University of Wisconsin-Madison Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Wisconsin-Madison

Noe

It's a very white washed school. For students of ethnics minorities it's sort of intimidating to be around campus where the rest of the community is predominantly way more different than you in every aspect. The student life here Is very lively here though, there is always a party going on somewhere, football is huge here, drinking and drugs are everywhere, and the education is tough. Not a school for everyone indeed.

Justin

I enjoy it. Great class sizes. Great professors. Very diverse student body. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Great job placement after graduation. Beautiful, safe campus. Lots of study areas and libraries. Lots of groups to get involved. Overall wonderful.

Abby

Academically I think Madison is a great school that challenges it's student and motivates us to work hard. Socially, people can sometimes seem cold and there is little interaction between people who don't know each other. The party scene is very big in Madison.

Jacob

The campus is beautifully set between lakes which is amazing, academics and research are a top priority. There are the negative aspects of constant drinking as it is notorious for being a top drinking school. The class sizes are relatively large for early general courses, but as one gets more major specific they get that more personal connection with the professor and smaller in size.

Natalie

Overall, I love this place. There are so many places I can get help from advisers to peer mentors. I love how many good places there are to study or to just hang out with friends. There is a ton of school spirit that makes you extremely proud to go to this school.

Enjoyiana

I think it's a great school! Being a Wisc. resident, the climate is a lot different than the actual city. There​ are people coming from all over, so it can be a bit over-populated with white people. The diversity could be better, but given the environment, there are few things for minorities to do besides the Black Cultural Center or other Multicultural events.

ALex

I am going to be a sophomore at UW-Madison this fall. Overall, I really like my campus. My freshman year, I lived in the dorms like many students on campus. The quality of the dorms really depends on which dorm you select. Newer dorms like Leo and Smith are going to be a lot nicer and bigger than the older ones. Some dorms even include A/C and walk in closets. The food on campus is pretty good, but it gets boring after a while. But when you get bored of the dinning hall food, there are tons of places to eat on State st.

Everything about the University of Wisconsin-Madison lived up to my expectations and even exceeded them. The academics were challenging and thought provoking and all of the professors that I had came from different backgrounds and had so much knowledge to share. On top of the amazing academics, the student life here lives up to the hype. Game days are the best days of the entire year and there is so much to do on and around campus.

Lee

The University of Wisconsin Madison is a second home for me, and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in going to college. The campus has tons of things to offer, and the academic side of life is exquisite. The students are all very friendly, the professors are helpful, and the community loves the students. Sports, food, and the dorm life make things a whole new world to experience, and that is why I love my college. Go Badgers!

Kelly

The University of Wisconsin Madison is a beautiful campus surrounded by lively culture and wonderful people. Professors are dedicated and available and tutoring is accessible and helpful; a perfect learning environment. On-campus housing provides instant friends, who soon become family. There are plenty of activities to get involved in such as ​clubs about politics, fitness, food, and careers. There is something for everyone at the University of Wisconsin Madison.

Kelly

We may be the #1 party school in the U.S. but we know when it's time to get down to business. Classes are wonderful and I genuinely enjoy going. You haven't experience college football until you step foot in Camp Randal on game days and jump around. If you think you found the best pizza you're wrong (unless it's Ian's Pizza). You haven't fully experienced summer until you sit on the Memorial Union Terrace in the colorful, unique chairs and stare at the lake. There's nothing like it!

Joanne

I think it's a great school and it has everything that a student might want. It has a great campus that is supportive of its students with a lot of resources to utilize. The sports life is everything because once you are a Badger, you are a Badger for life.

Ethan

A great university with everything I ever wanted. The teaching assistants are very well-informed. The professors really want all their students to succeed. The university provides tons of great resources for students in all fields of study. Overall amazing college!

Kelly

I think your experience at UW-Madison really depends on your interests. Love sports? You are in the right place! Like to "work hard, and play harder?" You will fit right in! Do you want to have some of the benefits of a larger city (restaurants, arts, activities) but feel like you're in a small town? Madison is a good spot. Unfortunately, I wasn't much into sports, recreational drinking, or a rural feel so I never really felt like I fit here. You can find little niches to accommodate your interests, it's just that some are a little harder to find.

Morgan

I believe it has a fantastic environment, and a really great campus culture. While Madison is notorious for being considered a party school, I think that everything is what you make of it. The college offers amazing opportunities for a multitude of different students, and the staff really cater to the needs of those who attend there. Moreover, the community is quite rich in diverse mindsets and beliefs. I respect the assemblage of those who work on and for the campus, especially the students who choose to learn there.

Sam

This school is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

Faith

There is something for everyone at this school. The university has so much to offer that you can never be bored. The courses are rigorous and challenging in all the right ways. The University of Wisconsin-Madison is a beautiful school and has a totally open and welcoming atmosphere.

