Platteville, WI
University of Wisconsin-Platteville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Platteville

Caitlyn

If I could go back, I would tell myself that it gets better. For the most part, people don't judge you as much, and believe it or not, it is possible to make new friends. There's also no reason to be scared about anything. Moving out of your mom's house is a big change, but it isn't as bad as you think. You really learn how to be independent and realize how great it is. Also, don't think you're going to find the love of your life your first year here. It happens to some people, but not everyone. I like being single now; it has helped me realize who I am and I'm slowly learning to love myself. Just focus on yourself; it's okay to do. People might think you're crazy, but who cares what they think. Just be yourself and be confindent about it.

One thing that is somewhat unappealing about UWP is that it's located in a small town. With small towns come people who live in the country and hunt, etc. Most of these people are nice and don't get caught up in other people's business. But there are a few that like to start problems simply because their opinions don't match others.' It can be a little hurtful sometimes, especially the way they go about it. They make you feel like you're wtong because you don't agree with them.

You shouldn't attend UWP if you don't like camoflague and trucks. I mentioned how the school is in a small city, and it is flourishing with country people. Sometimes I wish I would've gone to a school in a bigger city. UWP is also known for its engineering program, so the male:female ratio is 3:1 and sometimes that's overwhelming.

Visit a lot of schools. Also make sure you know exactly what you want in a school, whether big, small, whatever. If you do not know what you want to study go to the closest junior college first. It might not be the best but you will save money so you can enjoy the four year school. Start saving now, college is expensive and you are going to want to do a lot. When you go to school, don't be afraid of trying to clubs and organizations. Take your on campus job seriously, you will leave a lot. Make connections with different professional staff on campus. It will come in handy when you are looking for internships and jobs when you graduate.

I think I would have likedto know about more on-campus jobs. Though I love my job on campus now it would have been nice to know about other ones.

I would have to say the about of "farm" people who are very republican and not open to other people's opinions.

Abigail

Being at UW Platteville for only three months it has been great. The teachers are nice and the students are great. It is a bigger campus then what I am used to but I do have to say it is a more active campus and many things to do. So far I am having a great time at UW Platteville and look forward to continuing throughout the years.

Rednecks, Jocks, and Nerds. I believe from being at UW Platteville for three months that this stereotype is accurate and anyone coming to this college would say so.

Being at UW Platteville I have noticed a lot of activities. The main ones are Rugby, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Football, and Greek Frats

Here at UW Platteville there are many different academics to chose from due to it being a 4 year and not a 2 year college. As the years go through I am looking forward to taking classes and being able to chose for myself what ones look interesting and what ones don't,

Danielle

The staff and students at this school encourage you to do your best!

The staff and students at this school encourage you to do your best!

I would tell myself to not worry so much about where you see yourself being in a couple years after graduating college. College is about finding out your interests and then planning the steps you take in order to get your degree. Being a learning disability student, I would aso tell myself to make sure I get help from the professors I'm going to encounter because sometimes they can be a greater use to your studying than trying to figure it out yourself.

That the professors at this school want you to succeed and it has so much to offer in both academics and activites throughout the campus.

Most of my classmates are listening to the professor engaged in the lecture.

Most of my classmates are listening to the professor engaged in the lecture.

The best thing about the University of Wisconsin Platteville is the small class size. Professors are able to give the students more attention and are able to know every student in that particular class. It is also easier for freshman to adjust to the college lifestyle more because the class sizes are more like a high school class size.

Briana

I was a little disappointed when I started at UW-Platteville because I originally wanted to go to a out-of-state school. My dad went to UW-Platteville and he told me that even though it is four hours from home, that it would become like another home to me. He was obviously right because now I refer to my room as home and I even miss my dorm bed when I go home.

There are so many groups to join...Doctor Who...Martial Arts Club...International Student Club...multiple professional engineering societies...the list could continue on. Everyone is a part of at least one group and all the groups seem to work well together if they support the same cause.

UW-Platteville is often thought of as a "hick-school" in the UW-College System. Sure we may have the most jacked-up trucks and the best music around but we are far more than just a hicktown down here in the Ville. For starters, we have the highest turn out when it comes to donating blood to the American Red Cross because of how close knit our campus is. Our student population may be growing but the campus still has this home-like feeling to it and it makes you want to contribute to it.

There is such a large variety of people to hang out with and they are all so welcoming. I have friends from all walks of life and they have opened my eyes to all the possiblities of my future. I have always been more of an introvert; however, even my family says that college has helped me crack out of my shell and I am more open about my feelings. I have had an amazing college family of blood relatives, friends that love to have fun, friends that make me want to do my best, and some of the most compassionate people that I have ever known.

