University of Wisconsin-Madison

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Madison

Located on a sprawling 935 acres, the campus can be a challenge to navigate between classes. With 40,000 students attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the campus is often crowed which complicates transportation across campus. The large population of students can seem overwhelming for a new student. Joining clubs, social groups and campus organizations helps with socialization and campus engagement making the huge University apear smaller.

There aren't many bad things about my school. The worst for me is probably the size of some of the lecture classes. I came from a small town and small high school and wasn't used to being in a class with more than 15 students. It was a big change and definitely intimidating at first. However, after the first year I became used to lecture classes and now somewhat enjoy them. It's a different sort of experience that everyone should try.

I feel that the worst thing about UW was the student governement. While not an important issue to many people, I was consistently unimpressed with their lack of actions and results on issues that students were very passionate about. Had there been no student government, I feel that most things would have been the same. I expect a student governement to make positive changes for those enrolled, not be happy simply having a role.

The worst thing about my school would have to that I don’t have any one-on-one contact with my professors. Yes, we do have TA’s that teach us during discussion, but I think that I would understand the material better if I could actually talk to the professors because they are the ones that are writing the books and the tests. Also because of the large class sizes I usually can’t ask the questions that I want to during lectures.

At times the size of the university and classes can be really daunting causing me to feel disconnected from professors and academic counselors. However, after some time of getting used to my new environment, it hasn't been that bad. It can still feel intimidating when comparing yourself to so many other students in the same class, especially when we are focusing so much on competition and being the best.

There's so many opportunities out there, so many groups, clubs, events. The worst part is knowing what you should do. If you don't go to the first couple meetings of a group, it's hard to really "become part" of it. They will welcome you with open arms, no doubt, but it's a little weird, I think. So just go into everything at the very beginning, and choose what you want to commit to.

The worst thing is the divided school population. By this, I mean that there are many students who come to UW Madison to learn and are serious about their studies, but there are also many students whose list of priorities don't even seem to include learning. On the upside, it seems that those whose primary interest is learning more than compensate for those who don't seem to care.

Since the University of Wisconsin-Madison is home to thousands of students, it is hard to get individual attention that students need. It is also challenging to stand out from the crowd. Although Madison offers a lot of advising and extra help outside of classes, it is difficult for advisors and teachers to find the time to meet with each student that is in search of help.

The worse thing about UW-Madison is also something I consider one of its strengths, the sheer size of the school. On one hand, you can meet new people everywhere you go and it is easy to find others that share your interests. But on the other, the enormity of the campus makes getting around difficult at first, and just about every class is a minimum of 15 minutes away.

The worst thing about Madison is the walking. None of the classes are close, but they are all worth walking too. You definitely have to think ahead if you want to go somewhere because you eithr have to walk 20 minutes are catch a bus, or ride a bike if you are lucky enough to have one. This is especially bad when it is raining (or snowing) but I have gotten used to it.