University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

I love it here. Even going through this pandemic, UWM does a good job of keeping people involved. I really enjoy the voice program here. Everyone is so supportive of each other. It is not too competitive where they pin people up against each other. I really enjoy the supportive environment that only helps me improve myself.

This is my first year at UWM and during a pandemic. All my classes were online. It was difficult at times because it seemed to be a lot more work than an in-person class, but I appreciate the safety precautions. I like all my professors and most were openly available. I have not been on campus except for the library but it is a good size.

Josiah

Some amazing teachers are trumped by the complete mess of an online system UWM has. 3 separate times they have deleted all of the classes I have taken that I wished to have gone back and just look at to brush up on my skills out side of school. D2l is laggy and consistently had dropped me from courses and had issues with clicking the back button which doesn't exist. I still pay my debt but can't have access to my previous courses makes 0 sense. I have requested multiple times to be able to download it, but atlas no effort has been made on their end- their attempt was to have me apply again for school in hopes it may allow me to access it.... Some really great professors again, but a horrible experience overall please pay the extra money to go to a school that actually tries to help you find a job and cares about you.

Elonta

I enjoy all the facets of life on UWM's campus. The students are amongst the most diverse and friendly individuals I've gotten to know ovrr my time here. The facilities are stocked full of both learning materials and active students. I enjoyed all the many public events that take place on campus. There is never a full moment that takes place on campus.

It's a wonderful school with many options for everyone. The staff and students are friendly and willing to help. The facilities are great, from the gym to the union, everywhere is kept clean. Many choices for on campus food and even more off campus that accept meal plans.

Kyla

I transferred here for my sophomore year and I love it. The campus is more diverse and the people are a lot more friendly than the ones from my previous university. There is always something happening on campus to get involved in and the faculty and staff make sure that you feel like you matter and that your education is important.

Jonathan

When I was on track to graduate from my high school in Milwaukee, I found myself unsure where I wanted to continue my education because there are so many colleges in the country to choose from. It took me a very long time to come to terms with myself and be more realistic about my current situation because of money and my parent’s goals for me, so I listened to them and enrolled into UW-Milwaukee. I was not particularly satisfied with the decision at first because I wanted to explore the world and grow as an individual, but that all changed for me on freshman orientation and my welcoming day at campus. The people that lead each event obviously made it clear that they wanted to make each student feel part of a family and show the students what UWM is all about. I also found the Tedx organization that boosted my liking of the college and makes me want to complete my four years here. Though the campus lacks in big sports, the campus excels in education and research and that makes me proud to be a part of this college. The students also showed strong solidarity when the Westboro Baptist Church came to spread their ideas on campus, the students peacefully protested them and this showed me the positivity that surrounds the students and I appreciate that. I believe I can dedicate the next four years of my life to receiving an education around people who want the same thing and can uplift each other to perform better.

Breanna

UWM has it's own ups and downs as every college. With the big population here no matter what you come for, you are likely to find a little of it here at UWM. Excellent teachers that can help you with your problems and more than enough resources to help with your schooling. However, the student life itself is sometimes the problem. UWM is more like a commuter campus and few people are around Friday through Sunday. Students aren't usually present at many sports games either, making a big lack of student involvement on campus. If you can look past the student life and lack of involvement then surely you'd get help by many of the great teachers.

Melissa

I really did not like it at first, it was a 10-15 bus ride away from anything enjoyable (Ian's pizza and insomnia cookies). The shuttles to off campus dorms give me headaches and I avoid them at all costs. However, I do like the small campus feel in such a large city. It's very nice that I can get from one corner of campus to the other in 15 minutes at the most.

Dara

its big

Adriana

Uwm is a great university filled with opportunities. You will thrive academically if you take advantages of all the resources. There's free tutoring, laptop rentals if you can't afford to buy one, so uwm is financially friendly. The one thing that I love the most is that UWM makes for sure that no matter what cultural background you reside from or your sexual preference you're accepted. I honestly love my school and all it has to offer.

Morgan

The tuition is cheap compared to other schools but you get what you pay for. Meal plan is horrible and food items in dorm cafes are overpriced. Dorms are incredibly expensive, move out after freshman year and you'll save at least $4k a year. Don't come here if chemistry will be a big part of your career, the chem department has been on probation numerous times and still has so many issues.

