Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Lucy

The best thing about Wisconsin is the people. Everyone loves this school. You literally can't walk down the street without seeing Wisconsin gear. The school is big, but I personally like big schools. Although you can feel that you don't exist in lectures. I spend most of my time on campus at class, in the dorms, or at the eating place. It's totally a college town. The football games are the most fun thing you will do first semester. Go to every single one if you can (especially the night games!)

Not very diverse, although there are a lot of groups.

1. Definitely. Probably a dozen options every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. At the same time, people do stay in too and it's not a big deal if you don't go out at all. 2. There are over 600 clubs to join and a lot of intermurals. 3. It's gorgeous, except right now there is a lot of construction. A LOT! 4. Very hard. It is essential that you study any spare moment you have if you want good grades. 5. Yea, for the most part first semester is planned around football games. 6. Not true. Actually, the students here are not fat at all. Surprised me. 7. Very true! Leave 15 minutes earlier and take the bus if you can! Wear multiple layers and you won't look uncool if you actually wear a hat. Your ears will thank you. 8. True. 3.5 college GPA if you want a chance (which is much harder to get than High School...trust me!) 9. Used to be. They tried to turn it around a lot this year and it worked. Not as crazy as people make it sound, but still probably the most nuts weekend of first semester. 10. Not true at all. Honestly, the majority of the African Americans you see are in a sport.

1.That we party really hard. 2.That there is a lot to do. 3.That it's a pretty campus. 4.The classes are hard and graded hard. 5.It's all about football. 6.Everyone's fat. 7.Winter sucks. 8.Business school is hard to get into. 9.Halloween is crazy. 10. It's diverse.

There are so many clubs on campus I could not tell you what is the most popular. Athletics are extremely popular. Go to some hockey games! They are sooooo fun!

Most professors won't ever know your name. Go to your T.A.'s with questions. Most of the time they are the ones that determine your grades and correct your tests and papers. My favorite class was Educational Psychology and Women's Studies 103. I've heard Human Sexuality is a fun and good class. I hated Geography 120 and I'm not a fan of Anthropology 104. Students study all the time and it's really hard to find a spot in the library. The students are competitive, but also helpful to each other. Don't count on getting out of this school in 4 years. They pretty much make it impossible.

rachel

great college atmosphere. state street has everything you could possibly want in a city. sports and school spirit is great. one thing id change is the professors in the business school and econ dept. they are awful. people complain all the time how the advising in the business school sucks too.

we need diversity. anyone who is a minority would feel out of place here, everyone is white. most wisconsin students are from wisco.

im involved with the investment banking club. its a great student organization athletic events are pretty popular--very hard to get tickets to anything. frats and sororities are not too important.

professors are not good. marketing department is great. my microeconomics professor was awful. i loved my macroeconomics class and professor with Steve Rick. students in the business school are pretty competitive. Wisconsin is a lot harder than other schools, and I wish it had a better reputation. Wall St. doesn't look too highly on Wisconsin students. Wish we were looked at like Michigan because are academics are on par if not better.

they are mean. they hate 'coasties' they are called sconnies.

Quinn

the best thing about wisconsin is everything availabe to you outside of your jail cell from restaurants, to work out places, to the lake i'd change the weather, it's so cold, always it seems the school is large, but I like being able to listen to my ipod in a boring lecture, close my eyes, or skip if need be and not be noticed when I say I go to wisconsin they realize the prestige Most of my time is spent in my room, i'd like to say studying, but probably just hanging out the administration did not graduate from madison, therefore they lack at times the biggest controvery is the presdential campaign, one corner yells hillary and the other vote for obama there is a lot of school pride when you're present for function and in the wearing of our colors, but i didn't know until 3 days later that we won the Big 10 I'll always remember meeting two new people on move-in day and going out with them on state street that night wondering if I made 2 new best friends or was going to get myself in trouble being along with them on an unfamiliar street The most frequent complaints are the weather.

students wear everything from boy's grey sweat pants to burburry rainboats and earmuffs

we do know how to party, but i have studied on a friday, and even a saturday night, with a slight amount of ridicule however

professor know the names of the kids that annoy them, there's always someone

the cool kids leave their doors open, the ones that are looking for friends, walk in! that's why the door is open

we eat alot of cheese, we know how to party, but that's not a stereotype

Lee

The best thing about Wisconsin is the atmosphere around campus. It feels like you are in college but you are also in a city so it is not closed off. I think the size is perfect because you are always meeting knew people, but also see familiar faces. When I tell people I go to Wisconsin they usually say they have a relative or friend who goes there and then we try to figure out if we both know that person. I spend most of my time on State Street, either in coffee shops or things like that. I like the sense of community you feel when walking down state street with other Wisconsin students. There is definitely a sense of Badger pride. I like the history of Bascom Hill and how far back our college goes. When showing guests around it is so great to be able to explain everything that went on here. I love passing things out in Library Mall in the fall and spring and listening to crazy people demonstrating in that area. It is an amazing place when all the kids are hanging out in the nice weather on Library Mall.

