Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin-Madison

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Madison

1. Laid back feel 2. I wish the university was better at shoveling the snow and getting rid of the ice on the sidewalks 3. just right 4. jealousy 5. bars, restaurants...oh, and class 6. major college town 7. pretty good 8. the band trip hazing 9. yes! 10. We get LOTS of snow and it's really cold 11. 2004 Halloween--all the people, the riots, and the pepper spray 12. Too cold

1. Hillel (Jewish organization) 2. a quiet, reserved student 3. jeans, sweats, leggings, UGGS :) 4. not really 5. Coasties, Asians, intellectuals, everyone else 6. Wisconsin, east and west coasts, Chicago, Minnesota 7. mixture 8. predominantly left, VERY aware 9. yes

1. men's football, hockey, and basketball 2. Hillel 3. in Statesider, yes; Towers, no. Not sure about other dorms 4. very popular--athletic events, especially men's football, basketball, and hockey; guest speakers--if it's a good on; never been to the theater 5. lots of guys and girls to choose from, whether you are heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual 6. sorority, dorms 7. watching tv, on my computer, or sleeping 8. Halloween, Mifflin Street Block Party, homecoming 9. at least 3 nights/week 10. not very important 11. went out (drank) and watched a movie at home one night 12. smoke, movies 13. movies, shop, eat

1. in smaller classes 2. favorite--Politics of Human Rights (PS 317), least favorite--psychology 3. everyday, not me 4. yes 5. definitely 6. somewhat 7. not sure 8. political science, Jewish Studies 9. no 10. reasonable 11. not sure

We are a bunch of party animals! But that's ok!!

Steve

The best thing about Wisconsin is the tradition and how the students come together at sporting events. It has tremendous school pride and it has a great campus. I spend most of my time at my dorm, library, and frat house.

From my experience I haven't experienced much diversity because most of the kids from my dorm are from towns similar to mine.

It is a big party school, but in my opinion it is no different than any other school. The stereotype about the in-state students is not true. I would say that the school does work very hard and does have a lot of fun as well, but we always get our school work done first.

They only know my name if I have gone into office hours several times. Students study ALOT. During finals week the library was absolutely packed until crazy hours in the morning. There is no way to succeed at Wisconsin without studying a great amount. It is very competitive and challenging.

The athletic events are very popular. People party a lot. Tuesdays, thursday, friday, and saturday are common days to party. I am in a frat and it is a very big part of my life. On a friday/sat. there isn't much to do if you aren't drinking. The union sometimes has events and you can rent a movie or something, but the majority of people go out.

Many people feel that it is a huge party school. The in-state students are thought of as not as smart as the other students. It is a highly competitive school that has a "work hard, play hard" mentality.

Blair

One of the best things about Wisconsin is the amazing school spirit that not only unifies the school, but also leads to incredible school pride - we're proud to be Badgers. I would include more of a minor program (the certificate program is quite small with only twenty or so certificates available, a fact that's even more extraordinary considering how there are over 100 majors to be attained here). The school is about the right size for what it is - people don't come to Wisconsin looking for a small school, but there's enough of a community aspect on campus that it feels to large either. People usually react to the news that I go to Madison with "that's a really good school" or "big party school, isn't it?" I spend most of my time on campus at my sorority house (where I live) and at class. Madison is definately a college town in that it's very student-friendly, but it also is wonderful in that the larger community integrates pretty well into the edges of campus (there's no jarring feeling of here you're on campus, here you're off). I don't have a lot to say about Wisconsin's administration (from lack of exposure), but I wish the university would be better about calling snow and cold days BEFORE 3-5pm (it's often colder earlier in the day, and that's when most people have classes). Biggest recent controversy: people getting ready for the Wisconsin primary (especially with all of the candidate and surrogate visits in the week or so before the election). Wisconsin IS school pride in Bucky the Badger form. Wisconsin is unusual in that, even though it's a big state school, the overall community feeling of the campus is such that when you meet a fellow Badger (not on campus), the neutral feeling towards them is goodwill. I will always remember the football games - I might not know the most about football, but that's where the true feeling of Wisconsin spirit can best be known, during a game. Most frequent student complaints: cold in winter? (we're in WI, what do you expect?)