Mathew

I personally love the University. It has a great culture, there is plenty of things to do and downtown Milwaukee is only a few minutes away bus ride. The facilities are very nice. There is a new research building and plenty of places to your work. The library is an excellent place to go and study. The athletic facility is very large and very new.

Sayan

It is a good university. I am a graduate student of Computer Sc. department. I would just say one thing don't go by the name of the subject collect the review of the professor who is taking the course.

Lucky

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee is a great school overall based on who you hang around. Academically it's nice but the class sizes are more for students who want a bigger lecture hall. You just have to make the best of the University.

Brett

Initially, the campus size and feel of the community drew me in

RICHARD

GOOD UNIVERSITY FOR BODY, SOUL, AND MIND

Mai Xee

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is a great place to learn from. It also provides plenty of opportunity; however, since I commute, it is harder for me to interact with the people around me. Overall, the university is well-organized and does what it's suppose to do.

Valerie

I chose Milwaukee because it was a cheap school that I could live with my family and commute to, but still get a good education. I don't know a ton about campus life at night/ on the weekends because I'm never really there outside of classes. The majority of professors are good at what they do, and they care about the students. Entry level classes can be frustrating because the TA's for discussions don't always know what they're doing, but once you get past the level of gen eds, you can start taking more major- specific classes, and for me, that means most of my classes are 20 students or under. If you are able, I would highly recommend being a part of the Honors College, because the professors have some of the best the school has to offer; they care about their students, and help you to improve as a writer and as a student in general.

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is part of the UW system in Wisconsin. It is the second most expensive in the state, right behind Madison. Most of the students that do go to school here are commuters from the surrounding Milwaukee area. The best time to get a feel for campus is between 9:00 and 9:30 in the morning on a Monday, and preferably during the start of the semester, before students stop going to their early classes. People are everywhere, going in all directions, and usually not stopping at the red light before marching across the street. This is the school where you will find the most acceptance. We talk about anything and everything, no matter how weird or uncomfortable. The LGBT+ community here is one of the best in the country and their resource center is one to be noted, as it is the most welcoming place on campus. The academics here are very average. The honors college is exceptional, delving into topics that really engage the mind. However, the gen ed classes are not very challenging but do offer insight into many different topics on how the world is run. I have only spent a year here. My first semester, I felt as though I learned absolutely nothing, and although I was taking 17 credits, I still felt as though I had a ton of time. This semester is slightly different in that I feel as though I have become a much better person and am more knowledgeable about the daily occurrences that happen in our world and how to connect them to history and how this affects the population today at large. Now to go onto the party scene. There are many, many parties if you know how to find them. Drugs, especially marijuana is common on this campus. Going out to house parties is mostly reserved for freshman and sophomore as once students are 21 here, they go to the many bars Milwaukee has to offer. Overall this is a good school. I would recommend it to the student who is pretty average.

Diane

My overall opinion on the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is welcoming. When I was in middle school I toured the university and fell in love with it instantly. Ever since then I knew that I was supposed to go here. It is so diverse and has a welcoming vibe to it, I always feel safe and comfortable walking around campus.

Jaieah

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Emma

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is a good school for someone that is just looking for a bachelor's in business or something art-related. However it's still a good school overall because you have so many classes to choose from, so many new people you have the chances of meeting, and you're in the middle of the city so getting to places is a lot easier than other colleges. UWM also has their own bus system so if you don't feel comfortable riding the metro bus you can always ride the bus provided by the school.

Justice

It seems very friendly. While most students keep to themselves in the dorms, it is easy to find people you wish to hang out with. There are many opportunities to learn and other activities outside of school. The school is very in tune with helping their students find something to do. I feel safe and helped at this school.

erica

I had such a great experience at the school. As a recent graduate it is sad to have to go but I am happy that I got the chance to be at UWM. all the instructors and advisors were always willing to help and very informative.

