University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

Right now I would consider the worst thing about my school the unusually high amount of criminal activity, much of it directed toward or even perpetrated by students. This rash of unusual violence has led me to be quite concerned for the welfare and safety of the on campus students. It is my belief and my hope that the sincere and dedicated efforts of the local law enforcement agencies, both on campus and in the city itself will continue to work to apprehend the criminals and protect the students. I hope the school continues its safety emphasis and efforts too.

As a fifth year senior at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (UWO), the worst thing about this school is definitly the vast divide between professors who consider their students needs and those that see their students as just part of work. To clarify, it is my experience that about two-thirds of the professors at UWO are able to acknowledge the steps it takes for students to learn various concepts and are willing to work with them to achieve these even if it takes extra class time. Conversely, the other third of professors treat students as part of their job.

The worst thing I believe is that there are, unfortunately, many parties around campus where underage students can drink alcohol. With the pressure that students are under now to succeed and find a job straight out of college sometimes people feel the need to release their stress in this unhealthy manner. It may feel good at the time and you may like drinking, but it is not worth it. Drinking damages your health, your brain functions, and not to mention underage drinking is against the law. Release stress in a way that is safe for you and your peers.

Overall, in my opinon, the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is a great school. The school itself, is very friendly and beyond welcoming to new comers as well as old. The "worst" thing that I have encountered about my school is the partying. I wont say it should'nt be allowed nor that students should not partake in such activity but it's becoming known too all others and people that are not even students join. They come from all over to participate, and it makes outsiders judge that the students have no focus.

Some of the professors at my school are awful. They can be arrogant and just plain mean. Not all of them are like that by any means, but some of them are pretty bad. I've heard of last minute changes to tests, overly- strict test policies, and other bad situations. For example, I had a professor who refused to hear any opinions but the ones that he had. I once got a low grade on a paper because I disagreed with him. Professors should be encouraging students to be opinionated, not discourage the practice.

The worst thing at school is the food. There are healthy options, but there is an overwhelming amount of unhealthy food and always being on the go as a college student, it's very difficult to put together a decent meal that isn't high in fat or sodium. That being said, the quality of the healthy food they do have is terrible. It seems like they round up the bruised or damaged produce from the grocery store and sell it to us at the university. I am pretty disappointed with the food here to say the least.

Coming from a town where diversity flourished, it's safe to say that Oshkosh is lacking in the diversity department. It's troubling to me that some students look at our ethnic demographic and think over 70% caucasion is 'diverse' by any means. I see a lot of 'natural' segregation on campus. Even though students here are very friendly dispite that fact, it seems to be diluting the possibility of having that "maximum college experience" that we all hope to achieve in our few short years at a university.

Honestly, I really enjoy going to UW Oshkosh. As a transfer student, I came from a school I didn't find my place in and I find Oshkosh to be a very comfortable campus. It's easy to make friends because it's a very social campus and there are a lot of ways to get involved. Possibly the worst thing about Oshkosh, could be that because it's a very social campus, it can be easy to get distracted. Just maintain great focus and find organizations and clubs that will be helpful to your future.

The one thing I dislike the most about the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh is it's reputation. Some people believe that UW Oshkosh is a school that people go to in order to slack off and party. This is not the truth about UW Oshkosh at all. This school is full of amazing people with big aspirations who are willing to work hard to acheive their goals. UW Oshkosh has presented me with so many opportunities and I believe that the postives of the University should be celebrated.

I think that the worst thing about my school are the prices of things. When going to eat and getting an a-la-carte item it is extremely over priced. For example a 12 oz. container of milk is $2.49 which is almost the price of a full gallon of milk. I think that the prices of food for the amount that we get is extremely bad as well. They act like the food that they have is scarce, when we are paying almost $15,000 for school I think we deserver better and healthier options.