They've been positive, but I'll admit they haven't been extensive. A student who is anti-social, hates walking around outside (esp. to class), and sees no value in campus involvement (of any sort) would feel quite out of place here. Many students wear jeans and something on top. There are different types of students here, and I think they do interact, but perhaps not as much as they could. Lunch table groups: a) the jock-types who enjoy a side-scene of drinking/partying; b) the Greeks, who share many characteristics with the jocks, but are also incredibly involved all over campus; c) the earnest intellectuals who likely are involved in some kind of research on campus and/or are most likely to have a strong student-professionals than other groups; d) the Wisconsin in-staters who often grew up with Badger pride, and get really involved on campus [*** these groups are NOT mutually exclusive]. Something like 60-65% of students here are from Wisconsin (state school), 10% are from Minnesota (reciprocity agreement), many are here from the Coasts (esp. New England), as well as a sizeable international group. Prevalent financial backgrounds: a) parents are paying for school - cost no object; b) parents are paying for school - cost considered; c) student paying for part, parents paying for part; d) students funding their own education in its entirety. Politically, many students are aware, if not quite active - most are somewhere between left-of-center and left, but many are also in the right-of-center and right spectrum. Future earnings aren't hugely discussed that I've seen, but I'm not a senior.

Wisconsin is a predominantly white campus (but our diversity rates are higher than many institutions) that is rather liberal (but there's a great deal of political vigour on both sides - it's more true that we're a very political campus than that we're just a liberal campus). Our (pre-)professional schools have exacting standards for admittance, but those schools are so strong that many come to Madison for the opportunity to get into those programs. There is a sizeable "Coastie" population, but not all those who dress "Coastie" are from the coasts. We are rabid Badger fans - we have an incredible amount of school spirit that bleeds into many aspects of university existence. Wisconsin has a reputation for partying, but we also have a reputation for exellence in academic achievement as well.

That the school's white (like predominantely white WI)and has a incredibly liberal bent. That we're crazy into Badger sports, one of the top party schools in the country, and drink constantly. That "Coasties" live in the private dorms (usually Towers and Statesider) and wear UGGs, leggings, and North Face. That the Greek community follows the same stereotypes that seem to be pervasive everywhere. That the J-School, School of Ed and Business Schools are near impossible to get into. That we're a "big state school" with all that that entails.

The sports teams (esp. football, basketball, hockey and crew) are incredibly popular, as is the marching band, but the Greek community is also burgeoning (the last three fall recruitments have all successively had the biggest turnout ever). I'm involved in the mock trial program, as well as the Delta Delta sorority; Tri Delta is amazing in that we not only have fun together as a group socially, but we also give back to the community through community service, and every girl is involved in at least one other campus activity. Depending on the dorm and floor you live in, the door policy differs [on my floor in my dorm last year, we were open-door]. Sports are huge on campus - people wait outside, overnight for days to get hockey/basketball tickets with their friends, and football ticket sales online sold out in under three days last year. Guest speakers are somewhat popular, but not hugely. Theatre is somewhat popular on campus - but there is also some student interest when shows come to the Overture Center. Dating scene on campus has a healthy mix of couples and singles (this isn't a huge M.R.S. degree school, and most studetns are married). I met many of my close friends through the dorms last year, a few from Choral Union[a UW choir], and several through Tri Delta. If I'm awake at 2am on Tuesday, I'm probably doing homework or studying for an exam. Major transitions on campus include football to hockey/basketball, fall to spring semester. Major events include Homecoming, Greek Week, Humorology [the largest philanthropy on campus, the Greeks put on student-written musical comedies with the proceeds going to Camp Heartland and the Chris Farley Foundation], Halloween, St. Patrick's Day. People can be found partying most often Thursday through Saturday nights. Greek life on campus greatly contributes to the community, but by no means is it so pervasive that it's a necessary thing to be part of (Greeks make up a bit more than 30% of campus). Last weekend my sorority had a social and I spent a fair bit of time at the library working on a partner midterm. I don't drink, so I know Saturdays can still be fun without alcohol - whether it's going to a friend's appartment, having a social or staying in for movie night, it's all good. I don't do much off campus at Madison, I don't have a car.

