University of Wisconsin-Madison Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Wisconsin-Madison

nicole

I love Madison. It has very quickly grown to be my home away from home. There is always something fun to do either on campus or in the city! The city breathes good energy and has a magical vibe, especially at night! Winters are cold, but with a good coat and a good pair of boots the 20 min walk to class becomes a little more bearable. Everyone I have met has been very nice and warm-hearted. Your college experience really depends on how you approach it, with an open mind and a positive outlook it is easy to be able to call UW-Madison "home" and the friends I have made there my family.

Danielle

Love it here. Chose to move to Madison on a whim, and don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon.

Gabriella

I love the university and it makes me feel very at home. There is something for anyone to take interest in - sports games, art demonstrations, museums, and a plethora of student organizations for one to participate. There is a wide range of class difficulty and there is a class fit for everyone.

Elise

To Madison or not to Madison Is there even a question? Amongst the white and red you see The students roam, wild and free "'Twas the time of my life!" our parents once said And they’re right, I’ve hardly found a moment in bed Romping about in game-day attire We watch Camp Randall jump higher and higher The fourth quarter comes and to our delight The Badgers are winning, and have not a fright Athletes, Artists, and Greeks alike Find peace and solace on paths for their bike Monday comes with a welcomed vaccine Of funny professors and loads of caffeine Studying in the libraries may seem like a bore But not with the view of a gorgeous lake shore So join me next year, you should apply soon To sing Rah-Rah! beneath the light of the moon

I love it here and would not trade my experience for anything. I love the large student population because you truly get to choose who you hang out with but have endless opportunities to meet new students. I have found a great community on campus that supports all other aspects of my experience.

Leah

Overall, the University of Wisconsin Madison is an extremely great campus. There is an abundance of extracurricular activities along with campus facilities. The campus has an overwhelming amount of opportunities to get involved and there is a very competitive environment​.

Dana

I love UW Madison. When I was applying to schools, I considered madison my "back-up" school. However, I visited campus and went to a football game and I never looked back. The campus is gorgeous, the students are genuine and the academics are globally recognized. I wouldn't trade going to Madison for anything. I am beyond happy with my decision.

Briona

Two words that best describe the University of Wisconsin-Madison: tradition and opportunity. Students at this university take great pride in calling themselves Badgers because of the legacy that the school beholds in academic excellence. Students have the opportunity to succeed through a variety of outlets that UW offers.

Carly

I think UW-Madison is a great school! There are so many ways to get involved on campus. However, depending on the group you join, it may not be run the best, so the information might be hard to get (rely on emailing!). Lots of these organizations also realize you are a student here and studies come first, so there are many different levels of commitment. I would say the dorms are either what you should expect coming to college or better! UW-Madison probably has a renovation project or two every year to improve their facilities. Not gaining the "freshman 15" is also not a problem here with the SERF (a recreational facility) and such a big campus, you are always walking (which may be a downside). However, they do give the students a free bus pass that goes everywhere in Madison, so it is not too hard to go pick up food or go see a movie. The food on campus, for someone who is relatively picky, is actually pretty good! They always have fruits and vegetables (desserts, too), and a wide array of cuisine to choose from. Their course choice is also huge, too, almost intimidatingly so. The campus does offer and promote using an adviser so that you do not get overwhelmed with your choices. As expected, class size will be huge, but all professors hold office hours which are helpful, plus there are smaller discussions for some. Lastly, it goes without saying that the athletics here are phenomenal. From someone who thought this school would be too big and not the environment that I wanted, I can happily say I picked a good school.

I have loved my experience here at UWM so far. As a student interested in continuing my studies with Chinese, I was super excited that I was able to study fashion design at the same time. My academic adviser is super supportive and is always giving me good feedback to ensure that I stay on track for schooling . There is always something going on on campus, so it's good to plan out which things I want to go to in my scheduler. The sports culture is amazing, and we've got mad love for football. Overall I love it here, it's not as diverse as most college campuses (considering the fact that it is a PWI) but the multicultural and minority communities are tightly knit and still make a way for students and diversity to intertwine. I love my school, and it's honestly the best choice I made in my life. College is a time for us to grow and mold into the adults we wish to be, and picking the right place for your education, the place where you will be living for the next few years, is a big part of it. #gobadgers

Vanessa

The University of Wisconsin-Madison strongly encourages students to interact and find common interests through their creation of multicultural spaces, endless volunteer opportunities within the community, and engaging extracurricular activities that provide students with leadership positions, social awareness, and a much needed break from studying. In addition, Madison's inviting atmosphere makes the University feel safe and comfortable, which gives all of its students a beautiful home away from home.

