Stevens Point, WI
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Shannon

They are super environmentally concious which I love and there was a strons sense of community. Also the Campus Crusade for Christ movement is the largest in the State at Stevens Point.

Shannon, don't worry so much about college, you will get along great with a random roommate and the dorm that you ended in that you think is not cool is the dorm in which you will meet your best friends. Don't stress about deciding a major because you are going to change it. Not everyone has their life planned out before college. You change so much in college that the person you are now is different from the person you will become. Spend time with your family because when you go to college, they won't be there all the time for you. You don't have to worry what others think of you. Be yourself and let your true self-shine instead of conforming to others. Get involved in organizations right away so you get connected with a good group of friends. Start applying for scholarships now because once college starts, you will have less time to apply much needed aid. All in all, trust that your college experience will be the most rewarding, amazing and best experience thus far. You will learn many life lessons and see yourself grow and change in ways unimaginable.

During hunting season everyone goes home to hunt so there are not a lot of people there on the weekends.

Annie

Hey there! You?ve got a lot of changes coming up. It won?t be easy, but it will be good. So get ready, get excited, and remember this: Firstly, don?t worry; it won?t help. College brings new culture, new people, new ideas, and new values. You will have to remember who you are and trust yourself in order to deal with them. BUT, don?t hide from the changes. Take advantage of every opportunity and get involved. Staying separated will just alienate you. When it seems hard, be stubborn. It?s up to you, girl. Secondly, don?t get caught up in competition. It doesn?t matter who has the highest grade or went to the best prep school. You have a purpose: you?re at college because you want to get a good education in order to give back to the world. Stay directed and love it! Finally, I know you believe that you need to live for yourself or it isn?t worth living. That?s true, but it doesn?t mean you shouldn?t engage human dialogue. The world is more diverse than you can comprehend. Open your mind and enjoy. Love, Me

Amber

Knowing what I know now about college life, the most useful advice I could give myself as a high school senior is to put my studies first. There are many people in college who are just not as serious as I am about my grades and how well I do in class. In many situations, the reason why student go out so much is not because studying always comes very easy to them and they have alot of free time, but because they would rather spend their time partying or taking part in alternate activieties. If I want to be successful, I must take responsibility for myself, and take it upon my self to do what is in my own best intrest. To do this i would suggest making myself a weekly schedual, filled with daily goals. By doing this, at the end of the week I will have acomplished everything I need to without stressing myself out thinking about my duties all at once.

One of the best things about my college, Kent State University, Is the diversity of students on campus. People from different cities, State, and even countries come together to fulfill a common goal of gaining an education to ensure a promising future. Meeting people, and learning about their varies lifestyles and backgounds really broadened my horizen and opened me up to see just how large the world is. I have learned to accept opinions that differ from mine, and to be open to beliefs of others.

If I were to shed knowledge on myself as a high school senior about college, I would stress just how different it is from high school and how important time managment is. In college, my amount of free time has nearly tripled. However, the difficulty level hasis much higher because i am expected to do the majority of learning on my own. this means that the majority of my free time must be spent in self learning and study time.

If I were able to go back to my high school self I would definitely influence some changes in my future. I would explain that it is best to follow my heart and not make school and life choices based on what the people around me think I should do. I studied in France for a semester and that helped me realize that I needed to create my own future and not let it be led by the people around me. It's your future and no one else's! Have adventures and do things outside of your comfort zone. I was at an art school during high school. I had big dreams but the outer forces in my life kept pushing those dreams deep down and not letting them surface. I would go back and tell my self to dream big dreams and even if people laugh in your face you can do it! I know now that everything depends on me and that if I want something I can make it happen if I just allow myself to dream. Dreaming is a hard thing to do when you are not in control of your own future. Just dream.

My school provides a great environment for learning with friendly staff and I feel like I am someone.

While in my senior year, I wasn't too worried about going to school, but I wish I would've asked people more questions about college life and what to do if you're not sure what you want to do. I would tell myself that I should be in an environment that is comfortable and not worry about what other people say. I went to a different school last year because when I was a senior I was pressured into going to that school because of someone I thought was going to that school. I was very unhappy, but after switching to UW Stevens Point I am doing very well in school- I got a 4.0 last semester! I also would've told myself to focus more on my AP class so that I would've had to take fewer credits in college. I ended up having to take that class in college!

Someone that may not want to attend this school is someone that is looking for a big city feel.

Brandyn

Choosing what college I wanted to attend was the hardest part of senior year. I would recommend that people get started early on the application process because the earlier you start, the better chance you have of getting into your highest preference. I would also reccomend visiting the schools you've been accepted to before choosing which one to enroll at because sometimes the brochures don't do justice for what the school is actually like. After I visited UW Stevens Point, I realized it was better than what I thought and was the deciding factor in me enrolling. As for the transition from high school to college life isn't as hard as some people make it seem either. I was worried, especially not knowing anyone, about my first day. Leaving the car was the hardest part, but the first week was crutial for me. Not because of getting homesick, but because I met almost all my new friends in the first week and got acquainted with my new environment. In conclusion, I would like to say that students shouldn't be worried, but rather embrace the new experience and make the best of it.