Wisconsin is not very diverse. There are not a lot of people of color. I do not know why there is not a lot of diversity but a lot of the time it does seem that you see the same type of person walking down the street...white.

GO BADGERS!!!!! I love University of Wisconsin!!!!

I would not say that everyone from Wisconsin are from small towns and are sheltered. But the rest are pretty true.

People from Wisconsin only drink beer and eat cheese. People from Wisconsin are very sheltered, live in small towns on farms. Wisconsin students drink alcohol and party a lot. Madison is very liberal in political views.

A lot of students my freshman year were involved with the Hoofers club because they do a lot of out doors skiing trips, etc. Sororities and Fraternities are popular if you want them to be, but if you are not in that seen you are fine as well. You definitely do not have to be in one in order to go to this school which is something that drew me to it when I was an incoming Freshman. Football and Basketball are huge events throughout the year and lots of students go to those games. Most students go out on the weekends to bars or house parties. Lots of beer drinking! However, if you do not drink there are other things going on in Madison you can do within the community as well.

Academics at Wisconsin are definitely what you make them. I go in for lots of help and get to know my professors so I usually get that extra help I need. But it would also be easy in big lectures to have them not know you at all. Classes are what you make of them. I am a senior, and I can name a handful of professors who I have absolutely loved and raved about. My history professors have been the most fun. Women in History was an amazing class with the most fun professor, Professor Roberts. Overall, I would say the professor's here are very good. The academic requirements on the other hand is something Wisconsin could do better. All of the breath requirements you have to take are extreme. It has felt like an upgraded version of high school in that respect because you still have to take a plethora of science and math. College is supposed to expand your mind and focus on things you want to learn about and most of the time here I have found myself taking classes just to get a requirement out of the way.

Aaron

State Street is the best part of the UW campus. Countless restaurants and bars are on the street, as well as a combination of hip and hippie. Urban Outfitters, Gap, and Jamba Juice are cool and hoop. But there is also Art Gecko and PipeFitters which gives Madison its hippie feel. State Street is right on campus, and easily accessible to all UW-students. The stores and restaurants would not survive without the university, but there are also thousands of citizens in the city of Madison that would not categorize themselves as a "badger". At Madison, students don't feel lost within a city like Boston University students in Boston, and they also don't feel totally isolated like students at small town university. The city of Madison and the university have an amazing connection, and they work hand in hand.

The University of Wisconsin, like the state of Wisconsin, is a primarily white state. There is very little diversity on campus with regards to ethnicity and race. The LGBT campus is represented, and Madison is very tolerant. The University has positive social and economic policies for employees who have gay partners. The LGBT groups are very active, and present throughout campus. The university has a very large Jewish population, and in a couple years a new state of the art Hillel will be constructed. Hillel constantly provides activities and events, and brings in speakers such as Bud Selig and the writers from LOST. The difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition prices are great, so most of the out-of-state students come from fairly affluent homes.

When you enter the University of Wisconsin as a freshman, you must make a pivotal choice that will help shape the rest of your social life at school. You must decide whether to live in a private or public dorm. The private dorms are much more expensive, but provide incredible amenities and comfort, and are made up of a majority of out-of-state students. The public dorms mostly represent students from the state of Wisconsin, and many of the dorms are in decrepit condition. I am from Massachusetts, and I wanted to be part of the Wisconsin culture and lifestyle, but when I lived in the private dorms, I was placed in an environment that was eerily similar to the schools that I passed on attending back home. The segregation between in-state and out-of-state students is a major problem, and real stereotypes such as “Sconnie” and “Coastie” has emerged. This has created a fragmented campus, which is a real shame.

