Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

Melissa

the best thing about wisconsin is the school spirit. it is truly amazing and i love how everyone is so into supporting all the activities going on around campus. i think wisconsin is the perfect size. some may think it is too big, but you always see people you know when you are walking down the street. wisconsin is definitely a college town, more like a college state. everyone loves the badgers!! this year when the weather went crazy and we got over 90 inches of snow the biggest complaint was the sidewalks weren't ever completely shoveled until a week after a storm.

no one would feel out of place here. there are so many different types of people, everyone can find a group to hang out with and feel comfortable being themselves. with over 700 groups on campus there is something for everyone. different groups are also very accepting of each other, being a very liberal campus everyone gets along great!

YES! But all the midwest people hate them and we always have a good time making fun of them.

COASTIES, COASTIES AND MORE COASTIES!! A coastie is usually a girl (although some guys can be found and are referred to as moasties) from either coast and sometimes chicago that wears long north face jackets, uggs, leggings as pants, big sunglasses, and are loud and annoying. Coasties travel in packs and are not very smart. Jokes or stories about their idiocy are written weekly in the badger herald shoutouts.

if you go to office hours professors will remember you. in one of my lectures of 450 people my professor makes it very interactive and before you talk you have to say your name. since the same 20 people usually talk, she knows all their names, plus some others who have only talked once or twice. students study hardcore during the week and party hard on the weekends. but if a big exam is coming up, its not unusual for people to stay in and study.

Gabe

I definitely have pride, but all the science departments suck. Too much money into research, not enough into good teachers.

Too many student orgs that don't know how to coordinate together, and ASM doesn't do shit.

Everyone works hard, but plays harder. Coasties and sconnies.

I'm in the greek system. Not the biggest community, but fun.

Jordan

I think one of the best things about wisonsin are the Badger football games and basketball games. When a great deal of the student body gets together and has a great time it just sends a tingling feeling that you are apart of something much more. The size is just right. One of the greatest places on campus is the Union Terrace. Just sitting on the lake in the spring watching the sail boats, studying, drinking, or just enjoying time with friends - there is no better palace.

The ones I outlined above are. Yes it is cold most of the year and yes your friends from Arizona, Florida, California will make fun of you and you will be jealous. But, Wisconsin students know how to have fun, but they also know how to study and what needs to get done in order to succeed academically.

I think some stereotypes of Wisconsin is that it is just flat out cold, and it is. Others are that it is a huge party school, and there is no doubt that UW students love to party, but everyone I know puts in hours upon hours of studying just to go out on the weekends.

The school is large, some of the classes are large but you get some attention in discussion sections, which are typically less than 20 students. There is no doubt that this university is tough. One thing to take into account that advising is basically on your own and if you do get advice it is often etiher from a student or skewed to get you to stay in school longer.

Jerry

Wisconsin is a huge school but in many ways doesn't feel like it. For one, you can't walk down State Street and not run into at least one person you know. Unfortunately more and more chains are popping up, but State Street and downtown Madison as a whole still have a lot of character. One of my favorite things to do on a nice day was to get food from one of the carts on Library Mall and sit out on Bascom Hill or the Terrace. The Willy Street area and the lakes are two other great spots. Madison is definitely a bubble, but one that I was happy to take advantage of for four years.

The Wisconsin campus lacks a lot of racial diversity, but is probably more socio-economically diverse than many other schools. Madison is a very open-minded and progressive community and for the most part campus feels the same way. It's hard to generalize, because while I made my experience full of political activity and surrounded myself with people who also felt it was important to be engaged in that way, there were plenty of students who chose not to, and I definitely don't think that the campus is as radical as it once was.

While there are a multitude of bars and house parties to frequent on any given night (and certainly people who do), Wisconsin has such a big and diverse student population that this lifestyle by no means characterizes the majority of students. As for "coasties," I think that the stereotype can be accurate to an extent. Being from California I definitely experienced people putting me in a box, assuming I lived in a certain private dorm and had joined a sorority -- both of which I hadn't done. In the end it's less about the coasts though, and more an issue of money and acting entitled.

Wisconsin has a decent bar scene for a city of its size, which isn't surprising given the hordes of young folks with disposable income and fake IDs. The bars up by the capitol tend to be a little more low-key than the very typical college bars around State Street. I found that either people cherish Wisconsin football and go to every game or really couldn't care less. And even though the football-goers make themselves seen and heard, I wouldn't necessarily assume its the majority of people. One thing I would recommend is the Distinguished Lecture Series, which brings in great speakers and is free for students.

As in any large research university, there are those professors who are clearly more invested in their own research and academic pursuits than actually teaching effectively. I found that it was generally better to base class choices off of a professor's reputation rather than the subject of the course. I studied history and sociology and had a much better experience in both of these majors once I was able to take smaller classes and seminars. However, some of my best classes were somewhat large lectures, and again, this was because of stellar professors. Though Wisconsin has the party school rep, you can find students studying at all times of day and night, and some of my best memories are of late nights spent studying (and not studying) with my friends. Three professors I would recommend are Florencia Mallon, Bill Cronon, and Erik Olin Wright.

