University of Wisconsin-Madison

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Madison

I think that this school could do a better job recruiting diverse minorities. There are a lot of international students that go here, but the school could do a better job recruiting more diverse environment within the US. The school should also look into parking for students that live off campus. Finding parking on campus is either crazy expensive or not available.

I consider the worst thing at UW-Madison is sometimes the professors that are ten-yeared aren't very good at explaining to students, and often times TA's especially in the math and sciences don't speak english and so it makes it so that the main way to succeed is by self-teaching. Those that don't learn well by themselves may be at a disadvantage at certain times.

The size and confusing organization of campus. Much of the campus is spread out over a large area so it can take a long time to walk to class and initially the organization of campus can be confusing to new students, I find its helpful to carry a map of campus with me at all times even after I've learned my way around there are always others that ask for help.

The worst part about Madison is that it is so large and the school is not interesting in helping freshman adjust. It is definitely a taste of the real world. Adjusting to college was hard because Madison offered few events to help freshmen get involved and meet other students and also provided no resources for academic help. You are truely on your own.

The winter weather. The city is beautiful and the weather is perfect in the spring and summer, but it gets really cold during the winter. During the warmer parts of the year I enjoy swimming in the lakes around campus and to excercise outside, but the weather interferes with this during the winter, which might be better for me academically.

I believe my school is very competitive in academics and is sometimes hard to pursue your interests if you are not necessarily the best in the field. If you are not in the head of the class, you may feel discouraged and think you are doing poorly, even though it is just because there is so many people competing for the same spot as you are.

Unfortunately, our school has been in the limelight quite a bit for alcohol related incidents. I feel this negative attention puts people's focus on the party reputation our school has earned rather than all of its various positive attributes such as its rigorous academic curriculum, unlimited club opportunities, and global outlook.

The worst/best thing about the University of Wisconsin ? Madison, depending on how you look at it, has to the level of competitiveness shown by the students. It makes for a challenging learning atmosphere but also can be very distracting and at times over-intensified. This places a lot of unnecessary pressure on students.

The lack of diversity is the worst thing about the school. It is in the central midwest, and a large portion of the students are white, straight, middle-class. There are groups of other ethnicities, social standings, sexual orientations, etc., but they are small and don't really feel a large part of the campus.

I cannot honestly say that there is anything bad about my school. I love the classes that I am taking, and there are so many opportunities here! I am really happy at this school. I suppose Madison could have less hills so getting to class wouldn't be such a workout, but I'm not sure that can really be changed.