I truly think this school fits just about everyone's personality and needs. If people don't have a major in mind or don't like attending small-medium population schools though, then UWSP isn't for them.

I brag about our intense biological and natural science curriculums. A lot of people think Stevens Point, being a city of only 8,000 people, doesn't have anything to do, but I inform them otherwise. I talk about the activities students can partake in like sports events, watching movies, dances, and hall activities all for free!

Knowing what I know now about college life, and making the transition, there is one major piece of advice I would give myself. The wisdom I would impart is to, as soon as you arrive, find the clubs, groups, or organizations that do things you enjoy, and have people with whom you can relate. Finding these people with similar interests and goals really just makes the transition much easier. The people you meet serve as your family, prevent loneliness, and overall, just keep you true to yourself, and can become some of your best lifelong friends. Although this advice is given often, I honestly believe that the best thing you can do while heading to college, is to find the people who love the things you love, and you will find yourself in a familiar atmosphere, therefore making the college transition much easier.

Before I came to this school, I wish I had known more about the different atmospheres of all of the residence halls. Each hall has a different "thing" going on. Be it multicultural, eco-friendly, or really anything else. The one thing I really wish I had known is the different atmosphere of the halls, and which one I fit in the best.

You know, I think that all kinds of people can attend this school. There is no reason any kind of person shouldn't attend this school, unless it is simply a matter of having a major not offered at UW Stevens Point. The students at my school are very accepting toward all different kinds of people, and I feel as though everyone can find a place where they would fit in.

Bethany

My mom attended this college and from what she has told me about it, I felt that it was somewhere that I wanted to attend. It turned out that this campus is perfect for me. It is not only close to home, but just far enough away to allow independance. I had considered going to Madison or Oshkosh, but I didn't like how expensive Madison was, and how far away from home Oshkosh was. I enjoy attending the University of Stevens Point because their Psychology classes and programs are exactly what I need for my career.

Dear High School Graduate, Congratulations! You made it through high school, believe me I know it was difficult. I?m writing this letter as a guide to help you to transition into college. I want to inform you that these next two years will be the hardest time of your life. No matter what happens, you must stay positive. You'll have money troubles, like everyone else, but just remember to save your money and only treat yourself every once in a while. You will also have family problems that will force you to move out on your own, but don't worry because it will give you life's experiences and you will learn from your mistakes. When you do fall off the horse, get back on and use some duct tape to prevent it the next time. Just remember to keep believing in yourself. Don?t lose sight of your dreams for the future. I am so proud of you. Everything will fall into place soon enough. By the time you catch up with me, you will have already found your knight in shining armor. I wish you the best of luck. Sincerely, Someone Who Cares

I think that this school is for anyone who wants to be successful and graduate from college. You are bound to make friends, succeed in your classes, and graduate with a purpose and goal for what you want to do as your career. I think the best thing about my school is the library. It is a great resource for writing papers. I also enjoy the atmosphere and the people. I would like to be a Counselor after I graduate, so it is nice to meet new people and get to know them.

David

Knowing what I knew back in high school was to take school much more seriously. I have no strong regrets of my past. Two regards that would have better me post-graduation. First, was that I should have gotten a job during my junior/senior years to handle more responsibilities and manage work/study habits. And secondly, to have taken a stronger approach in my future degree in the Culinary Arts. Had I known this career path to be my true passion, I would have taken the initiative of joining other programs and associations that would help younger audiences interested in this field and ultimately provide scholarships to the cooking school I am currently attending; 'The Art Institute of Atlanta.'

Lindsay

After only one semester of college, I realized that it isn't nearly as difficult of a transition from high school to college life as I convinced myself it would be. I am still new to the college experience so I understand exactly how terrifying it can be for some people. I was really nervous about finding my way around campus and meeting new people too, but once you're there, you'll realize it's not so bad at all. However, there are a lot of changes such as finals, picking courses, dorm life, and study time that can be more challenging to get used to. You are expected to study two hours for every hour of class to keep up with the materials, so plan out a time each day where you can just sit down and review materials. You also have advisors for your major who help you pick courses you need and get you your final exam schedules, but most questions can be easily found on the school's webpage. Lastly, get involved in the dorm's floor activities to meet people who may be your friends for the rest of your life. Enjoy it!!

The best thing about my high school is the amount of success we have seen from both the students' and the teachers' effort. While I was at the high school our basketball, track and field, dance, and tennis teams went to state at least one of the four years. We also had a really successful music department with several students who will be pursuing a bachelor degree in music. This is what makes high school a great experience. Watching our school succeed makes it so much more enjoyable, gets students motivated to try new activities, and get involved.

The worst thing about high school is how strongly students feel the need to meet today's social standards. Being a teenager today is hard when you are constantly being judged for things that shouldn't matter. In today's society, social standards are set very high. For example, all over the media we are shown images of what we are expected to look like to be successful, popular, and happy. They somehow forget that the most important thing to remember in high school is to be yourself and do what you enjoy most. Otherwise, you dread everyday of school.

University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.