The campus was in mourning when Brett Favre retired, and some classes devoted much discussion time to this tragedy, but on the whole Wisconsin natives have much more culture than just cheese, cows, and Brett Favre. The university includes the best students from the state, and to be admitted into the school you must understand more than those basic subjects. Madison does have a history of being ultra-liberal, and extreme protests during the Vietnam War. However, there is never any political riots on the campus today. There may be riots for a crazy Halloween party, but never any fires and arrests over the policies of George W. Bush. The school is primarily liberal, and has elected one of the most liberal representatives in the US government, but not to the point of extremism that depicted the campus in the 1960s.

Some people think that Wisconsin comprises a weird mixture of cheeseheads and liberal hippies. Cows, Cheese, and Brett Favre are the only subjects that a native Wisconsin person thinks about, while there is this idea that Madison is a liberal oasis in a conservative state.

When you leave UW, you will be graduating with an excellent education. Many classes are extremely big, and there is no way a professor will know your name, unless you make the extra effort. If you sit front row, and go to the office hours, almost every professor is helpful and really happy to do everything in their power to help you. But professors will not be there to constantly remind you to do your homework, or yell at you to go to class. Some classes are really easy- like Intro to Theater and Drama, and some classes are crazy hard like Micro Economics. It is really important to do your research before taking a class. I am a history major, and I wanted to take a business class, but since I was not part of the business school many classes were off limits. Also, I was admitted into a family business class but it would not count towards my 120 degree credits. So, virtually I am taking this class for fun. And its no fun to take a test when it will not help you get your degree. So the cross-college requirements at the university are sometimes ridiculous, and impossible to navigate.

The sports at the University are amazing. I am a sports junkie, and I have been blessed to witness some unbelievable sports while I have been a Wisconsin Badger. In 2006, the men and women’s hockey team won the national title. In 2007 the basketball team secured its first #1 ranking in the country, and the football team has been extremely successful as well. The spirit felt in Camp Randall and the Kohl Center is unbelievable especially when we play a big ten rival. University of Wisconsin has broken out on to the same level as UNC, Texas, and Florida, and arguably the premier overall sports department in the entire Midwest. Having a successful sports program is not essential to a quality college education, but it makes writing a paper much less stressful after storming the basketball court when winning the Big Ten regular season title. I have participated in MADPAC (America-Israel Political group), History Association, Roosevelt Institution (Political think tank), and College Democrats. Also I have participated in other classes that are not sponsored by the university. I was able to learn boxing in a grungy boxing gym in the middle of Madison, and also learn how to write a screenplay. Thousands of students are active, but you have to have the motivation. Many students just drink beer, but on the whole it is a positive mix.

Molly

the best thing about wisconsin...i can't pick just one! the parties are amazing, the sports are great, the campus is beautiful, everyone is smart,people go out no matter the weather , the professors are amazing, there are so many opportunities to get involved. If I could change one thing it would be the hate towards the "coasties." I'm from long island and I don't wear "not pants," big sunglasses, and a huge north face. Dear Sconnies, Quit complaining about my clothes and have a beer with me. People are extremely impressed when I say I go to Wisconsin. It has a really good reputation. We were voted best college town in america multiple times....enough said.

Honestly, no student would feel out of place here. The university, and city of Madison as well, is extremely liberal. Most students wear sweats to class. It's freezing here for most of the year...you do anything to keep warm. The school is mainly divided between Wisconsin/midwest kids and kids from the coasts/chicago. Most people hang out with other people that are from their area. The dorms are even segregated by where you are from. Out of state kids from the coast, live in private housing.

Good-looking, smart, non-stop partiers, huge sports fans, athletic, love dairy products, not diverse, lot of asians, coasties and sconnies.

Most of my classes are giant lectures, as are most of the intro classes here, but there are also smaller discussion sections that meet once a week that go along with the huge classes. They are generally taught by a T.A. but you get an extra opportunity to go over any material. Those T.A.s know my name. I love every class I've taken here so far! Students study a lot. It's not unusual to spend 6 or 7 hours a day doing work in the library. "Work hard, party hard." That's our motto. Students are extremely competative. Everyone was in the top of their class in high school so there is bound to be some competition. The core requirements are intense. The work load in the intro classes is extremely heavy because they want to weed out the kids who can't cut it. The University of Wisconsin wants you to leave a well educated person, but not just in your major. I'm learning so much here.

