Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Zachary

The best thing about Wisconsin, although I am very biased, is the Greek Life. If I could change one thing, it would be the necessity to apply to your program of choice, even after you have been admitted to the university. I believe that if they think you're capable enough to take your families hard earned tuition dollars, they should let you study whatever you want. Being from a coastal town in Southern California, when I tell people that I go to Wisconsin, the overwhelming response is an emphatic "Why?" Most of my time on campus is spent in class, but off campus I divide my time between State Street and the fraternity house. Madison is a great college town, and there is a lot of school pride.

The best way that I could put it, is that there are many University of Wisconsin's. There is the school that Playboy has dubbed Number One Party School, and beleive me, one would be hard pressed to ignore that aspect of the university. There is also a rich tradition of academic excellence and pride at University of Wisconsin. It has often been said that if it weren't for the all too regular subzero temperatures, the University of Wisconsin would have a chance to crack the Top 20 list of US colleges. There is also Big Ten althetics, which often go hand-in-hand with parties and alcohol, but can also be a source of sober entertainment. Additionally, people often think of Wisconsin as not being the posterchild for the American Heart Association, if you know what I mean. Madison, however, has state-of-the-art access to exercise facilities and resources which if sold in a major marketplace would charge no less than a hundred dollars a month for membership. These are all provided gratis to University of Wisconsin students and faculty, and has helped make Madison America's Third Healthiest City. Finally, to address the label of "coastie". Does it come up? Absolutely. Does it form any measurable divide within the student body on any level? I really don't think any University of Wisconsin student, regardless of geographical origin, would agree that it does. University of Wisconsin students have a great mutual respect for each other on both a social and intellectual level, and that is part of what makes Madison, WI a very happy place to be.

The University of Wisconsin is, although decreasingly so, labeled as the prototypical party school. We are, in addition, typecasted as the leading consumers of beer, brats, and cheese. Furthermore, high school seniors looking into the University of Wisconsin more likely than not have heard the label of "coastie", a less than affectionate characterization of students migrating from the East or West coast to attend the University of Wisconsin, come up.

Professors, by no fault of their own, tend not to know they're students' names. This is because of the large size of most of the classes. On the flipside of that, every TA that I have had has gotten to know my name, and a little about me, due to the small size of the discussion sections. Students vary greatly in their studying. Some study a lot and do well, some study a lot and do poorly. Some student little and do well, and yes, some study a little and do very badly! Intellectual conversations don't tend to dominate the outside the classroom talk, and students are not as competitive with each other as say, University of Michigan. I think that the education at Wisconsin is very much skewed towards learning for its own sake, which makes it advisable to join a career oriented club.

Jordan

Did not mean to apply here. Did not know anything about it, got into every school I applied and when I visited here I knew this was where I belonged. One thing I would change is better 100 level professors. The campus size is just right. It is big enough where you can pursue anything you want and meet completely new people. It is small enough that it is impossible for me to go to the library and not know anyone. Being from Miami not many people really know about Wisc so they dont understand why I decided to come. Administration is extremely approachable!!! It is a college town that does not only depend on the college but has its own life to. There is A LOT of school pride The mascot, bucky, is considered a hero. I will always remember Humorology. It is a greek-wide original theatre show competition...it is amazing!!

I am Jewish and there are 3 different organizations on and around campus to be involved with, all of which are amazing. I dont think any student would feel out of place because there is such diversity i think that anyone could find their niche. It is weird to say but because of the partying that goes on on campus different students get to interact through mutual friends all of the time. Most students are obviously from Wisconsin but it is not over bearing and the greek life is made up of students from all over the country. Predominantly left school.

most amazing school. is beyond beautiful. wonderful environment. liberal. fun.

Yes. But sadly since the school got number 1 party school rated by Playboy the school and the city have been trying to change that. The truth though, I really dont think it'll make a difference. If they are stricter at bars then people would go to house parties. College kids will always find away around the so called "system."