Wisconsin has the reputation of being the country's #1 party school and as a result the idea is that everyone drinks a lot. There are also prevalent stereotypes attached to students who come from the coasts (so-called "coasties"). They are stereotyped as dressing a certain way, sticking together in pack-like groups, and giving off a general sense of entitlement and snobbery. The steotypical coastie has quite the disposable income to wear expensive clothes, go out drinking whenever he or she pleases, and live in the handful of way overpriced apartments in the desirable spots close to campus (although presumably, their parents pay).

seth

Wisconsin is awesome. State street is amazing. great sized campus, awesome college town. its just a little chilly

a little segmented between sconnies, mid westerners, and coasties. then there is the public dorm private dorm seperation. it can be a little annoying at times but it is still awesome

amazing academics. I am in the business school and it is a top notch program

first we pre game before going to the pre bar, then its time for the bars, then we go somewhere to A-Bar, before going to bed and doing it all over.

cheese, brats, football, and beer

Laura

I think that the stereotypes are accurate to a certain extent...but we also work really hard academically. Work hard...play hard.

A major stereotype is that all we do is drink and party...which do not get me wrong, we definitely do enough of that! I think that our football fans are also known as being very rowdy, rude drunks to the opposing team.

Charlie

They like the badgers. They should be wolverine fans.

Jordan

Best thing about Wisconsin is the town of madison--best college town I've ever been to...I'd make it more competitive to get into--the range of how smart people are, is really diverse. It;s jsut right in size. People are always jealous when I tell them I go here. I spend most of my time in my dorm or my fraternity house.

While there is a strong bar and party life, there are also house parties and many students who like to spend Saturdays nights at home with just a couple of peeps.About th liberal and anti Israel aspect I haven't heard any anti-Israel comments, and I've found that while it is as liberal as any other college, it isn't off the hook, and there is a strong republican contingency.

Before I came here I heard that all students party like crazy, the social scene is purely bars, it is incredibly liberal, and it is strongly anti Israel.

Professors all know my name, faviorete class is intro to Islam, least fav. Econ 101

Andy

---best thing: there is always something to do and people are friendly ---worst thing: we only get two breaks. i wish we got more little ones rather than two big ones ---the administration is not bad but its really easy to slip through the cracks if youre not careful. for example, if you need to get into a class but its not open by the time you are able to enroll no one cares. ---i guess the biggest thing on campus is tuition prices ---there is TONS of school pride!!!!!!!!!!

---there are tons of school sponsored groups that cater to different groups ---lots of different students interact in classes but outside of class i think it just depends on the activities and groups you are involved in ---a lot of people are politically aware. most people are left winged but some people lean to the right. i would say that there is a pretty good mix of people

I dont think they should be. i think there are a lot of people here who dont drink or dont want to drink but there are just not enough social things to do on weekends so people resort to drinking.

---until upper level classes you dont really work with professors, just the TA's. ---i though that when i came to college there would be nothing but intelligent conversation...but people talk about meaningless stuff more than politics and world issues. i think it depends on who you hang out with but in general i would say that its not much different than high school. ---class participation is about 50/50 and it depends on the people ---some people study constantly but most people can balance fun, studying and activities

---football and hockey are the biggest things

That we drink all the time. People come to visit me and then think that is all we are going to do. But the kids here are smart too. The joke is that we still do well on tests even when we're drunk

Zachary

The best thing about Wisconsin, although I am very biased, is the Greek Life. If I could change one thing, it would be the necessity to apply to your program of choice, even after you have been admitted to the university. I believe that if they think you're capable enough to take your families hard earned tuition dollars, they should let you study whatever you want. Being from a coastal town in Southern California, when I tell people that I go to Wisconsin, the overwhelming response is an emphatic "Why?" Most of my time on campus is spent in class, but off campus I divide my time between State Street and the fraternity house. Madison is a great college town, and there is a lot of school pride.

The best way that I could put it, is that there are many University of Wisconsin's. There is the school that Playboy has dubbed Number One Party School, and beleive me, one would be hard pressed to ignore that aspect of the university. There is also a rich tradition of academic excellence and pride at University of Wisconsin. It has often been said that if it weren't for the all too regular subzero temperatures, the University of Wisconsin would have a chance to crack the Top 20 list of US colleges. There is also Big Ten althetics, which often go hand-in-hand with parties and alcohol, but can also be a source of sober entertainment. Additionally, people often think of Wisconsin as not being the posterchild for the American Heart Association, if you know what I mean. Madison, however, has state-of-the-art access to exercise facilities and resources which if sold in a major marketplace would charge no less than a hundred dollars a month for membership. These are all provided gratis to University of Wisconsin students and faculty, and has helped make Madison America's Third Healthiest City. Finally, to address the label of "coastie". Does it come up? Absolutely. Does it form any measurable divide within the student body on any level? I really don't think any University of Wisconsin student, regardless of geographical origin, would agree that it does. University of Wisconsin students have a great mutual respect for each other on both a social and intellectual level, and that is part of what makes Madison, WI a very happy place to be.

The University of Wisconsin is, although decreasingly so, labeled as the prototypical party school. We are, in addition, typecasted as the leading consumers of beer, brats, and cheese. Furthermore, high school seniors looking into the University of Wisconsin more likely than not have heard the label of "coastie", a less than affectionate characterization of students migrating from the East or West coast to attend the University of Wisconsin, come up.

Professors, by no fault of their own, tend not to know they're students' names. This is because of the large size of most of the classes. On the flipside of that, every TA that I have had has gotten to know my name, and a little about me, due to the small size of the discussion sections. Students vary greatly in their studying. Some study a lot and do well, some study a lot and do poorly. Some student little and do well, and yes, some study a little and do very badly! Intellectual conversations don't tend to dominate the outside the classroom talk, and students are not as competitive with each other as say, University of Michigan. I think that the education at Wisconsin is very much skewed towards learning for its own sake, which makes it advisable to join a career oriented club.

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.