University of Wisconsin-River Falls Top Questions

Jacole

If I could go back and give advice to my high school self is the importance of learning how to create a budget. In high school the personal finance class isn’t a requirement so I didn’t take it. Once I got to college I realized I was spending more money than I was taking in. When you have that freedom to swipe your card without a parent guiding you it becomes a lot easier to spend money you don’t have. I had to learned very quickly how to create a budget for myself. The real world is more expensive than I ever realized in high school. My next piece of advice is to experience all you can your last year. My senior year I was mostly going to a technical college because I only needed English to graduate. But because I mostly taking college credits I passed on a lot of high school activities. When you go to high school you don’t realize how many memories you are making. I would say don’t pass up those chances to hang out with your grade because you never know when it will be the last time.

I would tell myself that I shouldn't take advantage of the resources that I had at my disposal while I was in school. I was an art major and I had access to fully fuctional studios with all of the expensive equipment that would take me decades to save up to own. Being able to work in those spaces whenever I needed was a true blessing and I believe I created some of my best work in the studios at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls.

High school was a nightmare for me. I didn't get along with students or the teachers and I was always in trouble with someone. All I could do was pray college was going to be better and you know what, it was. The biggest thing I wish I would have done over the past few years is relax and trust yourself. I spent too much time uptight about things that didn't matter and the rest of the time I was too worried I would do something wrong. If I would have just relaxed and been myself sooner I would have liked my freshman year more. However, every experience I've had lead me to where I am now. From being bullied to being in a sorority officer, from severe depression to counseling those who need it, from an abusive relationship to meeting the man of my dreams. College has been amazing and I almost don't want to leave!

Bridget

1. Teach yourself how to study. I understand, it's boring. Nobody likes it. You wont regret learning how to study while you're still in high school instead of trying to figure it out in college. 2. Don't drink underage. Your freshman year in college you will watch people around you spiral downwards. Friends from your new school, friends from home, your roommate. They drink underage, get caught, get in trouble, and you're about to see many of them drop out. Alcohol can wait until your 21. It isn't worth the risk. 3. You CAN be a pharmacist. There are so many days full of struggle, so many times you wonder if it's the right major for you.. It is. You are smart enough. You will have to push yourself, but you will make it. I will make it. Push yourself for the next 6 years and you won't regret it.

Nicholle

To my former self I would try to be more involved in campus life. Do not spend all your time working and enjoy being a college student.

You need a back up plan. I know you're excited to get a softball scholarship and all, but you need to leave room for change. You're going to change; you're going to grow, and you need to allow that to happen. Don't be scared of new experiences. Start looking into scholarships now. Don't assume that softball will take you all the way through college. Also, people are no different. There are tons of people who still revolve around high school drama. Don't get caught up in what they have to say. Be you. Oh, and don't pack so much crap! You're not going to use half of it!

I would tell myself to plan ahead in every way possible. Nothing is going to happen in the way that I expect it to, and I have to be open to the changes that are coming my way. A whole new world is opening up, but it's okay to still love the old one. There is nothing wrong with realizing that I loved high school, even though I would never have admitted it. College may not be the brand new beginning that you were looking for, and a few unpredictable factors are going to come into play, but I am going to learn so much about myself that it will all be worth it. There is no need to be afraid, for I really underestimated myself when I first got to college. However, I would also tell myself to remember that the people at college do not care how cool I think I was in high school. As a new freshman, you have to rebuild your way to the top. Overall, I would make sure that I know that there are people who will always have my back, and that the journey is incredible.

There are many things that I wish I would have known going out of my senior year and into my freshman year of college. First of all, I would tell myself to more adamant about applying for scholarships and different financial aid opportunities. I pay for all of my tuition and room and board and have been able to save up just enough money each semester to pay it off, but now I am transferring to a 4 year university and will need more money to pay off my fees and it would have benefited to have applied for more scholarships that I am not eligible for now that I'm in college. I also would have told myself to drastically change my study habits. I did successfully adapt to the college workload, but it was like bending a metal bar. If I would have known what to expect coming into college and had practice spending more time doing school work I would have been more prepared. Lastly, I would have reminded myself that this is just the next step in life and to not spend time worrying about what is coming next, but embrace and take each moment captive.

