River Falls, WI
University of Wisconsin-River Falls

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-River Falls

I think that UWRF is best known for its education program. The professors that teach the education classes are knowledgable, experienced, and really desire to share their knowledge with their students. The education majors also have wonderful learning experiences in the student teaching requirements that they fulfill during their college careers as well. The students that graduate from UWRF with an education major go on to become very successful teachers. I think that this is so important beacuse educating future generations is one of the most important responsibilities that we have.

I think that if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the greatest advice that I could give myself would be, "Don't be afraid to be yourself." The transition from high school to college is scary for countless students and one of the most common fears is not being accepted or not fitting in at the new school. High school was comfortable, I had lots of friends, and I knew all of my teachers. At college though, everything was new, different, unknown, and very intimidating! This fear of not being accepted in my new surroundings held me back from doing many things and getting involved on campus during my freshman year of college, and this is one of my biggest regrets. Once I opened up, started getting involved, and met new people, college became much more enjoyable for me! I didn't dread leaving my dorm room or my corner of the library anymore because I had friends I could hang out with who loved me for me. I realized I had no reason to fear being myself. This is the best advice that I could give to anyone starting college!

I think that the most frustrating thing at my school is the workload that I have in my classes. I'm a Communicative Disorders major, and therefore, I have to balance class work, clinical observations, as well as participating in COMDIS related organizations. The class work alone is a challenge because the amount of material that we are expected to learn is huge! I'm glad that many of the topics are interesting to me, however, it is very stressful trying to absorb all of the material that we are being taught.

Kalina

UW-River Falls is unique because the students and teachers and staff truely feel like a family. The University is very small and everyone is very kind and helpful. The Campus is also one of the most green or eco-friendly campuses in the United States.

I would tell myself to slow down and enjoy the ride. When I was in high school I couldnt wait to get out and into college and on my own. But looking back now, I would have loved to spend more time in every moment because it is the journey that makes you not the destination. College is great and I love it but everything goes by so fast. I would tell myself to soak up everything I can because before you know it everything will change. Live for today and live life to the fullest everyday. Do not get stressed out and allow things to bother you because everything happens for a reason and it will all work itself out. Relax and enjoy the adventure of growing up and finding out who you are or what you want to be. Be open to new things and be strong in your morals but explore also. Take in everything you can and allow yourself to grow as a person.

The worst thing about the school is that it gets really cold in the winter when walking to class.

Andrea

University of Wisconsin River Falls is a smaller campus that is student focused with small classes; it has great courses if students are planning on a career in education, art, or agriculture fields.

I feel like the best advice I could tell myself or anyone going into college is that college is what you make of it. If you go into school with a negative attitude or expecting others to make the transition for you, you will end up blamming the school for your unhappiness there. Being a some what shy person I would tell myself that you need to step outside your comfort zone. That goes for your school and social life. To get the best of your education ask questions from the professors, go to the counselor, check out events dealing with your major. Knowing how my first semester went I would tell myself don't be affriad to make new friends! If you feel alone, do something about it! Join clubs, intramurals, or just talk to as many people as you can in classes or on campus. I would tell my senior self you are about to dive into a new chapter in your life and you have the power to make it amazing, so make the best of it!

The school focuses greatly on only a few majors which makes the students and entire campus have a low diversity.

Jenna

All the students at River Falls I see as driven individuals that work hard to obtain their goals in life.

Assuming that I was able to travel back in time to find my senior self, I would have some words of wisdom to say. I would have to begin that with in the pursuit of our life?s journey there will be some ups and downs we will have to face. It is the strength within us that will allow us to overcome these obstacles and pursue our ambitions. The strength of our self is not determined by our successes in life, but by our failures and how we are able to get back up when once defeated in what is sometimes the perilous battlefield of life. In showing our strength of character for perseverance we are fighting for what we believe in. Last year I wanted to attend a private college, unfortunately, financial aide and scholarships did not come through and I questioned my ability to succeed. If I learned anything within this year is nothing should detour me in what I want most in life. I have a 4.0 after my first semester in college. I am committed to excel and to attend the college I wanted to my senior year.

What I would consider the worst thing about my school is probably the size of the university and the surrounding town of River Falls. When I first toured perspective universities I was drawn towards universities with a smaller population size of undergraduate students. This is what attracted me to River Falls which had the small town and campus atmosphere. After completing my first semester I have realized that I am missing out on the true college experince that comes with the bigger universites.

Alisha

When I first attended college I was scared and didn't really know if I was going to succeed. I was nervous that I wouldnt make any friends or that all of my old friends would leave me and go on with their lives. I believed that without being in High School I was going to be lonely. Once I got to college I spent more time worrying about making friends and keeping the old ones then trying as well as I should've academically. So if I could go back I would tell myself "Don't worry, people come and people go. But you need to make the most of what you have now and worry less about what's in the past. Friends can come from anything, whether it be in an activity, class, or the room next door. Worry about what will help you to succeed rather than being socialable."

