University of Wisconsin-Madison

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Madison

yes.. but somewhat skewed. we do party--there's on doubt about that. it's kind of a bummer that that's what teachers and parents first think of when you say you're going to madison. the school is TOP NOTCH and getting really really exclusive.. which i wish more people acknowledged than just those who have researched it. i believe we have 4.5 stars out of 5 for achedemics and 4 out of 5 for "social life" a.k.a..partying. another misconception is tha people are so happy with their social life in madison BECAUSE of the party scene. that's completely false. the entire city of madison will light up your life even when you're sober!!! it's so beautiful that it can't even be described--you have to experience it. you always see someone you know everywhere you go.. which i thought would be annoying but it's really comforting. also.. some of the partying aspects are skewed by parents to make the school sound more "badass" and rebellious. one adult said to me, "wow..madison huh? heard you guys are pretty crazy. i heard you actually have a BAR in your UNION!!" ...well yeah buddy.. that's true.. but it's not a crazy night time bar. it's a place where you go to get pitchers of beer and sit out on the terrace with friends in the afternoon or evening to RELAX after a hard day of exams/studying. it's where you sit out in an atmosphere of other carefree individuals in our terrace's signature colored chairs.. and just look at the water and laugh and kick back your heels. i wouldn't consider it an addition to our party scene.. but more an addition to our overall quality of life!

The campus was in mourning when Brett Favre retired, and some classes devoted much discussion time to this tragedy, but on the whole Wisconsin natives have much more culture than just cheese, cows, and Brett Favre. The university includes the best students from the state, and to be admitted into the school you must understand more than those basic subjects. Madison does have a history of being ultra-liberal, and extreme protests during the Vietnam War. However, there is never any political riots on the campus today. There may be riots for a crazy Halloween party, but never any fires and arrests over the policies of George W. Bush. The school is primarily liberal, and has elected one of the most liberal representatives in the US government, but not to the point of extremism that depicted the campus in the 1960s.

For a lot of people here, the weekend starts on Thursday (sometimes Wednesday), but I definitely don't think that EVERYONE is a party animal. I'm a transfer student, so it's easier for me to make comparisons, and Wisconsin is more of a party school than most schools, but I feel like we balance our partying and our working fairly well. The stereotype about Asian Americans is true, they're everywhere! But it's nice to know that our campus is diverse.

They can be - Wisconsin is a very large school and there is definitely a large drinking scene, but there are also lots of other opportunities to get involved and meet people that don't involve drinking. I wouldn't let this stereotype deter you from choosing Wisconsin, it is only one aspect of the wide variety of social activities available and it can be as big or as little a part of your college experience as you want it to be.

I would say the student's nature to let go on the weekends is pretty accurate. The social life on this campus is intensely centered on drinking; there is never a shortage of booze anywhere. I think this is complemented by the fact that most of us students do an incredible amount of work both in and outside of the classroom with student orgs. We definitely have the study hard play hard mentality.

Yes, in a way. The definition of party is strictly limited to jostling around in crowded dive bars waiting for overpriced drinks or wandering around house parties with one bathroom for fifty people. People do drink a lot, and the drunks all over town all the time are loud and obnoxious. Game day parties are raucous and largely annoying.

Yes. But sadly since the school got number 1 party school rated by Playboy the school and the city have been trying to change that. The truth though, I really dont think it'll make a difference. If they are stricter at bars then people would go to house parties. College kids will always find away around the so called "system."

These stereotypes, for the most part, are quite accurate. While any day of the week one can find people hitting the bars, there are as many people spending the night in one of our many libraries. Students here at Madison work hard, and party even harder.

No. Wisconsin, especially Madison is an amazing place with plenty to do. Madison is a wonderful city with so many opportunities and events. The people are extremely kind and welcoming.

For the most part, yes. Most of the stereotypes about coasties have been accurate. Farmers from small towns are relatively sheltered.