If you want professors to know your name they will. Favorite class is Italian. Least was econ 101 and chem 103 because the professors were so bad. Class participation is greater is smaller sized classrooms. In most lectures people are to shy to speak out a lot but in discussions everyone does. We have intellectual conversations outside of class... my friend always relates chem to the real world. Wisconsin's education is geared towards both, getting a job and learning for its own sake.

All intramural sports are popular. The greek system is popular but you do not need to be a part of it to have fun. In my dorm everyone's door is always open. The dating scene is great... there are places to meet people with alcohol and without (college library was rated the number one place to meet people without alcohol). Met my closest friends through the dorms and greek life. If I am awake at 2 on Tuesday I am either at a bar that has a 75% off special on Tuesdays or being with friends in the dorm. Every year: Mifflin block party, polar plunge, Humorology, FOOTBALL, sports, and welcome week (AMAZING!). People can party any day of the week they want. Most people average between two to three nights a week. Last weekend: Naughty school girl/bad school boy social with a sorority, our fraternity threw a white out party on friday (over 600 people) and on sat had a keg in our room. During the day studying and watched a movie. On a saturday night can go to a club, watch a movie in a dorm room, go to the union. Off campus: bars, restaurants, and the one club nearby and sometimes house parties. Dont have a car so its difficult to do that much off campus.

Drink a lot of beer. Party school

Zack

There is no "one thing" that is best about Wisconsin. The people are extremely friendly (it is a Midwest thing...), the sports are unbelievable, and the academics are great...supported by a group of fantastic professors and teacher's assistants. I love the fact that Madison is a quintessential college town. It gets really cold (-15 on occasion), but it brings people together. The warm seasons are incredible-you can watch the sunset over Lake Monona while enjoying a pitcher of beer on the Wisconsin Union terrace, or go for a swim in the lake. It is one place where you can look around and say to yourself "I can't believe I go to school here."

For the most part, yes. But Wisconsin is very academic. It's a work hard/play hard situation. Yes, wisconsin students know how to throw a fun party, but we're also motivated and hard-working.

Of course, not every professor is amazing. They will take the time to know your name, and student/professor relationships can be very close, depending on the class size.

We love cheese, brats, and beer. We a big party school.

Joe

The best thing about Wisconsin is the variety and culture. Wisconsin mixes one of the best party scenes in the nation with one of the best sports programs in the nation and one of the best academic programs in the nation. The social, educational, sports mix is what makes Wisconsin the best University in the United States.

One of Wisconsin's biggest problems to me is some intolerance and the many controversial demonstrations. When walking to class most days I witness preachers trying to tell me I am going to hell if I dont follow Jesus Christ or Socialists trying to tell me that corporate America is the reason for world wars.

People from the east coast and wisconsin do have different fasion styles, looks, and personalities sometimes, but are generally more in common then their stereotypes suggest.

Alpha Epsilon Pi is the frat to be in.

There is a divide between people from the east coast (coasties) and wisconsin people (sconnies).

Ben

Its a great school, a beautiful campus, a great bar scene and fantastic sports teams. Everyone goes nuts on game day and everyone here knows how to drink. We live by the motto "Work Hard, Play Hard"

Wisconsin is definitely one of the whitest schools in the country, but everyone here is very liberal so I don't think people feel out of place.

For the most part some of these are true, you'll have class with all of these people but you'll most likely hang out in a group that fits you best.

No, the professors don't know my name, but my TA's do. I study during midterm weeks but otherwise school is pretty laid back. It is a great school though.

I'm in a Fraternity. Greek Life is not huge here but its a lot of fun. Lately a lot of politicians have been coming to Madison because of the Primaries and there is usually always a concert each weekend.

Red Neck Sconnies from some small town in Wisconsin. There are also a ton of coasties who live in towers or statesider.