Dora

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is a great value. Even as an out of state student, I was able to get reciprocity and have a low tuition cost. I live in the residence hall. I was lucky to get the one building truly on campus. I really like having dining facilities in the same building. I highly recommend living in a living learning community--I found it very helpful to live with people who were in the same class as me.

rrionna

University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee is a place where you can be yourself, meet new people, and get involved on campus. University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee is very diverse there's different people with unique backgrounds and you get to experience a lot of different cultures and beliefs. There's always someone on campus you can bond with, many times the people that you least expect become your closest friends. The food is great and if you get sick of the food you can always order out! I've come to love this campus because now I see it's not just where I belong but where I want to be UWM will challenge me and push me to succeed in my career goals.

Thaddeus

I love the campus feel and the resources including food options on campus. It is a wonderful hometown setting and the campus is only a 4 block radius with a free shuttle on campus. There are bikes on campus that are offered at a discounted rate to students and a nearby beach in the summer.

Emma

UWM is a campus where all walks of life can come together and learn. We pride ourselves on diversity and before coming here, I was in a very small town with no diversity. UWM has helped me grow as a person and become more understanding and open to new ideas. The professors are always there to help when you are struggling. There are so many organizations to join and different opportunities during the year to get involved.

Baokanhia

UWM-Milwaukee is a wonderful, integrated, helpful school. There are so many students and resources here to help. Everyone on campus is helpful, bright, and friendly. As a freshman, when I am at their organization's office, the staff there welcomes me with bright smiles. They answer my questions and provide me with enough information to join/get involved. The campus has many resources such as the writing center, research center, and career planning. Not only is it just there for the students but they attend some classes to inform you of what they have. They always remind you that they are there to help and it makes students feel welcome, needed, and important. Most of the time the campus is safe, there have been robberies here, however, the campus has the police right here and B.O.S.S, a safe, quick way to travel. The events they hold here are important to many people also. They have art galleries, events to help with health and more to assist and make it enjoyable for the people here. This is a fun, sophisticated college that is worth the pay.

When I first looked into the school, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it--most likely because it was an affordable university that was located near me. But once my application started to process and after attending my freshman orientation, I became more excited to start my journey at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Everyone is welcoming, there's tons of resources and student organizations to get involved in, and their professors are great. During my high school years, teachers have told me that college professors did not really care for their students. After recently meeting one, I beg to differ. I am overjoyed to start this journey at UWM.

Denise

The University of Wisconsin Milwuakee has become my home. Spending almost four years here has been incredible. When I first went to this campus I was blown away at all of the things that were going on. There are so many clubs and groups to join. With all of these clubs there comes a lot of events. It is close to the lake so even summer classes have their perks with the location of this campus.

Aidan

I love that this school is it's own city within the city of Milwaukee. I feel safe and know that there's always somebody out there who will have my back if I need it. My professors are helpful and the tutoring facility is phenomenal. I have a learning disability and feel that I'll be able to succeed at this school because of the extra help they devote to ensuring that students graduate.

Jacob

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is a wonderful campus with vibrant professors whom care for students. There're a plethora of organizations to join, activities to partake in, and opportunities in the job market to seize. Though the on campus housing is rowdy and features ultra-thin walls and forever janky shades over the windows, it's easy to overlook that aspect in favor of the quality education that our professors provide. I have never in my life met more caring and knowledgeable individuals. Additionally, the list of on-campus organizations is massive. There is a group for nearly everything. You like nature? Conservation Club. How about urban development? Community Uprise. In short, UWM is a large and diverse campus filled with people that care about you and your education. Forget the housing annoyances. There is so much to do and see at UWM that there'll be no reason to be in the dorm rooms for very long.

Devin

In my first year at UWM, I am having an amazing experience. I would recommend UWM to anyone that is looking for a school that is very welcoming and very passionate about its students. I see UWM as a home away from home with always things to do on campus and friends to go and see. I spend my time on campus hanging and studying with friends. I find that UWM makes it very easy for anyone to find a place to be at all times. There are constant events happening on campus that can get everyone involved with campus life. The University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee makes everyone including faculty and staff feel at home on campus. UWM is definitely home away from home.

Dominique

The classes at UWMilwaukee are of high quality. Although some of the buildings could use updating, the school overall has a nice campus feel. The library is my number one study spot and there are plenty of spaces to study that each have a different feel. Professors are accessible to students and are readily available for outside of class help.