A lot of people participate in intermural/club sports here at Wisconsin. I played co-ed intermural soccer in the fall and it was actually competitive. I am a member of a sorority on campus. Greek life is deffinately present on campus, but it is deffinately not overwhelming at all. Athletic events are extremely popular. Saturdays in the fall are all about Wisconsin football. Men's hockey and basketball are also really big. We actually just won Big Ten men's basketball, which is really exciting. My closest friends are from my sorority, but a lot of people hang out with the people in their dorms. If I am awake at 2am on Tuesday, I am deffinately studying. Halloween weekend is huge here. Thousands of people come from all over, and they recently started selling tickets just to get onto state stree. This year is was sponsored by Mountain Dew and Lifehouse came to perform. The mifflin block party is also huge in April. People party a lot here. I have friends who go out Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There are always a ton of parties. The campus is huge and so many people live in houses and appartments so there is always so much going on. There are tons of clubs so theres always a drinking alternative.

Ariana

The scenery is gorgeous. There are so many different types of personality on campus it would impossible to meet and befriend great people. I would love better clothing stores. I think the school is a great size- "You can't make a small school big, but you can always make a big school small." I think they are impressed by both my perceived intellect (being such a great school), drinking ability, and extreme school spirit. State street bars, the library, different restaurants and my apartment. Definitely college town! Us winning the big 10 basketball championship! (I guess not really a controversy!) Tons of school pride, No matter what state I am, if someone is wearing WISCONSIN apparel I always talk to them. So many! From pulling all nighters and going straight to exams, or drinking until the wee hours in the morning, and all the great times at the terrace. The campus is big, we walk a lot! Especially when its cold-great excuse to not go to class.

Honestly, different races I haven't really experience here. I have met a lot of Jewish people which was a change from where I'm from. I also met my first gay person here (even though I thought in high school I would never be friends with a homosexual) and we've been great friends for 4 years! None-maybe someone who didn't want to experience all it had to offer. I have met a ton from WI, IL and NY. middle class. yes, but not as political as would have thought/hoped. I think its pretty 50/50. Yes as usually its pretty high (probably way too high for what they hope to make right off the bat).

I think so, however people don't understand that we drink all night, and then go to class. We are a very intellectual group of students who party just as hard as they study.

That we drink a ton (which we do), eat a lot of cheese (which we do), it's freezing (true-winter is bad!) and love Brett Farve (only those born and raised WI).

Some yes. I am a finance major but really enjoyed business law. Insurance least favorite. Pretty often-people that go out during the week a lot usually study on weekends or the other way around. I took Interior Design when I studied abroad for a semester to Italy. My major is in the School of Human Ecology which I think is really in need of a few more qualified teachers. No-not outside class. It is geared toward learning and applying the information presented in classrooms to the outside world. But for some classes you've got to do what you've got to do...

All sports, club anything-really what ever your interested in-so are other people. I have been so grateful to my sorority and i really would love to see more people get involved with the greek system. I have met almost all of my closest friends through it, and college would not have been the same with out it. yes dorms are very friendly. Very popular-on game days EVERY one wears red. if teachers give extra credit, but usually yes anyways. I think a lot of ppl date and a lot dont. Definitely not as many as at a private school. The women here are builing their own careers, they don't go to college to find a mate. Either at a bar or studying. Mifflin Street Block party is ridiculous, Halloween is fantastic. All summer is unbelievable (great weather, great lake, no lines at bars) I would say 3-4 a week. Important to those not in them-not so much (except for charities that we help out throughout the year). People in them-priceless. hmmm. study, watch a movie, go to the terrace and play card (weather permitting) or see any of the live music, theres a comedy club, etc. Went out. Go to Target, grocery or clothing shopping. thats about it!

1. Laid back feel 2. I wish the university was better at shoveling the snow and getting rid of the ice on the sidewalks 3. just right 4. jealousy 5. bars, restaurants...oh, and class 6. major college town 7. pretty good 8. the band trip hazing 9. yes! 10. We get LOTS of snow and it's really cold 11. 2004 Halloween--all the people, the riots, and the pepper spray 12. Too cold

1. Hillel (Jewish organization) 2. a quiet, reserved student 3. jeans, sweats, leggings, UGGS :) 4. not really 5. Coasties, Asians, intellectuals, everyone else 6. Wisconsin, east and west coasts, Chicago, Minnesota 7. mixture 8. predominantly left, VERY aware 9. yes

1. men's football, hockey, and basketball 2. Hillel 3. in Statesider, yes; Towers, no. Not sure about other dorms 4. very popular--athletic events, especially men's football, basketball, and hockey; guest speakers--if it's a good on; never been to the theater 5. lots of guys and girls to choose from, whether you are heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual 6. sorority, dorms 7. watching tv, on my computer, or sleeping 8. Halloween, Mifflin Street Block Party, homecoming 9. at least 3 nights/week 10. not very important 11. went out (drank) and watched a movie at home one night 12. smoke, movies 13. movies, shop, eat

1. in smaller classes 2. favorite--Politics of Human Rights (PS 317), least favorite--psychology 3. everyday, not me 4. yes 5. definitely 6. somewhat 7. not sure 8. political science, Jewish Studies 9. no 10. reasonable 11. not sure

We are a bunch of party animals! But that's ok!!

