Platteville, WI
University of Wisconsin-Platteville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Platteville

Jill

I have met so many different people and learned so much. It made me love science more than I thought I could, and now I want to learn as much as I can about almost every area of science. The people are amazing too. It's different than high school where everyone pretty much grows up in the same place. It's fun to meet people from different states and countries.

I like that it's smaller. There are about 7000 students there, so the classes are small, like high school classes. To me, this is the best way to learn and excel at school.

Kathy

The most valuable atribute that i recieved from attending the University of Wisconsin-Plattevelle was exposure to a diversified population. Prior to attending college, I interacted solely with white people. By meeting, interacting and wioorking with others from various background it gave me a good understanding of the bias and steroetypical thinking that exist in this world. By being able to accept and work with other cultures it has opened up my eyes to the injustice that exists within America, and the advatages that are afforded to the white american. I've learned that minorities ARE treated different and have to fight harder to get the jobs that are out there. I've also learned that minorities tend to have the least amount of accessablity to the counseling services they may need. All of these valuable insights have lead me to pursue a master in community counseling so that I can work with those that are underpriviledged due to the race culture or socioecomonic status.

It required freshman and sophmore to live on campus. Campus living meant there was no excuse for missing classes or other activities you were involved in. It also promoted socialization, peer acceptance and compromise. Inderage drinking and cohabitation was prohibited so peer pressure to drink or have the opposite sex stay in your room was minimized.

I think the University of Wisconsin-Platteville would be a great match for any student who wanted to further their education. The university offers a variety of majors and the campus is a multicultural environment with both professor and students coming from a variety of background, races and cultures. Acadenic advisors are easily accessible and willing to help both on an acedamic as well as a personal level.

Kristin

I have so far gotten a great education from the University of Wisconsin system. Every second was challenging but I have learned a lot. I have grown as an individual and realized that I can do anything if I put my mind to it. I also have learned to manage my time around school and work. I realize that school come first above anything. In the past I used to let things deter me from the bigger picture. Now I know that this is the only thing that can change my future. I have learned so much about different cultures, science, history, religion and life.

I am extremely happy at my current school. I am able to do online classes at a public school and earn a degree while working. I wish I would have known the exact process of taking my general education courses with University of Wisconsin Online colleges as well as my major courses with University of Wisconsin Platteville. I think that the consortium agreement could be explained more clearly.

The kind of person who should attend this school should be someone who is extremely self motivated and doesn't need a lot of hand holding. The distance learning program is intense . If you take a full load of 12 semester credits you will need to spend a minimum of 30 hours a week on your studies. It is for the person that is against for profit universities and wants to work for the degree that is earned.

Jeremy

I think our school is best known for the worlds largest "M" on large mound a few miles outside the city. Originally UW-Platteville was a mining school, hense the large "M." We also used to be fairly well known for our basketball team in the 90's. Bo Ryan, currently the UW-Madison Badgers coach, used to coach here and we won a few national championships. Our engineering program is exceptional as well, and it draws in the majority of the students for our campus. Many companies look to Platteville to hire new engineering students.

I would say the most valuable thing I have learned up to this point in college is the simple fact that things won't get done unless you do them. My parents aren't encouraging me to get my work done, and its easy for things to pile up. Procrastinating into the late hours isn't healthy either. Little sleep makes it easy to get sick, and there are plenty of people around campus to get sick from. So I make it my goal to get homework and other projects done as quickly as possible.

I usually tell my friends how great our outdoor facilities are. For example, I really like our disc golf course, the outdoor basketball courts, and "killer hill" is great for sledding in the winter. I also really like the small campus atmosphere. It's easy to meet people, and the classrooms are small and make conversation easier.

Margaret

The amount of time that the people at UW Platteville give to make sure that students are happy and successful is beyond any of the other colleges or universities that I looked at. They care about each and every student.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I had worked very hard and that it would pay off that first year of school. I would also tell myself to find a few more extra curricular activities to become involved in, because they help when it comes to qualifying for scholarships. In addition, I would tell myself that you are going to make friends easily and that keeping in touch with the friends who go to different schools will be easy. Also, I would say, "The teachers at your school are preparing you for a new part of your life, listen to them! They know what they are talking about!"

Platteville is a campus that is small enough to give you personal attention, but large enough so there is a large diversity of students. The professors take a genuine interest in the success of every student. You are NOT just a number.