Phil

The best thing of Wisconsin is the everyday Madison atmosphere. There are so many different types of people in Madison. Classes are great, the campus is beautiful, and people are just enjoying their time here. It also has a great social scene, bars, clubs, and restaurants. The Union is amazing. Live bands and the great scene at the Union are one of a kind. Being in Downtown Madison and enjoying state street are truly unique to Madison. I would change the weather, it gets a little too cold at times, but that just makes the student body appreciate the spring, summer and fall so much better. When the first day of nice weather of spring hits, you'd better believe that the entire student body is taking advantage of the weather. People tan all down Bascom Hill, students study outside, and sports are played on every corner of the campus. I think the size is perfect. People react in shock when I tell them I goto the UW. Being from the south, many people don't even know where Wisconsin is! I spend most time on campus either on State street, at the Union, playing Frisbee, hanging out at friends apartments, or on state street. Possibly the best college town in the US. Madison and the UW are combined as one and the experience of living downtown Madison is great. Wisconsin's administration is phenomenal, Nothing to complain about. There was a controversy about some accused racist term used by a Law school professor. But it was all cleared up within a few months. School pride here rivals all big schools in the US. Thousands get out their red for the football games. The streets are lined with red on the way to Camp Randall. People wake up extra early to start tailgating, drinking, and eating before the game. It is unusual that there are so many different people that go to the UW, and thats what makes it great. My entire freshman year was a year long ride I will never forget. I honestly had the time of my life all year long. Most frequent complaints? cold weather during the winter.

I have friends in almost all groups of people. Everyone has friends from different groups. I dont think any student will feel out of place here. There is a group for everyone. Yes different types do interact. The coasties, from the east and west coast, the sconnies, all kids from Wisconsin, the other out of staters, and people from Minnesota, and surrounding mid west areas. But these are just the groups, and they do interact and are mixed. Most students are from Wisconsin, and most student seem to come from an average family financial background. Yes, politics is huge here. It is known as the largest liberal campus. But there are large support groups from both parties. Most are democrat. EVeryday there are people campaigning or voicing their issues.

They are fairly accurate. "Sconnies" do have certain Wisconsin characteristics, such as heavy drinkers. The coasties are somewhat "stuck up." But these are only two of the main stereotypes. There are thousands of students that do not fit into either one. Yes, the student body as a whole are major drinkers and partyers. Thursday through Saturday are heavy party nights. Wisconsin is a great academic school. The overall Madison vibe is awesome. It is truly a great school with a mixing of cultures that makes it so appealing

Students from Wisconsin are thought to be "sconnie" which has its own stereotypes. Sconnie kids love to hunt, drink lots of beer, and are a little rough around the edges. The other stereotype is for the out-of-state students who mainly comes from the east and west coast "coasties" They are thought to be very wealthy and even more stuck up. The Wisconsin student body as a whole are seen as huge partyers. They are viewed as heavy drinkers and big time partyers. Wisconsin students are also seen as very intellectual and it is a tough school. Wisconsin is a huge football school, which a growing basketball fan base.

There are hundreds of clubs on campus. They are all very popular. Intramural sports is very popular also. I am part of the Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs committee. We do a lot of work. From voter registration, to lobbying at the capital. Students in dorms always have their doors open. Everyone here is so nice. Athletics are very popular. The stadiums are always packed. There is live music somewhere on campus every night. I met my closest friends randomly last year when I got put on the same dorm floor as them. 20 of us from all over the country, wound up together, and had the times of our lives and became best friends. Some seniors would be partying of course, but others would be studying for an exam, and talking with friends. There are so many annual events and traditions that occur each year. People party on average 2 or 3 times a week. Some go out Wednesday thru Saturday, others just go out on the weekends. Fraternities are sororities are 10% of the campus. If you live in one, it is important part, otherwise it is not. I went to my friends parties and hung out with friends at the union. There are always events such as movies, shows, and lots of other things available to do on Saturday night. Everything anyone could ever want or need is on campus, so I don't venture off campus that much.

A few of them do. Favorite class is International Law, I have a great professor. Least favorite is first amendment class, I had a bad teacher. Students study a lot here, Most students are in the library a few times per week. Yes class participation is very common. Yes, since it is such a great school, it is very competitive here. I took a class dealing with Fraternity issues on campus. It was great. I am a political science, history major. I meet with professors during their office hours. The requirements are very fair. Both.