Steve

The best thing about Wisconsin is the tradition and how the students come together at sporting events. It has tremendous school pride and it has a great campus. I spend most of my time at my dorm, library, and frat house.

From my experience I haven't experienced much diversity because most of the kids from my dorm are from towns similar to mine.

It is a big party school, but in my opinion it is no different than any other school. The stereotype about the in-state students is not true. I would say that the school does work very hard and does have a lot of fun as well, but we always get our school work done first.

They only know my name if I have gone into office hours several times. Students study ALOT. During finals week the library was absolutely packed until crazy hours in the morning. There is no way to succeed at Wisconsin without studying a great amount. It is very competitive and challenging.

The athletic events are very popular. People party a lot. Tuesdays, thursday, friday, and saturday are common days to party. I am in a frat and it is a very big part of my life. On a friday/sat. there isn't much to do if you aren't drinking. The union sometimes has events and you can rent a movie or something, but the majority of people go out.

Many people feel that it is a huge party school. The in-state students are thought of as not as smart as the other students. It is a highly competitive school that has a "work hard, play hard" mentality.

Blair

One of the best things about Wisconsin is the amazing school spirit that not only unifies the school, but also leads to incredible school pride - we're proud to be Badgers. I would include more of a minor program (the certificate program is quite small with only twenty or so certificates available, a fact that's even more extraordinary considering how there are over 100 majors to be attained here). The school is about the right size for what it is - people don't come to Wisconsin looking for a small school, but there's enough of a community aspect on campus that it feels to large either. People usually react to the news that I go to Madison with "that's a really good school" or "big party school, isn't it?" I spend most of my time on campus at my sorority house (where I live) and at class. Madison is definately a college town in that it's very student-friendly, but it also is wonderful in that the larger community integrates pretty well into the edges of campus (there's no jarring feeling of here you're on campus, here you're off). I don't have a lot to say about Wisconsin's administration (from lack of exposure), but I wish the university would be better about calling snow and cold days BEFORE 3-5pm (it's often colder earlier in the day, and that's when most people have classes). Biggest recent controversy: people getting ready for the Wisconsin primary (especially with all of the candidate and surrogate visits in the week or so before the election). Wisconsin IS school pride in Bucky the Badger form. Wisconsin is unusual in that, even though it's a big state school, the overall community feeling of the campus is such that when you meet a fellow Badger (not on campus), the neutral feeling towards them is goodwill. I will always remember the football games - I might not know the most about football, but that's where the true feeling of Wisconsin spirit can best be known, during a game. Most frequent student complaints: cold in winter? (we're in WI, what do you expect?)

They've been positive, but I'll admit they haven't been extensive. A student who is anti-social, hates walking around outside (esp. to class), and sees no value in campus involvement (of any sort) would feel quite out of place here. Many students wear jeans and something on top. There are different types of students here, and I think they do interact, but perhaps not as much as they could. Lunch table groups: a) the jock-types who enjoy a side-scene of drinking/partying; b) the Greeks, who share many characteristics with the jocks, but are also incredibly involved all over campus; c) the earnest intellectuals who likely are involved in some kind of research on campus and/or are most likely to have a strong student-professionals than other groups; d) the Wisconsin in-staters who often grew up with Badger pride, and get really involved on campus [*** these groups are NOT mutually exclusive]. Something like 60-65% of students here are from Wisconsin (state school), 10% are from Minnesota (reciprocity agreement), many are here from the Coasts (esp. New England), as well as a sizeable international group. Prevalent financial backgrounds: a) parents are paying for school - cost no object; b) parents are paying for school - cost considered; c) student paying for part, parents paying for part; d) students funding their own education in its entirety. Politically, many students are aware, if not quite active - most are somewhere between left-of-center and left, but many are also in the right-of-center and right spectrum. Future earnings aren't hugely discussed that I've seen, but I'm not a senior.

