University of Wisconsin-Madison

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Madison

When I was searching for the right school, the biggest factor in my decision was campus. Coming from a relatively small suburb, I had an immense yearning for the metropolis. At the same time, I didn't want to be confined to the concrete jungle (see NYU or GW). Upon stepping out of the car for the first time in Madison, I immediately knew this was the campus I was looking for. The adjective that came to mind was 'bubbly'. Students were everywhere, coming, going, loitering, etc. Madison is perfectly situated in between two beautiful lakes, making for spectacular scenery in the fall, summer, and spring (but also bone-chilling winds in the gloom of winter). As one traverses the isthmus, they move from classic campus, full of quads, lawns, trees, and typical university buildings. Upon crossing Lake Street, Memorial Library on your left hand and the bookstore on your right, one finds themselves immersed in what I like to call "the perfect practice city". Madison has the bar scene, restaurants, commerce, foot traffic, and public transportation of a big city, without being overwhelming in the least. It is easy to walk from one end of the city to the other in less than 20 minutes and nearly impossible to get lost. State Street is the defining feature, and has been called the perfect college campus street; packed with bars, shops, and restaurants, State Street stretches from the campus area straight to the massive Capitol building. For the prospective student who wants the city culture, but is afraid of missing out on the old school college experience, Madison is the perfect campus.

I found the University of Wisconsin - Madison to offer a variety of specialized and challenging courses which were aimed at advancing ones personal growth. As a student of the art department, I gained a broad technical background as well as specific and concise knowledge both in and out of my field. The program challenged me to push the capabilites of materials, to think conceptually, and, ultimately, set me up with the tools and knowlege necessary to continue the pusuit of my MFA at an increasingly challenging university.

UW Madison lies between two lakes: Mendota and Menona. The isthmus houses UW Madison. There aren't many brick buildings and most of the large halls are old. At the center of our campus there is the landmark Bascom Hill with a large statue of Abraham Lincoln overlooking downtown Madison. It's a very pretty school with plenty of trees and greens in the lakeshore neighborhood and tall, modern buildings in southeast. It's beautiful.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is an academically challenging school that requires students to stay on top of their work at all times, but at the same time the school offers many different sports, activities, groups, and clubs to get involved with, and along with the attractive and entertaining city of Madison, it is a great place to live, work, and study.

UW-Madison is an excellent choice for students who desire superior academics and athletics, a beautiful campus area in a college-centered area, and an urban setting that incorporates the diversity and lifestyle of cities like Milwaukee and Chicago while still being small enough to navigate easily and safely.

This is a place to dabble in any and all the activities you've ever been interested in; including intramural sports, to clubs, greek life, concerts, arts; and you will always be learning new things from the people that you meet; amazing school spirit, this is a huge run-on-fragment of a sentence.

Uw Madison is a large sprawling campus with stunning buildings. Being on the edge of the lakes it's absolutely beautiful. At the same time it maintains some small town joy with buildings such as the Rathskeller, which resembles an old German mead hall.

The University of Wisconsin - Madison is an absolutely outstanding college with seemingly endless opportunities to challenge oneself and to broaden their horizons as long as they are willing to seek out and take advantage of those things available to them.

In my opinion, the University of Wisconsin- Madison is hands down the best university in America because it has the perfect balance of educational discipline and hard work combined with a fun atmosphere and great social life.

UW-Madison has a beautiful campus, unique atmosphere and a stong drive for academics, all good things but the small twon feel can be strange given its size and the school carries more prestige than it has earned.