Ruth

The best thing about Wisconsin is the school environment/structure of the campus, with a small school feel at a big school. I would change the excessive amount of binge drinking or curtail it a bit. I like the size. Other people know UW is kind of a wild, fun place but also where lots of smart, academically-oriented people go. This is definitely a "college town"; the campus is right downtown but very contained so there is a definite campus feel. The biggest recent controversy was probably being named #1 drinking school by Princeton Review in 2005. There is tons of school pride, especially at football and other sporting events. Although they are "plagued with alcohol", I really like events like Halloween and Mifflin St. Block Party. It's great to see lots of people coming together to have a good time.

There isn't a ton of racial or sexual orientation diversity on campus. There are definitely groups like LGBT alliance that are out there, however. As far as race goes, there is hardly anything out there dealing with issues of race because I feel like on campus it is more of a non-issue. As far as socioeconomic status, I think UW is fairly diverse. There are a fair amount of working class families, but also a significant portion of out-of-state students and other groups that are more upper-middle class or upper class. There is a bit of segregation among these socioeconomic groups. There is a fraternity/sorority mentality on campus, and there are also more expensive dorms for freshmen stereotypically designated for students from the coasts/more well-to-do students that generally don't interact much with Wisconsinites/midwesterners (unless they are in the Greek system together.) Students are predominantly left politically.

Some are accurate. There is a lot of beer-drinking and partying, but it is definitely avoidable and there is a good population of students who avoid the bar scene. Though, I might add, the bar scene is huge. Lots of kids are from small towns or suburbs of Minneapolis or Milwaukee. Also lots from Chicago and the coasts. This is also definitely a more liberal campus, but since it is so big all types of people can be found here. And the accents are bad.

Sports are a huge part of the UW campus, especially football and basketball. There are a LOT of sports fans, even lots of alumni and parents get in on the games. There are also tons of organizations on campus--- no matter what you like to do, there is something for you. I've been involved with an organization promoting women in fields of business that got me in touch with many alumni and also allowed me to have a better look at careers in business-related fields from a unique perspective. Students in the dorms don't generally leave their doors open because of theft problems, but by the same token I have met most of my close friends through the dorms--- that is probably the easiest way to make friends if you are not huge on the extracurricular scene. People party a lot and the bars are hopping. Truthfully, on the weekends I either go to the bar or watch movies/sometimes go to movies, but that is the extent of my off-campus activities.

Since UW is such a huge school, it is much harder for professors and students to carry on a close relationship, even in upper level classes. This can be a problem, but it is also fairly easy to go to your professor's office hours if it matters a great deal; otherwise, TAs make the lecture hall experience more personable as well. I feel that students study quite a bit here--- I guess it depends what you're getting into. I am in the honors program so that gives me a bit of a different perspective. Students arguably are more competitive here, but overall I've been very impressed with academic life here. One of my favorite classes was an honors seminar I took my freshman year where we read "Paradise Lost" and "Omeros". The latter became one of my favorite books. I also did an honors project with a professor for a 20th century American history class, which I LOVED because that is my favorite thing to study. It was on the Harlem Renaissance - pretty cool experience.

Wisconsin in general: lots of beer drinking, rural communities, overweight people, midwest hicks, working class families, bad BAD accents UW students: smart, huge partiers, small-town kids (aka non-metro in every way), working class families, liberals/hippies, twiggies and outdoor types, huge frat crowd

Lindsay

The campus is very big, which is a good thing. Even though it is big, it still feels like a community. There is a lot of school pride - especially at the football games. Whenever I tell people from home that I go to Madison they are always very impressed.

Students tend to surround themselves with people from around the same geographic location they call home. Wisconsin is a very diverse campus, and the students can be very politically active.

Mostly, but Wisconsin students also know how to work hard.

That Wisconsin students are big partiers.

