University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

« See more reviews of University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh

I wish I would have known about all the opportunities and organizations that were here. For example, I am currently involved in the University Honors Program, Alpha Lambda Delta, and The National Society of Leadership and Success among others. I also wasnt sure what to expect as far as classes were concerned. I had no idea what the difficulty level would be or how the classrooms looked. One thing I was suprised to find were all the different ways people dresses with self expression. This concept was new to me because everyone dressed relatively the same in my small town.

What I wish I had known before I came to this school was to take control of my course scheduling. The only person that really cares about you graduating on time is you! The longer that the school can keep you there, the better for them. Therefore, you really have to make sure that you are on track to graduate from your degree program. Make sure that you understand your academic report that the school has because it entails all the requirements for graduating. By taking initiative into your own hands, you are making positive progress towards your future goals.

I wish I had known that crowded parties with plenty of underage drinking in some stranger's house are usually a waste of time and energy. I wish that I had a flawless organizational system for all my homework and textbooks, and that I had taken Interdisciplinary Study Skills (how to study effectively) earlier in my educational career. I wish that I'd have known that the math class in which I'd enrolled was not one required in my program of study. Despite all these wishes, however, I did have a fantastic, joyful, and enriching first semester of college.

Before coming to UW Oshkosh, I wish my high school would have better prepared me to more well diversed. I am beyond excited to meet people of all different backgrounds, and in general make friends with people that are different than I am. I think it is important to step outside of boundries and familiarize with people of all different race and ethnicites, religons, etc. By doing this over the next 4 years through my attendance at UW Oshkosh, I strongly beleive this will help better me for my future and possibly prepare me for the real world.

University is all about time management. How a student manages his/her time will be one of the greatest factors in determining his/her success in university. I prepared my time management skills before university by practicing. In the summer before I began my undergraduate studies, I juggled two jobs, regular plasma donations, and being a youth deacon at my church. The only time I was home was usually to sleep. It was like I was already living on my own, responsible for everything that went on in my life. This is exactly what university is.

I really would have liked to know more about work study and the opportunities for finding a job on campus. I applied for a position at the student recreational center the summer before I attended UW - Oshkosh and in response to my application I received an email stating that I should have applied earlier in March. At that time, I was still a senior in high school, and I wasn’t thinking about a college job yet. Unfortunately my work study funds were pretty much put to waste. I wish I had some knowledge of when to apply sooner.

I wish that I would of know that you really need to manage your time. Get tutors for your harder classes even if you don't think you need them. They can only tutor a certain amount of students so get your tutor as soon as possible. Focus on your schooling first. Fun can come later. If you slack off it can greatly affect your GPA. I also wish I would of known what kind of groups there are to help me throughout the semester. There are many out there looking for students who need help so go find them.

If there was something I wish I had known, it would be where to find scholarship information and just resources in general; both academic and social. With the technological revolution everyone pushes online resources but it was not until late in my sophomore year that one of my friends pointed me to the scholarship board in Dempsey hall, I wish I had know about that sooner as it would have saved me a lot of anxiety about where I should even start to look for scholarships before I even started at Oshkosh.

I wish that I knew of the many different ways in which you can receive finical aid and not worry about getting a campus job. I also wish I knew how to manage my time more than I thought I knew how to you. Time management is important if you plan on playing any kind of college sports; knowing is one thing but to effectively do it is a whole other ball game. Lastly, I wish I knew how to use my professors’ help/office hours to the fullest and not let my questions go unanswered.

There is nothing I wish I had known before coming to this school. What made me decide on the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh was that they never left anything out, whenever I had a question I could call and get my answer right on the spot. Their website is very helpful and has a resource for everything. Prices for tuition are straight forward and they never try to cheat you out of money. They have always been honest and helpful, and I am happy I chose UW Oshkosh.