University of Wisconsin-Madison

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Madison

A unique thing about UW-Madison compared to other schools I considered is the atmosphere. Students at Wisconsin love and are proud to be Badgers and represent this school. Another thing that is unique is football gamedays. The whole campus is a sea of red and everyone is out in the nice fall weather having fun and showing their school spirit. The Big 10 atmosphere of this school is unlike any other. Also what is unique is the academic prestige that the other schools I looked at lacked. This school is challenging and that's what makes it so great.

The most unique thing about the University of Wisconsin-Madison is that it uniquely blends into the city of Madison in a way that I have not seen from other colleges and universities. It is a strange feeling, knowing that it is a college campus, yet it is also just part of a city. Yet it is a balanced mixture. Other universities in urban environments either feel like a protected campus that happens to be in a city, or a massive city that happens to have a campus in it. The University of Wisconsin-Madison perfectly meshes the two environments.

Madison has an energy to it that just gets you excited- for what you're learning, for discovering new things, for living life- it's inspiring. I'm getting all emotional and excited just trying to find the words that fit to discribe Madison. UW-Madison is a place where you are really able to discover who you are, it gives you an opportunity to be learn and grow in an lively and stimulating environment. I love it here, and can't imagine that I would have had nearly the same, or as fulfilling experience anywhere else. GO BADGERS!

The school is huge, but at the same time I never found it overwhelming as I orgionally anticipated. You have the option to surround yourself in a more natural setting or in city life (medium sized city). While Madison has a reputation for its sports and drinking culture and most students drink quite a bit, there is so much else it has to offer from the second largest sailing club in the country to mountaineering, skiing, sky and scuba diving, martial arts and array of club sports many of which I never heard of before.

I had applied to three Big Ten schools; Purdue, Univeristy of Minnesota-Twin Cities and University of Wisconsin-Madison. I choose UW Madison over the other universities because it suited me best. UW Madison had a lot to offer as it was more affordable and closer to home. Madison also has academic prestige that very few schools surpass. It was a tough decision to make, but what really pushed me to choose Madison was my campus visit and tour. The instant I walked around campus, I knew Madison was the place for me.

The location to my home town was perfect. Only 1 and 1/2 hours away. Transportation back and forth is a breeze with a bus the state offers. My school has sooooooooo much to offer. I 'm interested in medicine and UW Madison has so much to offer me. I was able to jump right in my Freshman year and I took a class which offered "hands on" in the radiology department of the University Hospital. This has inspired me to pursue a major in Biomedical Engineering. I just applied to the program, wish me luck!

Madison is an extremely open and welcoming campus. There are so many opportunities to excel and there is a place for everyone to purse their interests. My favorite part of the school is how politically active and environmentally conscious most of the students are. It is very rewarding to be a part of such a active community, especially during one of the most infamous elections in United States history. I am very proud to be a Badger and I could not picture myself attending any other school.

"They will ask me where I went to college and I will say 'Wisconsin.' Their excited expression will turn to shame and all they will manage to get out is 'oh' because instantly they will know no story they can tell will top what I have done. I will not need to say a thing, they will just understand. They know that their wildest night of college was just a regular Thursday for us. We Wisconsin kids are a special breed. And trust me, everyone else is jealous."

This school is uniquely diverse both in population and class content. You can find some very specific and rare classes here in almost anything that interests you. Most of the professors are very experienced and good at what they do. The art and music scene is very prominent here. Also this school is on a beautiful campus right between two lakes. It offers both scenic, natural areas and a culturally diverse city.

UW-Madison's size lets me have much more control over social situations. By having so many people around, I'm never stuck with one group of friends, but I can make campus as small as I want it. Another thing its size does is give students an incredible range of available courses. There is something like 4000 available undergrad courses, so I'm never really confined to my discipline.