Meghan

I love the student atmosphere and all the traditions at the sports games. I also value the challenging academics offered. Finally, there are extensive extracurricular activities and there's truely something for everyone. I love the city and the school.

Kennedy

I think overall UW Madison is a great place for students. While there can be some issues with being open minded and accepting of all, I think most students put forth an effort to expand their knowledge and here various sides of any situation. Badgers are great at balancing putting a lot of work into their academics and having a good time. We really live by the saying "work hard, play hard."

Ariana

I could not have picked a better fit for my college experience! I love it here! I urge people to avoid Greek life here as it is quite toxic. Although it may seem as though everyone parties and drinks every night you will also find the library’s are just as packed as the bars even on the weekends.

University of Wisconsin, Madison is a truly great school! It is a little pricey, but what university isn't? The study abroad programs is what really made me choose Madison, and it was so worth it! There is a great on campus culture and pride , along with many other great things to discover on campus both relating to academics and life after school.

Olympia

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is one of the best schools in the nation (top 50 overall and top 15 public, you really can’t go wrong!). It is a Big Ten school which makes the school spirit absolutely crazy! Badgers are proud of their alma mater and you really do feel like a family, especially on game days. The social life and high school spirit alone create an experience like none other. Madison is also a vibrant, fun-loving city and, like most of Wisconsin, the people are always friendly. I have yet to encounter someone who has not been anything but nice! Although it may seem daunting to some to attend a school of 42,000+ students, you can make Madison as big or as small as you'd like. UW has high academic standards and you will have to put in a lot of work, but that is something that shouldn't be taken for granted because it prepares you and is an indicator of students’ motivation and desire to learn. The professors are easily accessible and are always willing to meet during special office hours as well. I suggest taking advantage of the vast amount of resources that UW provides! There is always someone to help! Especially for freshman, there are college advisors and tutors right in the dorm during most of the day if you need any help! You will never be bored at Madison, there are so many clubs and activities you can participate in, the list goes on and on! It truly is a university for everyone because you can really make it what YOU want! I could not imagine attending any other school. On Wisconsin!

Emma

I have attended the University of Wiconsin for two years now and I have nothing but praise for the school. The professors are wonderful and personable and make sure that their students are succeeding in the best way possible. Not only that but the campus itself is unmatched. Though the walks can be a bit long sometimes (especially during a cold winter) the scenery always makes up for it. I love where I live and it makes campus living all the more wonderful.

Marissa

The place of the badger, we are as ferocious about our sports as we are our academics. Despite our impressive list of notable alumni and outstanding opportunities for research, UW is not necessarily the place for those without an affinity for the sciences. As a double major in English and Art History, my classes are taught by an incredible faculty renown in their field, yet the students are so focused on more "realistic fields," such as those found in Engineering or the Sciences, that these departments are heavily stigmatized as useless. Overall, UW is a great school with incredible opportunities, but which fails to grasp the importance of history and cultural studies in the modern world.

Paul

As a transfer student, instantly upon my arrival to campus, while I was in the airplane landing at the nearest airport, in Madison. I could see the campus directly out of my window, and my face was filled with joy and excitement. To see the gorgeous lakes and bright luminous green from the trees and grass, I was thrilled to see the area in person. Once I step foot on campus I knew finally I found home in Madison, to see the beautiful scenery and people, it was a feeling of redamancy, to have the return and share of love. Everyone was greeting each other, smiling, and hugging. We all just embrace one another to make sure everyone's stay is the same feeling of home. I am so thankful and blessed to be able to say I am a Wisconsin Badger.

Sabriah

As an arts major, not a lot of opportunities available to really develop as a young or inexperienced student. The community seems for exclusive and the requirements to be welcomed are impossible to figure out. Also, not a cohesive enrollment experience, have to fill regular degrees such as sciences or English and most classes do not accommodate your major as a freshman and sophomore standing.

I enjoy Madison’s very much. It is a great college town and I love the culture. The size of it can a little overwhelming at first but once you find you’re niche it feels like home. There is something for everyone at Madison. The academics, athletics, and student life all rank among the best in the country and they deserve to be ranked as such.

Yanzey

Academics is amazing, and definitely makes me things about the world in different ways. One of the biggest problems with the school is that there is no meal plan, so students do waste a lot of money on food. There are many ways to get involved by joining​ organizations. It's almost impossible not to find an organization that doesn't fit you.

Laura

I love the social atmosphere of UW Madison. We live on such a beautiful and large campus that there is never a shortage of activities to choose from. The people that you will meet are especially valuable to your college experience. I guarantee that you will form lifelong relationships and may even find love!

Jaimee

UW Madison is an incredible school, there is really something for everyone who goes there. "Work Hard, Play Hard" is how I would describe the campus - there is a large party scene, but it's possible to stay out of it. However, everyone is very intelligent and academics are a priority.