The worst thing about this school would have to be how available the advisors are. My advisor takes a long time to respond to my e-mails or help me with a situation and it can get rather frustraitng. But other then that it has turned out to be a good place of broadening your horizons, in a learning sense.

This University is very opening to whoever wishes to join. It is a great University that allows for people of any size, race, or gender. Personally I believe if your a hard- worker and willing to spend extra time doing home work or communicating with your professors then this school is a perfect choice. To me it's a school that anyone can join, as long as your willing to take risks and look at it as a good oportunity rather then just more school/ work.

Renee

Most have been very self-centered and unresponsible. I found this especially true this past semester with several of my classes requiring group projects. I was forced to complete most of the work myself in order to earn a decent grade and not rely upon the other group members to complete their assigned portions of the projects. I hope I find more mature students in my upper level classes the remainder of my college career.

Make sure you tour the campus of the college you've selected during the school year. Seeing the school in "real action" would help immensely in making sure the flow of a normal day meets what you're expecting. Register and take college level classes in high school and research with the admissions department at your selected college to see what credits they accept. My high school advisor did not guide me correctly and I missed out dearly on earning college credits while in high school and testing out of some college courses because I'd already taken the class in high school that would have allowed me to move up to higher level college courses as an incoming freshman. Stay focused to the end of high school and your study habits will transfer over to how you will have to work to excel in your college classes. Enjoy high school and remember you will most likely not see your friends for a while, but ydon't despair; you will most certainly make plenty of new friends at college.

Michelle

I would tell myself that it is ok not to know who I am and what I want. I have always been a planner; I plan for every little thing in my day and life. I think the hardest part of my college transition was experiencing so many different people, ideas, beliefs, and values. When confronted with a reality of so many different ideas, I was forced to reevaluate my position on many issues and for the first time in my life really take a stance. I was not living at home with my parents anymore and I had no one to tell me what I should think or do. College is an opportunity to explore who you are, what you believe, and what you stand for. It is ok to be unsure of how you feel and to explore different ideas and ways of life. This exploration will make you a stronger person and will help you to create more solid beliefs as you graduate and enter the workforce as an adult.

I think that the recognition UW-River Falls gets in the Twin Cities is one of the best things about my school. One of the big reasons I decided to come to this school was because it was the cheapest offer I had and the education program is well known in the Twin Cities where I want to teach when I graduate. I think that it is a really good thing that high schools in the Twin Cities recognize River Falls as a good school to attend for its education program.

I brag most about the 20 boneless wings at the restaurant right next to campus. The cheap off campus food that is available at the restraunt is really cool.

Lindsay

My classmates are friendly, respectfull to others, funny, and career oriented.

My classmates are friendly, respectfull to others, funny, and career oriented.

First off I would tell myself to learn some great study skills. I always studied one way, but sometimes that don't work out. Secondly I would tell myself to take some AP courses or some college courses because you end up taking them classes anyway oonce you get to college so why not get them done earlier. Lastly I would tell myself don't be afraid of talking to new people, everyone is just as scared as you, so make the first move.

The most frustrating thing at my school is that some teachers think that they are so much better than their students. This can cause teachers to be mean about answering your questions, and also it causes unfriendly friendships. It makes learning in the classroom less fun and enjoyable whn you have a teacher correcting you or telling you are wrong all the time. That is why we don't raise our hands anymore to anwser questions. Teachers need to be more on our level than up on theres.

Jabaar

My school is best known for its football team.

My school is best known for its football team.

If I was to go back in time to my high school self I would start off warning myself about the work and how much you must study to do the work. I would also myself to get used to waking up in the morning to go to morning classes. I would tell myself that I must make sure I am responsible enough to go to class on time and make myself do my homework because when in college your parents cant help you by pushing you to do your homework.

I consider the housing to be the worst thing about my school.

Wendy

I would tell myself to not hold back when I got here, to jump into everything that interested me! I would want to talk to random people in the lunch room and ask If I could sit with them. Getting off to a strong start by planning for when semester projects are due and to not procrastinate would be a major tip to give myself. Attending campus sponsered events like concerts, speakers, and demonstrations would be another piece of advice that would allow me to adjust to college life.

That I didn't wan't to major in Elementary Education; I would have like to start off right away with history.

The campus is absolutely beautiful and we have so much green grass to appreciate. Our teachers know our names and class sizes are small. The campus is inclusive, so there is never a long ways to walk, anywhere.

University of Wisconsin-River Falls administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.