Kristi

I would tell myself its not so scary, and to relax and connect with people. I am a very shy person, and I think I would have benifted more if I would have jumped in to more school activites right away. I would also have told myself to go out and see the world sooner. There's so many great oppertunites to take advantage of.

Katrina

Making the transition from high school to college is deceptively difficult. At first, I believed I had an easy time adjusting to life in the dorms and to the new class structure. My classes weren't that difficult and I already had a plan in place. But because I never had to work much in high school to get good grades, I fell into some bad college habits early on. I let the social side of college become too dominant, and it led me to skip classes and miss assignments. My first semester I earned the lowest grades I've ever had, all because I didn't take the education side of college seriously enough. Even though I turned my behavior around for the rest of my college career, the mark doesn't go away. Meanwhile, the things and people I did focus on are no longer a part of my life. My advice would be this: never forget that the reason you're in college is to get an education. Everything else is just frosting on the cake.

Theresa

If I were to go back to my High School Senior self I would start by telling myself to take college more seriously and get it over with. You have a scholarship for a short period of time that will pay for school, don’t wait and waist free money that you worked so hard at in high school to earn. It is not as easy, or cheap, as it seemed at the time to go back after taking a long break. Starting a family early is not the best idea and waiting until you have completed college to do so will lead to the most fulfilling life for not only you but also for your future children and the whole family. I know that you think you know it all right now but in reality you don’t and you will fall much harder if you don’t realize that this is fact. With that, try to give you mom a little bit of credit she has lived a lot longer than you and has a lot of life lessons that she can teach you so that you don’t have to learn for yourself the hard way.

Kana

The biggest and most advice that I would give myself is to continue on applying for as many scholarship I possibly can in order to not make my parents be the one who is helping to pay for my tuition right now. I could have listened to my parents about taking the oppurtunity to apply as much scholarship as I can so that I won't have to apply for loans that will create more interests for me in the future. As for right now, it is hard to find a decent job that will pay a good amount of money to work and because all I want to do is focus on is school, it is very difficult to find time to work and earn money. Motivation is one of the key things about being a high school senior transitioning into a student who is attending college. Without motivation, there is no way to become successful in life and in doing so, we students should not have to worry about money for college, but to have strength and motivation to apply for as many grants and scholarships out there in order to work harder in life.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to speak with a career counselor before leaving high school becuase they are there to help students figure out a career goal. I would tell myself to live in a dorm, even though I cringed at the thought. Get involved with as many activities and clubs as possible, its the easiest way to meet people with your interests. Early on in college take advantage of the research opportunities, internships and study abroad programs. They are great learning experiences and look great on your resume. Ask as many questions as possible, ask for help. Make myself stand out. its easier to come back from making mistakes in college than in real life.

For starters, when looking into a laptop and printer, get one that suits your needs right away instead of having to go back and puchase something else. Also when you are at college, the professors make you print out alot of notes and stuff. Don't be afraid of using too much paper. It's normal to print out a book's worth of notes. Also, make sure to bring all of your clothes. There will be some classes that you will need to dress up for in a business, professional type manner. Lastly, there is no such thing as being too prepared. It's one of those things where you would rather have too much than not enough.

richard

Dear Richard, When you get to college there are a couple of things that you should start doing right away. First of all, you should start studying for the GRE from day one. By the time you are ready to take the test they will be realising a new version. This being said it is very important that you sign up to take the old version. Second, it would be very beneficial for you to take a latin course. This should help your verbal GRE score. In addition, you will have many opportunities to conduct research. It is important that you take advantage of all of them. Finally, do not ever give up! Stay resilient! You are smart and will do great things do not let little things, or big for that matter, stand in your way. I will not say where, but I do want you to know that you accepted a Phd offer from a division one school. In turn, stop stressing out. -Richard

Johannah

I would tell myself to buy a planner and be organized. There are times when you become overwhelmed and forget to do things like assignments and socail activities. Not only do you feel guilty but it also gives you a bad reputation.