Mackenzie

Honestly, I can't say enough about the University of Madison. Coming from a smaller place, I absolutely love the bigger city atmosphere. I normally don't see the same person twice in one day, and I have met some of the best people here. Also, the sports here are huge, how can you not want to be a badger? I would definitely recommend this campus to anyone who is looking for a diverse, and full of life environment. There is always something to do, someone to meet, and some place to discover. The boundaries are endless at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Nguyen

Madison, Wisconsin is a beautiful town nestled between two lakes, with a good balance of city life that comes from the southeast community and beautiful nature that comes from the lake-shore community. The people are amazingly friendly and the school is a world-class research institution with many professors also heading ground-breaking research on various topics. Students are extremely driven academically yet that does not take away from the fact that UW-Madison is a top party school with a work hard, play harder mentality. While the school is very large, it is not the most diverse campus in the country which is probably the biggest con.

Cynthia

It is a wonderful school. It has a strong academic standing and a lot of extracurricular activities that allow people to participate in. The teacher are wonderful, they take out their time to explain and be available for students that will need help in their subject. We have a strong sport atmosphere especially for football. There is a lot of research opportunity . One place to visit is the Wisconsin Terrace. There is a lot of music, people, and a beautiful view of the lake.

Raquel

The University is a great place for a great education and a to meet new people. There are always things to do on campus both if you need a study break and if you need people to study with. The badger community to all about helping every one grow and reach their potential. I have both seen and experienced this from staff and students throughout my time at UW. There is a love for the University that can be seen and felt anywhere, especially on game days. There is no place I'd rather go to school than here, and I think that it is worth considering no matter what major you are looking into. You will get both a great education and have an amazing college experience as a badge.

Casandra

I love University of Wisconsin-Madison! I grew up in Madison and have dreamt of going to school here since I was a child. Madison is a beautiful city with so much diversity in food, cultures and people. At the center of it all, it the University. I would be lying if I did not admit that Madison is definitely a college town but I think going to school in a college town gives us a better experience. The students are at the center of it all and we are giving lots of attention. The academics are very strong, the professors are great, classes challenge us to work hard and learn a lot, and there are so many clubs that make it so easy to get involved and meet people! I would recommend this amazing University to anyone and everyone.

Brianna

The University of Wisconsin is a very great school that provides many different opportunities for a variety of different people. There are many different extracurriculars, jobs, research opportunities and great facilities for everyone which makes the campus great. My only dislike about the school is how large the campus and class sizes are. It makes it hard to get to know your professor and your classmates.

Mia

An amazing experience. If you want the full "college experience," please, please, please consider Madison. Though I have only been to a semester of this school, I have completely fallen in love. The campus is gorgeous, the people are amazing, game days incredible, and the academics challenging. With State Street literally funneling onto campus, there is always something to do. Camp Randall is electric on football Saturdays. There isn't a moment that I've lived in those grody dorms that I haven't regretted my decision.

Rebecca

I loved my time at the UW.

Pachia

The UW is a great place for students who love to always be doing something, even just studying. There is a 24 hour library Monday-Thursday with select hours on Friday and Saturday which make it convenient when studying. Off-campus housing is also located almost directly on campus, which makes it easy to get to classes without too much commuting. As for drinking, it's also quite easy to not get involved if you choose to not do so. Don't be threatened by any rumors you hear of the school; you don't know what it's like until you get here.

Dylan

The education is more or less like any other university, but I really like the opportunities given here. I feel as though you can find a lot of connections here in many different fields. Another thing I like is how diverse the community is. There are groups for everything here. One big problem which is also really nice is that it's in the heart of downtown. It's hard to find reasonably priced living spaces here. I'm just glad my parents live close enough for me to commute. Another problem is that I feel the campus and student body are very big.

Matilyn

UW-Madison is an enormous school filled with extremely bright minds. As a girl from a a small town, moving to a big city such as Madison was a big change, as classes are much bigger than I was used to and much more difficult, and it was a huge change of scenery. However, I love that there is always something to do on or around campus for fun and there are so many extracurriculars available for students to join. There is a club for everyone at UW-Madison where they can feel at home. As for parties, I personally do not partake in underage drinking but I do often hear of many parties all over campus. I can confirm that Madison is known for its party scene for a reason.

