3.That it's a pretty campus. 4.The classes are hard and graded hard. 5.It's all about football. 6.Everyone's fat. 7.Winter sucks. 8.Business school is hard to get into. 9.Halloween is crazy. 10. It's diverse.

There are so many clubs on campus I could not tell you what is the most popular. Athletics are extremely popular. Go to some hockey games! They are sooooo fun!

Most professors won't ever know your name. Go to your T.A.'s with questions. Most of the time they are the ones that determine your grades and correct your tests and papers. My favorite class was Educational Psychology and Women's Studies 103. I've heard Human Sexuality is a fun and good class. I hated Geography 120 and I'm not a fan of Anthropology 104. Students study all the time and it's really hard to find a spot in the library. The students are competitive, but also helpful to each other. Don't count on getting out of this school in 4 years. They pretty much make it impossible.

rachel

great college atmosphere. state street has everything you could possibly want in a city. sports and school spirit is great. one thing id change is the professors in the business school and econ dept. they are awful. people complain all the time how the advising in the business school sucks too.

we need diversity. anyone who is a minority would feel out of place here, everyone is white. most wisconsin students are from wisco.

im involved with the investment banking club. its a great student organization athletic events are pretty popular--very hard to get tickets to anything. frats and sororities are not too important.

professors are not good. marketing department is great. my microeconomics professor was awful. i loved my macroeconomics class and professor with Steve Rick. students in the business school are pretty competitive. Wisconsin is a lot harder than other schools, and I wish it had a better reputation. Wall St. doesn't look too highly on Wisconsin students. Wish we were looked at like Michigan because are academics are on par if not better.

they are mean. they hate 'coasties' they are called sconnies.

Quinn

the best thing about wisconsin is everything availabe to you outside of your jail cell from restaurants, to work out places, to the lake i'd change the weather, it's so cold, always it seems the school is large, but I like being able to listen to my ipod in a boring lecture, close my eyes, or skip if need be and not be noticed when I say I go to wisconsin they realize the prestige Most of my time is spent in my room, i'd like to say studying, but probably just hanging out the administration did not graduate from madison, therefore they lack at times the biggest controvery is the presdential campaign, one corner yells hillary and the other vote for obama there is a lot of school pride when you're present for function and in the wearing of our colors, but i didn't know until 3 days later that we won the Big 10 I'll always remember meeting two new people on move-in day and going out with them on state street that night wondering if I made 2 new best friends or was going to get myself in trouble being along with them on an unfamiliar street The most frequent complaints are the weather.

students wear everything from boy's grey sweat pants to burburry rainboats and earmuffs

we do know how to party, but i have studied on a friday, and even a saturday night, with a slight amount of ridicule however

professor know the names of the kids that annoy them, there's always someone

the cool kids leave their doors open, the ones that are looking for friends, walk in! that's why the door is open

we eat alot of cheese, we know how to party, but that's not a stereotype

Lee

The best thing about Wisconsin is the atmosphere around campus. It feels like you are in college but you are also in a city so it is not closed off. I think the size is perfect because you are always meeting knew people, but also see familiar faces. When I tell people I go to Wisconsin they usually say they have a relative or friend who goes there and then we try to figure out if we both know that person. I spend most of my time on State Street, either in coffee shops or things like that. I like the sense of community you feel when walking down state street with other Wisconsin students. There is definitely a sense of Badger pride. I like the history of Bascom Hill and how far back our college goes. When showing guests around it is so great to be able to explain everything that went on here. I love passing things out in Library Mall in the fall and spring and listening to crazy people demonstrating in that area. It is an amazing place when all the kids are hanging out in the nice weather on Library Mall.

Wisconsin is not very diverse. There are not a lot of people of color. I do not know why there is not a lot of diversity but a lot of the time it does seem that you see the same type of person walking down the street...white.

GO BADGERS!!!!! I love University of Wisconsin!!!!

I would not say that everyone from Wisconsin are from small towns and are sheltered. But the rest are pretty true.

People from Wisconsin only drink beer and eat cheese. People from Wisconsin are very sheltered, live in small towns on farms. Wisconsin students drink alcohol and party a lot. Madison is very liberal in political views.

A lot of students my freshman year were involved with the Hoofers club because they do a lot of out doors skiing trips, etc. Sororities and Fraternities are popular if you want them to be, but if you are not in that seen you are fine as well. You definitely do not have to be in one in order to go to this school which is something that drew me to it when I was an incoming Freshman. Football and Basketball are huge events throughout the year and lots of students go to those games. Most students go out on the weekends to bars or house parties. Lots of beer drinking! However, if you do not drink there are other things going on in Madison you can do within the community as well.

Academics at Wisconsin are definitely what you make them. I go in for lots of help and get to know my professors so I usually get that extra help I need. But it would also be easy in big lectures to have them not know you at all. Classes are what you make of them. I am a senior, and I can name a handful of professors who I have absolutely loved and raved about. My history professors have been the most fun. Women in History was an amazing class with the most fun professor, Professor Roberts. Overall, I would say the professor's here are very good. The academic requirements on the other hand is something Wisconsin could do better. All of the breath requirements you have to take are extreme. It has felt like an upgraded version of high school in that respect because you still have to take a plethora of science and math. College is supposed to expand your mind and focus on things you want to learn about and most of the time here I have found myself taking classes just to get a requirement out of the way.