Some of my professors do, the ones that I talk to and/or have in classes of under twenty students. My favorite class is Constitutional Law: the professor's amazing, knows the topic inside and out, and gives it his own unique quirks; plus, Con Law's utterly fascinating on its own. Least favorite class is American Racial & Ethnic Minorities: I was really excited when I first saw the syllabus because of the topics listed, but with a professor and TA who have thus far failed to make me think exceedinly well of their intelligence and presentation skills, I am somewhat more than underwhelmed. Class participation is common in small classes (understandably, in classes of 100+, particiaption is much lower - but to be fair, in large lecture classes, the goal of the class is to impart information,and those kinds of classes usually have discussion sections that promote participation there). Intellectual conversation can happen anywhere - some partake in it more than others (more likely to see in students who are/could graduate early. Students are very competitive to get into the (pre-)professional schools, but in the general undergraduate classes, competition is more to the view of competing against yourself than beating your classmates. My most unique class was History of American Political Thought (small seminar of 20-some students): we read up on most of the leading political thinkers from mid-1700s through 1920, discussed the readings in class, and would then periodically have paideia-style discussions where the students would form groups and represent a different thinker in the debates. My major, political science: I've adored every class I've taken in the poli sci department - my professors have all been amazing, and leaders in their fields. I don't spend much time with professors outside of class unless I go to office hours, except for occasionally seeing one professor who is the nominal advisor of the mock trial program on campus. Academic requirements aren't that difficult for me here, but I know that they're rigorious and not a cake walk. My education here I hope will help secure me a career, not just a job (though I do love learning for its own sake).

Melissa

the best thing about wisconsin is the school spirit. it is truly amazing and i love how everyone is so into supporting all the activities going on around campus. i think wisconsin is the perfect size. some may think it is too big, but you always see people you know when you are walking down the street. wisconsin is definitely a college town, more like a college state. everyone loves the badgers!! this year when the weather went crazy and we got over 90 inches of snow the biggest complaint was the sidewalks weren't ever completely shoveled until a week after a storm.

no one would feel out of place here. there are so many different types of people, everyone can find a group to hang out with and feel comfortable being themselves. with over 700 groups on campus there is something for everyone. different groups are also very accepting of each other, being a very liberal campus everyone gets along great!

YES! But all the midwest people hate them and we always have a good time making fun of them.

COASTIES, COASTIES AND MORE COASTIES!! A coastie is usually a girl (although some guys can be found and are referred to as moasties) from either coast and sometimes chicago that wears long north face jackets, uggs, leggings as pants, big sunglasses, and are loud and annoying. Coasties travel in packs and are not very smart. Jokes or stories about their idiocy are written weekly in the badger herald shoutouts.

if you go to office hours professors will remember you. in one of my lectures of 450 people my professor makes it very interactive and before you talk you have to say your name. since the same 20 people usually talk, she knows all their names, plus some others who have only talked once or twice. students study hardcore during the week and party hard on the weekends. but if a big exam is coming up, its not unusual for people to stay in and study.

Gabe

I definitely have pride, but all the science departments suck. Too much money into research, not enough into good teachers.

Too many student orgs that don't know how to coordinate together, and ASM doesn't do shit.

Everyone works hard, but plays harder. Coasties and sconnies.

I'm in the greek system. Not the biggest community, but fun.

Jordan

I think one of the best things about wisonsin are the Badger football games and basketball games. When a great deal of the student body gets together and has a great time it just sends a tingling feeling that you are apart of something much more. The size is just right. One of the greatest places on campus is the Union Terrace. Just sitting on the lake in the spring watching the sail boats, studying, drinking, or just enjoying time with friends - there is no better palace.

The ones I outlined above are. Yes it is cold most of the year and yes your friends from Arizona, Florida, California will make fun of you and you will be jealous. But, Wisconsin students know how to have fun, but they also know how to study and what needs to get done in order to succeed academically.