UW Madison is a place where anyone can find their niche. There's so much opportunity here and so much to learn. The campus is huge yet homey, as its nested between two lakes. The students definitely embody the whole "work hard, play hard" idea; you'll find people out drinking every weekend, Thursday is like a Friday here, and sometimes Tuesday is, too.

Brenna

Everything you have heard about the University of Wisconsin-Madison is false besides the fact that it is truly amazing. I have experienced first-hand that professors do care about their students even in huge lecture halls, half of my classes as a first year student are less than 30 people, and it is extremely easy to get from place to place on campus. There is always something to do, which gives non-drinkers plenty of activities to participate in on weekends. It has already been better than I ever expected, and I have three more years left.

Michaela

Overall, I think that the University of Wisconsin-Madison is a great place to get an education. I love feeling like you are a part of something bigger, whether it’s the sports teams or a political organization that you’re involved in on campus. There are so many opportunities! With over 600 student organizations on campus it is possible to find any sort of group you’re looking for, which helps students find what they’re passionate about and also helps you from feeling insignificant on such a large campus. In addition to other ways to get involved, I think it’s important to highlight the incredible academics and resources available on campus which really should be the reason you should choose to come here. I couldn’t be happier with my choice of school and I hope you come visit Madison, WI to see for yourself how amazing it is!

Mitchell

My opinion of the University of Wisconsin Madison is that it is one of the best places that I have ever been to in my life. Now I say this understanding that there are plenty of lavish locations that I could still see, however I still feel that this place is amazing. Aat this college they truly take the time to wrap themselves around you and make you feel as one of their own. there is a sense of community here that I have never felt anywhere else and I feel that the University takes great leaps to provide this feeling.

Rosie

I have no doubt in my mind that the University of Wisconsin-Madison was the right choice for me. I love being a Badger, and I especially love being a music student. While I love the big campus, it's nice that the school of music only has about 250 students. The class size is small and the professors are always very accessible. The campus is absolutely gorgeous and I love that it's integrated with the city as well.

Alex

UW - Madison has a big sports scene that will naturally be accompanied by a large party/bar scene. The weekends are very lively and the bars are usually packed. There is usually something going on from Thursday night and the Fraternity/Sorority involvement is also significant enough to be noticeable just walking around campus. The academics are also great as well, with an emphasis on the STEM field and more. Overall the social scene here is very lively and because of that it is rather easy to make friends if you put yourself out there.

Annie

UW Madison is an amazing place of opportunity and higher learning. Although there is a large party scene, there is plenty of other activities. Incredibly helpful facilities and mentors are available. It is a beautiful school! Although it is a bit pricey, it is an amazing place. There are almost too many opportunities!

Absolutely love being a badger. I take full pride in having the Wisconsin experience and attending such an amazing school. The variety of people, classes, and extra curricular that are available are endless. It’s my home away from home;I couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else

Katherine

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is a great school for students who are confident, self-sufficient, and passionate about their studies. I put near-constant effort into studying, keeping up with readings, and connecting with my professors and I have done very well at Madison. Because it is such a huge school, there is heavy competition and you have to work hard to make an impression on your professors. As long as you have the self-assurance necessary to make yourself stand out, you will thrive here. Additionally, the coursework is rigorous. You will have rather long assignments for each classes one to two times a week generally. Students who do not complete their work or attend lecture will see the effect on their grades. As far as the social scene, the population is pretty homogenous. You will encounter mostly white, cisgender, heterosexual students from around Wisconsin. Although Madison has a liberal reputation, the students who attend the University can be ignorant and bigoted. That being said, if you are passionate about issues such as civil rights, government reform, and racial justice you will be able to find an enlightened group of students on campus. There are learning communities, organizations, and classes dedicated to exploring your identities and privileges, which I have enjoyed greatly. It is pretty easy to meet people if you are willing to get involved outside of class. I have a close group of friends as well as many other acquaintances I can reach out to to hang out. There is a lively party scene on the weekends, which is fun. Even if you are not a drinker, it is nice to have the opportunity to go out, dance, and have some fun with friends every once in a while. Overall, the University of Wisconsin-Madison is a school for those who want it all. If you are ready to work hard in class, hit the library a couple times a week, and live it up on Friday nights, this is the school for you! Madison has been a great place for me to grow and learn.