Chuefeng

I do not necessarily care for this university. It is a good institution, don't get me wrong but it is simply not for me. What I want to do with my life is something this campus, surprisingly, cannot offer. One of the deans here said to me that it would be best that I transfer because Madison is not the place for me.

Chuefeng

I think the university tries. It tries and fails, but it still fails. There is a lot of white ignorance and white supremacy. There is a lack of inclusivity and intersectionality on campus as well. But that's what happens when 75% of the school's population is white.

UW-Madison is an amazing university with incredible academic opportunities and great school spirit. Located along the beautiful lake and down the street from the Wisconsin State Capitol, the campus is not only beautiful and serene, but it is in the heart of the state with great events always happening. The professors are doing amazing research in their fields and are very passionate about what they teach. If you attend UW-Madison you will get a great education and have a lot of fun!

Emma

I love the University of Wisconsin Madison. Coming into my freshman year I was a bit terrified because of the University's reputation for rigorous classes and huge class sizes. As I moved into my dorm, Witte Hall, everyone was welcoming and eager to begin the year. I was able to make a lot of friends from my hall, classes, and when I went out on the weekends. Game days are also one of the best parts about the school. As you step outside your door on football mornings a sea of red welcomes everyone. I have never been anywhere that gets so hyped for their team. I’ll never forget my first game day experience. Overall I think the UW is an amazing place. The city has so much to offer and it is truly impossible to be bored there. Classes are very challenging, but it just takes an extra bit of effort to reach your goals. Every since I stepped foot on campus I have become very determined to make a difference in the world, this is partly due to the Wisconsin Idea. It is an idea that encompasses every aspect of the UW. Students are taught that their actions and education should be geared toward the goal of helping more than just themselves or Wisconsin, but the whole world. I have been an advocate of this idea since my first tour. I think it is a fantastic idea to put in the minds of eager students as they enter college. I believe the University of Wisconsin Madison is a fantastic place to live and learn.

Class sizes are too big until you reach the graduate level courses and professors' / TA's office hours tend to be at awkward times so it is difficult to see them in person. However, questions posed over emails or discussion boards are addressed very quickly.

Kailla

I am a current first year student here at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and overall I really love the vibe that I get everyday here at the University. The social scene is really inviting and there is something for everybody from all walks of life. Everyone for the most part is very welcoming and excited for the overwhelming opportunities. The academics are the best on a public school scale in the midwest, and overall UW Madison is a great institution!

Brendan

My overall opinion of the University of Wisconsin-Madison is that it is a very well rounded school that gives everyone a chance to succeed depending on your personal choices. Many people told me this was a school where "everyone drinks all the time", and I was very nervous about this aspect because I did not want to participate in this activity. Once I got there and took classes in my major, I found many people that felt like me because they wanted to focus on classes/studying. This made me feel comfortable with the university. Also, there are many extracurricular activities to join depending on your interests, and the professors always had regular office hours or could schedule other times to meet with you for additional help (I have taken advantage of these opportunities numerous times). Besides the fact that there is some drinking culture, the only other negative is that there is some "snootiness" students and faculty have; they think they are better/their opinions matter more than people who live in other parts of Wisconsin. However, not many people feel this way. Overall, its top rated undergraduate nuclear engineering program and in-state tuition rate were the main deciding factors for me to choose to complete my undergraduate education at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Caitlin

UW Madison is an amazing university. Full of interesting people, places, and subjects. It affords students a chance to learn in a fun way. The advisers show a genuine, thoughtful interest in your plans and future. The sports are something you will be proud of. You won't be disappointed in this city or this school.

I love UW-Madison! Not only does the school offer exceptional academics but also many opportunities outside of academics! I enjoy my classes and have had excellent professors! I am involved in a club and fraternity and have had great experiences so far! I also attend sports events and have fun on the weekends! The school offers a great balance of academics and extracurricular activities!