MaiNhoua

I came to college unprepared and not knowing what I was about to get myself into. If I could go back in time to when I was in high school, I will tell myself to prepare more for college. In high school, I did many college visits but I never had the chance to join a pre-college program that supported financial aid. If I could I would definitely go back and make myself join a pre-college program that would get me ready for the challanges of college. I would also take more challenging classes and study harder to obtain good study habits. My first year in college I had several problem with finances. If I knew that I would be providing myself with my own class materials I would have saved more. I would have told myself to set goals for what I want to accomplish in college and start them as soon as possible.

zach

Meet as many people as you can right away, spend an hour a day at least reviewing course material

Having completed my freshman year of college, I wish that I could go back to senior year and give myself a few pieces of advice. First, I have always been an extremely hard working and dedicated student. This is something I am very proud of. However, I would recommend to myself to not stress. This is something much easier said than done. I am a perfectionist, therefore, I often stress easily over projects, finances, tests, and assignments. When other students study the night before, I start studying and preparing weeks before the assignment is actually due. This past year though I learned that it does not good to stress. Another piece of advice that I would give myself would be to not take “senior classes”, but rather intense courses that would prepare myself for the college load. Like most seniors, I chose to take a variety of courses that did not greatly challenge myself. I experienced the result of this during my first year of college. To all high school students, I recommend taking advantage of College Prep classes and not take one-minute for granted, all too soon High School will be over and you will enter real world.

If I could go back, the first thing I would say is don't procrastinate. I have had way to many late nights attempting to finish homework and big projects. This then leads to falling asleep in class the next day, so I would advice myself to get enough sleep and pay attention in class, even though I know all the material. College isn't just about the grades and classes, so I would tell myself to get out of my comfort zone and meet new people. I would say get involved in as much as possible right away. The more people you meet and can connect with the better. I would say it is good not to have a job the first semester. The workload picks up in about a month and I am glad I had that time to study for tests and finish homework. Overall I would say not to worry about it because change can be a good thing. College is part of growing up and discovering who you are. Don't sit in your room waiting for an oppurtunity to arise, go out and make them yourself.

Cristina

Out if this college experience I have learned so much, get know people, different individuals who have different backgrounds, and much more out this college. I have seen students grow spiritually. physically,and emotionally. This tells me that indivisuals here want make a differenece in their lives and in the lives of others. So they can be an example to the world and to their families who don't believe in that difference in making their lives not be easy as it is because everyday in life we have challenege and obstacles standing in our way, feeling overwhelmed, depressed, anxious, disappointed, and other types of feelings, but no...we have a different state of mind to change how feel because we start thinking about it that's how we are going to react towards the situation. And changing that thinking or that mind-set we have someone who is greater and who can make it possible is the Lord, Jesus Christ who gives us the strength and the wisdom to do things in this life.

College has given me the chance to explore new ideas and re-evaluate all of the beliefs I held when I came to University. It opens new doors to discover the real "me" and to become the best person I can be. Beyond learning more about myself, I have come to know a lot more about the world that surrounds me. College has given me new perspectives on all sorts of things including citizenship, ethics, nature, science, and the value of a liberal arts education. I am very grateful for the opportunity to attend college because I know that in the future the knowledge I am gaining there will be indespensible.

Asher

When I first started college, I was not so much excited for the classes as I was for the nightlife; the wee-hour dance parties were much more enticing than the laborious classes. But as my first college year fades away and a second year shoulders on, I'm finding that there is quite more to be said for the humble study hours than I first thought. I have found that the ecstasy of a wild party may be great for a few hours, but the pride in my accomplishments lasts tenfold longer. Truly, the only thing more exilerating than achievements through hard work is the joy of true learning. My college experience has taught me that the best happiness is being able to apply what I've learned to help myself and others. The value of this lesson is boundless to all manners of work, useful to any walk of life, and I know I will hold on to it dearly. I plan to learn a lot more than just this virtue in college; but if that is all I take away, well, I think I'll still do alright.

I got an invaluable lifetime experience that only a higher learning institution could offer. I got to meet others with drastically different viewpoints, backgrounds, and languages and from them, I learned, changed, and became a better person.