Aaron

State Street is the best part of the UW campus. Countless restaurants and bars are on the street, as well as a combination of hip and hippie. Urban Outfitters, Gap, and Jamba Juice are cool and hoop. But there is also Art Gecko and PipeFitters which gives Madison its hippie feel. State Street is right on campus, and easily accessible to all UW-students. The stores and restaurants would not survive without the university, but there are also thousands of citizens in the city of Madison that would not categorize themselves as a "badger". At Madison, students don't feel lost within a city like Boston University students in Boston, and they also don't feel totally isolated like students at small town university. The city of Madison and the university have an amazing connection, and they work hand in hand.

The University of Wisconsin, like the state of Wisconsin, is a primarily white state. There is very little diversity on campus with regards to ethnicity and race. The LGBT campus is represented, and Madison is very tolerant. The University has positive social and economic policies for employees who have gay partners. The LGBT groups are very active, and present throughout campus. The university has a very large Jewish population, and in a couple years a new state of the art Hillel will be constructed. Hillel constantly provides activities and events, and brings in speakers such as Bud Selig and the writers from LOST. The difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition prices are great, so most of the out-of-state students come from fairly affluent homes.

When you enter the University of Wisconsin as a freshman, you must make a pivotal choice that will help shape the rest of your social life at school. You must decide whether to live in a private or public dorm. The private dorms are much more expensive, but provide incredible amenities and comfort, and are made up of a majority of out-of-state students. The public dorms mostly represent students from the state of Wisconsin, and many of the dorms are in decrepit condition. I am from Massachusetts, and I wanted to be part of the Wisconsin culture and lifestyle, but when I lived in the private dorms, I was placed in an environment that was eerily similar to the schools that I passed on attending back home. The segregation between in-state and out-of-state students is a major problem, and real stereotypes such as “Sconnie” and “Coastie” has emerged. This has created a fragmented campus, which is a real shame.

The campus was in mourning when Brett Favre retired, and some classes devoted much discussion time to this tragedy, but on the whole Wisconsin natives have much more culture than just cheese, cows, and Brett Favre. The university includes the best students from the state, and to be admitted into the school you must understand more than those basic subjects. Madison does have a history of being ultra-liberal, and extreme protests during the Vietnam War. However, there is never any political riots on the campus today. There may be riots for a crazy Halloween party, but never any fires and arrests over the policies of George W. Bush. The school is primarily liberal, and has elected one of the most liberal representatives in the US government, but not to the point of extremism that depicted the campus in the 1960s.

Some people think that Wisconsin comprises a weird mixture of cheeseheads and liberal hippies. Cows, Cheese, and Brett Favre are the only subjects that a native Wisconsin person thinks about, while there is this idea that Madison is a liberal oasis in a conservative state.

When you leave UW, you will be graduating with an excellent education. Many classes are extremely big, and there is no way a professor will know your name, unless you make the extra effort. If you sit front row, and go to the office hours, almost every professor is helpful and really happy to do everything in their power to help you. But professors will not be there to constantly remind you to do your homework, or yell at you to go to class. Some classes are really easy- like Intro to Theater and Drama, and some classes are crazy hard like Micro Economics. It is really important to do your research before taking a class. I am a history major, and I wanted to take a business class, but since I was not part of the business school many classes were off limits. Also, I was admitted into a family business class but it would not count towards my 120 degree credits. So, virtually I am taking this class for fun. And its no fun to take a test when it will not help you get your degree. So the cross-college requirements at the university are sometimes ridiculous, and impossible to navigate.

The sports at the University are amazing. I am a sports junkie, and I have been blessed to witness some unbelievable sports while I have been a Wisconsin Badger. In 2006, the men and women’s hockey team won the national title. In 2007 the basketball team secured its first #1 ranking in the country, and the football team has been extremely successful as well. The spirit felt in Camp Randall and the Kohl Center is unbelievable especially when we play a big ten rival. University of Wisconsin has broken out on to the same level as UNC, Texas, and Florida, and arguably the premier overall sports department in the entire Midwest. Having a successful sports program is not essential to a quality college education, but it makes writing a paper much less stressful after storming the basketball court when winning the Big Ten regular season title. I have participated in MADPAC (America-Israel Political group), History Association, Roosevelt Institution (Political think tank), and College Democrats. Also I have participated in other classes that are not sponsored by the university. I was able to learn boxing in a grungy boxing gym in the middle of Madison, and also learn how to write a screenplay. Thousands of students are active, but you have to have the motivation. Many students just drink beer, but on the whole it is a positive mix.

Molly

the best thing about wisconsin...i can't pick just one! the parties are amazing, the sports are great, the campus is beautiful, everyone is smart,people go out no matter the weather , the professors are amazing, there are so many opportunities to get involved. If I could change one thing it would be the hate towards the "coasties." I'm from long island and I don't wear "not pants," big sunglasses, and a huge north face. Dear Sconnies, Quit complaining about my clothes and have a beer with me. People are extremely impressed when I say I go to Wisconsin. It has a really good reputation. We were voted best college town in america multiple times....enough said.