Wisconsin is a predominantly white campus (but our diversity rates are higher than many institutions) that is rather liberal (but there's a great deal of political vigour on both sides - it's more true that we're a very political campus than that we're just a liberal campus). Our (pre-)professional schools have exacting standards for admittance, but those schools are so strong that many come to Madison for the opportunity to get into those programs. There is a sizeable "Coastie" population, but not all those who dress "Coastie" are from the coasts. We are rabid Badger fans - we have an incredible amount of school spirit that bleeds into many aspects of university existence. Wisconsin has a reputation for partying, but we also have a reputation for exellence in academic achievement as well.

That the school's white (like predominantely white WI)and has a incredibly liberal bent. That we're crazy into Badger sports, one of the top party schools in the country, and drink constantly. That "Coasties" live in the private dorms (usually Towers and Statesider) and wear UGGs, leggings, and North Face. That the Greek community follows the same stereotypes that seem to be pervasive everywhere. That the J-School, School of Ed and Business Schools are near impossible to get into. That we're a "big state school" with all that that entails.

The sports teams (esp. football, basketball, hockey and crew) are incredibly popular, as is the marching band, but the Greek community is also burgeoning (the last three fall recruitments have all successively had the biggest turnout ever). I'm involved in the mock trial program, as well as the Delta Delta sorority; Tri Delta is amazing in that we not only have fun together as a group socially, but we also give back to the community through community service, and every girl is involved in at least one other campus activity. Depending on the dorm and floor you live in, the door policy differs [on my floor in my dorm last year, we were open-door]. Sports are huge on campus - people wait outside, overnight for days to get hockey/basketball tickets with their friends, and football ticket sales online sold out in under three days last year. Guest speakers are somewhat popular, but not hugely. Theatre is somewhat popular on campus - but there is also some student interest when shows come to the Overture Center. Dating scene on campus has a healthy mix of couples and singles (this isn't a huge M.R.S. degree school, and most studetns are married). I met many of my close friends through the dorms last year, a few from Choral Union[a UW choir], and several through Tri Delta. If I'm awake at 2am on Tuesday, I'm probably doing homework or studying for an exam. Major transitions on campus include football to hockey/basketball, fall to spring semester. Major events include Homecoming, Greek Week, Humorology [the largest philanthropy on campus, the Greeks put on student-written musical comedies with the proceeds going to Camp Heartland and the Chris Farley Foundation], Halloween, St. Patrick's Day. People can be found partying most often Thursday through Saturday nights. Greek life on campus greatly contributes to the community, but by no means is it so pervasive that it's a necessary thing to be part of (Greeks make up a bit more than 30% of campus). Last weekend my sorority had a social and I spent a fair bit of time at the library working on a partner midterm. I don't drink, so I know Saturdays can still be fun without alcohol - whether it's going to a friend's appartment, having a social or staying in for movie night, it's all good. I don't do much off campus at Madison, I don't have a car.

Some of my professors do, the ones that I talk to and/or have in classes of under twenty students. My favorite class is Constitutional Law: the professor's amazing, knows the topic inside and out, and gives it his own unique quirks; plus, Con Law's utterly fascinating on its own. Least favorite class is American Racial & Ethnic Minorities: I was really excited when I first saw the syllabus because of the topics listed, but with a professor and TA who have thus far failed to make me think exceedinly well of their intelligence and presentation skills, I am somewhat more than underwhelmed. Class participation is common in small classes (understandably, in classes of 100+, particiaption is much lower - but to be fair, in large lecture classes, the goal of the class is to impart information,and those kinds of classes usually have discussion sections that promote participation there). Intellectual conversation can happen anywhere - some partake in it more than others (more likely to see in students who are/could graduate early. Students are very competitive to get into the (pre-)professional schools, but in the general undergraduate classes, competition is more to the view of competing against yourself than beating your classmates. My most unique class was History of American Political Thought (small seminar of 20-some students): we read up on most of the leading political thinkers from mid-1700s through 1920, discussed the readings in class, and would then periodically have paideia-style discussions where the students would form groups and represent a different thinker in the debates. My major, political science: I've adored every class I've taken in the poli sci department - my professors have all been amazing, and leaders in their fields. I don't spend much time with professors outside of class unless I go to office hours, except for occasionally seeing one professor who is the nominal advisor of the mock trial program on campus. Academic requirements aren't that difficult for me here, but I know that they're rigorious and not a cake walk. My education here I hope will help secure me a career, not just a job (though I do love learning for its own sake).

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.