Nathaniel

I have learned hw to grow into what the real wold is like today. It may be hard but working harder will make the trasistion a lot better, and doing the work now is better than later.

From my college experience, I have grown to be a better person. I have learned from my college experience about how to become an adult and be more responsible in the decisions I make. It has been valuable to attend because I am learning so much that will make me more successful in life.

It has been valuable for me to attend college because it has opened doors for me that otherwise would have remained closed if I hadn?t taken the opportunity to stretch my mind and discover my place in this college, city, state, country, and world. At the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, I?ve had the opportunity to be a student manager in the First-Year Experience Office to welcome new students to our campus on registration and orientation days, take interactive courses towards my degree in Elementary Education, study abroad in Scotland, and make many new friendships that will last me a lifetime. In the year that I have left at this university, I will be student teaching in Australia and then in Wisconsin or Minnesota. I plan on using these experiences to make me a better teacher and person by keeping an open mind; something I learned to do as a college student. It is clear to me that my time spent in college is equipping me with the tools I need to be an active, educated member of society.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would want to tell myself two important things that would influence my future life in college. The first and most important thing I would want to tell myself would be to be more active in clubs and community service as a college freshman. I believe that community service can be one of the most rewarding things about the college experience. Community service is important because it offers one the opportunity to give back to others and their community. Clubs can help you develop leadership skills as well as meet new and exciting people that you otherwise would have not met. There are tons of opportunities at UWRF to be involved with community service and clubs. The second thing I would want to tell myself would be to take classes in college that I wouldn't normally think would be interesting to me. By taking different classes outside of my comfort zone I am able to developing a diverse set of skills that opens up new experiences and opportunities that can ultimately lead to a more fulfilling and enriched life.

Don't be so nervous. It's a lot of fun and you will enjoy it. I was very nervous to be leaving my high school friends and heading off to college by myself. However, I made friends fairly easily through the first-year experience activities that they planned and then once swimming started I had even more friends and people to hang out with.

If I were to go back in time to tell myself about college life i don't know if I would. My transition for high school into college i felt was just right. In order to learn and make myself a better student i needed to both succed and fail. Over the first few months of college I remembered what my mother had been telling me all through High school "you need to stay focused on your work." By keeping focused and not falling into the distractions of college life i have been able to maintan a very good GPA and with a new semester begining i feel that i need to live to this motto and stay focued on the path ahead, a path to my goals and dreams.

As a high school senior, I had many questions about college life and how I would adjust. As I was packing up to start a whole new chapter in my life, I was excited yet full of anticipation. Looking back as a college sophomore, the one topic I wish I could have warned myself about is balance. I spent virtually my first two college semesters in my dorm room. While I desired to branch out and explore various extra-curricular activities, the pressure I placed on myself to obtain perfect grades hindered my social life. This year I have become more actively involved in bible studies, clubs, and volunteer opportunities. Despite venturing out of my dorm room and campus library, my grades did not suffer like I had feared. Learning how to manage your time is so important in order to get the most out of your college experience. I have learned that college is not just a means to an end. Instead of focusing on the degree at the end of the tunnel, it is vital to simply enjoy the ride. After all, not all life lessons can be learned from textbooks; people must go out and experience them.

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get more sleep. Staying up to the wee hours of the morning to cram for a test is not worth the consequences. I would tell myself to learn better study habits so that I would be able to rest peacefully at night, fully knowing that I was prepared for the exam the following day. That way, I would have prevented myself from the consequences the lack of sleep brought. I wouldn't have missed the the last month of my senior year in high school because of mono. If I'd slept more, I would have been able to take pictures with my friends after graduation or go out to eat with my family. Instead, I hardly remember that day. A whole month of foggy memories, memories that should have been some of the most fun, memorable times of my youth. So whats the key to avoiding this or other consequences? The answer is sleep. Therefore, if I could go back, I would send a letter to myself that said, "Dear Alicia, please get enough sleep. You'll thank me someday. Sincerely, Youself."