Maria

I would tell myself that college would help me build character, responsibility, independence, and experience. College is a new doorway to life that can help you achieve your dreamed career and, at the same time, can experience different point-of-views in life. I can travel to a different country or stay on campus and learn about the many cultures there are. Through the learning of different cultures and ideas, you can build a better character of understanding of certain fields and the world like why and how history and the fine arts play a role in society. You also will learn how to balance your school work, working hours, and social time. There are also many opportunities to explore like other extracurricular activities, which will help sharpen your social skills and knowledge. You will meet so many different kinds of people that might broaden your understanding towards certain people and cultures. College will be the best time of your life. There is no question about that.

I wanted to know the cost of tutition, meal plans, and types of programs. I also wanted attend a smaller campus before going to Madison University.

There is some racial problems going on around campus and sexism.

Timothy

Platteville is best known for its big ?M? and its history. It is also known for being an Engineering school.

If I could go back in time and find myself as a senior in High School, I would talk to myself about how financially stable I should be before I went to college. As of now, I am living in the red with little income and it is not because of the Economy. As of now, I am beginning to take steps to becoming financially stable like getting jobs during school. Even so, if I had really buckled down and worked hard to bring in more money in the past, I would not be worrying how to payoff for school without relying on loans and luck.

UW-Platteville is a small campus and a small town. I think this is best because it doesn?t take long for anyone to walk from their dorms to class. The campus is small so the class sizes are small in respects to campus population. Because this campus is small I think the students have a great chance to talk with their professors.

Kristin

College is a place where students grow academically and mentally. In order to be successful in college, a student must know how to balance their school and social lives. While meeting new friends can be very exciting, forgetting about your studies can inable a student to succeed in the class room. At the same time, students need to give themselves time to develop in many other ways that do not involve their academics. During college, students quickly learn how to be independent and take care of themselves. The first, few semesters at college are always the hardest, simply because everyone does not know how to adapt to their new life. As a result, I believe that learning how to adjust to college life and managing my time was the greatest lesson I could have learned as a college student.

Some students are close minded and makes it hard for some students to feel accepted.

Jon

My classmates are wonderful; including the ones I have recently met at Platteville. Two of my best friends from highschool are attending UWP along with me, which helped me feel more comforatable and less alone the first few weeks. After living in the dorms my first semester I met many people not only in my hall, but that I shared classes with. These people made it more comforatable in the new classroom settings. It has made my college experience much better by meeting new people.

The first piece of advice I would have to myself would be to push myself through as many of the AP level classes to earn college credit. I explained before that this would have saved me a lot of time and effort by not having to take as many generals at college. In a bigger picture, it also would have saved me a lot of money by doing this. Even though I saved a descent amount of money while I was in highschool; my father being on unemployment made it hard to pay for my first semester. Not having any medical Insurance has forced me to buy it through the college, which will be an extra amount onto my tuition. All these factors have added to my tuition and made it very difficult to pay for. I now regret not having a job during the school year of my junior and senior year of highschool. I had only worked during the summer, because I played sports during the school year. In conclusion, I would have told myself to save more money during my senior year. This way I could have been prepared for my fathers current unemployment status.

I would have been more prepared for taking basic classes than I was originally. I did not understand that i would be taking so many general courses to get credits. If this was brought to me in highschool I would have concentrated even harder to get through as many AP level classes as possible to earn college credit. By doing this, it would have given me an opportunity to concentrate more on classes that were dealing with my majors.

Marissa

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell my self to apply for alot more scholarships. Paying for college is a hard thing; being a full time student and working part time in order to attend. Also, I would tell myself that in my frist year to study, study, study, things dont get easier when you go off to college. High school was a fun time and college will be too, don't be scared, it will be fun! Make the best out of everything you do and do you best , that is all that is ever asked of you! When you get to college do not be afarid to talk to people, make new friends! Things will be hard and tough but you can get throgh it, have faith in your self. In addition, I would tell mysefl to be more involved, there are lots of things to do on campus, you just have to find them!

There are many great things about the University of Wisconsin Platteville. If I had to choose one of their great things it would have to be how close everything is on campus. On the UW Platteville campus it takes less then five minutes to walk across campus. Everthing is near by and close, one of the campuses food courts is located right in the middle of campus. In addition the gym is located in a neutral spot for those students who live on and off campus.

The worst thing about UW Platteville is the amount of parking for on campus students and off campus students. There are alot of students that attend the Universtiy of Wisconsin Platteville who bring cars to campus or need to commute to campus. During the day around campus, I would say is the hardest time to find close parking on campus. In addition, at night can be a hard time to; most students with parking passes end up parking on the street on the other end of campus becasue there is not enough parking.

University of Wisconsin-Platteville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.