Olivia

This is the best school I could ever hope to go to. The professors and staff here are so focused on the needs of the students. I can tell that they really care. This campus is so welcoming and loving, there is no place I'd rather be. It doesn't matter what race, gender, religion, etc you are, because you have a home here.

Sammya

I think that it is a very diverse school where everyone is welcomed. I think that it is a very safe environment and I enjoy spending my time on campus to study and to meet with friends and study together. The teacher and advisors of very useful and help a lot.

Caroline

So far, I have enjoyed my time here. The food gets old after being here for so long, but it's food. Its nice to be a couple of hours from home and having the ability to come home on weekends is extremely nice. I've loved all of my classes so far and I would recommend to any to come to UWM!

Jasmine

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has offered more than I can ever imagine. Despite not being next to downtown, its near Lake Michigan and offers a diverse lifestyle. The campus is large but not too large to complain the walking distance from one end to another. The campus security creates a safer environment knowing they ensure safety to the neighborhood. Despite the large classrooms, teachers and staff are always available.

Abbie

I love UWM. The school is a very friendly atmosphere and so many people are always willing to help. My one downside is that I originally started as a music major and the Peck School of the arts is wayyyyy too intense. I also am in the honors college and it was by far the best decision I made while picking a college. It is an amazing group of students and teachers and the classes are a lot of fun.

Genesis

I believe that the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee is an amazing campus that strived to achieve diversity, it is on elf the most diverse UW schools within the state of Wisconsin. UWM has a ton of on campus activities, resources, and organizations, to make students feel welcome on campus. The amount of health and mental health resources, at an affordable cost, and a vast variety of tutoring services on campus goes to show how much UWM cares for the health of their students.

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is a wonderful school and is often overlooked. The school provides great education and has plenty of opportunities for students to get involved in. There is never a time when I do not receive an email from the school about what is going on or what are some things I can do. The staff and professors are always available and are always willing to help out students as much as they can. They reach out to struggling students and check up on them if they notice anything that might be wrong. It is a great school with an easy-access campus that I recommend to everyone.

Jamie

I love it here at UWM. The staff is amazing and the students are so friendly!

Jasmine

Milwaukee is a beautiful school, with a beautiful campus. The scenery and the people makes this campus shine in more than one way. The fall time is the best time, bright colors, everything and everyone excited and ready to start school. Everybody loves Milwaukee!

I love UW Milwaukee. People perceive it as not an academically strong school because of the high acceptance and drop out rate, however, the school is amazing and always looks to make sure the students are getting the attention they need even though it is a large school. Through tutoring, discussions, and reviews, it makes your understanding in subjects deeper and resulting in better grades.

Derek

I really enjoyed my first year. Learned a whole lot, had a lot of fun both in class and out. made a lot of really good friends and they made the transition really nice. Overall I really can't complain about anything and it was just a great experience

Abbey

I absolutely love my school. Whenever I leave, I can’t wait to go back and it will always hold a special place in my heart. I feel so welcomed and everyone I have met has been more than willing to help. My professors are amazing and they really give recognition where it is deserved. I feel valued and confident and I would recommend this school to everyone! Milwaukee>Everything

Karla

The university of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is perfect for students who want the stereotypical college experience because I know I found it here. The university is very safe and I never feel unsafe walking around or even late at night even though it is a open campus because of how the security is so reliable.

The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee is an excellent school. To begin, the campus is very close together which means no more than ten minutes at most to get across campus. The on campus housing is for freshman but upper classmen can also stay on campus. The dorms are suite-style and you only have to share a bathroom with about 4-6 people. There are plenty of groups, organizations, clubs, sports groups to be a part of and the university is very accepting of everything students want to do to better our education and experiences. I have worked an on-campus job for 2 years now and it is one of the best jobs I have ever had. The university really knows how to take care of their students. The only thing I truly worry about while living here is my safety, but the campus is very well lit, there are emergency phones on every corner and you just have to be smart about the situations and places you put yourself in. Overall, the University of Wisconsin is a wonderful school and I recommend attending to anyone who wants to get out of their comfort zone and live in the city.