Mallory

In my experience, UW- Platteville is much more honest than other universities. The professors evaluate you honestly and make it difficult for you in the best way possible. They are also all very willing to help you with anything that you have questions on and would like to develop. It is small, yet large enough to give you research and development opportunities that many students do not possess in their first year of college. As a freshmanm I was already participating in undergraduate research, and that was an incredible experience I feel my college has given me.

If I could go back and discuss college life with my high school senior self I would be sure to tell her not to be afraid. That friendships come and go, build up and wither away, family life changes, and your education gets more difficult, but that it all makes you stronger. That first awkward moment with you roommate is not so bad, leaving your parents is only hard if you make it to be, and if someone does not like you, you are doing something right, not wrong. You embarassed yourself? Laugh. Stressed? Work through it. You are stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. Take every opportunity you can because in a few years that speaker will not be free, that concert will not be available to you, that training program that could have helped you to develop your professional skills will have slipped through your fingers. Travel, get to know people who are different from you, learn to listen but also learn to speak wisely with a strong, enforced opinion. You will never again have the same opportunities, so take them. Love them. Embrace them. It all will change you, and definitely for the better.

I wish I had known not to let the emphasis on appearance bother me. In a school with so many men it is sometimes difficult to be evaluated by knowledge and not looks. I wish I had known to get myself known first for my intelligence and drive to succeed before I became focused on acceptance. If I had known that would come after I had developed myself, I would not have been as nervous or as self-conscious as I was in the beginning.

Tyler

Smalll campus atmosphere welcomes people of many different skills and Interests.

U.W. Platteville is the most affordable and fastest growing School in the Wisconsin and still manages to have a respictable engineering program.

I would tell myself to not spend a dime on non-essentials such as junk food and video games while in High School because I had enough video games to last me a life time and I could survive on the food my Mom bought. I would then tell myself to apply for more scholarships and explain how to use the meal plan and meal points in the most cost effective way possible as to not run out of meals half way through the semester like I did. I would also tell myself to study more in Psychology because I got a "C" and I could have done better. Furthermore I would tell myself to remember to stay focused on school, don't let the little things bring you down, and try to maintain some type of sleep schedule.

William

I would tell myself to become involved in anything that interests me, form study groups whenever possible, and try to avoid common distractions like computer games and movies and the like. This way, I could be more productive and enjoy my experience a lot more because by becoming involved on campus, the desire to play computer games and watch movies shrinks until it is no longer noticeable because there are so many other better ways to spend my time. I would also warn myself about the possibility of trying to take on too much at a time because it is not worth it to burn out. I would tell myself to prepare for things as far ahead of time as possible because other things always come up and try to distract from what should be done. One of these would be researching companies well before the career fair. I would also tell myself to be open to spending money on little things because there will be plenty of time in the near future to make it all back. Lastly, I would tell myself to work really hard on remembering other peoples' names after getting to know them.

The best thing about my school is that there are different opportunities available that one can't find elsewhere and the fact that there are many different clubs available. These two factors allow anyone that comes to campus to find a place where they feel they fit in.

Some of the professors cause problems and sometimes the food is terrible.

Maiyia

This school is known best for its engineering majors and minors. In this field, there are eight courses such as electrical engineering , computer engineering, industrial engineering and many more. Also for many other majors as well such as Criminal Justice, Art, and Biology but Engineering is big here. In my opinion, this school is also best known for its small number of college students and its small school. It's easy to get around.

If I could go back to being a high school senior and was to give advice to myself then about college life and transitioning, the advice I would be to take it more serious. What I mean by this is to look at all the colleges I had in mind thoroughly and also my major. The major chosen was engineering; not sure what kind of engineering but now I seem to be doubting if this is the right path for me. I mean engineering was on my top list, just not sure what number on the top list. I have taken engineering classes before in high school and I enjoyed it. Another advice I would have given myself would be that transistioning can be hard and that it will get better. I am saying this because when I left, i cied for two weeks. I missed home that much. Along with that, I wuld also say that to bring things you only need. I actually brought my whole bedroom with me and my room at campus now is packed and I don't even put them into use. One last advice: college is only fun if you make it fun.

One thing that I wish I should had known before coming to this school is that the class buildings was farther away from my hall then I think it was. Also to know that I have to pay to park y car at the campus and that I need a parking permit to park my car. Along with this, I wish I should have known that parking on the side of the street needs its own parking permit or I will have to pay for a citation/ticket.

University of Wisconsin-Platteville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.