I think some stereotypes of Wisconsin is that it is just flat out cold, and it is. Others are that it is a huge party school, and there is no doubt that UW students love to party, but everyone I know puts in hours upon hours of studying just to go out on the weekends.

The school is large, some of the classes are large but you get some attention in discussion sections, which are typically less than 20 students. There is no doubt that this university is tough. One thing to take into account that advising is basically on your own and if you do get advice it is often etiher from a student or skewed to get you to stay in school longer.

Jerry

Wisconsin is a huge school but in many ways doesn't feel like it. For one, you can't walk down State Street and not run into at least one person you know. Unfortunately more and more chains are popping up, but State Street and downtown Madison as a whole still have a lot of character. One of my favorite things to do on a nice day was to get food from one of the carts on Library Mall and sit out on Bascom Hill or the Terrace. The Willy Street area and the lakes are two other great spots. Madison is definitely a bubble, but one that I was happy to take advantage of for four years.

The Wisconsin campus lacks a lot of racial diversity, but is probably more socio-economically diverse than many other schools. Madison is a very open-minded and progressive community and for the most part campus feels the same way. It's hard to generalize, because while I made my experience full of political activity and surrounded myself with people who also felt it was important to be engaged in that way, there were plenty of students who chose not to, and I definitely don't think that the campus is as radical as it once was.

While there are a multitude of bars and house parties to frequent on any given night (and certainly people who do), Wisconsin has such a big and diverse student population that this lifestyle by no means characterizes the majority of students. As for "coasties," I think that the stereotype can be accurate to an extent. Being from California I definitely experienced people putting me in a box, assuming I lived in a certain private dorm and had joined a sorority -- both of which I hadn't done. In the end it's less about the coasts though, and more an issue of money and acting entitled.

Wisconsin has a decent bar scene for a city of its size, which isn't surprising given the hordes of young folks with disposable income and fake IDs. The bars up by the capitol tend to be a little more low-key than the very typical college bars around State Street. I found that either people cherish Wisconsin football and go to every game or really couldn't care less. And even though the football-goers make themselves seen and heard, I wouldn't necessarily assume its the majority of people. One thing I would recommend is the Distinguished Lecture Series, which brings in great speakers and is free for students.

As in any large research university, there are those professors who are clearly more invested in their own research and academic pursuits than actually teaching effectively. I found that it was generally better to base class choices off of a professor's reputation rather than the subject of the course. I studied history and sociology and had a much better experience in both of these majors once I was able to take smaller classes and seminars. However, some of my best classes were somewhat large lectures, and again, this was because of stellar professors. Though Wisconsin has the party school rep, you can find students studying at all times of day and night, and some of my best memories are of late nights spent studying (and not studying) with my friends. Three professors I would recommend are Florencia Mallon, Bill Cronon, and Erik Olin Wright.

Wisconsin has the reputation of being the country's #1 party school and as a result the idea is that everyone drinks a lot. There are also prevalent stereotypes attached to students who come from the coasts (so-called "coasties"). They are stereotyped as dressing a certain way, sticking together in pack-like groups, and giving off a general sense of entitlement and snobbery. The steotypical coastie has quite the disposable income to wear expensive clothes, go out drinking whenever he or she pleases, and live in the handful of way overpriced apartments in the desirable spots close to campus (although presumably, their parents pay).

seth

Wisconsin is awesome. State street is amazing. great sized campus, awesome college town. its just a little chilly

a little segmented between sconnies, mid westerners, and coasties. then there is the public dorm private dorm seperation. it can be a little annoying at times but it is still awesome

amazing academics. I am in the business school and it is a top notch program

first we pre game before going to the pre bar, then its time for the bars, then we go somewhere to A-Bar, before going to bed and doing it all over.

cheese, brats, football, and beer

Laura

I think that the stereotypes are accurate to a certain extent...but we also work really hard academically. Work hard...play hard.

A major stereotype is that all we do is drink and party...which do not get me wrong, we definitely do enough of that! I think that our football fans are also known as being very rowdy, rude drunks to the opposing team.

Charlie

They like the badgers. They should be wolverine fans.

University of Wisconsin-Madison administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.