George

Dropped out because of the shitty university and city that surrounds it. If you want to have the lowest amount of stress possible in college DO NOT go here. City is noisy and crowded. Drunks and homeless are super annoying and shouldn't have to be dealt with. City is also ugly in my opinion. Sure there are two lakes but you hardly ever see them and they are massively polluted (a few dogs died from drinking lake water recently). You are also surrounded by farmville so there is no good scenery. Professors are all on tenure, super politically biased, and don't care about the students. Your only option here is drugs :)

A

I've have hated my time at UW Madison very much. It seems like everyone is fake-cheery while competing with each other for grades, being extremely shallow, and getting knockout drunk every chance they get. It has been extremely hard to ever get useful advice from advisors, and no one really seems to actually give a damn about anything. I feel like my money has just been sucked out of my pockets, and college wasn't even a real choice, just something society forces you to do as they make a degree like a new highschool diploma, ever-raising the price so trying to work your way through college to pay it off is laughable. If you go into engineering, school will be extremely difficult, but if you go into one of the easy liberal arts majors It seems like your money is totally wasted in terms of job prospects. I tried extremely hard freshman year, but still got C's in 2 general classes that weren't really necessary for my major but had enough credits to totally tank my Gpa to a low 2.0 range (chem and math), and they don't tell you until later they will promptly kick you out of your major if you can't reach quite high gpa benchmarks. I've noticed tons of people hang out in groups and exchange/copy homework answers or get together to work on stuff, and academic integrity isn't really taken that seriously, and everyone does whatever they can to get an edge. I've just become mostly isolated and depressed because I can't just take the school's extrinsic motivation while getting little to nothing in return in terms of real skills or knowledge to help me code on my own/etc. I've made a few great friends, but they also feel the ECE program is lacking. They just make you swallow endless knowledge in the worst formats possible of sloppy videos with scribbly writing, and do everything online, with very limited access to a few TAs who are often hard to understand, and an extremely poor student to faculty ratio while they charge more than other UW schools for what is literally online classes. I haven't had basically any interaction with professors or teachers in the year and a half I've been here, and my grades have become even worse and I feel like it's time to drop out and try another UW school, or go work at McDonald before I get in even more debt at this miserable place.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is a wonderful college to attend. I love the beauty of the campus; it is the perfect mixture of city and country through it's connection to the capital through State Street and its border of Lake Mendota, there are so many beautiful historical and modern architecture, a great view of the lake, and just overall a fun atmosphere. There are always people having fun whether that be partying, just walking around campus, playing sports, or attending a football game. The social life is incomparable. While it is a great campus for fun and athletics, it is also a great place to study with its many programs and great professors.

I LOVE my school! In my opinion, no other school can compete. It is near the water, it is in a prime location with restaurants and activities, and an including atmosphere. There is a niche for anyone who comes to campus. On top of the atmosphere, there are endless opportunities afoot! There is such a wide range of interesting classes to be taken yet somehow you can still make your academic experience intimate. The school also has an undeniable spirit! There is nothing like the feeling of seeing fellow badgers across the country and "throwing what you know". The camaraderie you feel when attending a football game is unlike any other. The one area that begs improvement is the treatment and incorporation of minorities. It is no secret that UW has a history of structural violence within its student population. My only goal for UW is to figure out what parts of its functioning is contributing to this continued discrimination and figure out how to diminish it.

Alexa

Overall, the campus is beautiful, there are many resources found throughout the campus, so many courses to take, majors offered, clubs to join and lots more. Personally, the class/lecture sizes are big and I thought I would be fine in them but I find myself struggling from time to time and think that a smaller campus would have been more beneficial to me.

Tate

I absolutely love attending this school. The campus is unbelievable and the culture of the students is awesome. It's easy to find a place where you fit in and Madison is a really fun town. Attending this school is the best decision I have made so far in my life.

Saumya

University of Wisconsin Madison is one of my favorite university. The campus is scattered but transportation around the campus are good. On campus and Off campus boarding options are great and beautiful downtown is walk able from the campus. there are lot of companies around the area offer internships and new comer job opportunities. I would love to keep this in my top list

Katherine

University of Wisconsin-Madison is an amazing school for great academics, getting involved on campus, meeting new people, having school spirit, and overall having a good time. People aren't lying when they say we work hard and party harder. That being said, there are also plenty of people that don't party and still enjoy this school. I love it so much and I would never change my decision to come here.

Anna

UW- Madison is a thriving, vibrant community. Drawing from all over the globe, UW students are particularly diverse in their ideologies, their academic pursuits, and their social preferences. I have found it to be a tremendously inclusive place; there are clubs and opportunities to join for all student choices and identities, and those who chose not to join are equally encouraged to pursue their more individualized path. Now that we are all home for the semester, I have to complete my education online. The professors continue to impress me with their commitment to their materials and to our needs as students--and I can't wait to get back to campus this fall.

Brooklyn

I visited the University of Wisconsin-Madison around october/november. The campus was nice, however it was extremely cold so it was a little hard to focus on the tour guides and what they were saying. If you can, I'd go for a private tour because they rush through each building and aren't really good at answering questions about classes.

Kennedy

I really like the school and feel that I fit in. I have many friends and would not choose any other college to go to. The Madison community is one of a kind and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The educational opportunities are spectacular and the campus community is very welcoming.