Dan

I would tell myself to start seeking out help in math right from the begining of the semester. Even though I knew that math does not come easy for me, I told myself that I could handle the class just fine on my own. I was extremely wrong and now have to take the class again next year.

I think that if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the greatest advice that I could give myself would be, "Don't be afraid to be yourself." The transition from high school to college is scary for countless students and one of the most common fears is not being accepted or not fitting in at the new school. High school was comfortable, I had lots of friends, and I knew all of my teachers. At college though, everything was new, different, unknown, and very intimidating! This fear of not being accepted in my new surroundings held me back from doing many things and getting involved on campus during my freshman year of college, and this is one of my biggest regrets. Once I opened up, started getting involved, and met new people, college became much more enjoyable for me! I didn't dread leaving my dorm room or my corner of the library anymore because I had friends I could hang out with who loved me for me. I realized I had no reason to fear being myself. This is the best advice that I could give to anyone starting college!

Kalina

I would tell myself to slow down and enjoy the ride. When I was in high school I couldnt wait to get out and into college and on my own. But looking back now, I would have loved to spend more time in every moment because it is the journey that makes you not the destination. College is great and I love it but everything goes by so fast. I would tell myself to soak up everything I can because before you know it everything will change. Live for today and live life to the fullest everyday. Do not get stressed out and allow things to bother you because everything happens for a reason and it will all work itself out. Relax and enjoy the adventure of growing up and finding out who you are or what you want to be. Be open to new things and be strong in your morals but explore also. Take in everything you can and allow yourself to grow as a person.

I feel like the best advice I could tell myself or anyone going into college is that college is what you make of it. If you go into school with a negative attitude or expecting others to make the transition for you, you will end up blamming the school for your unhappiness there. Being a some what shy person I would tell myself that you need to step outside your comfort zone. That goes for your school and social life. To get the best of your education ask questions from the professors, go to the counselor, check out events dealing with your major. Knowing how my first semester went I would tell myself don't be affriad to make new friends! If you feel alone, do something about it! Join clubs, intramurals, or just talk to as many people as you can in classes or on campus. I would tell my senior self you are about to dive into a new chapter in your life and you have the power to make it amazing, so make the best of it!

Assuming that I was able to travel back in time to find my senior self, I would have some words of wisdom to say. I would have to begin that with in the pursuit of our life?s journey there will be some ups and downs we will have to face. It is the strength within us that will allow us to overcome these obstacles and pursue our ambitions. The strength of our self is not determined by our successes in life, but by our failures and how we are able to get back up when once defeated in what is sometimes the perilous battlefield of life. In showing our strength of character for perseverance we are fighting for what we believe in. Last year I wanted to attend a private college, unfortunately, financial aide and scholarships did not come through and I questioned my ability to succeed. If I learned anything within this year is nothing should detour me in what I want most in life. I have a 4.0 after my first semester in college. I am committed to excel and to attend the college I wanted to my senior year.

Alisha

When I first attended college I was scared and didn't really know if I was going to succeed. I was nervous that I wouldnt make any friends or that all of my old friends would leave me and go on with their lives. I believed that without being in High School I was going to be lonely. Once I got to college I spent more time worrying about making friends and keeping the old ones then trying as well as I should've academically. So if I could go back I would tell myself "Don't worry, people come and people go. But you need to make the most of what you have now and worry less about what's in the past. Friends can come from anything, whether it be in an activity, class, or the room next door. Worry about what will help you to succeed rather than being socialable."

Renee

Make sure you tour the campus of the college you've selected during the school year. Seeing the school in "real action" would help immensely in making sure the flow of a normal day meets what you're expecting. Register and take college level classes in high school and research with the admissions department at your selected college to see what credits they accept. My high school advisor did not guide me correctly and I missed out dearly on earning college credits while in high school and testing out of some college courses because I'd already taken the class in high school that would have allowed me to move up to higher level college courses as an incoming freshman. Stay focused to the end of high school and your study habits will transfer over to how you will have to work to excel in your college classes. Enjoy high school and remember you will most likely not see your friends for a while, but ydon't despair; you will most certainly make plenty of new friends at college.