If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, it is because I am studying or hanging out with other people in my dorm. People party a lot. Sometimes it is hard to find social events that don't involve drinking.

As a freshman, my classes are large lectures, so my professors typically do not know me personally. If this is important, though, the professors hold office hours so you can go talk to them one-on-one. My classes are demanding, so I study every weeknight, and that is pretty common among other students I know, as well.

Kelly

I love Wisconsin. I think students here are proud to be Badgers. The school spirit is insane and undescribable. To be in the student section at a Badger home football game is a great experience. The school is definitely not too large. I think sometimes it could be bigger. I am always running into people I know everywhere I go. Madison is definitely a college town. When you walk around in downtown Madison everyone is usually between the ages of 18 and 25. It is a really great place to live with tons of activities and events going on every night. It is really hard to be bored living in Madison. Also, the scenery is wonderful (the Capital and two lakes...what else could you ask for?). On campus, I spend most of my time at Grainger because I am a business student and that is the building the business school is in. I sometimes think that Grainger is my second home with all of the amenities it offers (library, computer lab, cafeteria, lockers, study rooms). I think the only thing it is missing is my bedroom.

In Madison, people are very accepting of others. It is a very open environment. It is hard to be out of place at Madison because there will always be someone that is interested in what you like (there are just so many different students here). Students wear a variety of clothing to class. It varies from sweat pants and a sweat shirt to a suit and tie (people usually only wear suits on interview days though). But the variety does exist. There are a lot of students from Wisconsin, but there are definitely many students from out of state. The people from the coasts are given a harder time and often called "coasties." But overall, Madison is very excepting of everyone. Many students are very interested in politics because we are the capital of Wisconsin and the University is only blocks away from the Capital building itself. Most students are also very liberal.

The partying stereotype is not true at all. Most people don't even go out every weekend. It is a select few people that party almost every night and they usually drop out after their freshman year.

All Wisconsin students party almost every night of the week.

There is not really a "most popular" group. It all depends on what you are intereseted in. There is a group for everyone. I am involved in Associated Students of Madison (ASM), which is the student government on campus, and Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE), which is a business student organization on campus. I like both of these orgs. for very different reasons. With ASM, I am the Campus Safety Chair, so I get to help the community and make my campus safer. With SIFE, I am a project leader for a group that works on a simulation for high school students, so I get to teach them about the finances they will encounter after high school. The dorms are a great experience. I lived in them for two years and you meet so many people. For the most part, whoever is on your floor will be your best friends for the next four years. You go out together, study together, eat together, and learn to live on your own together. Athletic events are very popular since school spirit is so prevalent here. The most popular sports are mens football, mens basktetball, and mens hockey. I would definitely recommend getting football tickets (the price it totally worth every penny). The social scene really exists. At least someone on campus will be going out every night of the week. There is never a shortage of things to do. I am still wondering how I am going to fit everything I want to do into four years and it is coming down to crutch time. Every year, Halloween and the Mifflin Street Block Party are the two main events that go on in Madison. For the most party these are just two huge parties that take place on two different streets in Madison (State Street and Mifflin). Basically, everyone is just drinking and having a good time being with their friends.

Professors here only know your name if you make an effort to participate in class or visit them during their office hours. It is really on the student to get to know the professor. I like to think your experience is what you make of it. The large classes are nice for when you don't have time to read the chapters ahead of time, so you know you will not be singled out to answer a question. I almost feel like I learn more knowing that I only have to worry about paying attention and taking notes instead of also having to try to formulate answers to questions. Students here are very smart and it is great to be able to talk about real topics with other people my age. Students will also take the skills they learn in class and try to apply them in the real world especially in the business school where students will often start their own company with the support of other students and professors. It is just a great environment where we are all constantly learning whether we are in the classroom or just hanging out with friends. As far as getting a job after college, recruitment at Madison is amazing. So many top companies come to Madison to recruit solely Wisconsin students and that is a great feeling to know they just want us. With that though, our professors put a lot of pressure on us to do well and make our classes challenging so we are prepared for these companies and will be successful.

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.