Jillian

The best decision I have yet to make was completing my undergraduate degree at UW-Madison. There are endless opportunities for students in all areas of interest. Students at UW take pride in attending an academically challenging institution that offers diverse course offerings and research opportunities. In addition, the gorgeous city of Madison is surrounded by two lakes that students often kayak, paddle board, canoe, or even sail on! (lessons and rentals are available). Once the temperature hits 60 degrees, students flock to the terrace for some Babcock ice cream (made on-campus by dairy science majors), head to picnic point for a bon fire, get a few meals from food carts, or head to the Farmer's Market every Saturday. Badger tailgates for football games are something truly special in this college town! Every student can make their experience unique and find groups that they fit in with. After 4.5 years at UW I still have yet to do everything possible on campus! Best school ever!

Skylar

When I first came to the UW-Madison campus, I felt incredibly small and overwhelmed by the turbulent life bustling all around me. But, given time plenty of time between the move-in date and the first day of class, I came to love and enjoy the campus. The campus, more than the dozen places I've lived in my life, is my home. I have met the most wonderful, diverse, and continuously interesting people I could ever hope to. Students on campus help one another regardless of self-interest. Madison really works on forming a strong, cohesive community of students, and it excels at doing so. I joined a learning community, The Studio, and it helped me find people, opportunities, and fun on campus. Learning communities at UW-Madison are only a few hundred more on top of Housing, so it's rather quite worth your money and time. Because, at the end of this year, I know I'll be several steps ahead of other university students who did not get the benefit of constant academic and internship personnel. The University of Wisconsin-Madison is, by far, one of the most welcoming environments I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

Morgan

A very competitive and high quality academic program with a lot of opportunities for every field and interest. There are great clubs, sports, arts, and forms of entertainment. It is a very big school but is full of smaller communities to make it feel like home.

The campus is a great mix between city and a traditional college campus. There are a wide range of classes and all the professors are knowledgeable and kind. They make it easy to double major or minor and there are also a lot of clubs and activities on campus.

Danielle

It's a great school, there are always opportunities, but sometimes you have to actively seek them out. I enjoy the social life, but school is a bigger priority, which is the opinion of almost everyone I've met here. The dorms are decent, but some are really old. The food is okay, but it's nice that they are alway changing up the options.

Vanesa

I love the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I had always dreamed of going there as a young child, and I truly felt like it was a dream come true when I got accepted. Even walking through and partaking in the campus I find it hard to believe that I am at such a prestigious university. I adamantly feel like I am getting the best education, and am being provided with a multitude of avenues and opportunities through the university. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Chloe

I love the University of Wisconsin-Madison. It is my second home, it has introduced me to some of the most amazing people and it fosters individuality and intellectual success. Classes are challenging but not impossible, and there is always something to do, whether that be on a week night or a week-end. I could not be more happy with my choice of school.

Kathleen

I believe that while attending this school, it is hard not to immerse yourself in the prideful atmosphere. This school has so much pride within its culture, sports and academics. The coursework is definitely rigorous and I can tell that many students are being pushed to their limits and out of their comfort zones in and out of the classroom. This university is amazing and offers so many opportunities to its students.

Matthew

The conscious focus on group work and collaborative exercises that I have experienced while enrolled in the College of Letters and Science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has exposed me to many new perspectives and ideas. This has not only made me a more well-rounded and culturally aware individual, but has increased my curiosity and desire to learn outside of my comfort zone. This will be especially helpful as I prepare to enter the world of Communication, where diverse ideas and new perspectives are able to flourish. The University of Wisconsin-Madison is the idea school for students to find their path and develop a sense of self and security.

Magdalena

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is situated between two lakes and the views at any part of the day, regardless of season are phenomenal. The university has both the big city feel and the opportunity to take a multi-mile walk down Lakeshore path all the way to a peninsula with a gorgeous look of the campus and Lake Mendota. The first thing that drew me to this school as a high school junior, was that as soon as we exited the highway, everyone, young and old, was wearing Badger gear. The absolute pride in the school that is felt by everyone in the area makes me feel like I belong. The academics are rigorous and entertaining and you can definitely spice up your transcript with obscure classes with 20 students or great lectures of 300 students.

Biana

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is one of the greatest schools out there. We are really huge but lots of students make there experiences more close knit because there are so many social organizations to get students interacting with each other and building communities. Additionally we have such a wide range of options in terms of academics and student services.