Honestly, no student would feel out of place here. The university, and city of Madison as well, is extremely liberal. Most students wear sweats to class. It's freezing here for most of the year...you do anything to keep warm. The school is mainly divided between Wisconsin/midwest kids and kids from the coasts/chicago. Most people hang out with other people that are from their area. The dorms are even segregated by where you are from. Out of state kids from the coast, live in private housing.

Good-looking, smart, non-stop partiers, huge sports fans, athletic, love dairy products, not diverse, lot of asians, coasties and sconnies.

Most of my classes are giant lectures, as are most of the intro classes here, but there are also smaller discussion sections that meet once a week that go along with the huge classes. They are generally taught by a T.A. but you get an extra opportunity to go over any material. Those T.A.s know my name. I love every class I've taken here so far! Students study a lot. It's not unusual to spend 6 or 7 hours a day doing work in the library. "Work hard, party hard." That's our motto. Students are extremely competative. Everyone was in the top of their class in high school so there is bound to be some competition. The core requirements are intense. The work load in the intro classes is extremely heavy because they want to weed out the kids who can't cut it. The University of Wisconsin wants you to leave a well educated person, but not just in your major. I'm learning so much here.

A lot of people participate in intermural/club sports here at Wisconsin. I played co-ed intermural soccer in the fall and it was actually competitive. I am a member of a sorority on campus. Greek life is deffinately present on campus, but it is deffinately not overwhelming at all. Athletic events are extremely popular. Saturdays in the fall are all about Wisconsin football. Men's hockey and basketball are also really big. We actually just won Big Ten men's basketball, which is really exciting. My closest friends are from my sorority, but a lot of people hang out with the people in their dorms. If I am awake at 2am on Tuesday, I am deffinately studying. Halloween weekend is huge here. Thousands of people come from all over, and they recently started selling tickets just to get onto state stree. This year is was sponsored by Mountain Dew and Lifehouse came to perform. The mifflin block party is also huge in April. People party a lot here. I have friends who go out Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There are always a ton of parties. The campus is huge and so many people live in houses and appartments so there is always so much going on. There are tons of clubs so theres always a drinking alternative.

Ariana

The scenery is gorgeous. There are so many different types of personality on campus it would impossible to meet and befriend great people. I would love better clothing stores. I think the school is a great size- "You can't make a small school big, but you can always make a big school small." I think they are impressed by both my perceived intellect (being such a great school), drinking ability, and extreme school spirit. State street bars, the library, different restaurants and my apartment. Definitely college town! Us winning the big 10 basketball championship! (I guess not really a controversy!) Tons of school pride, No matter what state I am, if someone is wearing WISCONSIN apparel I always talk to them. So many! From pulling all nighters and going straight to exams, or drinking until the wee hours in the morning, and all the great times at the terrace. The campus is big, we walk a lot! Especially when its cold-great excuse to not go to class.

Honestly, different races I haven't really experience here. I have met a lot of Jewish people which was a change from where I'm from. I also met my first gay person here (even though I thought in high school I would never be friends with a homosexual) and we've been great friends for 4 years! None-maybe someone who didn't want to experience all it had to offer. I have met a ton from WI, IL and NY. middle class. yes, but not as political as would have thought/hoped. I think its pretty 50/50. Yes as usually its pretty high (probably way too high for what they hope to make right off the bat).

I think so, however people don't understand that we drink all night, and then go to class. We are a very intellectual group of students who party just as hard as they study.

That we drink a ton (which we do), eat a lot of cheese (which we do), it's freezing (true-winter is bad!) and love Brett Farve (only those born and raised WI).

Some yes. I am a finance major but really enjoyed business law. Insurance least favorite. Pretty often-people that go out during the week a lot usually study on weekends or the other way around. I took Interior Design when I studied abroad for a semester to Italy. My major is in the School of Human Ecology which I think is really in need of a few more qualified teachers. No-not outside class. It is geared toward learning and applying the information presented in classrooms to the outside world. But for some classes you've got to do what you've got to do...

All sports, club anything-really what ever your interested in-so are other people. I have been so grateful to my sorority and i really would love to see more people get involved with the greek system. I have met almost all of my closest friends through it, and college would not have been the same with out it. yes dorms are very friendly. Very popular-on game days EVERY one wears red. if teachers give extra credit, but usually yes anyways. I think a lot of ppl date and a lot dont. Definitely not as many as at a private school. The women here are builing their own careers, they don't go to college to find a mate. Either at a bar or studying. Mifflin Street Block party is ridiculous, Halloween is fantastic. All summer is unbelievable (great weather, great lake, no lines at bars) I would say 3-4 a week. Important to those not in them-not so much (except for charities that we help out throughout the year). People in them-priceless. hmmm. study, watch a movie, go to the terrace and play card (weather permitting) or see any of the live music, theres a comedy club, etc. Went out. Go to Target, grocery or clothing shopping. thats about it!

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.