I would tell myself that it is ok not to know who I am and what I want. I have always been a planner; I plan for every little thing in my day and life. I think the hardest part of my college transition was experiencing so many different people, ideas, beliefs, and values. When confronted with a reality of so many different ideas, I was forced to reevaluate my position on many issues and for the first time in my life really take a stance. I was not living at home with my parents anymore and I had no one to tell me what I should think or do. College is an opportunity to explore who you are, what you believe, and what you stand for. It is ok to be unsure of how you feel and to explore different ideas and ways of life. This exploration will make you a stronger person and will help you to create more solid beliefs as you graduate and enter the workforce as an adult.

First off I would tell myself to learn some great study skills. I always studied one way, but sometimes that don't work out. Secondly I would tell myself to take some AP courses or some college courses because you end up taking them classes anyway oonce you get to college so why not get them done earlier. Lastly I would tell myself don't be afraid of talking to new people, everyone is just as scared as you, so make the first move.

Jabaar

If I was to go back in time to my high school self I would start off warning myself about the work and how much you must study to do the work. I would also myself to get used to waking up in the morning to go to morning classes. I would tell myself that I must make sure I am responsible enough to go to class on time and make myself do my homework because when in college your parents cant help you by pushing you to do your homework.

Wendy

I would tell myself to not hold back when I got here, to jump into everything that interested me! I would want to talk to random people in the lunch room and ask If I could sit with them. Getting off to a strong start by planning for when semester projects are due and to not procrastinate would be a major tip to give myself. Attending campus sponsered events like concerts, speakers, and demonstrations would be another piece of advice that would allow me to adjust to college life.

Going away from home was as good as you thought it was going to be. It is a new adventure and you encounter things for the first time. Remember to find that balance between school and social life. Don't let it take over like I seen it do to some people. School is there to educate you. General education classes are something you just have to deal with. Just pass them to get into your major classes and you will finally enjoy class. The people you will meet will change your life. You'll look back and realize that even though you just met these people less than a year and a half ago, you can't imagine life without them. These people will help you succeed when things aren't going the way you planned. Things will go astray. Just learn to accept the fact and move on. Even though at the time your problem will seem like the biggest mountain to cross, when you look back, it'll seem like an ant hill. College is not easy. For once you'll have to apply yourself at your studies. Just remember you're there for a reason. Experience.

I would tell myself not to go so far away because family is very important and its not worth leaving them. I would also tell myself that a big school is not the place for me, because it is very hard to make friends and get to know your classmates.

Don't take time off from school, it just makes things that much harder, and just keep pushing yourself towards your goal. Remember nothing can stand in your way!

I would try to keep my grades higher in high school and also try to do better on my ACT. I would also spend more time looking into what college to attend by going on a campus tour and looking better into my options.

I would tell myself that even though it's fustrating and annoying to study every night and work hard in class, college isn't like high school were you can get away with not studying or barely studying you really have to put in effort, I learned that the hard way, if you work at it you can get it done! And if you have a hard here don't let it get you down, keep working on it, if you hit bottom the only way to go is up!

If I had a chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not let anything hold you back. If there is something you really want to do, do it. I would also tell myself to be more involved and take advantage of every opportunity. You never know who you might meet by randomly talking to people or going to a new event. Even if there is something you may not want to do, do it. The things you might learn from these opportunities and the experiences you might have could be the best of your life. Don't be afraid to take risks and do things on your own. You will learn that you don't always need the approval of other people and will not always have approval from some people. You may be afraid to leave home and you family, but don't be. The first week is the hardest, it only gets easier. As far as school goes, just do the best that you can. College is a once in a lifetime experience, don't regret not doing something because you were too scared to do it.

Cost is obviously a big factor but I recommend you visiting the college. If it potentially feels like home right away, or you feel confortable just being there, I recommend that you choose that one. As far as making the most of your college experience, I say be involved as much as possible. THis gives you the opportunity to meet some amazing people., which could potentially be your friends for life. Also work hard, but don't get too carried away with grades. Grades don't define you as a person, and if you study and do your best, and get the help you need when you need it, than that is all they could ask.