University of Wisconsin-Madison

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Madison

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Applying to schools back when i was a senior in high school was extremely stressful. Most people i knew in high school were all applying to the same schools and universities and that created a lot of competition. I visited the University and stayed with a few friends before applying and fell in love with the school because although it is so big, it feels small and homey because everything is in walking distance and the buildings are close to one another. I took tours with my parents and they too loved the school yet knew that it might be difficult to get into. I was attracted by the great notoriety that the school had, the big rah rah school spirit and it had a great education school which was the program i was interested in at the time. The University of Wisconsin was my reach school when applying and my test scores were on the lower end so i knew i had to count on my grades and extracurriculars to make me stand out. Thankfully i got in and it was the first school i had heard from and i knew that i wanted to go here immediately

I've always known at some point I would be at school at UW Madison. I guess in part it's because it's where my parents met, both of them being graduates from the university here. Also, my grandparents on my mother's side as well as numerous aunts and uncles graduated from this university. I started my college at a smaller university, UW LaCrosse, but after just one year I knew it was just too small for me. I decided to transfer to UW Madison and have never regretted my decision. I like that it's big, I can make the choice of whether I want to be just another anonymous face in my classes or if I want to personally know my professors. I also like the Madison area, the community here is ideal.

I had never even heard of the University of Wisconsin before my junior year of high school. When my parents recommended looking into Madison, I thought they were crazy. I had never even been to Wisconsin before. But it's a capitol city, and I love politics, so that's an experience you can't get at very many other places, and it's far from my home (a 9 hour drive), which I wanted. Touring campus sold it for me. I'm still struck with awe at times and how beautiful campus is, even as a junior, be it seeing the capitol every day walking home, seeing State Street, seeing the Kohl Center, looking at the old buildings... I love this campus.

Madison it's self is simply a wonderful place. There is a great music culture, sports culture, and social enviroment here. So no matter if you're a jock, a hippy, or simply a friendly nerd (like myself). There is always something to do here. The classes are challenging and the staff extremely helpful, but these aren't the only reason I decided to come here. Madison is simply put one of the friendlest places I have ever lived.

UW-Madison provides many desired and challenging degrees. I personally chose UW-Madison because of their great English department and School of Journalism. Also, my mom, aunt, uncle and grandmother attended UW-Madison. The collective feel of Madison from the beautiful community on the lake to the rigorous course work contributed to my decision, too.

It's the best package deal in America as far as universities go. Top 50 academics. Great athletics. Great atmosphere. Amazing city(town). There's nothing anywhere else that UW Madison doesn't have.

I went for Engineering but then realized it wasnt for me

Great school, great programs, campus feel

football had something to do with it

Great location