River Falls, WI
University of Wisconsin-River Falls

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-River Falls

Laura

In high school, we are nervous about what college to pick and what to major in. We bite our nails over test scores and timidly wait by the mailbox for the letter that decides our fate. This is the traditional student ritual and it's imperative that we hear something new: it's NOT the biggest choice we will make in our lifetimes. Once you arrive on that campus, whether it is your first choice or your eleventh, you will find a place. If that place doesn't suit you, the next four years will not be the hell you pay for. Transfer! Transferring is more common than any high school counselor lets on. We make mistakes, college choices included. It can be fixed within a semester. Once you find your spot on campus, always keep in mind that friends will come. Even with a campus of 300, students manage to find friends. You are never alone--someone else out there feels just like you do. Go find them. Classes will be some of the most difficult encounters you will fight. But there's always help ranging from study groups to tutors. The trick? Apply yourself.

The tuition is affordable for a great education.

A very liberal student that plans to stay on campus and participate in many activities besides drinking.

Colt

Be as supportive as you can in your child's choice, embrace their activites. Dont push your child to hard, but offer them guidence.

Any kind of person whio has a desire to live in a small town near a HUGE city.

Debbie

When looking for the right fit one needs to know themself. What do you want most out of college? A degree that will allow you to accomplish your goals in life? A place to find a future spouse? Affordability? or maybe you are a religious person and that determines where you are going to attend? Regardless of what your desires are one must look to see what the college they are looking at offers and based on that help them determine what the best fit is. Another aspect to look at is how willing are you to push yourself, to discover how much you really can achieve. College is the time to realize who you are seperate from the family and friends you have had for years. It's a time to open your eyes and heart to the world around you and grasp every opportunity to make you into a more fulfilled person. By choosing to go to college you are already saying you are searching for something you don't have right now. Do not be afraid to take a chance and make your life worth living. Do not waste it, it's the only one you got.

There is little diversity and little to do on weekends. It is a suitcase campus. Not a good sense of community

Melanie

Everyone in River Falls was their own person, some friendly, some not as much, but each unique, bringing something new to the table.

Sometimes the right college finds you. After high school I found myself in River Falls after a series of un-happy accidents kept my deposit from being on file in time in Eau Claire and enrollment was frozen at all the other UW system schools. It may have been a series of unfortunate events that brought me there, but it was the best thing that ever could have happened. I lived on campus for four years and in that time I met some of the nicest people. It's amazing what you can have in common with a total stranger. I graduated this past summer and what was once a daunting future that I thought would never come is now a home that I miss and a family that I can't wait to visit. As I am now a teacher and a cheerleading coach, my advice to future college students is simple. Talk to people. Meet people. Make friends. Stay out of trouble. Keep it legal. But above all else, take it all in while you're experiencing it, because it will go by fast. College is a place for discovery; who will you become?

How close knit my department was. I loved that I could sit in the lounge and study with my classmates before a big test or spend an evening debating politics between practice sessions. I really loved how close knit my music theory class became. Spending every morning together for 2 years really helped us learn a lot about each other, and look out for each other. I meet some of my best friends there!

Natalie

Pick a school that you feel good at. You will know that a school is good for you. Dont try to force yourself to like the school. Its ok to change where you are going. Sometimes the school you start out at isnt the school you finish at.

I enjoy the learning based system. The proffessors are focused on teaching and not on their research. THere research is done with students so that the students get practice too

My classmates are some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever met.

My classmates are some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever met.

Many of my high school peers wondered why I chose such a small college when my class rank, GPA, and standard test scores were high enough for acceptance to a more prestigious school. It was hard to explane, but I knew none of those schools would be the right school for me. Choosing a college is more then just choosing a degree, it is choosing your environment for the next several years. When looking at colleges, it is important to look at the size and feel of the city the school is in. Some people just do not do well in a big city while others do not do well in a small city. Besides city feel, Professor attitude is another very important aspect of a school. I chose my college because I knew that the class sizes were small, never taught by teaching assistants, and that the school tried to hire professors that were student focused rather than research focused, so I knew my professors would never be too busy to help me understand a concept. Although many people might not know of my school, I know I'm getting a good education, and am happy where I live.

Class sizes are small, and instructors here really are focused on helping students learn, and do make personal connections with the students. The campus is small and compact, which keeps it personal. I have never seen a professor who was not willing to spend extra time going over material, even if it was not for their own class, to help a student understand.

This school is known for its music program, its hockey team, and its intent to be environmentally friendly.

In making a decision as to what school to attend, pick one that is the right size for you. Don't pick one that is going to overwhelm you by the amount of students. Smaller schools tend to have smaller classes so professors get to know students on a more personal basis. Larger school have large classes so professors don't always learn all of the students names. To make the most out of college, join every group, team, association, and club that you are interested. If you join something and find you don't like it, at least you tried! You don't want to regret your college experience, because most people only get to experience it once!

A student should attend this school if they want the college life experience, without being overwhelmed by an enormous campus. This is not a small campus, but it is a decent size. Students who are ambitious in art related feilds will find this school a great place to atttend. Also, students who like to attend sport events and have a great amount of school spirit will enjoy going here.

Nyssa

Be realistic in what your needs and expectations of a school are. Stick with something that you're comfortable with and don't give into the peer pressure of your parents, high school counselors to attend a school with a big name, a certain professor, etc, if you're not comfortable with the idea. Once at college, socialize, network and make the most of your contact with professors and other students. They're human too and often, are a great springboard for ideas, research projects, or just random questions about life in general. Don't sweat the small stuff! Life is a series of experiences and if you're too caught up in everything else, you'll miss one of the greatest experiences of your life.

I love how accessible my professors are. They're easy to reach during their office hours, in passing times, in the grocery store, etc. How often do you hear of a professor sitting down in the hall with you to discuss life or a project while sharing your jellybeans?

People that want a busy city atmosphere with a ton of students. A small town quality of life is important here. People that don't like agriculture, sustainability, or care about the enviroment should look elsewhere.

Rachael

I would advise parents and students to visit as many campuses as possible and to ask lots of questions during your tours. Chosing a college is an important step, and you should chose the one that feels right for you. I believe the most critical aspect of enjoying your time in college is to make sure you feel comfortable in the environment. I knew within fifteen minutes of setting foot on my campus that it was where I wanted to complete my degree. As far as making the most of your college experience, I would advise incoming freshman to meet as many people and get involved with as many organizations as possible. If you live in the dorms, keep your room door open and you'll meet lots of freshman who are in the same homesick boat as you are. College will prove to be much less stressful if you do what you need to do when you're supposed to do it. Weeknights are for homework, weekends are for fun. You can do both as long as you keep your priorities straight. Stay focused and have fun- college is an amazing experience.

There are many things I wish I would have known about college life in general, but I wish I would have known that River Falls lacks entertainment and cultural activities. Most popular social gatherings are based on alcohol. I wish the campus was more cultural.

This school is great to attend if you're interested in Agriculture or Food Science, and if you enjoy a friendly, small- town environment.

University of Wisconsin-River Falls administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.