Zac

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is filled with numerous amounts of resources poured into the students. However, it is the student's job to reach out to these resources. Successful people are not successful alone. At the University of Wisconsin-Madison, students enhance their communication skills and branch out their social network through the numerous resources provided at the University such as the internships and research projects offered. Undergraduate freshman students have the opportunity to participate in research projects alongside experienced doctors and scientists. Tutoring is offered in several dorms to be convenient for students. Jobs are very flexible for students and some may even offer up to 0 hours a week. The McBurney Center was also designed to aid students who are disabled. Overall, the University of Wisconsin-Madison is a friendly environment filled with talented individuals who all want to give back to the community and to also better the world that we live in.

Carlene

The University of Wisconsin--Madison is truly the most amazing school and not once have I ever regretted attending this school. I have met some of the most amazing people here that live all over the world, and I can attribute that to the dorm life, and the hundreds of organizations that the campus offers. UW-Madison has allowed me to learn in so many ways, from academics, to culture, to acquiring the skills necessary to be successful in the future. Even though the academics here are rigorous, the demand for hard work and determination I have developed will assist me when applying to the Pharmacology and Toxicology program and being a competitive applicant. Additionally, I have learned how to push myself beyond my comfort zone and be the best version of myself by understanding how to balance academics and extracurriculars that all have interest to me. If I did not attend UW, I would not have the confidence I have today to pursue pathways that I once thought were unreachable, such as the School of Medicine and Public Health.

allie

At first glance, UW may seem overwhelming with its massive campus and huge student population. However, there is something so unique about UW's culture that connects the students and the community together so it always feels welcoming. I know it sounds cheesy, but I think it's from the pride every student carries with them about our school. We all are serious about our education, enjoy lots of fun, are politically aware (you should have seen the streets of Madison when Obama was first elected president. Truly amazing), and we all live for the creative and weird thing that happens that week (be it the large group of boys who ran through lecture halls in thongs (professors just laughed along with us), learning how to Bucky, the Statue of Liberty frozen in our lake, etc). We are all together in this crazy college ride whether in Badger tailgates, binge study sessions at our 24-hour library, or in the long walks up Bascom will or down University Drive. At UW, college is more than a place to get an education (a top tier education at that), but it's a place to really discover yourself, expand your horizons, and really belong as a student and as an alumnus.

UW Madison is one of the greatest schools in the country. Top academics and top in sports, I am extremely proud to call myself a Badger! The school provides an top-of-the line education where you can study anything you want. It provides you the skills and support to grow as an adult and become a respected and successful contributing person to our vast and ever-changing economy.

Ryan

At first, I didn't like it because I found it too big and overwhelming. However, now that I've found my niche and got more accustomed to college life, I love it here! There are so many different kinds of classes and student organizations to join! The academics and student life are both amazing and living in downtown Madison is the best!

Elaina

It is an amazing school. Best academics, always something to do, great people, but horrible winter weather. Every badger has to own winter gear. The food in the area is amazing and dining hall food is actually pretty good. Lots of work opportunities and the hands down best art museum (Chazen Museum of Art) out of all the college affiliated art museums in the United States.

Haley

I am a transfer student from UW-Oshkosh, and I absolutely love UW-Madison this semester. The academics are unbelievably engaging, and it is known that the students here are held to a high standard. Every day in class I feel like the information is not only thoroughly explained, but also applied to situations in our everyday lives. I am so grateful for the opportunities that UW-Madison has given to me, such as belonging to Mu Kappa Tau- the honorary marketing society, Business, Badgers, and Beyond volunteer group, and the athletic department food and beverage crew. Through the clubs I joined I was able to meet tons of new people while also gaining more insight about future careers through presentations put on through these student organizations. Specifically, two individuals from Kohl's corporate office came in to present to us, and through their explanation of their personal careers, I was able to gain a more clear vision about what I personally want to do in the business world after I graduate from UW-Madison. Not only that, but there is no beating the scenery surrounding the Madison campus. The downtown area is always alive with people and fun activities to do, while the two lakes and nature paths are serene and peaceful. UW-Madison really is the best of both worlds in this regard, and I could not be able to ask for more!

Noe

It's a very white washed school. For students of ethnics minorities it's sort of intimidating to be around campus where the rest of the community is predominantly way more different than you in every aspect. The student life here Is very lively here though, there is always a party going on somewhere, football is huge here, drinking and drugs are everywhere, and the education is tough. Not a school for everyone indeed.